Expanding the Mad Stat

135 posts
Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 08 Sep 2006 15:59

MartinRdg
Gordons Cumming I will be surprised if they expand the Mad Stad next season even if we stay up.

Unlikely no matter what the spin is.

There were sources in the club at the end of last season who said the East stand extension would be done if we stayed up this season.

I know, but it doesn't mean it will definately happen does it?

anR

by anR » 08 Sep 2006 16:02

Dirk Gently And don't forget the club's own rationale that ticket prices have to be as high as they are now because of the small capacity.

So an increase in capacity will allow more reasonable prices to be set - if only for the less attractive games - whilst stil increasing overall revenue.

This will help increase demand and allow the games to be more accessible to the old, young and less well off.

You mean to say that the prices for our programs will drop back to £2.50 if we get relegated, like Crystal Palace's didn't, and ticket prices would drop with increased capacity after expansion like Arsenal's haven't? :lol:

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

Re: Expanding the Mad Stat

by RoyalBlue » 08 Sep 2006 17:21

West Stand Man
Stranded As you say you accept that some people did not bother did not bother to get STs, a lot won't bother trying to get match tickets for similar reasons.

Not quite sure what you mean by that? The ST sales reached maximum availability (the club always said they'd only sell 18k STs I think), and there was, I vaguely recall, still a slight waiting list when sales closed.

I think what might have been meant was that some previously longstanding (forget the jokes!) season ticket holders didn't renew this season because of the massive price increases. Sure, they were eventually replaced by others (although I think they had to work well down the Royalty points list before that happened) but they might well be the glory hunters who will not renew in future seasons if the team don't do well this season.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 09 Sep 2006 00:57

Gordons Cumming SWLR

Spot on.

Afraid to say. That is the reality............

:P

Now that this Monday night televised fixture has sold out, it's hard to imagine any of the rest of our home games not going the same way.

In which case, why on earth would we not expand the Mad Stad should we avoid relegation provided that funds are available to carry out the work required :?

As ever, there's far too much wishful thinking on these pages from the doom and gloom merchants.

Some clearly need to face one or two real facts.

If you don't like the prices, don't buy a ticket.................others will happily take your place....................... coffee up & the smell wake.
Last edited by Woodcote Royal on 09 Sep 2006 01:02, edited 1 time in total.

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 09 Sep 2006 01:01

Silly thread. Both games been a sell out, but we can't sell every seat in the ground for "safety reasons". If our ground was 30,000 it would look like there was 29,000 in there. You can't sell every seat in the ground. We'd have no problem getting 30K a week IMO, give the away fans back the entire away end and it would be nearly full every week.

Rawlie19
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Rawlie19 » 09 Sep 2006 06:54

FiNeRaIn Silly thread. Both games been a sell out, but we can't sell every seat in the ground for "safety reasons". If our ground was 30,000 it would look like there was 29,000 in there. You can't sell every seat in the ground. We'd have no problem getting 30K a week IMO, give the away fans back the entire away end and it would be nearly full every week.

If you gave the away fans the entire end then there will be games when we WON'T sell out. Can you see Wigan filling that whole end? And Charlton? And Fulham? I doubt it.

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 09 Sep 2006 07:23

you missed blackburn and bolton

alad
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: The footballing equivalent of a HarLOLem GLOLobetrotter..

by alad » 09 Sep 2006 12:05

The big clubs would sell out 5,000 easy, and it would be worth doing as they'd be sell outs against at least 8 clubs even if the capacity was 40,000 and crowds of over 35,000 against a fair few more.

If the ground was taken to 40,000, and season tickets were offered at a decent rate then the club would sell 25-30,000 easily IMO.

TFF
Hob Nob Addict

by TFF » 09 Sep 2006 12:14

Assuming we stay up - Any extension to the east or north stands would allow the whole of the south to go to the away team. There are several sides that could fill the away end with no difficulty.

Might not sell out every week but if I were on the board I'd be pushing to extend at least one stand.

Rawlie19
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Rawlie19 » 09 Sep 2006 12:20

alad The big clubs would sell out 5,000 easy, and it would be worth doing as they'd be sell outs against at least 8 clubs even if the capacity was 40,000 and crowds of over 35,000 against a fair few more.

If the ground was taken to 40,000, and season tickets were offered at a decent rate then the club would sell 25-30,000 easily IMO.

This is the key comment here. Season tickets will not come down in price if we stay up next season, expansion or not. And £550 for a season ticket I'm afraid is over priced for Reading FC.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 09 Sep 2006 12:41

Woodcote Royal
Gordons Cumming SWLR

Spot on.

Afraid to say. That is the reality............

:P

Now that this Monday night televised fixture has sold out, it's hard to imagine any of the rest of our home games not going the same way.

Is it that hard to imagine? Attendances tend to be influenced by three factors I would have thought: Price, attractiveness of opposition and, probably most importantly, how well the team are doing. So fine if we have a reasonable season, but if we are bumping along the bottom of the table I suspect there will be occasions when the games do not sell out.

readingfc_4_life_and_beyo

by readingfc_4_life_and_beyo » 09 Sep 2006 14:17

cheeryoleary When the railway station is built, will it be called the Mad Stat?

