Brighton (A) Moved

leicsRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Brighton (A) Moved

by leicsRoyal » 25 Jun 2011 09:17

Svlad Cjelli BOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

I assume this is down to Sussex Police.

If it was down to Sussex Police, I would suggest they have got their priorities wrong.

West Ham - Saturday
Portsmouth - Saturday
Southampton - b/h Monday.

I know they can't move every fixture around but would expect all of the above to need heavier policing than us.

Irvinchangeyaname

by Irvinchangeyaname » 25 Jun 2011 10:02

It'll have nothing to do with potential trouble. Brighton on a Bank Holiday is rammed and the police commitments in town and on the seafront will be huge. Added to that the A23 into Brighton on a BH is a nightmare without the added volume of traffic coming down for the football.

Living in Brighton, ever since they got promoted I've had to put up with jibes about us not being able to sell out the away end. Sadly now it's an evening game they will probably be right.

Row Z Royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: LOLandmarks come and go. There'll only ever be one "Clickety Clique"

by Row Z Royal » 26 Jun 2011 00:13

IN!!

Quote me so I'll be too ashamed not to turn up

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 26 Jun 2011 07:05

Irvinchangeyaname It'll have nothing to do with potential trouble. Brighton on a Bank Holiday is rammed and the police commitments in town and on the seafront will be huge. Added to that the A23 into Brighton on a BH is a nightmare without the added volume of traffic coming down for the football.

Living in Brighton, ever since they got promoted I've had to put up with jibes about us not being able to sell out the away end. Sadly now it's an evening game they will probably be right.

depends how many RFC get, 2000 will sell out I would think, might even pop along ourselves as not working that day.

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 26 Jun 2011 10:53

Irvinchangeyaname It'll have nothing to do with potential trouble. Brighton on a Bank Holiday is rammed and the police commitments in town and on the seafront will be huge. Added to that the A23 into Brighton on a BH is a nightmare without the added volume of traffic coming down for the football.

It's a new stadium so I'm positive we'd sell out

who are ya?
Hob Nob Regular

by who are ya? » 26 Jun 2011 11:21

Yeah I can see it selling out still, providing we're not on a horrendous run at the time.
Should still be able to go to this, will just have to leave the bucket and spade at home :cry:

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 26 Jun 2011 12:01

Very good move to the Tuesday

IMHO

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 27 Jun 2011 09:05

This is an email I received from a BHAFC supporting ex colleague down in Brighton, giving the reason why our game was switched...

Speaking to the natives, this particular switch is because Brighton is now a place which is fast becoming the protest capital of the Uk! (In fact. The green council came out to actively encourage protesting in the city (against central government)). Of course we local tax payers don’t mind picking up the cost of policing all this – over £1m a year on top of our council tax....Tossers!

We have marches for this , that and the other virtually every bank holiday now (last Easter Monday there were several on the same day!) so I guess the police would be spread too thin if there was to be a football match on the same day.

Anyway, enough of my rant – that’s apparently the reason for the switch.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 27 Jun 2011 09:27

Could you ask your mate if Bright supporters would mind organising a protest march about the game being moved?

Svlad Cjelli
Hob Nob Regular
Location: It's the Premier LEAGUE, you cretins. The Premiership hasn't existed for years.

by Svlad Cjelli » 27 Jun 2011 15:53

Just got a mail back from Brighton that confirms the above :

The reason for moving the fixture is that, as a seaside town, we are discouraged by the relevant authorities from playing matches at home on bank holidays.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 27 Jun 2011 15:57

Svlad Cjelli Just got a mail back from Brighton that confirms the above :

The reason for moving the fixture is that, as a seaside town, we are discouraged by the relevant authorities from playing matches at home on bank holidays.

I wonder if the likes of Bournemouth, Blackpool, Southend and Torquay adopt a similar attitude.

Jerry St Clair
Hob Nob Regular

by Jerry St Clair » 27 Jun 2011 16:12

Terminal Boardom I wonder if the likes of Bournemouth, Blackpool, Southend and Torquay adopt a similar attitude.

No. We played Blackpool on Easter Monday a couple of years ago.

We have Leeds to thank for this. They trashed Bournemouth on May Day bank holiday in 1991 and, ever since, police forces (on the south coast particularly) have been very wary about BH games.

I guess, on paper, we're a local-ish derby with a probably travelling support of several thousand. The fact that Reading fans are generally some of the better behaved in the division hasn't really been taken into account.

Compo's Hat
Hob Nob Regular

by Compo's Hat » 27 Jun 2011 20:23

No daytrippers coming is now a massive bonus for this game.

LOLz at moving a game because of fireworks night though.

Irvinchangeyaname

by Irvinchangeyaname » 28 Jun 2011 13:25

Compo's Hat LOLz at moving a game because of fireworks night though.

Whilst I understand your scepticism, Lewes bonfire night is HUGE, one of the biggest in the country. The whole town closes and crammed full with about 40,000 people, most of whom are pissed out their heads.

Added to that, the road the Amex is on is the main road from Brighton to Lewes and so a football match on the same night was always a non-starter.

Compo's Hat
Hob Nob Regular

by Compo's Hat » 28 Jun 2011 19:22

Irvinchangeyaname

Whilst I understand your scepticism, Lewes bonfire night is HUGE, one of the biggest in the country. The whole town closes and crammed full with about 40,000 people, most of whom are pissed out their heads.

Added to that, the road the Amex is on is the main road from Brighton to Lewes and so a football match on the same night was always a non-starter.

You'd have thought the club would have seen the clash coming and when the FA asked what fixtures to avoid home games on this would have been one.

T.R.O.L.I.
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 2 down, far right - Still recovering from the weekend's excesses

by T.R.O.L.I. » 28 Jun 2011 19:32

Compo's Hat You'd have thought the club would have seen the clash coming and when the FA asked what fixtures to avoid home games on this would have been one.

They probably did but it would have been way down the list of "requests" - the reason being (as has been shown) they are able to move the game(s) back by one day.

Compare that with, say, Reading festival - a whole weekend's (including the Monday) event so no football at home that weekend.

Svlad Cjelli
Hob Nob Regular
Location: It's the Premier LEAGUE, you cretins. The Premiership hasn't existed for years.

by Svlad Cjelli » 28 Jun 2011 19:37

Also they maybe could have had a police-freee match that night, but not one that would require policing.

But as TROLI says, they can only request certain things, not demand them, although the police can insist on no games on certain days.

In this case it may simply have been that no-one thought of it - they've never had a stadium on the road to Lewes before so it's only when they got the fixture list that they realised there'd be a problem.

Red
Hob Nob Regular

by Red » 29 Jun 2011 12:20

Shambles

pea
Hob Nob Regular

by pea » 29 Jun 2011 13:30

Irvinchangeyaname

Add the fact that every train station around Brighton is working far beyond its intended capacity from about 3pm onwards on fireworks night because of Lewes.

Like all the other Sussex Royals I'm really pleased this game has been moved. Means my old man can come too now.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 29 Jun 2011 13:43

Colleague at work who lives in Brighton says that this is due to traffic chaos in and around Brighton every Bank Holiday weekend. Hence the move.