Where to sit

buzzbee

Where to sit

by buzzbee » 23 Jul 2010 15:09

Over the years, I have been something of an armchair fan. I watch out for Royals results, listen to the odd game on the radio and from time to time, pop along to the Mad Stad (Or Elm Park in days gone by) but have never gone to games regularly... Until now. I won't be at every game, but I will be at several.

The thing is, whenever I have gone in the past, I have not really thought about where to sit or paid any attention to where is a good place to sit.

So, I'm simply going to ask for peoples opinions on where they sit and then decide where is best.

Go ahead and sell me your area :lol:

ta

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Where to sit

by Royal Lady » 23 Jul 2010 15:10

You'd probably like it in Y26. If you're into gesturing to away fans to come and have a go. Or you're 12.

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

by Sarah Star » 23 Jul 2010 15:20

If you sit near the middle of the lower west, you can hear what they shout from the dugouts apparently, which might be interesting. Never done it myself though.

Stuka
Hob Nob Regular

by Stuka » 23 Jul 2010 15:24

I reckon Y26 is pretty good for singing and that. Probably the most lively section. Not all obscene gestures and 12 years olds! A rouge Liverpool fan in the section was beat up during last season's cup game but then he did act like a prat.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 23 Jul 2010 15:28

Stuka I reckon Y26 is pretty good for singing and that. Probably the most lively section. Not all obscene gestures and 12 years olds! A rouge Liverpool fan in the section was beat up during last season's cup game but then he did act like a prat.

Was he French?

Better still, save your money, follow the match threads on here then slate off anyone and everyone for being a plastic. Oh, and feck off newbie :shock:

PREMIERSHIP_ROYAL

by PREMIERSHIP_ROYAL » 23 Jul 2010 15:32

Y25 is the best in my opinion, still plenty of atmosphere and no 12 year olds trying to give it large :roll:

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 23 Jul 2010 15:50

east stand - half nearest away fans - a bit singy and shouty
east stand other half- a bit singy
north- patches of singing- but mostly contemplative following of the game, occasional picanic blankets
west- sitting in silence, singers/shouters will be glared at.

Stuka
Hob Nob Regular

by Stuka » 23 Jul 2010 16:48

brendywendy east stand - half nearest away fans - a bit singy and shouty
east stand other half- a bit singy
north- patches of singing- but mostly contemplative following of the game, occasional picanic blankets
west- sitting in silence, singers/shouters will be glared at.

Good summary. I wish the ground was a bit more 'singy and shouty' though. That said, even with our smaller capacity, we are far louder that Emirates Stadium!

Sharpy
Hob Nob Regular

by Sharpy » 23 Jul 2010 17:12

y25

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 23 Jul 2010 17:24

Y26 is also great if you need passport style photos taken, just see security after the game (unless they see you first of course).

Upper West would be great place to start generating an atmosphere (someone needs to be brave up there) - even better if you can get a seat directly under BBC Berks so you can irritate them every time you're at a game.

All in all depends if you prefer seeing games side on or behind the goal with little idea perspective until you get to row ZZ. At the front level with the 18 yard lines pretty good for letting wingers know what you think about them and poking fun at oppo full backs.

Z175
Hob Nob Regular

by Z175 » 23 Jul 2010 17:52

Good point about the persepctive - given its soo bloody quiet recently thats the main factor.

I didn't renew my east stand ST for the premierleague as I wasn't in the country, so had to make do with South stand views for the next 2 years. It was a massive relief when we got relegated and I could get my ST back in the east. You miss out on all the controversial incidents unless they are in the box in front of you. Some cracking views for free kicks etc but I much prefer the side view.

I have sat everywhere in the ground though
Southern part of the east stand if you want to here people sing (occasionally) and grumble (lots).
Bottom parts of stands get wet, are close to the action and can hear shouts but you can't see whats going on.
Upper West has not much better view that the east - and the far back corners of it make you like you in st james' park away.
North Stand east corner has the wonderful Royalsdrummer for a bit of boom action.
Rest of the north stand people will cheer now and again.
Lower west good for children and sensitive ears.
South stand (when open) - danger of missile attack and mutilation for life from away fans.

But whatever you do, don't sit in front of the scoreboard unless your blind and insensitive to heat.

It Is What It Is

by It Is What It Is » 23 Jul 2010 18:17

Y19, nearish the drummer up in the top corner, great view of whole pitch

Dan - B15 Royal

by Dan - B15 Royal » 23 Jul 2010 19:01

North Stand, B15, around half way up the stand. This way you get a great view of the pitch as the seats are above the goal so the view is not restricted. Also your seats will be under cover for those winter showers so you won't get soaked!

Handsome Man
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Practically Rock Paper Scissors Champion of the World

by Handsome Man » 23 Jul 2010 19:42

Y20 has a spitting boy and a moaning woman who my friends fell out with, so I had to move to the Upper West for a fantastic view and a better class of fan altogether.

Maquisard

by Maquisard » 23 Jul 2010 21:03

As someone who hasn't had the courage to ask the same question... how much choice does RFC give you when selling tickets?
Also, too many answers... this thread needs a poll!
Maybe I'll just walk down the road to QPR when the time comes

southstand67

by southstand67 » 23 Jul 2010 21:22

It Is What It Is Y19, nearish the drummer up in the top corner, great view of whole pitch

Yea I get up there too - if I had a season ticket it's where I'd want to sit. Don't sit too near the front as you'll get wet when it rains.

W&E Royal

by W&E Royal » 23 Jul 2010 21:24

There is always a seat next to me going spare in the Lower West, I do fart a hell of a lot though. I think that's why Royalee moved.

bobbybottler
Hob Nob Regular

by bobbybottler » 23 Jul 2010 21:30

Handsome Man Y20 has a spitting boy and a moaning woman who my friends fell out with, so I had to move to the Upper West for a fantastic view and a better class of fan altogether.

Couldn't agree more. I hated the East, got bored in the North, found some like-minded souls in the UW.

"Ssssssssssssshhhhh"

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 23 Jul 2010 21:40

NW corner is pretty much the closest to the buses, allowing you the latest departure from the pub before the game and the earliest arrival after it.

And let's face it, the football's just a rude interruption to a day's drinking.

The Cap
Hob Nob Regular

by The Cap » 23 Jul 2010 21:50

Maguire said:

And let's face it, the football's just a rude interruption to a day's drinking.
:lol: :lol:

Mind you, when we first got ST's many moons ago, me bruv said, "We've got to sit where we can see the whites of the eyes of the opposition".

And for that reason we park up in Y25. You get to know the faces. 8)