Evolving the atmosphere

370 posts
Tart Man
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Evolving the atmosphere

by Tart Man » 11 Apr 2009 00:43

starliaison ...but the swearing was such that they have a list of people asking for their money back because the language was so bad.

Can I have my money back for the football being so bad?

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 11 Apr 2009 05:53

Football not theatre - one chant which I haven't really heard before. It summed it up entirely. We're there to shout, scream, cry and live the game. The stewards were terrible (that black guy the worst), and he made the game unenjoyable.

As for the language, it wasn't that bad was it? The chants were not based on swearing.

Yesterdays game has ruined any potential I had for going to any more at home. I haven't been for months (not plastic), but I've lost passion for it. I go for a good time and I will keep going, regardless of results if I'm enjoying it. I just don't enjoy going the madejski anymore, as it's just a whole of nothingness.

My friend who supports Burnley came with me yesterday, he's been to about 50 grounds as a supporter, and his observation was there was no energy in the fans (on the whole). Any time the players surged forward, it's a natural sight to see half the stadium stand, and some noise generated. There was nothing though. It was no criticism by him, as he understood the intention in GU1, and it's not a criticism by me. At least not one of the fans.

The club seem intent on trying to ruin any real atmosphere. It's not going to change, and I'd rather go elsewhere. I've already resigned myself to going to away games only (did that ages ago). I can't see myself going to any more games at home - except Birmingham.

If you do another GU1 event, put me down on the list as I'll back it all the way.

Rex
Hob Nob Addict

by Rex » 11 Apr 2009 08:44

Thats exactly why the away games are sometimes the better atmosphere. The core minority tend to be congregated together making it a better experience despite the result on the pitch.

Best aways :

Doncaster
Bristol (for once a large away support and totally animated)
Cardiff

Winchester Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Winchester Royal » 11 Apr 2009 08:59

Heard you a couple of time from Y25, but could see there were 3 tangos and two yellowcoats.

Next time, do it without the club knowing?

Y25

by Y25 » 11 Apr 2009 09:54

I could see there were a few people looking a bit more lively in the top left hand corner nearest the South stand but to be honest I couldn't hear any noise coming from them during the game.

Wouldn't they have been better located nearer the halfway line and tried to get others to join in from left and right.

I'm all for the trying and effort but I don't think it worked.

Come back to Y25

Once were Biscuitmen

by Once were Biscuitmen » 11 Apr 2009 11:40

It was always a mistake to put this in the most prawn sandwich intensive stand. If I could not see the tangos I would not have even known there was anything different at all from any other match. The only noise we are ever going to get is in Y25/26, why not focus on getting people to move season tickets there?

AlexY25
Hob Nob Regular

by AlexY25 » 11 Apr 2009 13:40

At the beginning of the game there was about 20-40 people getting involved but as soon as the the stewards came out, it reduced to like 10 of us. Was a bit of a shame, since it's harder to ignore the stewards when the numbers are reduced.

Rex
Hob Nob Addict

by Rex » 11 Apr 2009 13:44

So what were you singing that was so shocking and is never heard all over at the east stand. :?

Or was it the proximity of the same chants being sung elsewhere.

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 11 Apr 2009 13:46

I sit in GU4 and I'll add my tuppence worth for you. I heard no unacceptable language from GU1, but then that is because I heard nothing at all from GU1. It was a great idea but it fell short in the execution (through little fault of the organisers - the evidence seems to be that not enough people were interested in the experiment working). I could see that there was a small group of fans in GU1 - but it wasn't a significant group and that was obvious when they started singing - they were drowned out by the general noise.

It might be worth trying again, but if it is to succeed it needs more commitment from genuinely interested fans.

Oh, and if you want the rest of the UW to join in then get real and sing clean songs that are supportive of RFC - you'll be surprised by the response, I suspect.

Toon Toon Blue army

by Toon Toon Blue army » 11 Apr 2009 13:53

starliaison The feedback I have had from the club is that although they wanted the experiment to succeed, it fell short in one important aspect and that is language. The songs were good, the standing was Ok but the swearing was such that they have a list of people asking for their money back because the language was so bad. I'm afraid that having asked for a favour in waiving the rule of changing your season ticket only when you bring a friend so that it was possible to move to GU1, we have used up a lot of goodwill and next time RFC will be more reluctant to help.
#

LOL at Reading fans and Reading FC in general. Why I am definatly not renewing next year. Fair play to you guys for trying though.

Royal_Belly

by Royal_Belly » 11 Apr 2009 14:17

I admit the atmosphere has been rubbish this season but it has never been great at the Mad Stad and it never will be great. However, a rubbish atmosphere would never stop me renewing my season ticket - I'm not there to chant all throughout the game! if a chant starts up of course I will join in - but I buy my season ticket to watch the game - and it's always a bonus ball if the atmosphere happens to be good that game!!