Mad station. :lol: Yes.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 09 Sep 2006 14:54

Rawlie19
alad The big clubs would sell out 5,000 easy, and it would be worth doing as they'd be sell outs against at least 8 clubs even if the capacity was 40,000 and crowds of over 35,000 against a fair few more.

This is the key comment here. Season tickets will not come down in price if we stay up next season, expansion or not. And £550 for a season ticket I'm afraid is over priced for Reading FC.

How can season tickets be over priced when 1000 fans had their applications returned unfulfilled?

With 90% of home seats now in the hands of STH's (and just a few thousand remaining for any other locals who might fancy taking in a Premiership match or 3 :? ) it is blindingly obvious that the club could have charged more than they have done for seats in such short supply.

If we avoid relegation it is clear as night following day that significant scope exists for expansion with no aderse affect on demand or pricing.

Rawlie19
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Rawlie19 » 09 Sep 2006 16:39

Just because people are stupid enough to buy them (myself included) doesn't mean they are value for money. :roll:

Petrol is overpriced, people still buy it. Railtravel is overpriced, people still use the trains.

Chicken Balti Pie
Location: Sleep pattern fcuked by watchin the English batsmen struggle....

by Chicken Balti Pie » 09 Sep 2006 18:17

Expand the East Stand allowing the away end to go back to 4,200 or whatever.

When the big teams Man United, Chelsea, Tottenham, Arsenal and Liverpool (oh and Brighton / Southmpton) visit we can sell out the away end and the new East Stand second tier due to the glamour game factor !

And who is to say Watford would not want 4k tickets ? Or Sheff United ?

Truth is I am sure we could average 3,500 ish if the away end was 4k.

Another point is the larger the crowds the less you charge (see Man U ticket prices). Not that would happen with our Boyd Butler in charge !!!!

If we stay up we should expand the stadium.

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 09 Sep 2006 19:03

Woodcote Royal
Rawlie19

How can season tickets be over priced when 1000 fans had their applications returned unfulfilled?

With 90% of home seats now in the hands of STH's (and just a few thousand remaining for any other locals who might fancy taking in a Premiership match or 3 :? ) it is blindingly obvious that the club could have charged more than they have done for seats in such short supply.

If we avoid relegation it is clear as night following day that significant scope exists for expansion with no aderse affect on demand or pricing.

Of course it can be overpriced, despite the club selling them all.

A car at £230k is overpriced, just because some people will pay does not mean it is not overpriced.

RFC have overpriced their tickets, next renewal time will be a lot more interesting than this one, If I was the club I would be offering a discount on this seasons price if it looks likely that we are going to be safe about feb time.

I would also be loking at upping the price on the top seats in the ground, despite the idea that there are no bad views if the club are to maximise income then some blocks should be more expensive.

rabidbee
Hob Nob Regular

by rabidbee » 09 Sep 2006 19:19

The 17 Bus
Woodcote Royal How can season tickets be over priced when 1000 fans had their applications returned unfulfilled?

<snip>

A car at £230k is overpriced, just because some people will pay does not mean it is not overpriced.

I believe that the expression here is that the market sets the price; if demand outstrips supply, then the item on sale is clearly not over-priced.

If demand drops next season - for whatever reason - then the price will have to drop to reflect that.

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 09 Sep 2006 19:27

rabidbee
The 17 Bus
Woodcote Royal How can season tickets be over priced when 1000 fans had their applications returned unfulfilled?

<snip>

I believe that the expression here is that the market sets the price; if demand outstrips supply, then the item on sale is clearly not over-priced.

If demand drops next season - for whatever reason - then the price will have to drop to reflect that.

Except that the club cannot just drop the price if it goes wrong hence my view that there should be a discount for early renewal, this could well be built into this seasons prices as well.

I would think that most would renew at £50 less than this season in Feb to book for the following season.

SWLR
Hob Nob Regular

by SWLR » 09 Sep 2006 21:15

SpaceCruiser No problem , just some ignorant poster spewing his claptrap.

Problem - didn't say there was one, just current evidence does not support expansion, based on my commercial experience.

Ignorant - against any measure you may select, I'm certain that a jury of 12 will vote you the more ignorant. You're out of your league, Sonny!

Claptrap - maybe, but that's the point of these sites. Claptrap is common place as you have no doubt demonstrated on around 29,000+ occasions.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 10 Sep 2006 02:05

Rawlie19 Just because people are stupid enough to buy them (myself included) doesn't mean they are value for money. :roll:

We have no shortage of stupid people in this country who are responsible for raisng the value of all manner of dreadful cr@p but this still amounts to supply and demand, which is what sets the price of most of what we buy.

On the other hand, items such as petrol have artificially inflated prices thanks to another kind of idiot................the type who are arrogant enough to believe that those they've ripped off for the last 9 years will vote for them in the next election.

135 posts