Club Financial Statement

231 posts
Vision
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Club Financial Statement

by Vision » 02 Oct 2009 11:31

Some admittedly rather crude but comparitive figures for other clubs operating in the Premiership.

These figures are all taken to the end of 2007/08 our relegation year.

Bolton
Turnover: 51m
Pre tax profit/loss = -8m
% wages/turnover = 75%

Blackburn
Turnover: 53m
Pre tax profit/loss = +3m (first pre tax profit year in 10 years)
% wages/turnover = 70%

Wigan
Turnover: 43m
Pre tax profit/loss = -11m
% wages/turnover = 89%

Fulham
Turnover: 52m
Pre tax profit/loss = -7.5m ( Fulham's 7 Prem seasons have seen a cumulative pre tax loss of over 100m)
% wages/turnover = 78%

Birmingham
Turnover: 50m
Pre tax profit/loss = +4.5m
% wages/turnover = 53%

Derby
Turnover: 48.5m
Pre tax profit/loss = +1.7m
% wages/turnover = 54%

Reading
Turnover: 58m
Pre tax profit/loss = +6.7m
% wages/turnover = 57%

A couple of other interesting footnotes from the same season.

Newcastle
Turnover: 99m
Pre tax profit/loss = -20m
% wages/turnover = 75%

Also to give underline the difference in turnover in the championship

West Brom in their 2007/08 promotion year
Turnover: 27m
Pre tax profit/loss = +10.7m
% wages/turnover = 79%

And lest we forget our promotion season.
Turnover: 18m
Pre tax profit/loss = -6.5m
% wages/turnover = 80%

People i'm sure will draw their own conclusions as to what (if anything) it indicates but thats just a crude basic snapshot of the sort of finances similiar sized clubs have during a particular Premiership season.

Thaumagurist*
Hob Nob Regular

by Thaumagurist* » 02 Oct 2009 11:32

Christ, what a stupid moaning whinging thread. And anyway, why was a new one started when there was a perfectly good existing one which Zac had posted the statement on. :roll:

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 02 Oct 2009 11:34

Thaumagurist* Christ, what a stupid moaning whinging thread. And anyway, why was a new one started when there was a perfectly good existing one which Zac had posted the statement on. :roll:

This is the moved one from "The Team"

kadzidlo
Location: Head Researcher of Reading FC for SI Games - Football Manager Game

by kadzidlo » 02 Oct 2009 12:11

adamh4608 Does anyone know what the wage billis now

Probably in the region of £8m - £9m
for both Staff and Players

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 02 Oct 2009 12:27

Yes, it has been agreed between the club and the players and has no relevance to us other than schadenfreude

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 02 Oct 2009 13:17

ScottishRoyal
Terminal Boardom And fair play to the club for finally making this statement.

They deserve a lot of credit for doing this. How many other clubs would openly publish this information...

Most clubs to be fair, you just have to know where to look.

I've posted similar breakdowns on a number of clubs in the past, so those posts are probably still out there somewhere. Vision has shown some other similar figures here too.

kadzidlo

When we went up it was in the region of £15m I think. I would guess you're not massively off target with your estimate, altough I would probably have gone £10-£12 personally.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 02 Oct 2009 13:24

brendywendy so, people moan about finances, lack of clarity, and where has all the money gone
and the club issue a statement, which they dont need to do, other than at agreed times to companys house
and then people moan that it took too long, theres notr enough info etc

i said it was a pointless excersise

Massive all out 'greed there brenda, it really doesn't matter what the club say, certain people wil continue to trumpet their own agenda, although having said that I wish the report contained figures for how many puppies Nicky Hammond has shot since we got promoted.

adamh4608

by adamh4608 » 02 Oct 2009 17:32

kadzidlo

I think it will be a lot lower once we have are January sales as I think that the likes of cisse tabb matejovsky long and some other will go. In the summer it will be gunnarsson kebe ingimaisson going .

unless these rich people come

adamh4608

by adamh4608 » 02 Oct 2009 17:36

adamh4608
kadzidlo

I think it will be a lot lower once we have are January sales as I think that the likes of cisse tabb matejovsky long and some other will go. In the summer it will be gunnarsson kebe ingimaisson going .

unless these rich people come

not forgetting chris armstrong

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 02 Oct 2009 17:57

Sun Tzu
Victor Meldrew With very astute operations in the transfer market these clubs do manage to survive

Doyle, Hunt, Kitson, Bikey, Sonko, Shorey.......

In the Premiership.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 02 Oct 2009 18:06

Vision Some admittedly rather crude but comparitive figures for other clubs operating in the Premiership.

These figures are all taken to the end of 2007/08 our relegation year.

Bolton
Turnover: 51m
Pre tax profit/loss = -8m
% wages/turnover = 75%

Blackburn
Turnover: 53m
Pre tax profit/loss = +3m (first pre tax profit year in 10 years)
% wages/turnover = 70%

Wigan
Turnover: 43m
Pre tax profit/loss = -11m
% wages/turnover = 89%

Fulham
Turnover: 52m
Pre tax profit/loss = -7.5m ( Fulham's 7 Prem seasons have seen a cumulative pre tax loss of over 100m)
% wages/turnover = 78%

Birmingham
Turnover: 50m
Pre tax profit/loss = +4.5m
% wages/turnover = 53%

Derby
Turnover: 48.5m
Pre tax profit/loss = +1.7m
% wages/turnover = 54%

Reading
Turnover: 58m
Pre tax profit/loss = +6.7m
% wages/turnover = 57%

A couple of other interesting footnotes from the same season.

