Support!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

140 posts
Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

Re: Support!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by Huntley & Palmer » 21 Apr 2008 09:27

This can go and and sit with the other threads on our support. Oh, and who in the hell went there for the football yesterday? It was all about the drinking surely :|

Seal
Hob Nob Regular

by Seal » 21 Apr 2008 14:53

To be fair to Arsenal, Reading at home is hardly the fixture they circle at the beginning of the season. No suprise they weren't particularly up for it,

I was there with some Gooners for both the Spurs & Man U home games and the atmosphere was pretty good. The other main difference was that the away fans all stood for the entire game and did a pretty decent job of outsinging the home fans. We failed miserably on both counts.

Personally, I completely appreciate that all these threads about atmosphere are pretty dull for any of you who have no real interest in such things. However, I became a passionate fan of RFC because of the time I spent watching them as a kid and teenager in the 90's on the southbank. It was the atmosphere and banter with opposition fans that pulled me in and made me commit a sizeable chunk of my life and finances to supporting this club. If those factors hadn't been there, I sincerly doubt I would have become the ardent fan that I am now.

Therefore when one travels to away games like Saturday, and is left left so disheartened by the experience, no only by the performance on the pitch but because one of your primary loves for following RFC (i.e. the singing and banter) is non existent, it makes the fact for a pretty depressing day.

I'd prettty much given up on getting any atmopshere at home, unless you're over in the SE corner, but to lose it away to makes me wonder what's the point in going anymore. That left side / right side bit was as animated as it got, and even that was done half heartedly. The Arsenal fans I know didn't even hear it.

boycey

by boycey » 21 Apr 2008 15:00

Seal To be fair to Arsenal, Reading at home is hardly the fixture they circle at the beginning of the season. No suprise they weren't particularly up for it,

I was there with some Gooners for both the Spurs & Man U home games and the atmosphere was pretty good. The other main difference was that the away fans all stood for the entire game and did a pretty decent job of outsinging the home fans. We failed miserably on both counts.

Personally, I completely appreciate that all these threads about atmosphere are pretty dull for any of you who have no real interest in such things. However, I became a passionate fan of RFC because of the time I spent watching them as a kid and teenager in the 90's on the southbank. It was the atmosphere and banter with opposition fans that pulled me in and made me commit a sizeable chunk of my life and finances to supporting this club. If those factors hadn't been there, I sincerly doubt I would have become the ardent fan that I am now.

Therefore when one travels to away games like Saturday, and is left left so disheartened by the experience, no only by the performance on the pitch but because one of your primary loves for following RFC (i.e. the singing and banter) is non existent, it makes the fact for a pretty depressing day.

I'd prettty much given up on getting any atmopshere at home, unless you're over in the SE corner, but to lose it away to makes me wonder what's the point in going anymore. That left side / right side bit was as animated as it got, and even that was done half heartedly. The Arsenal fans I know didn't even hear it.

spot on .

biscuitsrus

by biscuitsrus » 21 Apr 2008 15:03

What sort of support is expected for Wigan, is everyone possible going to back the boys?

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Fans who travelled today

by Tony Le Mesmer » 21 Apr 2008 15:20

Chillitsphil
handbags_harris It's almost every pissin game, another thread about the shite amosphere. It's getting somewhat tedious now.

I travelled yesterday to my 195th consecutive match home and away, league and cup (wooo, look at me :roll: ) and I quite honestly enjoyed it as much as I would a bullet in my head. it was the most pointless "competitive" match I've been to in all my 20 years of watching RFC. I was bored shitless, knowing full well that I was there to watch the inevitable away defeat to a far far superior side. I also knew that I'd be sat around a bunch of day tripping knob jocks who were there mainly so that they could say they'd been to the Emirates. I couldn't be arsed with the result, I was actually pleased with a 2-0 defeat (which pissed on my argument that we shouldn't turn up and forfeit the game with a compulsory 3-0 defeat), quite pleased with a couple of the moves we strung together in the 2nd half. But in all I couldn't have been less enthusiastic if I tried, because I'm tired and bored of the Premier League malarky. Bring me Championship football any day - cheaper, more matches, better class of opposition fan leading to much more fun days out.

Spot on, excellent post.

I was going to post how i felt but didnt bother 'cos that pretty much sums up how i feel.

25 mins to go on Saturday & i just got up and left for the pub. i just didn't see the point in staying.

