824 posts
Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Green park station/south Reading station

by Stranded » 05 Sep 2008 09:25

Streets
Wycombe Royal
Streets I didn't say we were paying for it. I meant that the fact we are attractind around 5000 less people to that 'area' most weeks, it's useage is greatly reduced and therefore less of a priority now.

But what difference does that make to the Pru? As I said they would rather football fans werre banned from using it.

Not to the Pru, sure, but 20,000 using it for football will far out way the usage to and from the offices in a 2 week period and therefore the football will bring greater revenue.

I take your point that the station is mainly for the business park. I had thought as it was talked up so much that it was very much for the football traffic to and from town, but clearly not so much.

If it was very much for the football traffic, then they'd be putting the shunt closer to the stadium.

It being built has an advantage for fans coming in by train (or from the Newbury/West Reading side) - in that they can get to about a mile from the ground and walk the rest - this is a bonus rather than the main intention of the station.

Rhys The Royal

by Rhys The Royal » 05 Sep 2008 17:41

The question remains though, is there any sign of work actually starting on this?

Royalshow

by Royalshow » 05 Sep 2008 18:38

I've got a feeling that work on the station is likely to be delayed until the Green Park Village starts being constructed. Although Pru made it look like they were being all green building a station for the business park and footie fans,it seems it was leverage in order to get PP for a the GP village,which will no doubt make them sack loads of money.

The Cube

by The Cube » 12 Sep 2008 14:59

I haven't travelled on that railway line since my last post on this thread, but I had a bit of time spare before the reserves game on Wednesday, and took the opportunity to cycle round and have a look.

As far as I could see from the road, the site just north of Smallmead Bridge appears untouched since May. However, the site just north of the M4 looks as though it's been cleared more recently. There's also a bridge under the railway line there that is relatively new (obviously can't be seen from the line so it could have been there for several years without me spotting it, of course), so that makes it more likely that it really is the site.

Anyway, I just revisited
http://www.greenpark.co.uk/factfile/newreadingstation.shtml
and the official line is now (disgracefully) "should be open by early 2010", so I declare this thread officially mothballed.

On Wednesday, I also took the opportunity to have a closer look at the wind turbine for the first time. It has its own small unstaffed visitor centre, with real-time information showing operating levels and some display boards. There's also a blackboard and benches so that the space can be used as a classroom. But all of this is next to some rather disconcerting signs warning you to beware of falling ice!

Royalshow

by Royalshow » 12 Sep 2008 15:50

The Cube I haven't travelled on that railway line since my last post on this thread, but I had a bit of time spare before the reserves game on Wednesday, and took the opportunity to cycle round and have a look.

As far as I could see from the road, the site just north of Smallmead Bridge appears untouched since May. However, the site just north of the M4 looks as though it's been cleared more recently. There's also a bridge under the railway line there that is relatively new (obviously can't be seen from the line so it could have been there for several years without me spotting it, of course), so that makes it more likely that it really is the site.

Anyway, I just revisited
http://www.greenpark.co.uk/factfile/newreadingstation.shtml
and the official line is now (disgracefully) "should be open by early 2010", so I declare this thread officially mothballed.

On Wednesday, I also took the opportunity to have a closer look at the wind turbine for the first time. It has its own small unstaffed visitor centre, with real-time information showing operating levels and some display boards. There's also a blackboard and benches so that the space can be used as a classroom. But all of this is next to some rather disconcerting signs warning you to beware of falling ice!

Shame on them changing the date on the shade.It said 2008 up until about a week ago.

The Cube

by The Cube » 12 Sep 2008 16:47

The Cube However, the site just north of the M4 looks as though it's been cleared more recently. There's also a bridge under the railway line there that is relatively new

Apologies - that bit is pure drivel. Not sure why I suddenly thought the railway line was on an embankment. The "new" opening goes under Kybes Lane just north of where it crosses the M4 - when in use, this would open up the land between there and the railway line.

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 12 Sep 2008 19:23

That underpass has been there for a while now, originally I assumed it was for phase two of GP, but now that it appears that the offices are a white elephant i would assume they would try to build houses there, sadly for the Pru they would need a public road out of it, would not want all those nasty cars driving through their lovely GP .

Upper West Ginger

by Upper West Ginger » 24 Mar 2009 11:47

An update - the Office of Rail Regulation has given the go-ahead for Network Rail to lease land to the Pru for the construction of the station.

http://www.transportbriefing.co.uk/story.php?id=5741

STAR Voice

by STAR Voice » 24 Mar 2009 11:50

STAR has got a presentation showing full details of RGP station, together with maps, diagrams, artist's impressions and timescales.

As soon as I have time these will be published on the STAR website and linked to from here.

premiership_bound

by premiership_bound » 08 Apr 2009 22:26

In your own time then :wink:

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 09 Apr 2009 07:48

I bet it looks something like this

http://www.greenparkvillage.co.uk/station.html

premiership_bound

by premiership_bound » 09 Apr 2009 10:27

That image has been available for a few years. I think they are talking about end of 2010 now for the dates.

gazzer, loyal royal
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Khalifa Cisse sleeps with the light on, not because he is afraid of the dark, but because the dark i

Station at the ground

by gazzer, loyal royal » 27 Apr 2009 13:55

I Understand that there will be a train station opening at Green Park for the start of next season. HTH

Deathy
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Station at the ground

by Deathy » 27 Apr 2009 14:07

Well that gives us something to choo on.

Y21_Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Y21_Royal » 27 Apr 2009 15:09

So in 4 months they're going to divert and extend the trainline and build a new station? :roll:

If you're gona go fishing try something a bit tastier as bait

Skyline

by Skyline » 27 Apr 2009 15:20

Been discussed at length on this very forum in this thread

Royalshow

by Royalshow » 27 Apr 2009 16:40

Y21_Royal So in 4 months they're going to divert and extend the trainline and build a new station? :roll:

mug, where did he say it was going to be at the ground?

Thaumagurist*
Hob Nob Regular

by Thaumagurist* » 27 Apr 2009 16:41

Royalshow
Y21_Royal So in 4 months they're going to divert and extend the trainline and build a new station? :roll:

Er, in the thread title. :|

gazzer, loyal royal
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Khalifa Cisse sleeps with the light on, not because he is afraid of the dark, but because the dark i

by gazzer, loyal royal » 27 Apr 2009 17:39

Thaumagurist*
Royalshow

Er, in the thread title. :|

the train from reading to basingstoke runs right next to green park, and there is already being a station built there

The Cube

by The Cube » 27 Apr 2009 23:28

To be honest, there is precisely as much chance of there being a railway station at the ground at the start of next season as there is of there being one at Green Park. (And that's no chance at all.)

And gazzer loyal royal clearly has adopted the traditional builder's concept of "being built".

824 posts