Saturdays Game off?

183 posts
Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Saturdays Game off?

by Dirk Gently » 10 Jan 2010 12:34

Hence my use of the phrase ""or at least was."

The decision was made on Thursday, taking into account the current situation and the forecast.

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 10 Jan 2010 17:11

But it was not, they were doing heart monitor replacements last wednesday , thursday and also friday, two days of which BBC Berks said ALL non emergency operations were cancelled.

I can tell you that the Jim Shahi Unit was calling patients booked in to come in for operations if they were able to, and thats from the unit themselves. BBC Berks gave out opposite information.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 10 Jan 2010 17:27

I'm not sure whether a game at the Madejski would put much strain on the resources of the heart surgeons though.

Is it not possible that the ED and orthopedics surgeons are snowed under (excuse the pun) with injuries caused by the weather and advised the club that a gathering of 24,000 people on slippy pavements, with the possibility of lots of falls, might just be more than they could cope with. Not in itself a reason to call the game off but just one of a number of factors adding up to the postponement.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 10 Jan 2010 17:30

Harpers So Solid Crew which was also incorrect as i found when i called to see if my fathers op for a new pacemaker was on for monday, non emergency, yet they had been doing the ops all week, consultants and surgeons were staying in rooms at hospital.

as always a lot of misinformation out there. The area around the ground will not have been salted after the clearance as the game was called off, so conditions that ST saw were not quite as they would have been had they made the decision to play it, also the movement of vehicles and pedestrians helps to break up the ice and turn it to slush.

Still the right decision by the club, no further need to justify.

I got to Brighton with no problems, and as can be seen by my photos of the Madstad on this thread, they had done a bit more than clear a small path, I wonder how many people are to sue Sainsburt Tesco et al for not closing and making them take a chance of injury on private land?

Rest assured, I would sue them if I had an accident in their car park/on their paths due to the icy conditions. I think it is absolutely scandalous that these incredibly wealthy supermarket chains have made little or no attempt to clear the snow and ice from their car parks etc. in contrast to small retailers in our village who have made the effort to clear their frontages. Only good thing is that the club sponsor have done really well to clear the snow and ice at our local branch!

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 10 Jan 2010 17:38

and you Sir, would lose and have to pay their legal costs, still want to go ahead??

ankeny
Hob Nob Regular

by ankeny » 10 Jan 2010 19:29

Harpers So Solid Crew But it was not, they were doing heart monitor replacements last wednesday , thursday and also friday, two days of which BBC Berks said ALL non emergency operations were cancelled.

I can tell you that the Jim Shahi Unit was calling patients booked in to come in for operations if they were able to, and thats from the unit themselves. BBC Berks gave out opposite information.

Yes I will vouch for that,my wife works in the operating theatres at the Berks assisting the surgeons and it was buisness as usual.A lot opting to kip at the hospital.

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 11 Jan 2010 12:48

STAR TRAVEL Having spent the best part of the day up at the Mad Stad in the STAR HQ, I can assure you calling the game off was the only decision the club could have made.Snow is piled up and frozen, yes they have cleared a narrow path around the stadium enough for single file walking but the car parks were covered in snow and 18,000 + people trying to negotiate snow & ice was a recipe for disaster. The pitch didn't look too bad from what I could see, but as for steps and seats I can only imagine. When I left at 5.15pm you could have held dancing on ice on the road outside the East Stand, driving down the slope was done very carefully it was absolutely freezing and getting more so by the second, so as much as I love my footy it was the right decision to make. I would imagine that there also would have been a great deal of external pressure on the club from SAG and the emergency services, I am not sure the RBH would have loved an influx of walking wounded and broken bones to deal with. I am sure the only ones rubbing their hands with glee would have been ' the no win no fee' ambulance chasers queuing up to sue the club.

Nonsense. If I go to a gig or say go shopping at the oracle......then they don't care how I get there as long as I'm in there spending my money. What happens outside the ground isn't Reading FCs business. The game could have gone ahead easily. As long as the ground inside is fit for purpose there is no need to call the game off.

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 11 Jan 2010 13:11

No Fixed Abode

Nonsense. If I go to a gig or say go shopping at the oracle......then they don't care how I get there as long as I'm in there spending my money. What happens outside the ground isn't Reading FCs business. The game could have gone ahead easily. As long as the ground inside is fit for purpose there is no need to call the game off.

.. and you achieved your legal qualification and experience in PI Law from where, precisely?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 11 Jan 2010 18:55

LOL @ the suggestion that the club aren't responsible for the maintenance and safety of it's land!

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 11 Jan 2010 19:38

Ian Royal LOL @ the suggestion that the club aren't responsible for the maintenance and safety of it's land!

Who suggested that, I must have missed it.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 11 Jan 2010 21:03

Harpers So Solid Crew
Ian Royal LOL @ the suggestion that the club aren't responsible for the maintenance and safety of it's land!

Who suggested that, I must have missed it.

No Fixed Abode did, 3 posts back.....

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 12 Jan 2010 07:36

No he didn't he said that the surrounding areas are not the clubs responsibility.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 12 Jan 2010 08:59

Once again, the H&S / Litigation brigade win the day. Sometimes, this country and the attitudes of its residents makes me sick.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 12 Jan 2010 11:54

ooh, it's health and safety gone mad

Mr Optimist
Hob Nob Regular

by Mr Optimist » 12 Jan 2010 12:00

Silver Fox ooh, it's health and safety gone mad

It's been mentioned a couple of times or so in the last week on Talk Spurt as well.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 12 Jan 2010 12:22

Harpers So Solid Crew No he didn't he said that the surrounding areas are not the clubs responsibility.

Actually he said only the inside of the ground was the club's responsibility.

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 12 Jan 2010 17:22

No Fixed Abode As long as the ground inside is fit for purpose there is no need to call the game off.

Knowing the quality of the ground staff it probably wouldn't have been.

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 12 Jan 2010 17:27

Ian Royal
Harpers So Solid Crew No he didn't he said that the surrounding areas are not the clubs responsibility.

Actually he said only the inside of the ground was the club's responsibility.

Which is correct, unless you think that the GROUND does not include the car parks and walkways outside the arena.

They cleared the area that was needed for the Hotel and the conference centre ASAP, there was no problems accessing for that since the snow, the club would have done the same for the rest of the ground, however they, and in discussion with others, decided that there might be a risk on areas outside their control, so in all fairness they called it off. The club did NOTHING wrong, however there is an arguement that it could easily have gone ahead, but no one seems to be saying that it should have.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 12 Jan 2010 18:05

Funnily enough I think "the ground" refers to the stadium itself. And "outside the ground" means outside the stadium and "inside the ground" means inside the stadium. I'd have thought most people would think exactly the same.

Although, "grounds" would be a slightly different matter.

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 12 Jan 2010 18:11

we will have to agree to disagree then, am not getting into an arguement about it. Suffice to say RFC were happy to clear the parts that they were responsible for, and had already made access to the Madstad possible, and the Hotel, which i assume is not part of the ground :wink:

183 posts