Hammonds negotiating skills

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Hammonds negotiating skills

by Royal With Cheese » 28 Jan 2013 12:44

melonhead
Royal With Cheese With one 10 minute phone call I managed to reduce the cost of my home insurance by 15%

thats nothing, i reduced my car insurance by 60% with a single phonecall that only took 5 minutes

That's nothing, I reduced my mobile phone insurance by 90% using though transference in less than a second.

I have no idea where this is going.

Caskeys Lovechild

by Caskeys Lovechild » 28 Jan 2013 12:53

That's nothing.

I reduced the cost of my wife by 100%.

With a spade.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 28 Jan 2013 13:20

Caskeys Lovechild With a spade.

But did you damage the spade? Hidden costs.

HT1969

by HT1969 » 28 Jan 2013 14:07

I'm hoping Hammond uses slightly more legal methods than a spade....guess it was effective though ?

Zaretsky

by Zaretsky » 28 Jan 2013 14:21

akranes
melonhead worst thread ever

i quite agree good sir

Those exact words went through my head whilst reading the OP (in the voice of Comic Book Guy).

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 28 Jan 2013 14:33

Caskeys Lovechild That's nothing.

I reduced the cost of my wife by 100%.

With a spade.

Racist.

Caskeys Lovechild

by Caskeys Lovechild » 28 Jan 2013 15:15

HT1969 I'm hoping Hammond uses slightly more legal methods than a spade....guess it was effective though ?

I wouldn't count on it....

Where do you think Barry Hunters massive hole of injury doom came from? Hammond dug it during contract negotiations. The only person to ever fall in, and then escape, became our most successful captain ever.

SapperBRoyal

by SapperBRoyal » 28 Jan 2013 19:18

paddy20 For a guy who's done RFC proud and brought in numerous brilliant signings at the right prices, I would say he's certainly the man for us and has brilliant negotiating skills. Arsenal also rate him highly enough to have made an approach

It that the Arsenal that won't spend any money and loses all its top stars and haven't won anything for xxxx years?

Laughable. No, that was several years ago at the point David Dein parted company with the board at Arsenal - NH was on a two name shortlist produced by Mr Wenger. Since, several other clubs have come in.

SapperBRoyal

by SapperBRoyal » 28 Jan 2013 19:24

UpThePrem
The Beardy Man
paddy20 Is it time to question Nicky Hammond's skills at negotiating? If we believe some of the paper talk we seem to always offer figures either well below or just below the asking price. That seems sensible but on occasions you cant always get a bargain deal. Again if we believe what's reported we have offered £6.5m for Ince when they want £7m. Would 500k make such a difference when compared to staying in this division? We seemed to have lost a number of other targets by not willing sometimes to go that extra mile. Is there an obsession on his or others part of only buying if you get a player at less than their true value? Its clear that we desperately need one or two top quality players in this transfer period to enable us to survive. Lets hope we don't sink the ship for a haporth of tar

You want to question the negotiating skills of the man who got £5.5 million for Kitson, several million for the likes of Halford and Fae when they achieved nothing with us. From memory a few million for Sonko when we all knew he wasn't the same player after injury. Managed to sell Mills for a few million from memory?

The man who picked up Doyle and Long for a pittance, Alfie and Kitson for not much more, and all at pay rates we can afford?

You want to question those skills?

Who do you imagine would do better?

All at a lower level than we are now. Not setting the world alight in the premier league and didn't last time at this level. Arguably the biggest signng this time needed Anton to do the negotiating. Think Paddy may have a point.

Pay attention for the science. Sell high, buy low, do it with someone else's money. Highly respected across the division and coveted by several other clubs - not a big timer, but content to be inconspicuous. Record speaks for itself - incidentally, can we identify many others providing continuity throughout the recent period of success. Common denominator? Nick Hammond. Worst thread ever.

Divvy

by Divvy » 28 Jan 2013 20:39

paddy20 Is it time to question Nicky Hammond's skills at negotiating? If we believe some of the paper talk we seem to always offer figures either well below or just below the asking price.

