Hob Nob Addict

Re: The Great season ticket swindle

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 04 Dec 2009 08:58

You missed the free Ipswich ticket!! or was it leicester

working class hero

by working class hero » 04 Dec 2009 17:04

Harpers So Solid Crew You missed the free Ipswich ticket!! or was it leicester

Feck! You're right....y'know I shan't ever go again unless they pay me to attend! :roll: :wink:

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 04 Dec 2009 22:28

Wimb
Terminal Boardom Womb. No-one is forcing you to read what I think. Stick me on ignore if it offends that much. Or would you rather that this was a police state where free thought and opinion were outlawed? Your choice. Put up or...

Quite the opposite TB, I'd like you to respond to some well rationaled points that I believe I made with some of your own. I quite like the open and honest discussions we have on here but what I don't enjoy (and few others do) is the blanket sweeping statements and generalisations that some people come up with.

Right!

My first ST was in 83/4 and have purchased a ST for more seasons than not since then.

Perhaps I have been a tad unfair with some of my comments regarding the club taking season ticket holders for granted. Part of this stems from investing in season tickets for my two young children who were too young to go to midweek matches. This would result in a possible break even figure. Add this to the 3 or 4 games a season when the club did kids for a quid that I was somewhat out of pocket. No consideration given by the club to supporters with children knowing that the poor sops will hand over their hard earned without appreciating the sacrifices involved.

The reduction in ST price following relegation from the Prem was, in my opinion, derisory.

I no longer live in the greater Reading area so getting to and from home games mean that I either use public transport plus shuttle or I drive. I wonder how much the club makes from the shuttle and car parking in the area? These "hidden" costs feel to me like exploitation. I don't expect the club to operate these services at cost or at a loss. I have no problem with the club making a few bob out of it but it feels to me that the club are trying to milk the fan for every penny possible.

Bringing a friend for free is an extremely generous gesture. One that I should have acknowledged previously so I stand banged to rights on that one. But... the offer is only for the first 4 months of the season. And, only if you renewed. I didn't renew.

Where the club really took supporters for granted has to do with the BS fed us all about making a concerted push for promotion THIS SEASON. This was BEFORE the cloth was cut. If I am angry, 40% is aimed at the club for effectively lying to me. The other 60% is aimed at me for being so gullible. And before anyone gets on my case, I am not complaining about the cloth cutting as it had to be done. Just that the club should not have lied so blatantly! Still, 11,000 people fell for it!

I suppose my previous rants should have been about the club taking its supporters for granted rather than just STHs.

Going back to STHs and the VfM, it really does irk me when I read about a discount here and a freebie there. Yes, a discount for a shirt - if you want to buy one is good value. What is the mark up? Well, the club were forced to sell last season's shirts at £10 but only because the high street retailers in town were selling them for that amount. Fine line between taking for granted and ripping fans off.

Yes, I am guaranteed a seat for cup ties should I wish to take up the offer and this season we have hit the jackpot with a home tie against Liverpool. We could so easily have been drawn away to Doncaster or Peterborough so that doesn't cut the mustard.

And I am sorry but the cost and quality of food inside and outside the stadium is appalling. If they either improved the quality or reduced the prices that would be something but it does feel again as if exploitation - and taking the supporter for granted - is the norm.

That's my opinion. Sorry for the rant but I would like to move on. If I haven't answered fully, pm me so I dont waste anyone elses time.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 04 Dec 2009 23:21

I'll try and answer each point individually and objectively ....

Terminal Boardom ....The reduction in ST price following relegation from the Prem was, in my opinion, derisory.

Was there a reduction - it was only a technical one, based on the increased number of matches. In some ways I agree with you, but last season RFC was largely still being run as if we were a PL club - keeping the PL stars, etc - and would say that this was fair in what was a definite push for promotion, with everything at the club geared for that.
As with anything though, if you think the price is too high you have the right not to pay - and many have exercised that right. It's up to the club to get it right as it's really a balancing act getting the pricing in order to ensure they get sufficient money but also enough bums on seats. Personally, I think they've got it just about right this year with a cut of about 25%, and we're about par for the CCC.
Having said that, just about all ticket prices in football are way too high, but we're not much worse than any other clubs.

Terminal Boardom ....I no longer live in the greater Reading area so getting to and from home games mean that I either use public transport plus shuttle or I drive. I wonder how much the club makes from the shuttle and car parking in the area? These "hidden" costs feel to me like exploitation. I don't expect the club to operate these services at cost or at a loss. I have no problem with the club making a few bob out of it but it feels to me that the club are trying to milk the fan for every penny possible.

