Semi final tickets?

2002 posts
No Fixed Abode

Re: Semi final tickets?

by No Fixed Abode » 30 Mar 2015 18:45

Many a Reading fan profiteering now by selling to Arsenal fans.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 30 Mar 2015 18:46

Schards#2
Clearly, it's all about the +1s, in all the previous occasions, I know lots of people who brought their children, parents, grandparents for what was probably their only game that season. Additionally people who don't follow Reading went with a group of mates for the crack. Once you make it difficult for these people to buy tickets together, they don't go because the +1s aren't diehards anyway.

Definitely. Our true support just isn't that big, and for whatever reason, some of them still won't be going to Wembley either.

As well as mates of fans who won't be going this time, I'd bet there are a fair number of occasional fans who have the points to get a ticket, but also won't go because they can't sit with mates.

Season ticket holders should have been allowed a +1, as long as that +1 is a member.

Still, it's incredibly rare for the ticket office to completely misjudge ticket allocation rules for big games, isn't it?

WAZZOCK

by WAZZOCK » 30 Mar 2015 18:54

Schards#2
handbags_harris Seems fairly simple to me - club have understandably overestimated the demand for tickets and have been let down by the fans. They stated on their website that with 100k members they didn't anticipate going to GS, also stating anyone with 300 points should be ok into the bargain so to get to 50+ points and not have sold out is very disappointing. As if the first FA Cup semi final in 88 years, and only the second in our 145 year history, isn't a big thing? What I find astonishing is we've never had a problem taking 40k to Wembley in the three previous appearances there before - 40k in 1988, 36k in 1995 and could have taken double that if reports at the time are to be believed, and 42k in 2011 - and we took a more than creditable 37k to Cardiff in 2001, so why are we struggling to sell 31.5k tickets this time around? I'm a bit saddened in all honesty.

Clearly, it's all about the +1s, in all the previous occasions, I know lots of people who brought their children, parents, grandparents for what was probably their only game that season. Additionally people who don't follow Reading went with a group of mates for the crack. Once you make it difficult for these people to buy tickets together, they don't go because the +1s aren't diehards anyway.

In hindsight the club should have allowed a +1 but I can understand why they didn't, they have no real benchmark to work against as a play off final is very different. There was little danger of tickets being bought for Luton/Bolton/Walsall/Swansea fans whereas there was a real possibility of a lot of +1s being Arsenal fans as we all know a few who live in the area.

I'm sure we will sell out and, as others have said, there's no obvious way to do this and whatever option you choose is going to upset people.

Very nicely put you two.

The two Bradford games were probably also used as benchmarks, as tickets for both these games flew off the shelf against all the odds.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 30 Mar 2015 18:59

No Fixed Abode Many a Reading fan profiteering now by selling to Arsenal fans.

If someone who was likely to know said that I'd be pretty angry.
In this case I doubt it's happening to any great degree.

Turns8
Hob Nob Regular

by Turns8 » 30 Mar 2015 19:03

Could have easily allowed STH +1 (with the additional criteria of the +1 needing to be a member card holder)...this would have allowed people to buy earlier and in groups and if the club then used the member card points system that they have used, I reckon by the today they would have been nearer the 30k sold than the just over 20k they are currently at....and still everyone who wanted a ticket would have been able to get one!!! :roll:

Currently, 100,000 Member Cards and seemingly only 1 in 4 interested in attending... :mrgreen:

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 30 Mar 2015 19:06

That 100,000 figure was always a massive red herring. Huge numbers would be inactive , lost, never used, dead or multiples. I probably have a dozen cards obtained over the years for various reasons but don't know where most are now. I doubt that is at all unusual.

Turns8
Hob Nob Regular

by Turns8 » 30 Mar 2015 19:07

Nameless That 100,000 figure was always a massive red herring. Huge numbers would be inactive , lost, never used, dead or multiples. I probably have a dozen cards obtained over the years for various reasons but don't know where most are now. I doubt that is at all unusual.

Exactly, furthering the argument that the +1 idea was perfectly acceptable...

North Somerset Royal

by North Somerset Royal » 30 Mar 2015 19:11

I am not surprised at the low take up. I have ST and 3000+ points and so I could have got a ticket on day 1. I didn't because my two sons wanted to go and as they normally play on Saturdays and they have less than 300 points I decided to wait and risk not getting a ticket. There is no way that I would have taken that risk for the previous play off finals etc but the fact is that our performances this season have been mainly abysmal, we have little chance of a win and its live on BBC1. Therefore on this occasion I would rather have missed out than land up having to go on my own.

royalsteve

by royalsteve » 30 Mar 2015 19:14

tmesis
Schards#2

Definitely. Our true support just isn't that big, and for whatever reason, some of them still won't be going to Wembley either.

