New Kit - Rate the kit POLL ADDED

745 posts

What do you think of the new kit, and most notably, no traditional white shorts and socks again?

I like the home kit
47%
I don't like the home kit
32%
I like the home shirt, but I dislike the non traditional blue shorts and blue socks
16%
I don't like the home shirt, but I do like the non traditional blue shorts and socks
5%

Total votes: 173
Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

Re: New kit next season, or just a Sale?

by Sun Tzu » 11 Apr 2009 20:08

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Nobody who buys a shirt is trying to look like a member of the team. It's just about "wearing your colours" as a way of supporting the team. Whether it makes a slightest bit of difference to a performance is open to debate, but there is no doubt that a set of fans in colours is far more impressive than one that's not (and probably more inspiring that hearing songs about stabbing Swindon fans as well). Fans, even the most hardcore supporters around the world, wear club shirts. It's only in England that some fans seem to have a hang up about it.

I assume you are backing my point ?

Whether you wear the 06-07 or the 09-10 shirt you are 'wearing the colours'. In a mass of Newcastle fans I can see loads of black and white stripes but I have no idea if they are all 100% up to the minute in the latest incarnation of the shirt.

So why the fuss about whether there is a new shirt or not if you already have one ?

loyalroyal

Re: New Kit Again Next Season - R£ADING FC

by loyalroyal » 11 Apr 2009 21:19

I will buy the new shirt. And the full kit. I look da bomb cruising round lower early in my ford orion wearing my full kit including socks and shin pads.

It just rocks.

Rex
Hob Nob Addict

by Rex » 11 Apr 2009 21:51

You sound nice - what are you wearing. :D

SLAMMED
Hob Nob Addict

by SLAMMED » 12 Apr 2009 01:54

Th£ r£ason is th£ bit of gold on th£ shirt marking 10 y£ars at th£ mad stad. Obviously n£xt s£ason will b£ our 11th s£ason, so th£ gold wont b£ appropriat£.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 12 Apr 2009 07:30

SLAMMED Th£ r£ason is th£ bit of gold on th£ shirt marking 10 y£ars at th£ mad stad. Obviously n£xt s£ason will b£ our 11th s£ason, so th£ gold wont b£ appropriat£.

I s££ what you'v£ don£ th£r£

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 15 Apr 2009 08:59

Sun Tzu
RoyalBlue Presumably most people buy them because they are a replica i.e. they want to wear the same shirt as the players. Why does that mean they would want to keep shelling out hard earned cash every year because their 'replica' shirt is no longer the same as the players wear? Don't you think the normal preference would be to keep their £35+ in their pocket and still be wearing the same shirt as the players?

I think you misuse the word 'normal' in this context....

I don;t think there is anything too 'normal' in an obsession to dress identically to a bunch of footballers when that extends to having to ditch a reasonably expensive but perfectly functional shirt in order to wear one with some subtle changes.

'Normal' would be being able to recognise that a club shirt is a club shirt and there is absolutely no 'need' to wear an exact replica when it is obvious to everyone that the wearer is not a team member anyway !

I assume you don;t have the same attitude in the rest of your consumer behaviour - I want to eat at my favourite restaurant but don;t want to fork out for it, I want to wear a brand of sunglasses but won't pay extra for the designer label....

Sadly kids don't see it the same way. I am sure many a parent will be constantly nagged for the new shirt.

sheshnu

by sheshnu » 15 Apr 2009 09:38

Alan Partridge Sadly kids don't see it the same way. I am sure many a parent will be constantly nagged for the new shirt.

They'll get told "no" then, won't they? Or they'll get it for a Christmas present. Where's the problem?

Complaining for the sake of complaining.

SLAMMED
Hob Nob Addict

by SLAMMED » 15 Apr 2009 17:57

Barry the bird boggler
SLAMMED Th£ r£ason is th£ bit of gold on th£ shirt marking 10 y£ars at th£ mad stad. Obviously n£xt s£ason will b£ our 11th s£ason, so th£ gold wont b£ appropriat£.

I s££ what you'v£ don£ th£r£

Cl£v£r isn't it.

Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

by Southbank Old Boy » 15 Apr 2009 20:58

Dirk Gently
Deathy
Dirk Gently New kit next season.

Can STAR ask the club to justify why this kit wont last two seasons?

Do they have to justify it? It will last for as long as you decide to wear it.

