Green Park Match Day Parking

250 posts
Hampshire Royal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Green Park Match Day Parking

by Hampshire Royal » 24 Feb 2016 15:59

What will be the level of staff on Green Park entrance? Even if I show my staff id card for one of the companies in Green Park, will they ask for evidence that I'm actually working there on matchdays?

CrowthorneRoyal

by CrowthorneRoyal » 24 Feb 2016 16:18

Hampshire Royal What will be the level of staff on Green Park entrance? Even if I show my staff id card for one of the companies in Green Park, will they ask for evidence that I'm actually working there on matchdays?

Thats what i was just thinking.

One8Seven1*

by One8Seven1* » 24 Feb 2016 16:18

Hampshire Royal What will be the level of staff on Green Park entrance? Even if I show my staff id card for one of the companies in Green Park, will they ask for evidence that I'm actually working there on matchdays?

As long as you're not wearing colours, a staff pass should suffice.

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 24 Feb 2016 16:26

One8Seven1*

Even if you are, as an employee I'd have thought you've a right to park there.

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 24 Feb 2016 16:28

RoyalBlue I would have thought that £7 per car park space would seem a pretty good deal for most organisations that might have parking available on Saturdays and occasional weekday evenings.

Presumably most of these "organisations" are multi national companies who couldn't really give a flying stuff about the odd hundred bob here or there, if the decision maker is even aware the opportunity exists. There are also no doubt countless legal, insurance and security implications.

I can see it's frustrating for the motorist fan to drive past an empty car park but it's not as trivial a solution as you suggest.

Or to put another way - when making a decision to locate a few hundred staff in Green Park - with the cost that that involves, the opportunity to reclaim maybe 0.01% of it by subletting the car park 23 times a year won't come into it.

CrowthorneRoyal

by CrowthorneRoyal » 24 Feb 2016 16:31

Green
One8Seven1*

Exactly. Who's to say you arent going to the match and then doing a spot of O/T before you go home

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 24 Feb 2016 16:32

No - forget going into the office. Even if you're not doing overtime - it's simply no concern of the guy in the high viz jacket on the gate.

CrowthorneRoyal

by CrowthorneRoyal » 24 Feb 2016 16:33

Green No - forget going into the office. Even if you're not doing overtime - it's simply no concern of the guy in the high viz jacket on the gate.

True.

Hampshire Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Hampshire Royal » 24 Feb 2016 16:35

I spoke to the security guard in the office on Saturday, and he said that I can park there OK on Saturdays because nobody else does. I assume this would be the same for evening games. I even went so far as to say to my son that if he ever comes to a match without me, he can park there. He went last night from ealing, but he went by train.

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 24 Feb 2016 16:55

Hampshire Royal I even went so far as to say to my son that if he ever comes to a match without me, he can park there. He went last night from ealing, but he went by train.

Blimey, nepotism alive and well in the Hampshire Royal household.

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 24 Feb 2016 17:12

an idea for evening games, Winnersh Triangle park and ride, barely used after about 6pm, run some of the buses from there? Binfield is soon tohave a P&R , another opportunity? Mereoak as has already been said.
ANd the real answer Sunday fotball at The Madstad, as Winnersh for one isnt usent on a Sunday, oxf*rd tradition

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 24 Feb 2016 17:14

This has the potential to fcuk me up majorly as I travel in by car and have always parked at the HP car park - especially as I drive in with my kids. And can't get the train (without adding another hour on the journey)

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 24 Feb 2016 17:19

Green
RoyalBlue I would have thought that £7 per car park space would seem a pretty good deal for most organisations that might have parking available on Saturdays and occasional weekday evenings.

Presumably most of these "organisations" are multi national companies who couldn't really give a flying stuff about the odd hundred bob here or there, if the decision maker is even aware the opportunity exists. There are also no doubt countless legal, insurance and security implications.

I can see it's frustrating for the motorist fan to drive past an empty car park but it's not as trivial a solution as you suggest.

Or to put another way - when making a decision to locate a few hundred staff in Green Park - with the cost that that involves, the opportunity to reclaim maybe 0.01% of it by subletting the car park 23 times a year won't come into it.

