Stadium Expansion

1747 posts
Uke
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Stadium Expansion

by Uke » 11 Jul 2012 10:45

under the tin Oh, and the venue is not suitable for the intended purpose, anyway.

The venue is suitable for its intended purpose; it's the change of purpose that is the problem

TheLawnMowerMan
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by TheLawnMowerMan » 11 Jul 2012 13:31

We could do with a better screen on the scoreboard when they expand the stadium.
The one there last night at the Olympic torch event (Samsung probably) really put our screen to shame.
The difference in quality was huge.

Nudger

by Nudger » 11 Jul 2012 18:24

ours is probably crt

TheLawnMowerMan
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by TheLawnMowerMan » 11 Jul 2012 19:25

Nudger ours is probably crt

Did you mean c r a p?
If it was CRT the back of the screen would probably extend back towards J11 M4.

who are ya?
Hob Nob Regular

by who are ya? » 11 Jul 2012 19:33

Bring back the old scoreboard

TheLawnMowerMan
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by TheLawnMowerMan » 12 Jul 2012 00:02

who are ya? Bring back the old scoreboard

Why? Did you buy it?

who are ya?
Hob Nob Regular

by who are ya? » 12 Jul 2012 10:06

No.

Dare to Dr£am
Hob Nob Regular

by Dare to Dr£am » 12 Jul 2012 12:20

I think we'll see the scoreboard, and another, end up on the front of the new South and North stand roofs. Currently we lose about 100 seats to accommodate the scoreboard, and TSI wont have that I'm sure.

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 12 Jul 2012 15:32

Did enjoy the yellow card graphic back in the day.

who are ya?
Hob Nob Regular

by who are ya? » 12 Jul 2012 15:43

Tommy Burns Barmy Army was a particular favourite of mine

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 12 Jul 2012 17:32

Wimb

When it used to flash CAUTION! :D

larry1971

by larry1971 » 12 Jul 2012 20:56

under the tin , I do think it would be a mistake to assume that there is some kind of glass ceiling limiting a club's potential support.

I would agree with that the fact that Reading, took around 40,000 fans to Wembley, shows the potential big fan base is there unfortunately I suspect that there will of been a fairly larg percentage of those fans who either never go to a game and only came because it was Wembley and those other fans who only ever turn up to home games if it's in the Premiership. So if the club does increase the capacity to over 30,000 the question is how are they going to attract all those people who went to Wembley to come to home games on a regular basis of course one possibility is cheaper tickets (schemes like kids for a quid) for some games sadly I very much doubt an increased capacity will see any kind of reduction in seat prices.

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 13 Jul 2012 08:49

Wimb

Oh for the old half-time scores on the Alphabet board at EP!

Those were the days (sits back to sip his hot oxo drink and eat a fat filled sausage roll, while rocking on his chair and dragging on his clay pipe).

under the tin

by under the tin » 13 Jul 2012 08:57

larry1971
under the tin , I do think it would be a mistake to assume that there is some kind of glass ceiling limiting a club's potential support.

I would agree with that the fact that Reading, took around 40,000 fans to Wembley, shows the potential big fan base is there unfortunately I suspect that there will of been a fairly larg percentage of those fans who either never go to a game and only came because it was Wembley and those other fans who only ever turn up to home games if it's in the Premiership. So if the club does increase the capacity to over 30,000 the question is how are they going to attract all those people who went to Wembley to come to home games on a regular basis of course one possibility is cheaper tickets (schemes like kids for a quid) for some games sadly I very much doubt an increased capacity will see any kind of reduction in seat prices.

True dat.
But there is a distinct difference between a day out/special occaision fan, and the regular attendee.
The euphemism "glory hunters" is in no way exclusive to Reading.
Growing the hardcore support is achieved gradually, over time.
I don't think that anyone at the club expects to sell out a fully extended Madstad in the short term. The key to putting those bums on seats is staying in the Prem for years and years, and if that is achieved, it is possible.
Had someone approached me at my first game in 1970, and said that within my lifetime, Reading would sell even 15000 season tickets, I would have been on the phone to Fair Mile.
In the words of FatBoy Slim...."we've come a long long way together......."
And it ain't necessarily so that this is as far as the journey goes.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 16 Jul 2012 02:14

This club could justify having a 30k stadium for this season before a ball is kicked and it is complete nonsense to suggest otherwise. If you want the fan base to expand, you need spare capacity for it to expand into and that, inevitably, means running the risk of playing in a half empty stadium as and when relegation occurs. The alternative is what we are about to witness; Season tickets sold out with many local people unable to get seats and, therefore, far less likely to become regular fans.

Yes, regular attendances of 8k in our first season at the Mad Stad was not the best but had we built a 12k stadium we wouldn't be where are today. If RFC, back in the EP days could take 40k to Wembley for a minor cup final, in it's present form it would be more than capable of getting similar home attendances if it established itself in the top flight.

Dare to Dr£am
Hob Nob Regular

by Dare to Dr£am » 16 Jul 2012 12:37

Woodcote Royal This club could justify having a 30k stadium for this season before a ball is kicked and it is complete nonsense to suggest otherwise. If you want the fan base to expand, you need spare capacity for it to expand into and that, inevitably, means running the risk of playing in a half empty stadium as and when relegation occurs. The alternative is what we are about to witness; Season tickets sold out with many local people unable to get seats and, therefore, far less likely to become regular fans.

Yes, regular attendances of 8k in our first season at the Mad Stad was not the best but had we built a 12k stadium we wouldn't be where are today. If RFC, back in the EP days could take 40k to Wembley for a minor cup final, in it's present form it would be more than capable of getting similar home attendances if it established itself in the top flight.

Brilliant post, Woodcote.

larry1971

by larry1971 » 17 Jul 2012 16:01

Dare to Dr£am

Well, if you think how steep the top half of the stands (are at our place), that level of steepness will continue.

I went to the thearte at Woking yesterday and I was in the top row of the Royal Circle which is fairly high up and I have to say when I stood up at the interval I stood with my back to the stage as I really didn't want to look down mainly because the row un front was to low down to offer you no real protection if you stumbled forward I can only assume the top rows of any extended stand will with the angel of gradient be even worse and I'ed certainly would be very scared of sitting in those new top rows.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 17 Jul 2012 16:08

who is the angel of gradient?

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 17 Jul 2012 17:36

melonhead who is the angel of gradient?

Juice Newton?

Reading4eva
Hob Nob Regular

by Reading4eva » 27 Jul 2012 13:41

I've just thought... what happens when the stadium is being expanded. Surely it will take more than the 4 months between the two seasons

1747 posts