Newcastle
Turnover: 99m
Pre tax profit/loss = -20m
% wages/turnover = 75%

Also to give underline the difference in turnover in the championship

West Brom in their 2007/08 promotion year
Turnover: 27m
Pre tax profit/loss = +10.7m
% wages/turnover = 79%

And lest we forget our promotion season.
Turnover: 18m
Pre tax profit/loss = -6.5m
% wages/turnover = 80%

People i'm sure will draw their own conclusions as to what (if anything) it indicates but thats just a crude basic snapshot of the sort of finances similiar sized clubs have during a particular Premiership season.

So those with the best profit and lowest %wages/turnover got relegated.
Like you,I'm not sure what that says other than in the following season their Sky money (one element of turnover) would reduce by about £18million.

Bill Oddie
Location: By the bamboo bush in the central reservation on the M4

by Bill Oddie » 03 Oct 2009 00:45

It just goes to show that we all thought being a half decent footballer was the best job in the world, this now confirms it definatley IS the best job in the world. I work 38.6 hrs a week, hate it and earn in a year what some of Reading players earn in a fortnight. God, life is so unfair !

BenReadingFC
Hob Nob Regular

by BenReadingFC » 03 Oct 2009 01:03

Bill Oddie It just goes to show that we all thought being a half decent footballer was the best job in the world, this now confirms it definatley IS the best job in the world. I work 38.6 hrs a week, hate it and earn in a year what some of Reading players earn in a fortnight. God, life is so unfair !

AMEN

MeMeMe

Someone has it wrong !

by MeMeMe » 03 Oct 2009 18:54

In the recent declaration on the clubs finances ..."Last summer the board again made a concerted attempt to ensure promotion, and every aspect of the club was run at a Premier League level - for example our wage bill was double that of the last time we were in the Championship. Even taking into account a parachute payment of £11,500,000 we made a loss of £6,265,000 last season."

In Steve Copell's final interview on radio Berks after the Burnley defeat he declared "The club have made an awful lof of money this season".

So who has it wrong ?.

Oh, and from the same statement...."That money was reinvested on two fronts - £10,600,000 on player transfers, and a further £7,450,000 on club infrastructure.".... what does 7.5 Million investment on club infrastructure last season entail ?.

Thou Voice

Re: Someone has it wrong !

by Thou Voice » 03 Oct 2009 18:56

MeMeMe what does 7.5 Million investment on club infrastructure last season entail ?.

Hotel.

It has an awesome media suite so we can declair our losses every couple of weeks or so.

DO YOU SEE? :shock:

MeMeMe

Re: Someone has it wrong !

by MeMeMe » 03 Oct 2009 19:05

Ahhh I see :) now that is REAL investment in the club infrastructure. As I have said.... it's now all about money... Do You See :)

peterroyal76
Hob Nob Regular
Location: North stand B13.......where all the empty seats are!

by peterroyal76 » 03 Oct 2009 20:09

We got the A-rabs coming in chill 8) :?[/quote]

Don't let Alivey hear you say the "A-rabs" word or he will brand you a racist!

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 03 Oct 2009 20:20

Call my cynical but having had a look at the statement again I feel that something is not quite right.
Bearing in mind that the stadium and hotel must be worth over £60million and the owner himself some way north of that I just don't believe that the club HAD to repay an o/d of just £7.5 million immediately in August.
The money could have been rescheduled if the club wanted to retain the credit and to then say that those players HAD to be sold is treating us as idiots.
If the club had said that (for whatever reason but sale comes to mind )it wanted to clear the debt as a business decision fair enough but to blame bankers as an excuse for selling players I really don't think is right.
The other minor matter of £7.45 million on "infrastrucure" (a very vague term but a similar amount to our o/d) hasn't been explained but is also a sum of money not far short of our ticket sales for the whole season so might have warranted a bit of explanation.

I have felt over the past few years that a greater distance has developed between we fans and the club itself and this financial statement and the plea of poverty in recent times by the owner only contribute to the feeling.
What can we do about anything?
Nothing, as we watch our club slide from 8th in the Premiership towards the 3rd division of English football which is where I came in over 50 years ago.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 03 Oct 2009 20:22

Victor Meldrew Call my cynical but having had a look at the statement again I feel that something is not quite right.
Bearing in mind that the stadium and hotel must be worth over £60million and the owner himself some way north of that I just don't believe that the club HAD to repay an o/d of just £7.5 million immediately in August.
The money could have been rescheduled if the club wanted to retain the credit and to then say that those players HAD to be sold is treating us as idiots.
If the club had said that (for whatever reason but sale comes to mind )it wanted to clear the debt as a business decision fair enough but to blame bankers as an excuse for selling players I really don't think is right.
The other minor matter of £7.45 million on "infrastrucure" (a very vague term but a similar amount to our o/d) hasn't been explained but is also a sum of money not far short of our ticket sales for the whole season so might have warranted a bit of explanation.

I have felt over the past few years that a greater distance has developed between we fans and the club itself and this financial statement and the plea of poverty in recent times by the owner only contribute to the feeling.
What can we do about anything?
Nothing, as we watch our club slide from 8th in the Premiership towards the 3rd division of English football which is where I came in over 50 years ago.

I'm truely shocked to see you being cynical about our accounts. :roll:

peterroyal76
Hob Nob Regular
Location: North stand B13.......where all the empty seats are!

by peterroyal76 » 03 Oct 2009 20:24

funnelling funds to the hotel?

I think this is a big part of it.

231 posts