He knows better than anyone at the club what money is available and how many players he needs to try and get in for that money. Of course he will try and negotiate a bargain, that's his job. :roll:

Royal91
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal91 » 28 Jan 2013 20:49

The Beardy Man
paddy20 Is it time to question Nicky Hammond's skills at negotiating? If we believe some of the paper talk we seem to always offer figures either well below or just below the asking price. That seems sensible but on occasions you cant always get a bargain deal. Again if we believe what's reported we have offered £6.5m for Ince when they want £7m. Would 500k make such a difference when compared to staying in this division? We seemed to have lost a number of other targets by not willing sometimes to go that extra mile. Is there an obsession on his or others part of only buying if you get a player at less than their true value? Its clear that we desperately need one or two top quality players in this transfer period to enable us to survive. Lets hope we don't sink the ship for a haporth of tar

You want to question the negotiating skills of the man who got £5.5 million for Kitson, several million for the likes of Halford and Fae when they achieved nothing with us. From memory a few million for Sonko when we all knew he wasn't the same player after injury. Managed to sell Mills for a few million from memory?

The man who picked up Doyle and Long for a pittance, Alfie and Kitson for not much more, and all at pay rates we can afford?

You want to question those skills?

Who do you imagine would do better?

Change the thread to. Who has been mugged the most by Hammond? I'll open with Leicester City and Mills. Unbelievable work from Hammo

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 28 Jan 2013 21:31

Norwich with Hughes was a good one.

Or Kitson?

Not related to Hammond but i think many years ago we mugged Southampton selling them Tommy Jenkins for £60K; one trick pony on the wing and he never did anything for them - was our selling record from 1969 until we sold Neil Webb in 1982 I think, and in those days that was a lot of money.

Handsome Man
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Practically Rock Paper Scissors Champion of the World

by Handsome Man » 28 Jan 2013 21:39

Hughes was amazing, but getting millions for Sonko was a masterstroke.

The chap at Wolves must have learnt a lesson from all the dealings they had with Hammond: £25 million for Fletcher, Kightly and Jarvis was a work of genius.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 28 Jan 2013 22:43

SapperBRoyal
UpThePrem

All at a lower level than we are now. Not setting the world alight in the premier league and didn't last time at this level. Arguably the biggest signng this time needed Anton to do the negotiating. Think Paddy may have a point.

Pay attention for the science. Sell high, buy low, do it with someone else's money. Highly respected across the division and coveted by several other clubs - not a big timer, but content to be inconspicuous. Record speaks for itself - incidentally, can we identify many others providing continuity throughout the recent period of success. Common denominator? Nick Hammond. Worst thread ever.

Brian McDermott. John Madejski. Is Nigel Howe still involved?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 28 Jan 2013 22:48

Mid Sussex Royal Norwich with Hughes was a good one.

Or Kitson?

Not related to Hammond but i think many years ago we mugged Southampton selling them Tommy Jenkins for £60K; one trick pony on the wing and he never did anything for them - was our selling record from 1969 until we sold Neil Webb in 1982 I think, and in those days that was a lot of money.

Mills or Sonko for me.

Hughes was easily worth a couple of hundred £k. So whilst we probably got double his value, at that price it's comparatively small.

on the other hand had a big reputation for not much good reason and showed himself to be over-rated and brainless with us, meaning that his potential was never likely to be realised. And yet we still sold him for a profit when we'd paid over the odds in the first place.

Sonko was a good but limited player who's pace got him out of jail time and time again, when that went after his injury, he was a liability waiting to happen, so to sell him for £millions was a total bargain. I like to think that him, along with agents Kitson and Little, really helped put Pompey where they are now.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 28 Jan 2013 23:16

Handsome Man Hughes was amazing, but getting millions for Sonko was a masterstroke.

The chap at Wolves must have learnt a lesson from all the dealings they had with Hammond: £25 million for Fletcher, Kightly and Jarvis was a work of genius.

Did they have dealings with Hammond other than Seol and Doyle? (Well, Lescott...)

We probably came out worse from the Seol deal, hard to say, and Doyle was good value for both sides.

But yeah, don't doubt Hammond kids.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 29 Jan 2013 00:01

1) 500k is a lot of money. Half a million pounds to be precise.

2) it's almost certainly not the case that they want 7 but we offer 6.5. I'm guessing (just a guess mind) that we might've made a complex offer of 2-4mill up front with other bits totalling 6.5 and it's the offer package that they're rejecting

We've made squeaky scapegoat far too often. I think he's done enough good to not be scapegoat again.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 29 Jan 2013 02:58

The HNA? Team Board hits another record low. Just how stupid will this forum get?

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 29 Jan 2013 09:51

Terminal Boardom The HNA? Team Board hits another record low. Just how stupid will this forum get?

There's a fair way to go methinks.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 29 Jan 2013 11:46

Terminal Boardom The HNA? Team Board hits another record low. Just how stupid will this forum get?

Stupid enough to not be able to tell the difference between TB and UR&G?

:wink: