Deathy
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Evolving the atmosphere

by Deathy » 11 Apr 2009 18:40

Banning for life is always nonsense.

chandog

by chandog » 11 Apr 2009 18:51

Deathy Banning for life is always nonsense.

i know seeing as he wasnt really to blame. the stewards just wanted someone to blame

after the game there was about 7 of us arguing with the stewards about how you are supposed to support the team
there argument was that 5 families had left becuase of us. the thing was that the stewards only warned us for standing up not for being rude or offensive.

we were actively supporting and yes maybe being slightly drunk and over excited made us go OTT but this is standard to football and people need to accept that fans arent all interested in turning up and having a lovely picnic. some people are there to properly back the team and make themselves heard

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 11 Apr 2009 20:14

As has been said it was totally the wrong place for this.

Full marks to those who tried to set it up but you were in a spot that was never going to have the desired effect amongst people who weren;t there for the same reasons as you (but had every much of a right to watch the game in the way they wanted to as you did.

It should have been in the North Stand, but i appreciate that would have been impossible.

Don;t give up on the idea, I would have thought getting a group of you sat together in a more appropriate area for next season shouldn't be impossible .
And i can't believe you don't see that the phrase used was homophobic. Posting on here that it wasn't his card is a bit daft as well as the club won;t have a problem finding who was actually using it. Maybe worth a discrete edit of your post ?

Royalshow

by Royalshow » 11 Apr 2009 20:35

Well dispite another dire performance i had a far better time in GU1 compared to the North Stand.It all started off really well but i think as soon as the stewards got involved some deiced to take it easy which is fair enough really considering most have a season ticket to potentially loose. The language was not clean but by no means really bad compared with most of the stuff you hear about being uttered in the east.Well done to everyone that got involved.

One of the things that really pissed me and i think quite a few of us off was the inconsistent nature of the stewarding. They constantly told us to sit down when large numbers of the Sheffield United fans were standing.I asked the stewards to tell there colleagues to enforce the policy in that area of the ground after being told that it was the law so many times by them in the first half. There response was that it was nothing to do with them. Also after the game i was told by a steward and i quote "If you want to stand go to the yellow section mate you are ALLOWED there" by yellow i assume he meant the east.So at different points during the game i was told that.....

1.It is illegal to stand at Football(even when the team scores)
2. You are allowed to stand in the east stand.
3 The Sheffield fans are getting excited so it is alright to stand.

Nice consistent stewarding RFC. :roll:

On a final note.All you lot in the east stand were not that loud and we were bang opposite .

Royalshow

by Royalshow » 11 Apr 2009 20:45

In relation to the friction between those singing and the rest of the upper west.We deliberately chose GU1, not to piss off those sitting near by but because it was an empty part of the ground.Throughout the 2 month period of organizing it GU1 remained empty pretty much, except for us.only the front cuple of rows had been sold apart from us at the back on the monday .So about 200 people must have bought tickets at the last minute,giving our publicity,many would have known we would be there.

Has it been successful? YES we now know we have at least 30 fans who don't was to sit on their hands all game.It's action to back up words.(Very unusual for hob nob i know).If we were to do a similar thing again people would know what to expect and maybe instead of 30 we would get 100?

Rex
Hob Nob Addict

by Rex » 11 Apr 2009 21:09

I think it would be very pertinent to get one of you guys to go to the next supporters / fans forums to iron out these issues with the stewards in relation to what constitutes a full breach of the clubs health and safety certificate. There is a clear division between what the club standards are and what varying groups of supporters want. As the club urges 'back the boys....' then there are mixed signals between what you clearly wish to achieve and what the club find tolerable.

working class hero

by working class hero » 11 Apr 2009 21:15

For me it was a glorious failure on the day.
It is a good idea and could work if circumstances were different. It really needs to be away from the prawn sarnie mob. I heard remarkably little bad language from GU1 - and some was sparked by the heavy handed stewarding.
The only misjudged songs were the 'I can't hear a f****** thing ones directed at times at the East and North.

The volume was low from all areas of the ground.

Starliaison, I don't think they were being deliberately offensive. I suspect this is possibly how many speak in normal social settings in these modern times. For many f*** is merely an observation along the lines of 'oops' and f***ing is an adjective or adverb depending on context. I am saddened that the glory of the English language is demeaned in this fashion. On the other hand I think most of us accept that authors such as Shakespeare, Dekker, Jonson and Chaucer are all pretty highbrow - and in some of the above you will find liberal use of words like c***......

I hope the club will try to encourage this idea to be expanded in the North Stand.

BTW the most offensive thing I noted was the appalling football. A damned sight more than 5 families left early in response to that....