As well as mates of fans who won't be going this time, I'd bet there are a fair number of occasional fans who have the points to get a ticket, but also won't go because they can't sit with mates.

Season ticket holders should have been allowed a +1, as long as that +1 is a member.

Still, it's incredibly rare for the ticket office to completely misjudge ticket allocation rules for big games, isn't it?

Fair point. I dont think the club did too much wrong. I just think after the first day should have been
day1 season ticket holders only
day2 STs with + 1 extra ticket member card holder with >1500 points
day3 member card holders >1500 points
then same as the rest

they couldn't have done st + 2 as otherwise people like me and my friend with 2700+ points but no ST would have gone mental if an ST bought a ticket for a member card holder with <1500 points

royalsteve

by royalsteve » 30 Mar 2015 19:16

Nameless That 100,000 figure was always a massive red herring. Huge numbers would be inactive , lost, never used, dead or multiples. I probably have a dozen cards obtained over the years for various reasons but don't know where most are now. I doubt that is at all unusual.

true, probably best they do an audit

royalsteve

by royalsteve » 30 Mar 2015 19:20

handbags_harris Seems fairly simple to me - club have understandably overestimated the demand for tickets and have been let down by the fans. They stated on their website that with 100k members they didn't anticipate going to GS, also stating anyone with 300 points should be ok into the bargain so to get to 50+ points and not have sold out is very disappointing. As if the first FA Cup semi final in 88 years, and only the second in our 145 year history, isn't a big thing? What I find astonishing is we've never had a problem taking 40k to Wembley in the three previous appearances there before - 40k in 1988, 36k in 1995 and could have taken double that if reports at the time are to be believed, and 42k in 2011 - and we took a more than creditable 37k to Cardiff in 2001, so why are we struggling to sell 31.5k tickets this time around? I'm a bit saddened in all honesty.

agreed, though the simod cup final we took over 45K, Luton in the top division took a laughable 20K

In fact, when I was there it seemed like we had over half the stadium! Brilliant game, Royals we superb and could have won by more. Was like David v Goliath of epic proportions (not quite Braford v chelsea proportions but not far off) - if you think this seasons FA Cup is a big gulf in class, try the Simod Cup Reading v Luton. Luton beat a decent Arsenal team 3-2 in the same seasons League/Littlewoods Cup just a month later the 4-1 defeat to Royals - just think I paid £6 for a Wembley ticket (to stand though)
Last edited by royalsteve on 30 Mar 2015 19:31, edited 2 times in total.

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 30 Mar 2015 19:29

Looks like I'm f*cked then. With 38 points and not knowing any season ticket holders it doesn't look likely.

Have to say, what I find a bit galling is that the plus twos will be people who barely ever go while I did my main time in the 70s and 80s travelling to far flung outposts.

I know that's a hard luck story, but still galling really.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 30 Mar 2015 19:31

Turns8

Exactly, furthering the argument that the +1 idea was perfectly acceptable...

Not really.
In hindsight +1 would have been fine, I was in favour of it from the start. But to go one ticket per person was also a pretty reasonable option.
2 ways, neither obviously wrong, each with differentros and cons and only in hindsight can we judge which might have been better. And by then it's too late to change

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 30 Mar 2015 19:34

The Simod cup, 1995 & 2001 playoffs must have been largely on a general sale basis as there were no royalty points then; I doubt whether we had more than 3k season ticket holders in 1995.

I am fairly sure Swansea went on general sale too

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 30 Mar 2015 19:38

Norfolk Royal Looks like I'm f*cked then. With 38 points and not knowing any season ticket holders it doesn't look likely.

Have to say, what I find a bit galling is that the plus twos will be people who barely ever go while I did my main time in the 70s and 80s travelling to far flung outposts.

Pm me if you need a St to use

UpThePrem

by UpThePrem » 30 Mar 2015 19:41

Norfolk Royal Looks like I'm f*cked then. With 38 points and not knowing any season ticket holders it doesn't look likely.

If you're still looking, let me know. I got some for the two guys going to every FA Cup round. I can still get an extra 5 if needed.

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 30 Mar 2015 19:50

I'll happily get you a ticket mate. Just PM me.

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 30 Mar 2015 19:54

Thanks guys, may take you up on that. I've got a bruv who lives in Ding who's trying tonight but may be in touch.

CavershamRoyal

by CavershamRoyal » 30 Mar 2015 19:58

Apparently around 6,000 tickets are still left.

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 30 Mar 2015 19:59

Would much rather it went to you than a gooner! I can get you 2 if needed.

2002 posts