I thought the atmosphere at yesterdays game was a lot better then that of previous home games - you could tell that the fans were up for the game - shame the players weren't!!!

Toon Toon Blue army

by Toon Toon Blue army » 11 Apr 2009 14:48

Royal_Belly I admit the atmosphere has been rubbish this season but it has never been great at the Mad Stad and it never will be great. However, a rubbish atmosphere would never stop me renewing my season ticket - I'm not there to chant all throughout the game! if a chant starts up of course I will join in - but I buy my season ticket to watch the game - and it's always a bonus ball if the atmosphere happens to be good that game!!

Complete opposite for me, of course I am interested in the game but the reason I actually go is for the atmosphere, letting off a bit of steam, having a day out. Some away days are brilliant despite losing, Derby away last season for example.

If I was only interested in the game I'd just watch it on the TV. You get better camera angles and get to see action replay's etc.

North Somerset Royal

by North Somerset Royal » 11 Apr 2009 15:43

I was in Y26 yesterday and although I had read this thread completely forgot that it was taking place until I read about in the programme when I got home.
Could I hear the GU sing? No I could not hear a F in thing.

working class hero

by working class hero » 11 Apr 2009 16:34

Some away days are brilliant despite losing, Derby away last season for example

You certainly are not interested in the game..... this was one of our few wins last season!

AlexY25
Hob Nob Regular

by AlexY25 » 11 Apr 2009 16:36

working class hero
Some away days are brilliant despite losing, Derby away last season for example

You certainly are not interested in the game..... this was one of our few wins last season!

:lol:

Deathy
Hob Nob Regular

by Deathy » 11 Apr 2009 17:31

For the very reason this pissed so many old fukers off, I'd keep going, keep sitting there and keep singing, only louder and louder. Just watch the swearing and they can't stop you!!!

AlexY25
Hob Nob Regular

by AlexY25 » 11 Apr 2009 17:34

Deathy For the very reason this pissed so many old fukers off, I'd keep going, keep sitting there and keep singing, only louder and louder. Just watch the swearing and they can't stop you!!!

The chant ''sit down for Steve Coppell'' didn't quite have the same effect.

Need more people to do it, so stewards can't just say sit down and they will but I can't see a big change happening anymore...

STAR Liaison
Hob Nob Regular

by STAR Liaison » 11 Apr 2009 17:41

royalexile So what were you singing that was so shocking and is never heard all over at the east stand. :?

If you read my post it was not the songs as the feedback was that they were good and the standing was not a problem- it was the language of shouted remarks.

I must admit, although the comments above were not mine, that I do not understand why there is an assumption that swearing = passion. It could be said to be a lack of vocabulary or imagination but it seems to be football speak that you cannot show passion without deliberately being offensive.

I would agree that choosing the Upper West did make this likely to be a problem as those who started it realised, and the club was very aware of. However despite that they were all willing to give it a try and there was a lot of goodwill hoping that it worked - both within the club and the stewards that I spoke to.

And for the comment about not telling the club - that is naive to the point of total ignorance as we had to ask the club for a special dispensation for ST holders to move without bringing a friend and also posting it on a public internet site does actually tell the club.

AlexY25
Hob Nob Regular

by AlexY25 » 11 Apr 2009 17:47

starliaison
royalexile So what were you singing that was so shocking and is never heard all over at the east stand. :?

If you read my post it was not the songs as the feedback was that they were good and the standing was not a problem- it was the language of shouted remarks.

I must admit, although the comments above were not mine, that I do not understand why there is an assumption that swearing = passion. It could be said to be a lack of vocabulary or imagination but it seems to be football speak that you cannot show passion without deliberately being offensive.

I would agree that choosing the Upper West did make this likely to be a problem as those who started it realised, and the club was very aware of. However despite that they were all willing to give it a try and there was a lot of goodwill hoping that it worked - both within the club and the stewards that I spoke to.

And for the comment about not telling the club - that is naive to the point of total ignorance as we had to ask the club for a special dispensation for ST holders to move without bringing a friend and also posting it on a public internet site does actually tell the club.

There wasn't a lot of swearing.
The only time that started was when the stewards repeatedly told people to sit down, and the chant ''if you hate stewards clap your hands''....which let to ''if you really f**king hate them clap your hands''.
That was the only real lot of swearing that happened.
I think standing was a massive problem as they got really aggressive towards Dan for standing.

chandog

by chandog » 11 Apr 2009 18:34

my mate is apparantly getting banned for life for using homophobic chants
"If you leave early youre gay" not really homophobic
luckily he was using someones member card who never goes anyway so the club will end up banning someone who doesnt care anymore

on the actual event. i thought it was fairly good. got drunk before hand had a great time - carried on chainting regardless of some dickhead stewards. disappointing that so many people decided that just becuase they were coming round telling us to sit down they saw that as a sign to stop singing as well

370 posts