Price rises next season? They're having a laugh.

chandog

by chandog » 11 Apr 2009 21:37

point 1. the langauge was not bad. a few songs of "i cant hear a f***ing thing". There were no individuals ranting at the players incompetance. only a club like reading would this be complained about. others clubs and there fans accept that this happens at matches
point 2. in support of royalshow the stewards didnt seem to know what they were doing, only that they wanted to criticise and generally tell us off for supporting the team and having a good time as well. after the game the stewards took issue with the homophobic chants which in reality was about 10 of us singing "if you leave early your'e gay" sorry but we dont sing that because we are homophobic but because we are making a pretty weak point about those "fans" who dont make the most of their tickets and watch the entire game
point 3.we couldnt hear any other parts of the ground singing so you cant say what we did failed

overall i would say it was successful and its a shame the club ruined it for us by not having consistent stewarding who appeared only intent in maintaining silence among us in GU1

working class hero

by working class hero » 11 Apr 2009 21:59

chandog point 1. the langauge was not bad. a few songs of "i cant hear a f***ing thing". There were no individuals ranting at the players incompetance. only a club like reading would this be complained about. others clubs and there fans accept that this happens at matches
point 2. in support of royalshow the stewards didnt seem to know what they were doing, only that they wanted to criticise and generally tell us off for supporting the team and having a good time as well. after the game the stewards took issue with the homophobic chants which in reality was about 10 of us singing "if you leave early your'e gay" sorry but we dont sing that because we are homophobic but because we are making a pretty weak point about those "fans" who dont make the most of their tickets and watch the entire game
point 3.we couldnt hear any other parts of the ground singing so you cant say what we did failed

overall i would say it was successful and its a shame the club ruined it for us by not having consistent stewarding who appeared only intent in maintaining silence among us in GU1

Mmmmmm. A bit touchy. I said it was a GLORIOUS failure - in other words it was a great try but didn't quite come off.
I am not moaning about the song - just pointing out that if people wish to moan [and in the UW at RFC they will] you are giving them the ammo.
I could hear the East at times. They were clearly shouting 'ship' when the blades lot shouted 'united' ..... it must have been ship or families would have been leaving en masse.....

The 'gay' bit is NOT homophobic. The term gay used to mean 'happy' the homosexual lobby then hijacked it. Nowadays teenagers are using it to indicate that something is a bit ineffective. I doubt a homosexual would have been offended - and if they were they need to stop being so damn gay... :roll:

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 11 Apr 2009 22:11

I would suggest trying this again for the Birmingham game, but I'm sure the stewards will win that one too, and crush any spirit they can find.

chandog

by chandog » 11 Apr 2009 22:11

thats the point. no one was offended, it wasnt meant to offend either
but the stewards using that as their maina argument against us afterwards and threatening to ban someone is ridiculous

it just pisses me off that the club originally seemed to support the idea of a vocal group of fans getting together for this "experiment" and then have them screw us over in the form of some stewards who clearly wanted to ruin the whole experience for us. we did nothin extreme that has never happened before or broken any laws yet we were made examples of and made to feel like we were disgracing the club.

St Pauli
Hob Nob Legend

by St Pauli » 11 Apr 2009 22:20

Despite the awful result this was a game I enjoyed more then most I have been to this season, including games we have won, so I think it should be carried on in some form or another next season, the question is where. The stewards in Y26 seem just as touchy as in Gu1 most games, this might be different in the north, so maybe that has to be tried. The stewards if they said it was ok for the the united fans or the east stand are wrong. The law afaik means standing is illegal but ok at certain times, which times exactly the law is very ambiguos about. Which is why you get clubs like Reading telling everyone to sit down the whole time and clubs like Coventry, Southampton and Bristol city consistently ignoring it.

The homophobic song was changed by those singing it in any case, a good thing imo, 'gay' chants are very playground, not a personal criticism at those singing it though, generally thought the quality of chants was very good.

I nomrally sit in y26 and though it wasn't as loud as y26/25 normally is because there were few of us, i enjoyed them more as they were original and most people joined in regardless of who started chants as everyone there seemed to want everyone involved. Those who make y26/25 out to be some great singing area seem to have a pretty selective memory. It consists of a few people in y25 who have had season tickets for years there and who all know each other occasionally starting original chants, which lower y25 don't join in cos they dont sing either, and y26 cant join in because they cant actually hear them. Then theres the y26 mixture of season ticket holders and teenagers who do 'stevie coppells barmy army' very well until the stewards tell them to sit down and occasionally have a dig at the other fans and the odd standard song, and thats it until we score, at which point its tom hark and then not much.

PlasticRoyale
Hob Nob Regular

by PlasticRoyale » 12 Apr 2009 00:15

How did this new 'mob' fare against the Blades Business Crew....did you run them down the Occy road?