As far as I know, the club makes nothing from Park & Ride - in fact they used to subsidise it, but stopped a years or so ago, causing prices to rise. Extremely expensive to run, but it's a necessary evil for them to get people to the ground. The buses certainly are not profit making, though!

Terminal Boardom ....Bringing a friend for free is an extremely generous gesture. One that I should have acknowledged previously so I stand banged to rights on that one. But... the offer is only for the first 4 months of the season. And, only if you renewed. I didn't renew.
Fair enough - these are the choice we all make - I'm guessing, but I think it may be limited to the first 4 months to stop everyone using it for the Newcastle match!

Terminal Boardom ....Where the club really took supporters for granted has to do with the BS fed us all about making a concerted push for promotion THIS SEASON. This was BEFORE the cloth was cut. If I am angry, 40% is aimed at the club for effectively lying to me. The other 60% is aimed at me for being so gullible. And before anyone gets on my case, I am not complaining about the cloth cutting as it had to be done. Just that the club should not have lied so blatantly! Still, 11,000 people fell for it!

I think your 60% is justified, perhaps maybe a little low :wink: But do you really expect any other message to come from the "playing side?" And do you believe everything else that adverts tell you ? Do you think Gillette really is the best a man can get and everyone who uses L'oreal is worth it, too? :wink:

Terminal Boardom ....I suppose my previous rants should have been about the club taking its supporters for granted rather than just STHs.

I'm sure they don't - they agonise long and hard about every commercial decision made. They'd like the stadium full, of course, but they are under such immense financial constraints that they have to do the balancing act referred to above. This season especially the struggle to make ends meet and balance the books is phenomenal - but that's more to do with the financial realities of post-relegation than anything else. And I'm not sure how you can really justify that statement "the club taking its supporters for granted" - they are certainly only too aware that prices and sales are intricately linked. They might have set the prices too high or too low, but there's no way for anyone to be sure of that.

Terminal Boardom ....Going back to STHs and the VfM, it really does irk me when I read about a discount here and a freebie there. Yes, a discount for a shirt - if you want to buy one is good value. What is the mark up? Well, the club were forced to sell last season's shirts at £10 but only because the high street retailers in town were selling them for that amount. Fine line between taking for granted and ripping fans off.

Again, the over-riding principle is if you think the price of shirts is too high then don't buy one - no-one is forced to buy one so not sure how it's a "rip-off."

Terminal Boardom ....Yes, I am guaranteed a seat for cup ties should I wish to take up the offer and this season we have hit the jackpot with a home tie against Liverpool. We could so easily have been drawn away to Doncaster or Peterborough so that doesn't cut the mustard.

But that's the gamble we all take when we buy a ST - ditto with how well the team will do and how entertaining the games will be. But, as stated a few times in this thread - it's not just about the monetary value - it's having "your own" seat, it's not having to but individual tickets, it's being able to have a drink before the match and many other "softer" reasons.

Terminal Boardom ....And I am sorry but the cost and quality of food inside and outside the stadium is appalling. If they either improved the quality or reduced the prices that would be something but it does feel again as if exploitation - and taking the supporter for granted - is the norm.

Agree about the food - I think it's over-priced and poor value. So I don't buy it. No rip-off, no exploitation, just a consumer making a choice not to buy, just like everyone can.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 07 Dec 2009 00:01

Brilliant STH ticketing and ticket prices for the Liverpool game

.........at last

Well done Reading!

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 07 Dec 2009 01:43

Terminal Boardom
Wimb
Terminal Boardom Womb. No-one is forcing you to read what I think. Stick me on ignore if it offends that much. Or would you rather that this was a police state where free thought and opinion were outlawed? Your choice. Put up or...

Quite the opposite TB, I'd like you to respond to some well rationaled points that I believe I made with some of your own. I quite like the open and honest discussions we have on here but what I don't enjoy (and few others do) is the blanket sweeping statements and generalisations that some people come up with.

Right!

My first ST was in 83/4 and have purchased a ST for more seasons than not since then.

Perhaps I have been a tad unfair with some of my comments regarding the club taking season ticket holders for granted. Part of this stems from investing in season tickets for my two young children who were too young to go to midweek matches. This would result in a possible break even figure. Add this to the 3 or 4 games a season when the club did kids for a quid that I was somewhat out of pocket. No consideration given by the club to supporters with children knowing that the poor sops will hand over their hard earned without appreciating the sacrifices involved.

