Should we drop Tom Hark now we're in the Prem?

124 posts
AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 13 Aug 2006 02:15

Skin
AthleticoSpizz
Skin
AthleticoSpizz
Skin
AthleticoSpizz ermmmmm just like before

before we were ermmmmmm famous and ermmmm successful....................and nothing much happened meantime

So what you're saying is Tom Hark is part of our success?
No just part of the fun whence the nylon net got rattled

Have you been to an away game when we've scored?
twice at Bury for starters :arrow: care to ellaborate.....justify yourself

I'll spell it out. Did you manage to celebrate enough despite there being no Tom Hark laid on for Reading fans?
yes

You are just a miserable twat

Tens of thousands all doing dying ants everytime that we score to a popular tune upsets you?

I suspect that your season was less enjoyable than mine last season.

rabidbee
Hob Nob Regular

by rabidbee » 13 Aug 2006 07:42

I wouldn't be bothered if we dropped Tom Hark. However, two things I like about it:

1. I love the way the entire stand* shakes when people are bouncing about to the song.

2. It was something that started spontaneously at an away game - my recollection is that we started doing it at the 5-2 win at Turf Moor - and the club picked up on it and tried to respond to us. It does now seem a little mechanical, but at least they were trying.

My suggestion might be for the club to wait a few more seconds. If there is a really strong reaction without artificial stimulants, let them hold off the Tom Hark; if the reaction is muted, then maybe we need a hand.

As for the away game analogy, I don't think it holds. Because of the circumstances, there is always a better atmosphere as part of an away crowd than a home crowd. It's why I prefer away games.

* I was in the north stand last season, and it certainly rocked in there; I have moved to the east this year, so I have no idea if the effect is the same.

Skin
Hob Nob Regular
Location: You are now about to witness the strength of street knowledge

by Skin » 13 Aug 2006 08:45

AthleticoSpizz
Skin
AthleticoSpizz
Skin
AthleticoSpizz
Skin
AthleticoSpizz ermmmmm just like before

before we were ermmmmmm famous and ermmmm successful....................and nothing much happened meantime

So what you're saying is Tom Hark is part of our success?
No just part of the fun whence the nylon net got rattled

Have you been to an away game when we've scored?
twice at Bury for starters :arrow: care to ellaborate.....justify yourself

I'll spell it out. Did you manage to celebrate enough despite there being no Tom Hark laid on for Reading fans?

You are just a miserable twat

And you simply 'a twat'.
I can trade insults all day but you really seem to have missed the point here, I'll wait for some grown ups to join in before continuing this thread.

shadesrwrf
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by shadesrwrf » 13 Aug 2006 09:12

The answer is a resounding yes from me. Tom Hark was ok in the early days but I think it's getting very stale now. As for Terry and June... it's a great little tune but I don't think it's suited to goal celebrations, but then I'm very much in the camp that believes we can do without any "help".

Having said all that, if we start knocking the goals in in the Premiership I'll probably be waving my arms around with the best of them!

ArfnipIsARoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by ArfnipIsARoyal » 13 Aug 2006 09:22

I think it needs to go. Its run its course I feel and agree with what has been said about goal celebrations dying down straight afterwards. Maybe play a song when we score but it doesn't have to be something we have to dance too. Maybe just something in the background which doesn't require all the arm movements. I don't have any suggestions for it, but maybe just some upbeat music which will raise the tempo of the celebrations

Farnborough Royal

by Farnborough Royal » 13 Aug 2006 10:01

ArfnipIsARoyal I think it needs to go. Its run its course I feel and agree with what has been said about goal celebrations dying down straight afterwards. Maybe play a song when we score but it doesn't have to be something we have to dance too. Maybe just something in the background which doesn't require all the arm movements. I don't have any suggestions for it, but maybe just some upbeat music which will raise the tempo of the celebrations

Amarillo! :wink:

I don't think we should have any music after goals.

Rich@Eaststand

by Rich@Eaststand » 13 Aug 2006 10:01

Yes - get rid of of it.

I've always hated it. A goal goes in, people start to celebrate and then stop in order to wave their arms up and down in time to a crappy tune.

Plastic football at it's worst.

Farnborough Royal

by Farnborough Royal » 13 Aug 2006 10:04

Rich@Eaststand Yes - get rid of of it.

I've always hated it. A goal goes in, people start to celebrate and then stop in order to wave their arms up and down in time to a crappy tune.

Well Said.

Adrian's Fool

by Adrian's Fool » 13 Aug 2006 10:15

Tom Hark must go. It was REALLY dull on the season review DVD watching it for the zillionth time after every goal.

I think we should bombard the "Back the Boys" website with emails to stop it.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 13 Aug 2006 10:18

if you're plastic and you know it, clap your hands.

shadesrwrf
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by shadesrwrf » 13 Aug 2006 10:18

I feel another petition coming on.

Legend

by Legend » 13 Aug 2006 10:25

PLEASE get rid of Tom Hark

It looks so embarrassing that we have to rely on a tannoy to generate some atmosphere, especcially as we'll be on TV every other week.

Jerry St Clair
Hob Nob Regular

by Jerry St Clair » 13 Aug 2006 10:27

Spot on, sir.

Legend

by Legend » 13 Aug 2006 10:35

Jerry St Clair

Spot on, sir.

Not quite spot on, there's no apostrophe in "its".

Skin
Hob Nob Regular
Location: You are now about to witness the strength of street knowledge

by Skin » 13 Aug 2006 10:37

shadesrwrf I feel another petition coming on.

We need to be telling this lot, although this site hasn't been updated for a while so is this still the case?

http://www.backtheboys.com/index.cfm

O'h and we can e-mail:

contact@backtheboys.com

Might be worth draughting an e-mail and anyone who wants to can send it and just put their name to it.

Row Z Royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: LOLandmarks come and go. There'll only ever be one "Clickety Clique"

Re: Should we drop Tom Hark now we're in the Prem?

by Row Z Royal » 13 Aug 2006 11:50

Skin I think it's terrible but I'll go with the majority and accept it if it's what everybody wants.

However I see it like this:

A. It always ends natuaral celebrations prematurely as everyone stops cheering and chanting when the 'music' eventually starts, dances for 10 seconds like cloned cheerleaders, before sitting down and going quiet again.

B. It sounds like we've got Max Clifford doing the PA.

C. We look plastic as fuck

Please refer to my location

do do doody do do do do do

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 13 Aug 2006 12:38

Oh God yes and Terry and June would be just as bad. I would rather have nothing but anything other than Tom Hark really. It's dated and been done to death and I'd gree with an earlier poster, seeing it on the dvd just reminded me just how shit it really is.

ruprecht

by ruprecht » 13 Aug 2006 16:11

I'll echo the sentiments that it must go, it's fu*king dreadful. We started doing it at Sheffield United away when we scored because we were actually taking the piss out of the home team for playing it when they scored. I don't think the 'back the boys' team quite understood the irony though.

earley_royals
Location: I am earley, super earley, i am earley, from Earley.

by earley_royals » 13 Aug 2006 16:21

I think it will get the piss taken out of this season as we will lose more games and concede more goals than in previous seasons.

I think it was good last year because no teams really took the piss out of it 'cos only Plymouth won down here.

Farnborough Royal

by Farnborough Royal » 13 Aug 2006 16:32

So if we're getting spanked 5-0 by Chelsea and we score in the last minute will Tom Hark still get played?

124 posts