Nobby

by Nobby » 12 Apr 2009 00:31

Well done to everyone who sang in GU1. Those who stood, did so at the back were they could surely have bothered no-one, and they livened up a normally dead part of the ground. They could really boost the atmosphere of a play off semi final.

The stewards were obviously under employed. Yet, every week there is a middle aged half wit who sits with a little group of other middle aged half wits near the back of Y21, shouting every swear word you can imagine and all the racist and sexist stuff that you would expect from a lowlife like that.

What do the stewards to?

They stay well away most of the time.

Stuffed Crust Pizza

by Stuffed Crust Pizza » 12 Apr 2009 09:10

Firstly many thanks to all who joined the Biscuit Boys in GU1. I really feel we achieved something in that we got the ball rolling and have started something positive. The effort of all involved was superb and although other parts of the ground couldn't hear us, we were congratulated by some regular west standers on our positive atmosphere.

It is quite clear there are a lot of issue we need to look into with the club and STAR. Throughout the match we were told to sit down. When we pointed out that a similar group in numbers to ours were contantly stood in the away end we were ignored and no measures appeared to be taken against them. Not once were we warned that our language was inappropriate during the game. So for the clubs chief complaint to be regarding language I find it very strange. The language used in the songs and chants were no worse than those heard in other football ground all over Britain.

I am sensible and mature enough to realise that the upper west stand is usually more of a relaxed atmosphere and because of this some choose to take their children up their so they don't have to mix with raucaus oiks like us. However when we first hatched this plan, GU1 was the least populated area of the ground and had been all season. Indeed it wasn't until Wednesday prior to the game that the majority of the seats were sold to fair weather fans etc.

My feelings are that our experiment was a success but we do need to consider the future of the Biscuit Boys over the summer months, but I can assure everyone that we will back!

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 12 Apr 2009 09:40

Halfway down page 3 I did warn you - especially the bit in bold.

Dirk Gently At some grounds there has been an unofficial "arrangement" that certain areas would not be stewarded as heavily as others when it came to standing.

But almost without exception, as soon as the FLA (Football Licensing Authority) found out about this the club was heavily pressured by their licensing authority to enforce the regulations fully and has always bowed to this pressure.

A particular case is at Leicester a few years ago where there was a "singing area" with lenient enforcement of standing regulations, and this arrangement was posted on a website somewhere and LCFC were threatened with losing their license the next week.

But the bottom line is that RFC have no choice in the matter - they simply cannot decide to relax the rules as a condition of their licence from RBC is enforcing those regulations. However, bear in mind that as GU1is not an area where there is traditionally "trouble" or boisterous supporters, there are likely to be fewer stewards covering that area - initially, at least.

Stuffed Crust Pizza

by Stuffed Crust Pizza » 12 Apr 2009 09:52

Dirk I fully apprecaite that you warned us that standing would not be tolerated. However the most annoying thing about all this was that a group similar to ours in number were constantly stood for 90 minutes at the back of the away end. When I tried to have reasoned conversation with a senior steward I was informed that efforts were being made to make them sit down, however we could see not efforts being made and indeed this group stood throughout.

A representative from RFC's customer services department sat near us during the game and he requested a chat after the game. He told me that the standing was not a great issue, the clubs main problem was our language. I can assure you this was no worse than that heard at football stadiums all over Britain every weekend. What is clear that this language is not tolerated in the upper west stand and I am mature and sensible enough to understand that.

I am currently working on a detailed full report, perhaps STAR would like me to send a copy?

URZZZZZZZZ
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Long knocks it back in.............IT'S READING WHO TAKE A MASSIVE STEP TOWARDS WEMBLEY!!

by URZZZZZZZZ » 12 Apr 2009 11:23

chandog my mate is apparantly getting banned for life for using homophobic chants
"If you leave early youre gay" not really homophobic
luckily he was using someones member card who never goes anyway so the club will end up banning someone who doesnt care anymore

on the actual event. i thought it was fairly good. got drunk before hand had a great time - carried on chainting regardless of some dickhead stewards. disappointing that so many people decided that just becuase they were coming round telling us to sit down they saw that as a sign to stop singing as well

Was that the lad that got chucked out just after sheff utd scored?? Didn't seem to do a great deal wrong, mind you he didn't miss much!

St Pauli
Hob Nob Legend

by St Pauli » 12 Apr 2009 11:26

Well done Dan for all the organisation, if you ever need a hand with any leg work send me a PM would be happy to help.

The Club really needs to work out whats its position is on standing and in what parts of the ground. I know Star says its part of the conditions of the council license that they obey regulations, this may be true, but if so why is it that Coventry, Bristol city, Southampton etc don't hassle standing fans so long as they're not causing trouble? How is it possible for these clubs to see sense and not RFC?

Rex
Hob Nob Addict

by Rex » 12 Apr 2009 11:34

This is where inconsistancy causes conflict.

370 posts