Wasnt there a previous commitment from the club that shirts would last two seasons where possible. I had it in my mind that this was something that STAR had asked for

Most fans who buy the shirt want to stay up to date and wear the latest shirt, this is just a way of fleecing a few more quid out of fans

Personally I dont wear football shirts but I think anyone who does gets great value out of them over one season let alone two BUT I thought it was something the club had committed to and something they did to help their fans with the cost of supporting the team

I bet a lot of the shirt wearing STAR members will be a little miffed and pissed off at yet another shirt change and so surely STAR should be looking to put pressure on the club on this kind of thing

Y21_Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Y21_Royal » 16 Apr 2009 15:40

Wasn't part of the point to this season's shirt that we have the gold trimming to celebrate 10 years at the Mad Stad? If that is the case then it stands to reason that we change.

Anyway, I don't understand why people get so het up about this. As Dirk says, if you don't want it, don't buy it. We are nowhere near the worst culprits so why complain? We could be Man Utd who have different shirts for each competition and about 6 away strips

Y21_Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Y21_Royal » 16 Apr 2009 16:01

The MVP Why do we need to get a new away kit? As we're the from the royal county the queen said we can wear our home kit even when we are away.

FECK OFF WITH AN AWAY KIT!!

:roll:

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 16 Apr 2009 16:30

Y21_Royal Wasn't part of the point to this season's shirt that we have the gold trimming to celebrate 10 years at the Mad Stad? If that is the case then it stands to reason that we change.

Anyway, I don't understand why people get so het up about this. As Dirk says, if you don't want it, don't buy it. We are nowhere near the worst culprits so why complain? We could be Man Utd who have different shirts for each competition and about 6 away strips

The reason people get het up is because there is a certain pressure to get the latest kit.

The kids especially want to have the most recent kit, and this is the same for many adults too. If it wasn't a desirable product the club wouldn't sell it and wouldn't look to replace it so often and make such a big deal about lauching it.

Y21_Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Y21_Royal » 16 Apr 2009 16:50

Hoop Blah
Y21_Royal Wasn't part of the point to this season's shirt that we have the gold trimming to celebrate 10 years at the Mad Stad? If that is the case then it stands to reason that we change.

The reason people get het up is because there is a certain pressure to get the latest kit.

The kids especially want to have the most recent kit, and this is the same for many adults too. If it wasn't a desirable product the club wouldn't sell it and wouldn't look to replace it so often and make such a big deal about lauching it.

I take your point about pressure from kids wanting the latest shirt but tbh its part and parcel of football these days. If you introduce your kids into following Reading (or any other team) you've got to accept that things like tickets and shirts, how ever much of a rip off, come as part of the package.

Just because kids are demanding the new kit doesn't mean they should get it. Same goes for adults. Just because there is a new kit doesn't automatically mean that you haveto buy it.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 16 Apr 2009 17:18

It doesn't have to be part of football these days though does it?

It's only because the clubs are looking for every penny they can and fans let them get away with it that it's crept in.

It's exploiting the fans to an extent and I think it's a bit off to change quite so regularily, although as the last shirt I bought had Hat Painting on the front it doesn't make that much difference to me!

SLAMMED
Hob Nob Addict

by SLAMMED » 16 Apr 2009 18:19

Thats what i said.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 16 Apr 2009 19:51

And you fell for that one, despite Puma producing the same style gold trimmings for at least one other league club? :shock: :lol:

Wonder what the reason for a special one off/one season design will be next season!

At least they've already got their excuse for customary late availability - 'we weren't sure which division/league we would be in and couldn't start on the design until we were.'

TFF
Hob Nob Addict

by TFF » 16 Apr 2009 21:40

Quit yer bitchin.

It's going to have hoops all the way round - you'll all be queueing up for one!

Y21_Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Y21_Royal » 17 Apr 2009 11:30

SLAMMED

Thats what i said.

My bad, I didn't see your post

Harry Carry

by Harry Carry » 17 Apr 2009 14:59

This new kit will have something 'unique' on it so the club have more excuses to bring out another kit the following season.

Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

by Southbank Old Boy » 17 Apr 2009 22:03

Southbank Old Boy
Dirk Gently Do they have to justify it? It will last for as long as you decide to wear it.

Wasnt there a previous commitment from the club that shirts would last two seasons where possible. I had it in my mind that this was something that STAR had asked for

Most fans who buy the shirt want to stay up to date and wear the latest shirt, this is just a way of fleecing a few more quid out of fans

Personally I dont wear football shirts but I think anyone who does gets great value out of them over one season let alone two BUT I thought it was something the club had committed to and something they did to help their fans with the cost of supporting the team

I bet a lot of the shirt wearing STAR members will be a little miffed and pissed off at yet another shirt change and so surely STAR should be looking to put pressure on the club on this kind of thing

Not the case then Dirk?

745 posts