The reduction in ST price following relegation from the Prem was, in my opinion, derisory.

I no longer live in the greater Reading area so getting to and from home games mean that I either use public transport plus shuttle or I drive. I wonder how much the club makes from the shuttle and car parking in the area? These "hidden" costs feel to me like exploitation. I don't expect the club to operate these services at cost or at a loss. I have no problem with the club making a few bob out of it but it feels to me that the club are trying to milk the fan for every penny possible.

Bringing a friend for free is an extremely generous gesture. One that I should have acknowledged previously so I stand banged to rights on that one. But... the offer is only for the first 4 months of the season. And, only if you renewed. I didn't renew.

Where the club really took supporters for granted has to do with the BS fed us all about making a concerted push for promotion THIS SEASON. This was BEFORE the cloth was cut. If I am angry, 40% is aimed at the club for effectively lying to me. The other 60% is aimed at me for being so gullible. And before anyone gets on my case, I am not complaining about the cloth cutting as it had to be done. Just that the club should not have lied so blatantly! Still, 11,000 people fell for it!

I suppose my previous rants should have been about the club taking its supporters for granted rather than just STHs.

Going back to STHs and the VfM, it really does irk me when I read about a discount here and a freebie there. Yes, a discount for a shirt - if you want to buy one is good value. What is the mark up? Well, the club were forced to sell last season's shirts at £10 but only because the high street retailers in town were selling them for that amount. Fine line between taking for granted and ripping fans off.

Yes, I am guaranteed a seat for cup ties should I wish to take up the offer and this season we have hit the jackpot with a home tie against Liverpool. We could so easily have been drawn away to Doncaster or Peterborough so that doesn't cut the mustard.

And I am sorry but the cost and quality of food inside and outside the stadium is appalling. If they either improved the quality or reduced the prices that would be something but it does feel again as if exploitation - and taking the supporter for granted - is the norm.

That's my opinion. Sorry for the rant but I would like to move on. If I haven't answered fully, pm me so I dont waste anyone elses time.

Good honest post and not a bad word to say about you to be fair TB, I admit I perhaps had you down as a kneejerk poster without rational but i'm happy to hold my hands up and respect the fact that you've taken the time to go into depth (not that I have any divine right to expect an answer!)

I think my feelings really do just echo Dirk's sentiments but I do see where you are coming from. I'd love better food, subsidised travel and the like but the financial realities don't allow the club to do so if they want to compete with the rest of the league.

My point has always been on this issue that in terms of do STH get valued, then I'd say the extra perks you get over non STH suggest that you do get valued and there is reward for doing so.

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 07 Dec 2009 01:43

Terminal Boardom
Wimb

Right!

Good honest post and not a bad word to say about you to be fair TB, I admit I perhaps had you down as a kneejerk poster without rationale but i'm happy to hold my hands up and respect the fact that you've taken the time to go into depth (not that I have any divine right to expect an answer!)

I think my feelings really do just echo Dirk's sentiments but I do see where you are coming from. I'd love better food, subsidised travel and the like but the financial realities don't allow the club to do so if they want to compete with the rest of the league.

My point has always been on this issue that in terms of do STH get valued, then I'd say the extra perks you get over non STH suggest that you do get valued and there is reward for doing so.

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 07 Dec 2009 12:52

I don't understand why you would want a season ticket at the moment. (Apart from good cup draws)

Plenty of empty seats to choose from
You don't get stuck sitting next to somebody who's annoying
You don't feel bad if you miss a game
You don't get annoyed when they do special offers on tickets

Rex
Hob Nob Addict

by Rex » 10 Dec 2009 15:30

No Fixed Abode I don't understand why you would want a season ticket at the moment. (Apart from good cup draws)

All salient points. I'm shocked at not Kes.

rabidbee
Hob Nob Regular

by rabidbee » 11 Dec 2009 10:03

No Fixed Abode I don't understand why you would want a season ticket at the moment. (Apart from good cup draws)

If you're going to go to every game anyway, it is cheaper to have an ST. If you can't/won't make every game, it's probably cheaper to buy them on an ad-hoc basis. If you're a former STH or a regular anyway, you'll have enough points to have first dibs on the interesting games. I've not had trouble getting tickets for any games I wanted to see since I gave up my ST. The only thing I miss is having my own seats, and getting to know the people around me. On the plus side, though, I'm now able to sit well away from the oxf*rd drummer.

Rex
Hob Nob Addict

by Rex » 11 Dec 2009 12:14

Or pay for your ticket and then move and sit with mates.