Would you swap Madejski Stadium for Elm Park?

Would you swap Madejski Stadium for Elm Park?

I prefer Madejski Stadium
48%
I prefer Elm Park
52%

Total votes: 63
No Fixed Abode

Re: Would you swap Madejski Stadium for Elm Park?

by No Fixed Abode » 18 Jan 2016 18:30

It's a shame the Mad Stad is in the arse end of nowhere with not much around it. You really can't beat grounds that are near a plethora of pubs etc. Perhaps it will come to life more when the site is developed further.

Winchester Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Winchester Royal » 18 Jan 2016 18:48

No Fixed Abode It's a shame the Mad Stad is in the arse end of nowhere with not much around it. You really can't beat grounds that are near a plethora of pubs etc. Perhaps it will come to life more when the site is developed further.

I find myself in agreement - if the Madejski was somewhere like Kings Meadow, Palmer Park or on Richfield Avenue there would be more pubs, easier access from town and the station, and perhaps more of a match day vibe.

Mr.Swainey

by Mr.Swainey » 18 Jan 2016 18:58

:lol: @ anyone who prefers the Madejski.

Elm Park was beers, windmilling and bounces - football in a nut shell.

Mr.Swainey

by Mr.Swainey » 18 Jan 2016 18:58

WoodleyRoyal It a was fab, proper match day experience. It was natural not forced the way it is now with rumblesticks, blaring music out the pa system so you can't hear what the person is saying next to you and no goal music. oh to do the walk along the oxford road again before the game - it was always fun.

You didn't need a season ticket, you could just pick and choose the games you were able to attend and not have to worry about being sat on your tod because all your mates now have no spare seats around them. All your mates would have their bit of the south bank, you knew where they were, you could just pitch up squeeze through and go and stand with them. You could sneak a couple of tinnies in smoke call the oppo fans oxf*rd as much as you wanted without the fear of some fleece wearing oxf*rd turning around and saying "can you mind your language there is a kid sat here" :| . After the game you could jump on an old red routemaster and by the time conductor had got round the bus to take the fares you were already off 8)

depressing soules megabowl is not how football should be.

+1.

Barney
Hob Nob Regular

by Barney » 18 Jan 2016 21:35

I was present at Elm Park from 1970 through to its closure. From a boy, I progressed through the Tilehurst End..and then my 'home' was the Southbank. I barely missed a home game from mid 1970s till its closure. Brilliant memories. Epic wins, packed night games, pitch invasions, numerous promotions and relegations, and some woefully low crowds.
Having a pee break at half time was a chore. A few 'offs' with away fans that got into the Southbank. Charlie Hurley's Blue and White Army. Aldershot away. That incredible 25000+ game against Southampton. Robin Friday. Etc etc

Stunning memories. But memories they are.

This is my 35th consecutive year as a season ticket holder.

The game has changed. The match day experience has changed. Rather than a beer in the Victory or the Spread, I can buy a beer outside.. Or in the rendezvous. Or in the concourse.

I take my seat, and hear this thunderous pre match music.

In all honesty, I'll watch RFC till I die. I don't particularly like the 'new game', but that's the way it is.

Facilities... Madstad all day long. Memories and truly great passion...Elm Park.

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 18 Jan 2016 21:56

good post

(and I think we went to Primary school together. Part of the HNA Norcot clique, but you were actually in my class).

Stevie G

by Stevie G » 18 Jan 2016 22:51

Nostalgia - someone else's history with all the bad bits taken out.

No.

Barney
Hob Nob Regular

by Barney » 18 Jan 2016 23:32

Stevie G Nostalgia - someone else's history with all the bad bits taken out.

No.

The question was would you swap the Madstad with Elm park.

It's a hypothetical question, as Elm Park is a housing estate now.
For a number of the older generation, Elm Park has great memories. Yes, there were bad times...but there are tremendous memories.

A lot of current RFC fans never experienced Elm Park anyway !!

I'll reiterate, the Madstad has great facilities... But, it'll never have the atmosphere that was sometimes generated at Elm Park. Only those that witnessed it will appreciate it.

Times change, move on.