Only been to 6 away games this campaign, which is my worst return for 20 years. If we stay up, ill probably not bother going away at all next season.

boycey

Re: Fans who travelled today

by boycey » 21 Apr 2008 15:31

Tony Le Mesmer
Chillitsphil
handbags_harris If we stay up, ill probably not bother going away at all next season.

apart from Bristol City .
good old school football day out .

Seal
Hob Nob Regular

by Seal » 21 Apr 2008 15:52

Huntley & Palmer This can go and and sit with the other threads on our support. Oh, and who in the hell went there for the football yesterday? It was all about the drinking surely :|

If you mean drinking cocoa from your flask then you're spot on.

NWL Royal

by NWL Royal » 21 Apr 2008 15:55

Seal To be fair to Arsenal, Reading at home is hardly the fixture they circle at the beginning of the season. No suprise they weren't particularly up for it,

Excellent Post. What we need is a more hardcore away following who WILL stand up every away game. 3,000 standing away fans > 30,000 seated home fans.

madreadingfan

by madreadingfan » 21 Apr 2008 16:34

i will be supporting reading home and away no matter what, and no matter what league were in
YOU NEED 2 STAND!!!!! IT PRODUCES SUCH A BETTER ATMOSPHERE!!! THINK ABOUT FULHAM AWAY THIS SEASON, ABSOLUTLE FANTASTIC DAY OUT~!!!

At least at wigan we have a 2600 allocation in a 5000 away stand which means some of us can actually stand up and sing their hearts out and backing the boys!!!

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 21 Apr 2008 16:53

I had a fantastic day at Fulham away and didn't have to stand throughout to do so, but then I'm not mad

biscuitsrus

by biscuitsrus » 21 Apr 2008 18:43

Silver Fox I had a fantastic day at Fulham away and didn't have to stand throughout to do so, but then I'm not mad

just old!

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 22 Apr 2008 12:55

Quite simply, if this lack of atmosphere disheartens you so much. Why don't you just not go?

Seal
Hob Nob Regular

by Seal » 22 Apr 2008 13:42

Huntley & Palmer

Quite simply, if this lack of atmosphere disheartens you so much. Why don't you just not go?

The point of the post was merely to explain why some of us feel to bang on about the atmosphere, and to offer an explaination to those who find such posts boring.

I'm an optimist so I live in hope that it will improve (hence why I go on about it), but if it continues to get worse home and away, then to answer your question yes, I will stop going.

.:BigDaveInTheDungeon:.

by .:BigDaveInTheDungeon:. » 22 Apr 2008 13:43

Huntley & Palmer

thats kind of missing the point, he's trying to do something positive to make it better. if we all just gave up in life nothing would improve and we'd all be living off the state. you shouldn't be slagging people off for trying to change things for the better.

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 23 Apr 2008 10:38

So by standing up and blocking the view of those that wish to sit down, it will produce a better atmosphere? I venture that it won't make a blind bit of difference, you can't change the make up of an away following. We have always had a mixture of hardcore away fans which has always been pretty small (note the severe reduction in AST holders this season) and those that pick and choose their games. Threads like this make me laugh, you can't force people to do what they don't want to do. I stood up a couple of times at Arsenal, got asked to sit down a few times and did so. There were a few families around me and they were just as excitable as everyone else, singing along and standing up in the very few times we had an attempt on target or a corner. People that villify our away support really ought to just get on with it and worry about themselves, I'll do what I want thanks.

Seal
Hob Nob Regular

by Seal » 23 Apr 2008 14:21

Huntley & Palmer So by standing up and blocking the view of those that wish to sit down, it will produce a better atmosphere? I venture that it won't make a blind bit of difference, you can't change the make up of an away following. We have always had a mixture of hardcore away fans which has always been pretty small (note the severe reduction in AST holders this season) and those that pick and choose their games. Threads like this make me laugh, you can't force people to do what they don't want to do. I stood up a couple of times at Arsenal, got asked to sit down a few times and did so. There were a few families around me and they were just as excitable as everyone else, singing along and standing up in the very few times we had an attempt on target or a corner. People that villify our away support really ought to just get on with it and worry about themselves, I'll do what I want thanks.

You've completely missed the point of my post, but hardly a surprise as you clearly are just intent on getting your own point of view across.

I am not asking for anyone to impede the enjoyment of other fans by standing & blocking their view, and I certainly don't expect that anything discussed on here would have any effect on the behaviour of our fans in the real world anyway.

