The 'Royals'isation of Reading FC

121 posts
Green
Hob Nob Legend

Re: The 'Royals'isation of Reading FC

by Green » 09 Aug 2013 20:22

Well no, the name probably comes from the Readingas, an Anglo-Saxon tribe whose name means Reada's People in Old English.

One8Seven1

by One8Seven1 » 09 Aug 2013 21:17

Green Well no, the name probably comes from the Readingas, an Anglo-Saxon tribe whose name means Reada's People in Old English.

It was definitely the Romans that named or changed the towns name to Redding. From what I don't know without going back to Reading Museum.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 10 Aug 2013 06:31

One8Seven1
Green Well no, the name probably comes from the Readingas, an Anglo-Saxon tribe whose name means Reada's People in Old English.

It was definitely the Romans that named or changed the towns name to Redding. From what I don't know without going back to Reading Museum.

There may have been a roman settlement of some description but the earliest recorded for sure dates from around the 8th century. The settlement name afforded to the site around then is Readingum

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 10 Aug 2013 08:46

One8Seven1
Barry the bird boggler Biggest problem I see is the spelling, too many people will see it as an advert for books, therefore I propose to "Slade" the club name to Redding (or "redin" to appeal to today's local youngsters a bit more)

I'm sure the Romans spelt it 'Redding' before it was changed later? I wouldn't be surprised if there was a rebranding here and it was already being phased in slowly - Royals. I don't think I'd care too much either as long as it wasn't something ridiculous like 'Hull City Tigers' or as it will be pushed on the continent - Hull Tigers. That's too American, too Rugby, and generally just shit!

I hate to break this to you but it would be exactly like that.

Well not exactly. I mean we wouldn't call ourselves Hull Tigers.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 10 Aug 2013 10:56

Isn't the team at Reading Swimming Club known as the Reading Royals? I'm sure it was at some point.

I think it is inevitable that we'll be called Reading Royals, or Marussia Reading or something at some point in the future - it's a sacrilege. A nickname is one thing, but completely changing the name of a football team is quite another. We've been Reading FC since 1871 and Reading FC we should stay. :cry:

Royalclapper
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalclapper » 10 Aug 2013 11:13

Royal Lady Isn't the team at Reading Swimming Club known as the Reading Royals? I'm sure it was at some point.

I think it is inevitable that we'll be called Reading Royals, or Marussia Reading or something at some point in the future - it's a sacrilege. A nickname is one thing, but completely changing the name of a football team is quite another. We've been Reading FC since 1871 and Reading FC we should stay. :cry:

Well said. Reading Royals or whatever is just so tacky and cringeworthy and strips away the historical tradition. It's like a relentless drive to exist in some soulless American suburbia, no thanks.

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 10 Aug 2013 12:37

Royal Lady I think it is inevitable that we'll be called Reading Royals, or Marussia Reading or something at some point in the future - it's a sacrilege. :

More likely change strip to Russian red.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 10 Aug 2013 16:48

I'd rather be Reading Biscuitmen or maybe Berkshire Hunts.

One8Seven1

by One8Seven1 » 11 Aug 2013 15:14

PieEater
Royal Lady I think it is inevitable that we'll be called Reading Royals, or Marussia Reading or something at some point in the future - it's a sacrilege. :

More likely change strip to Russian red.

If they did plan something like that then I'd prefer to see a compromise and make the away kit all red. Red is in our colours anyway, and it doesn't then affect the traditional home strip.

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 11 Aug 2013 17:01

Platypuss NFA - first with the news.

Agreed. It was nearly as old as your HellyHanson jacket.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 11 Aug 2013 18:00

#smh

Even Spacey would be ashamed of that level of weakness, m8.

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 11 Aug 2013 18:29

Platypuss #smh

Even Spacey would be ashamed of that level of weakness, m8.

He'd be ashamed of that jacket.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 12 Aug 2013 07:55

:D

That''s better - see you can do it if you try!

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 12 Aug 2013 15:34

How long until Thames Sports Investments rebrand Reading FC as the Reading Royals, then to reflect the TSI name, Thames Valley Royals.......

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 12 Aug 2013 19:06

maffff How long until Thames Sports Investments rebrand Reading FC as the Reading Royals, then to reflect the TSI name, Thames Valley Royals.......

Over my dead body - I'm fully expecting us to be known as Reading Royals, which, in itself is wrong, but ANY referral to Thames Valley Royals and I'll be staging a sit in in the centre circle, not naked though, I'm not that horrible to people.

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 13 Aug 2013 11:45

Royal Lady
maffff How long until Thames Sports Investments rebrand Reading FC as the Reading Royals, then to reflect the TSI name, Thames Valley Royals.......

Over my dead body - I'm fully expecting us to be known as Reading Royals, which, in itself is wrong, but ANY referral to Thames Valley Royals and I'll be staging a sit in in the centre circle, not naked though, I'm not that horrible to people.

You will moan, nothing will be done and you'll still stump up your cash for a season ticket.

Alexander Litvinenko
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Winner - HNA? Music Quiz 2013. The Great Sounds of Polonium 210.

by Alexander Litvinenko » 13 Aug 2013 11:53

In GF, but worth sharing here for a better audience :

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 13 Aug 2013 12:02

I like that.

More to the point how much will you put up with before you stop renewing your season ticket, or attend home matches.

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 13 Aug 2013 15:33

Green I like that.

More to the point how much will you put up with before you stop renewing your season ticket, or attend home matches.

This is my first season without a ST since 2001, m8. I've vowed not to go back until Adkins is gone but that's so irrational it's untrue - away games >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> games at the Madejski for definite though, long may it last.

Brian's left bollock

by Brian's left bollock » 13 Aug 2013 16:19

Why do you hate Adkins?

121 posts