And Lux... spot on my friend.

poohs pure

by poohs pure » 18 Jan 2016 23:54

How about the Madejski stadium where Elm Park used to be? Get rid of the car park, we don't need one of those with all those lovely side streets to park in and it would shine like a beacon, drawing us to our spiritual home in the west.

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 19 Jan 2016 11:20

Mr.Swainey :lol: @ anyone who prefers the Madejski.

Elm Park was beers, windmilling and bounces - football in a nut shell.

I think the general consensus is the Madejski is a better stadium but Elm Park was a better location.

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 19 Jan 2016 11:31

Barney It's a hypothetical question, as Elm Park is a housing estate now.

It's a hypothetical question for a thousand and one reasons but thanks for this nonetheless, Barney.

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 19 Jan 2016 11:56

I would love to see the current Youth dealing with the likes of Stoke and Swansea steaming into the Southbank. Most of our lot ran away then, the current lot would probably emigrate.

FTR, I stood my ground.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 19 Jan 2016 12:22

^lol yeah^

Imagine turning up for your usual spot on the SB amongst a sea of blue and white, only to see unfamiliar faces.....and then the booming sound of "play up Pompey" bellowing all around you.

The Cap
Hob Nob Regular

by The Cap » 19 Jan 2016 16:53

WoodleyRoyal wrote:
It a was fab, proper match day experience. It was natural not forced the way it is now with rumblesticks, blaring music out the pa system so you can't hear what the person is saying next to you and no goal music. oh to do the walk along the oxford road again before the game - it was always fun.

You didn't need a season ticket, you could just pick and choose the games you were able to attend and not have to worry about being sat on your tod because all your mates now have no spare seats around them. All your mates would have their bit of the south bank, you knew where they were, you could just pitch up squeeze through and go and stand with them. You could sneak a couple of tinnies in smoke call the oppo fans oxf*rd as much as you wanted without the fear of some fleece wearing oxf*rd turning around and saying "can you mind your language there is a kid sat here" :| . After the game you could jump on an old red routemaster and by the time conductor had got round the bus to take the fares you were already off 8)

Good summary that Woodley. As for the Oxford Road.....yeah, always fun that one. Particularly when the Pompey, Villa and Wednesday crews pitched up.

Barney wrote:
Facilities... Madstad all day long. Memories and truly great passion...Elm Park.

In a nutshell, my feelings too.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 19 Jan 2016 22:44

I'm really glad I got to experience Elm Park and the South Bank, but the Mad Stad is better. Put in safe standing and I wouldn't even feel slightly shameful saying that.

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 19 Jan 2016 22:55

Which stadium sounded better on the radio Ian?

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 20 Jan 2016 16:22

WoodleyRoyal Which stadium sounded better on the radio Ian?

:lol:

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 21 Jan 2016 12:58

The Sum of the Parts Without the move to the MadStad there'd have been no Steve Coppell, no 106-point team and no Premier League.

So no.

Have a read of the below, you'll see floyd's suggesting the hypothetical scenario of rebuilding Elm Park and moving back there. He's not suggesting a historical rewrite.

floyd__streete Ok we’ve had our fun, two spells in the top flight and arguably none of that would be possible without having moved to the Madj. But imagining if we could rebuild EP brick-for-brick would you swap what we have now for what we had then?"

The Sum of the Parts
Location: "The Sum of the Parts - the evolution of the perfect team" - Publication April 9th 2016

by The Sum of the Parts » 21 Jan 2016 13:06

handbags_harris Have a read of the below, you'll see floyd's suggesting the hypothetical scenario of rebuilding Elm Park and moving back there. He's not suggesting a historical rewrite.

floyd__streete Ok we’ve had our fun, two spells in the top flight and arguably none of that would be possible without having moved to the Madj. But imagining if we could rebuild EP brick-for-brick would you swap what we have now for what we had then?"

I'm not reading all that!

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 21 Jan 2016 13:14

Stevie G Nostalgia - someone else's history with all the bad bits taken out.

No.

Ditto.

Life moves on.........................................

Nothing is forever...............................

All good things......................................