I was simply saying that being a supporter of RFC has CHANGED dramatically during my years following the club, which I find very sad. Home games were the first to change, and away games now seem to have followed suit.

I'm glad that you continue to be happy with things, good for you, I really couldn't care less. I was merely trying to speak for a proportion of fans who don't like how football, and RFC in particular, has changed over the years, as it has had a detrimental effect on their enjoyment of following the team. All I was saying is that is a big shame, I wish we could do something about it, but I'm sure you're right we can't. End of story. Nevertheless if you can't air such greviances on a fans forum where can you?

Maybe one day something that will change in football and it will really bother you, and then you might understand. You appear to like away days for the all day lash, so I'm sure it would annoy you if you were no longer allowed to drink at the football and were breathalised on entry. Maybe you would just stop going, maybe you would moan about it or maybe you would try and rebel. Either way, I'm sure it would fcuk you off and make you pine for days gone by.

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 23 Apr 2008 14:48

:| You were the one banging on about other support and how they all stood up and were far more vocal than we were. RFC has never had a good away following, nor an oustandlingly vocal one since I have been able to go home and away regularly. Little pockets here and there but nothing more. The modernisation of football that you describe is a said indicament of where football is going, nothing can be done about that with all the money around and that doesn't even include the fans and what they pay. Living in the past is just a bit sad, though of course I am not allowed to question your point on an open forum

Seal
Hob Nob Regular

by Seal » 23 Apr 2008 15:29

Huntley & Palmer :| You were the one banging on about other support and how they all stood up and were far more vocal than we were. RFC has never had a good away following, nor an oustandlingly vocal one since I have been able to go home and away regularly. Little pockets here and there but nothing more. The modernisation of football that you describe is a said indicament of where football is going, nothing can be done about that with all the money around and that doesn't even include the fans and what they pay. Living in the past is just a bit sad, though of course I am not allowed to question your point on an open forum

Yes I did say that other fans stood up and were more vocal, but I never said that we should force our fans to do the same, although clearly I wish they did by choice. On that note I hugely disagree with your earlier point that standing wouldn't make a difference. It palpably would. It can not be a coincidence that the most memorable away trips of the past few years have always been when a significant proportion of Reading fans stood.

Anyway, that's beside the point. I completley accept that Reading fans have never been the most vocal in the world, but they used to be a darn sight better than they have been for 99% of this season, particularly away.

I am hardly living in the past here, as there is still potential for a good away trip with RFC, it's just becoming harder to find. One good thing about going back to the Championship (if it happens) will be a number of more entertaining away trips.

Personally I think it's a bit sadder to just accept that's the way it is and not hope something can be done to make things better, but there you go.

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 23 Apr 2008 15:41

I think it has been more to do with the make up of those crowds, which in turn has been directly proportional to the amount of people standing during said matches. Still, as you say, you have to pick and choose carefully on which game to go but I would agree in some part about the diluting of the atmosphere over the last ten years. For me that is the price of success, we can't have it both ways unfortunately. A trip to the New Den or Peterborough in Div 2 will always hold more for me than going to somewhere like Utd or Liverpool, it's just that the percentage of people that feel the same way is tiny

Seal
Hob Nob Regular

by Seal » 23 Apr 2008 16:12

Huntley & Palmer I think it has been more to do with the make up of those crowds, which in turn has been directly proportional to the amount of people standing during said matches. Still, as you say, you have to pick and choose carefully on which game to go but I would agree in some part about the diluting of the atmosphere over the last ten years. For me that is the price of success, we can't have it both ways unfortunately. A trip to the New Den or Peterborough in Div 2 will always hold more for me than going to somewhere like Utd or Liverpool, it's just that the percentage of people that feel the same way is tiny

Completely agree, the demographics of the fan are the key factor. I see there as being a direct relationship between standing and atmosphere not because of the physical act of standing, but because the type of person who wants to stand at games tends to be the more vocal type of fan. Therefore those clubs with are more 'traditional' fanbases, tend to have more fans who want to stand, who by defintion are the more vocal fans anyway, hence the better atmosphere.

Clearly then the only solution is to pick the away games which only appeal to the more traditional fan. Key filters on my scoring system would be:-

Reputation of home fans / surrounding area
Distance
Lateness of kick off time
No of STAR coaches going
Potential for all day lash

This explains the Arsenal debacle, as it's only positive score would be on the 'all day lash' factor.

140 posts