Safe Standing Petition

Mr.Swainey

Re: Safe Standing Petition

by Mr.Swainey » 02 May 2016 15:14

West Stand Man
Mr.Swainey
RoyalCrisp An empty north stand with a few families and schools or a full north stand with standing fans, what sounds more preferable?

The owners would definitely prefer the latter. What do they stand (....pun intended) to gain from potentially endorsing these changes? It would come at a cost, they wouldn't stand to make much money from it, and their attention is elsewhere.

Your logic is somewhat awry I am afraid. You say the owners would prefer the latter (full north stand) and then suggest they don't want it because it will cost. Maybe you could clarify your position a bit?

Sorry, I meant former. Not sure why I put latter.

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 02 May 2016 21:14

Mr.Swainey
West Stand Man
Mr.Swainey
The owners would definitely prefer the latter. What do they stand (....pun intended) to gain from potentially endorsing these changes? It would come at a cost, they wouldn't stand to make much money from it, and their attention is elsewhere.

Your logic is somewhat awry I am afraid. You say the owners would prefer the latter (full north stand) and then suggest they don't want it because it will cost. Maybe you could clarify your position a bit?

Ah, that makes more sense now!

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 02 May 2016 22:43

West Stand Man
Mr.Swainey
West Stand Man

The post and poster are certainly more internally consistent, although it certainly doesn't makes more sense for the owners to want an empty stand with a few families.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 03 May 2016 10:26

Ian Royal It might be an idea to read up on safe standing Forbes, then you'd know what it is, because it does rather seem like you don't. Especially with your last post about surges.
Sorry, when I say surge I mean what currently happens when we score the winner and a handful of Y24 youngsters run towards the barrier to gesticulate at the away fans - It hasn't happened much recently due to a new safety initiative called losing at home.

With regards to Hillsborough, I know it was due to overcrowding and safety fences rather than just standing. The key outcomes of this were controls over the number of fans in each area of the ground and the removal of the safety fences.

Perhaps some survey that showed fans would be happy to pay more/the same for standing may help clubs justify the financial cost of implementing this - no doubt they would want extra stewards on hand in those areas until they were comfortable with it, plus the cost of removing the seats, which may have to be put back at a cost for rugby/other events.

If fans who would have gone to the game/bought a ticket anyway are expecting to pay less for something that will cost the club more to implement and run then what exactly is the incentive?

Mr.Swainey

by Mr.Swainey » 03 May 2016 17:15

Ian Royal
West Stand Man
Mr.Swainey

The post and poster are certainly more internally consistent, although it certainly doesn't makes more sense for the owners to want an empty stand with a few families.

Why would they want 4,000 odd people crammed into one terrace behind the goal? We can barely shift tickets as it is, they would rather focus on families than giving TVP a big, usual over-reaction headache.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 03 May 2016 18:15

Mr.Swainey
Ian Royal
West Stand Man

Why would they want 4,000 odd people crammed into one terrace behind the goal? We can barely shift tickets as it is, they would rather focus on families than giving TVP a big, usual over-reaction headache.

I expect they'd prefer it (given the revenue) to a mostly empty stand with a few families.

But the reality would of course not be an entire end given over to safe standing. If the team performs, we'll shift tickets. If we get back to the PL and do ok, we could regularly sell high 20ks pushing 30ks if we had the space.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 04 May 2016 11:45

Mr.Swainey Why would they want 4,000 odd people crammed into one terrace behind the goal? We can barely shift tickets as it is, they would rather focus on families than giving TVP a big, usual over-reaction headache.
From a TVP point of view, I imagine having all the lively Reading fans at the opposite end to the away fans all in one small-ish easy to control area may be preferable than having them right next to the away fans.

One8Seven1*

by One8Seven1* » 04 May 2016 14:09

Forbury Lion
Mr.Swainey Why would they want 4,000 odd people crammed into one terrace behind the goal? We can barely shift tickets as it is, they would rather focus on families than giving TVP a big, usual over-reaction headache.
From a TVP point of view, I imagine having all the lively Reading fans at the opposite end to the away fans all in one small-ish easy to control area may be preferable than having them right next to the away fans.

That would kill the atmosphere totally. You need the interaction with the away fans.

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 04 May 2016 14:43

One8Seven1*
Forbury Lion

That would kill the atmosphere totally. You need the interaction with the away fans.

Really. So how did it work in the 'old days' that everyone seems to hanker after then. Back in the day the 'singers' occupied the stands behind each goal at most stadiums. It actually adds to the atmosphere as the 2 sets of chants are made directly facing each other. The South Bank at EP was an oddity and came about largely due to the roof. In the earlier days the popular end at EP varied depending on which goal we were attacking. It was a ritual that amused me even as a kid, to see the 2 sets of fans changing ends after the toss. Then again at half time they'd switch round happily chatting as they passed each other. ALL the noise came from behind the goals.