I work for one such organisation and we would jump at that additional income 'every little helps'! Sadly it's an awfully long walk from our car park to the Mad Stad and would probably add 12 hours either side of the game! I accept that many may not be aware of the opportunity, depending on how proactive the club have been (a flyer or one letter is unlikely to get a response from many).

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 24 Feb 2016 20:49

Whether individual companies want to make next to no money letting some car park spaces out is irrelevant because they don't have the ability to do so.
The Green Park owners are the ones with the control and when it was owned by the Pru it was an absolute no. I know the club talked to them and I believe STAR may also have done so.
From what I understand the current owners may be more open to discussion, although the current enforcement suggests they aren't there yet !
If the owners were willing to allow tenants to sublet then the job of getting individual companies interested could begin but as has been pointed out there would be costs and inconvenience. I would think the most likely would be companies offering contract parking to season ticket holders rather than drive up match day parking. Much easier if you get the money up front from people you can trace in case there are problems. You just need a body to check passes then rather than people collecting money with the additional hassle that brings.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 25 Feb 2016 08:31

RoyalBlue
Worton Grange
Reading Football Club would like to confirm that the Worton Grange car park facility will not be available to supporters from the beginning of March 2016 – due to imminent redevelopment work which is set to commence on the site. The Worton Grange car parking facility will not be open to fans from Saturday 5th March onwards, and supporters who have been using that off-site car park will need to seek an alternative travel arrangement to get to the final six games of the season.
Read more at http://www.readingfc.co.uk/news/article ... 3tVBc26.99

Yippee! Start the problems off with the biggest attendance of the season! (assuming we don't get the Friday night slot) :(

Not sure Fulham are that much of a draw, surely?

One8Seven1*

by One8Seven1* » 25 Feb 2016 10:55

Green
One8Seven1*

I suppose that depends on your work allowing you to or not. If they're happy with it then print the email and wave it in their faces and drive on through.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 25 Feb 2016 13:51

Platypuss
RoyalBlue
Worton Grange
Reading Football Club would like to confirm that the Worton Grange car park facility will not be available to supporters from the beginning of March 2016 – due to imminent redevelopment work which is set to commence on the site. The Worton Grange car parking facility will not be open to fans from Saturday 5th March onwards, and supporters who have been using that off-site car park will need to seek an alternative travel arrangement to get to the final six games of the season.
Read more at http://www.readingfc.co.uk/news/article ... 3tVBc26.99

Yippee! Start the problems off with the biggest attendance of the season! (assuming we don't get the Friday night slot) :(

Not sure Fulham are that much of a draw, surely?

Mea Culpa, :oops: could have sworn at the time of the draw that the BBC and/or one of the papers said games were to be played starting weekend of 5th March. However, Fulham will generate a fair bit of vehicle traffic so we will probably get a preview of the nightmare to follow the following weekend.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 25 Feb 2016 14:09

missus is moving offices to the corner opposite HP car park and will be able to park there on match days.
doubt ill use it much, what with the lifts and bus services available, but its bound to come in handy every now and then

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 25 Feb 2016 14:42

One8Seven1*
Green
One8Seven1*

I suppose that depends on your work allowing you to or not. If they're happy with it then print the email and wave it in their faces and drive on through.

TBF I'm making the assumption you have 24 hour access to your office, which is pretty standard in my experience but admittedly I've never worked on Green Park.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 25 Feb 2016 18:21

RoyalBlue
Hendo I have used the park and ride from Mearoak every home game this season. Good service and very easy to get out onto the A33 to go either way after the game. I guess it wouldn't be so good if coming from the town end.

Used to park in the old HP car park but not done that all season.

Park and ride is fine for those who live locally and/or are able to get there early enough to add that extra leg to their journey. However, it is no good for those who are racing from work to try to get to an evening game or who already have lengthy car journeys to get to the vicinity of the stadium.

Understand the evening game situation, I work in Basingstoke so it isn't too bad for me as I just shoot along the A33 after work, easy.

I don't understand why park and ride is only fine for those who live locally and/or get there early enough. I have gotten to the park and ride @ 2 before and never been at the ground later than 2:30. The walk from the ground + time spent getting out of the HP Car Park is actually longer than getting the bus from stadium -> Mearoak.

I get everyone has different situations though.

250 posts