TheRouge

Re: Stadium Expansion

by TheRouge » 03 May 2012 23:20

So it's not offside?

Dare to Dr£am
Hob Nob Regular

by Dare to Dr£am » 07 Jul 2012 23:52

Ok ok, so I can't photoshop, and I can barely use paint, but being a little bored I started to wonder what the east stand will look like with the extension. I saw it being discussed off topic recently so thought i'd have a play around.

:oops:

I wonder if we will see the work begin next summer, or if we will have to wait for the summer of 2014? At the moment everything appears a lot faster than we were expecting, and although AZ said it depends on if we stay up or not, but we're signing players with the idea being long-term, and they want to capitalise asap on attendances, so I half expect the expansion to get the go-ahead as soon as possible.

It brings the child out in me, but I can't wait to see a massive one tier stand holding around 14,000!

SLAMMED
Hob Nob Addict

by SLAMMED » 07 Jul 2012 23:59

Dare to Dr£am It brings the child out in me, but I can't wait to see a massive one tier stand holding around 14,000!

Shame it will have a hospitality in the middle of it

Alexander Litvinenko
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Winner - HNA? Music Quiz 2013. The Great Sounds of Polonium 210.

by Alexander Litvinenko » 08 Jul 2012 12:57

Dare to Dr£am Ok ok, so I can't photoshop, and I can barely use paint, but being a little bored I started to wonder what the east stand will look like with the extension. I saw it being discussed off topic recently so thought i'd have a play around.

I wonder if we will see the work begin next summer, or if we will have to wait for the summer of 2014? At the moment everything appears a lot faster than we were expecting, and although AZ said it depends on if we stay up or not, but we're signing players with the idea being long-term, and they want to capitalise asap on attendances, so I half expect the expansion to get the go-ahead as soon as possible.

It brings the child out in me, but I can't wait to see a massive one tier stand holding around 14,000!

Assuming they stick to the original plans, it will be one continuous gradient going up - rather than a separate tier plonked on top. So slide that tier backwards on your mock-up.

The same will also apply to North & South Stands.

urz13
Hob Nob Regular
Location: The following statement is false. The previous statement is true.

by urz13 » 08 Jul 2012 14:20

Alexander Litvinenko
Dare to Dr£am Ok ok, so I can't photoshop, and I can barely use paint, but being a little bored I started to wonder what the east stand will look like with the extension. I saw it being discussed off topic recently so thought i'd have a play around.

Assuming they stick to the original plans, it will be one continuous gradient going up - rather than a separate tier plonked on top. So slide that tier backwards on your mock-up.

The same will also apply to North & South Stands.

I think it's meant to be one continuous tier, its just how it looks.

Dare to Dr£am
Hob Nob Regular

by Dare to Dr£am » 08 Jul 2012 15:33

Hi Dirk

I know it's one tier. It's an amateur attempt at Paint with a cut and place.

Same for N & S stands but as the E is done first, I stuck with what we'd see first. Apologies for the substandard attempt - and welcome back. :|

TheRoyalJoe

by TheRoyalJoe » 08 Jul 2012 15:38

Someone needs to get JayRoyal to fix up a photoshopped image of this.

Friday's Legacy
Hob Nob Regular

by Friday's Legacy » 08 Jul 2012 15:50

TheRoyalJoe Someone needs to get JayRoyal to fix up a photoshopped image of this.

I actually dropped JayRoyal a PM last week to see if he fancied doing this for the East Stand, and then the North and South. D2D has actually used a better picture than I found though, so it could work for an East expansion and then a East and North. Those stands will be very steep and very imposing when they're done. Right on top of the pitch. I hope we see it happen.

TheRoyalJoe

by TheRoyalJoe » 08 Jul 2012 16:02

Friday's Legacy Those stands will be very steep and very imposing when they're done. Right on top of the pitch. I hope we see it happen.

Steeper than this I wonder?

Anyone know what the biggest single tiered stand in Europe is?

Dare to Dr£am
Hob Nob Regular

by Dare to Dr£am » 08 Jul 2012 16:05

Until a Photoshop expert comes along, that's as good as it gets. :lol:

TheRoyalJoe
Friday's Legacy Those stands will be very steep and very imposing when they're done. Right on top of the pitch. I hope we see it happen.

Steeper than this I wonder?

Anyone know what the biggest single tiered stand in Europe is?

Well, if you think how steep the top half of the stands (are at our place), that level of steepness will continue.

Blakey's Right Peg

by Blakey's Right Peg » 08 Jul 2012 17:21

Would love to see this happen but still torn by the embarrassment it will cause if we go back down and have to accept a vast sea of empty seats.