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 04 May 2016 15:12

One8Seven1*
Forbury Lion

? Totally the opposite

Standing next to the away fans was a stupid thing for the Reading fans to do when we moved. Club should have got all the singers and general loud ones to all go behind the goal. It would improve the atmosphere immeasureably

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 04 May 2016 16:49

One8Seven1*
Forbury Lion

but from a Police point of view it makes things easier to police having distance between two sets of rival football fans, so they would be in favour of it, rather than against.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 04 May 2016 16:52

John Madejski's Wallet Standing next to the away fans was a stupid thing for the Reading fans to do when we moved. Club should have got all the singers and general loud ones to all go behind the goal. It would improve the atmosphere immeasureably
Has it's routes in the Elm Park days where the Southbank had a low roof to carry the noise and the Tilehurst end behind goal was open and exposed to the elements.... so most of the singers were in the Southbank.

Perhaps the cheaper tickets in the North stand this season will tempt some to move.

Personally, I prefer to watch the game from the side of the pitch.

RoyalCrisp

by RoyalCrisp » 04 May 2016 17:00

Forbury Lion
One8Seven1*
Forbury Lion From a TVP point of view, I imagine having all the lively Reading fans at the opposite end to the away fans all in one small-ish easy to control area may be preferable than having them right next to the away fans.

but from a Police point of view it makes things easier to police having distance between two sets of rival football fans, so they would be in favour of it, rather than against.

I'm sure if you framed it like that they'd be much more open to it, considering how low their opinion of football supporters is. The netting in the away end and stewarding this year has been ridiculous. Though it is true it would reduce the chances of aggro between fans, which almost never happens anyway, as well as making standing safer. No brainer for the club but it needs serious pressure from fans which is something I've rarely seen from us.

The Sum of the Parts
Location: "The Sum of the Parts - the evolution of the perfect team" - Publication April 9th 2016

by The Sum of the Parts » 04 May 2016 17:06

Don't forget in the original plans for the MadStad the away fans would be located in the North Stand. The police made them change it to the other end because of proximity to the exit road for getting away fans out quickly and also for parking of away coaches.

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Hobnob Prediction League Champion 2011/2012, 2020/2021

by LWJ » 04 May 2016 17:07

Celtic announce they are putting a section of safe standing in for next season.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 05 May 2016 22:41

John Madejski's Wallet
One8Seven1*
Forbury Lion From a TVP point of view, I imagine having all the lively Reading fans at the opposite end to the away fans all in one small-ish easy to control area may be preferable than having them right next to the away fans.

? Totally the opposite

Standing next to the away fans was a stupid thing for the Reading fans to do when we moved. Club should have got all the singers and general loud ones to all go behind the goal. It would improve the atmosphere immeasureably

Most of our genuine noise comes from either being wound up by what's on the pitch or interacting with the away fans. So you'd lose a massive chunk of noise, for slightly better acoustics.

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 06 May 2016 17:26

Ian Royal
John Madejski's Wallet
One8Seven1*

? Totally the opposite

Most of our genuine noise comes from either being wound up by what's on the pitch or interacting with the away fans. So you'd lose a massive chunk of noise, for slightly better acoustics.

But with the team being able to attack towards their 'hardcore' support in the second half. Which in itself creates a good atmosphere.

As as for only being noisy because of the away fans.....just shows what a massively sh*t set of 'supporters' we have. Certainly as 'interacting' with the away fans means not watching the pitch.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 09 May 2016 09:14

John Madejski's Wallet
Ian Royal
John Madejski's Wallet ? Totally the opposite

But with the team being able to attack towards their 'hardcore' support in the second half. Which in itself creates a good atmosphere.

As as for only being noisy because of the away fans.....just shows what a massively sh*t set of 'supporters' we have. Certainly as 'interacting' with the away fans means not watching the pitch.

I guess the Kop end at Liverpool being an obvious example.

Having the singers from both sides at opposite ends means that they hear themselves louder than they hear the opposition down the other end so our singers won't realise when they are being out sung by the opposition and you could move the drummer next to the away fans to drown them out with the bang bang bang :lol:

Playing devils advocate - TVP may be reluctant to reduce policing levels due to it being a relatively nice little earner. (I have no evidence of this).

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 09 May 2016 16:35

Forbury Lion
John Madejski's Wallet Standing next to the away fans was a stupid thing for the Reading fans to do when we moved. Club should have got all the singers and general loud ones to all go behind the goal. It would improve the atmosphere immeasureably
Has it's routes in the Elm Park days where the Southbank had a low roof to carry the noise and the Tilehurst end behind goal was open and exposed to the elements.... so most of the singers were in the Southbank.

Perhaps the cheaper tickets in the North stand this season will tempt some to move.

Personally, I prefer to watch the game from the side of the pitch.

Interesting use of 'routes' when I think you meant 'roots'.

That aside, the reason that the South Bank became the home to Reading's 'Kop' was the roof but not for the reasons you say (as I recall it). The 2 ends were open to the elements and pretty unpleasant in inclement weather so, when the fencing went up to prevent people moving around the terraces it made sense to get under cover from the outset. The roof actually degraded the acoustics because of its shape. The pitch roof trapped sound inside so that it sounded pretty loud on the S Bank but much less noise actually got out. Cantilevered roofs like the Mad Stad reflect the noise down and outwards.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 14 May 2016 09:56

Interesting use of 'pitch' when you meant pitched !
Fairly sure that EP was not the prototype indoor stadium !