Should Reading FC be more involved in the community?

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Should Reading FC be more involved in the community?

by Hendo » 17 Oct 2014 16:55

How is that the same thing?

westendgirl

by westendgirl » 17 Oct 2014 17:20

No Fixed Abode
Zammo
No Fixed Abode Of course they should. I've said it for years. The PR department is non-existent at the club. If you were passing through the town (as is often the case with the train station) you would never know the club existed.

I understand the club are doing a better job with sending around representatives to schools these days. It was non existent in my day. Hence why many people of my age or thereabouts don't support the club.

What sort of club (who are out on a limb in the town) don't have a permanent base in the town centre?

You don't support Reading because they didn't have a PR machine when you were at school :?: :roll: Assume you were visited by someone on the Chelsea payroll in your youth then ???!

But kids naturally gravitate to top flight or bigger clubs, so Reading need to work harder in the community to try and get the support from kids, who would otherwise support, Chelsea, Man Utd or Arsenal.

From what I understand they do work hard in the community maybe they don't blow their own trumpet enough but seeing 3500 youngsters every week is impressive I think. RFC Community Trust has really moved their community work forward over the last few years.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 04 Nov 2014 14:39

Not sure where to post this but...

When was the last time Reading paid for buses for fans to travel to a game. I recall something like this from a while back but can't remember when and what fixture it was.

I see other clubs doing this more frequently. Brentford are paying for coaches for all fans going to the away game at Nottingham Forest tomorrow.

I would like to see more encouragement for fans to travel away, or at least to reward those travelling week in/week out.

Cureton's Volley
Hob Nob Regular

by Cureton's Volley » 04 Nov 2014 14:46

I used to enjoy kid for a quid. Especially when I could get away with being one.

Whatevs

by Whatevs » 05 Nov 2014 00:09

i think it's a little naive of players not to do things in the community. They have a limited playing career what are they doing in order to secure things after that

* obvs need to expand what i'm thinking on this but cba

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 05 Nov 2014 00:41

bobby1413 Not sure where to post this but...

When was the last time Reading paid for buses for fans to travel to a game. I recall something like this from a while back but can't remember when and what fixture it was.

I see other clubs doing this more frequently. Brentford are paying for coaches for all fans going to the away game at Nottingham Forest tomorrow.

I would like to see more encouragement for fans to travel away, or at least to reward those travelling week in/week out.

Man City in the FA Cup (10/11?). Subsiding match tickets >>>>> paying for buses.

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 11 Nov 2014 11:39

Whatevs i think it's a little naive of players not to do things in the community. They have a limited playing career what are they doing in order to secure things after that

* obvs need to expand what i'm thinking on this but cba

Yeh but arguably they'd do better to cosy up to the media, or local golf clubs/leisure centres/gyms (depending on where they see their post footballing career going) than visiting the local hospice.