Cobi
Hob Nob Regular

by Cobi » 08 Jul 2012 19:26

Blakey's Right Peg Would love to see this happen but still torn by the embarrassment it will cause if we go back down and have to accept a vast sea of empty seats.

no more embaressing than a part empty city ground, wolves pudding bowl, ewood park at 18000 next season, same for bolton, and more.. (refer to east stand expansion only there)

any way, we'll never go back down. :?

reading_fan
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by reading_fan » 09 Jul 2012 13:03

Cobi
Blakey's Right Peg Would love to see this happen but still torn by the embarrassment it will cause if we go back down and have to accept a vast sea of empty seats.

no more embaressing than a part empty city ground, wolves pudding bowl, ewood park at 18000 next season, same for bolton, and more.. (refer to east stand expansion only there)

any way, we'll never go back down. :?

True that. The Wolves new stand is completely out of keeping with the rest of the ground now, because it is the first part of the whole ground rebuild. In fact Molineux will be the first of the "new" grounds to be rebuilt. The main design flaw with the new stand (in it's current state) is that there are areas in the top corner of the new stand where the pitch is obstructed by the existing Steve Bull stand.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 09 Jul 2012 18:04

Can't say I cried myself to sleep over it in the early 00s.

Jay o/

by Jay o/ » 09 Jul 2012 19:47

There might be a change in design yet. If we want to maximise capacity here, and we can't build onto the back of the West Stand, then why waste needed future space with curvy styled stands? Just build straight back in a block. No need for fancy shapes. You could do the same to the North and South stands, and if need be later on, and then build onto the corners to link the three extended stands as one again.

I know that's a lot of forward thinking, and we still struggle with imagining filling 30k, but if Anton gets us where he wants us, and we are filling this place at 35k plus, then you don't want to be in a position where you have a fancy design and people locked out, when you could have 40k in there and hopefully have the same problem. In which case perhaps a stand comes down to be rebuilt.. who knows.

larry1971

by larry1971 » 10 Jul 2012 12:48

That's also my concern about expanding the stadiums capacity because relegation will inevitably lead to fans staying away last season for the most the average home attendance was around 17 to 18,000 with around 6,000 empty seats which is not really a problem in a small compact stadium like the Madejski - I personally think an increase to around the 30k mark would be about right for Reading I wouldn't want to see it go up any futher than that .

larry1971

by larry1971 » 10 Jul 2012 12:51

reading_fan
Cobi []

True that. The Wolves new stand is completely out of keeping with the rest of the ground now, because it is the first part of the whole ground rebuild. In fact Molineux will be the first of the "new" grounds to be rebuilt. The main design flaw with the new stand (in it's current state) is that there are areas in the top corner of the new stand where the pitch is obstructed by the existing Steve Bull stand.

Spoke to a Wolves fan on another forum and he agreed that re building Molineux is a complete waste of money as there was nothing wrong with the ground .

Dare to Dr£am
Hob Nob Regular

by Dare to Dr£am » 10 Jul 2012 12:54

larry1971
reading_fan
Cobi []

Spoke to a Wolves fan on another forum and he agreed that re building Molineux is a complete waste of money as there was nothing wrong with the ground .

Exactly that. When they last came down from the Premiership they had plenty of games where the ground was 18k and 20k, with loads of yellow seats empty. Now they've expanded and although on hold, plan to go to 50k.. that is nothing short of madness. Far too big for their boots.

larry1971

by larry1971 » 10 Jul 2012 15:47

]

Exactly that. When they last came down from the Premiership they had plenty of games where the ground was 18k and 20k, with loads of yellow seats empty. Now they've expanded and although on hold, plan to go to 50k.. that is nothing short of madness. Far too big for their boots.
[/quote]

Agreed, there are very few clubs in the Premiership who could guarantee filling a 50k seat stadium every home game - the thought of West Ham, moving into the Olympic Stadium fills me with fear because there is no way we will ever be able to fill it as we simply don't have a big enough fan base and you don't need much imagination to know how awful the atmosphere will be like for most home games especiallyon a cold wet midweek game. I can understand why clubs want to build bigger stadiums but they also need to be realistic in whether or not they can fill those stadiums I'ed much rather have a smaller enclosed stadium that generates a fantastic atmosphere rather than a big souless bowel with half the seats empty.

under the tin

by under the tin » 11 Jul 2012 09:52

Whilst I fully agree with the sentiments expressed regarding chairmen getting caught up with the more delusional sectors of their clubs' fanbase, I do think it would be a mistake to assume that there is some kind of glass ceiling limiting a club's potential support.
The "famous names" bandied about as being the massive support clubs only became famous names because of what was delivered over a sustained period of time on the patch of grass in the middle, and the stands were filled as a consequence of that sustained success.
For those in football that think that a big ground automatically makes you a big, successful club, look no further than Darlington.

If you get the silverware in first, then the fans (and the glory hunters) follow.

West Ham are probably the most perfect example of a club that has consistently missed this trick.
It's not the size of the Olympic stadium that is the problem, it's the limitations of the team performing in the middle.
Oh, and the venue is not suitable for the intended purpose, anyway.

1747 posts