Steward abuse and standing

231 posts
West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 02 Mar 2007 13:59

Royal Lady I presume the laws have changed since the Elm Park days then, as I distinctly remember being shoulder to shoulder a few times on the South Bank!

Never!! The rules changed since Elm Park - that's unbelievable!

Harps stay sharp

by Harps stay sharp » 02 Mar 2007 14:59

It's laughable.

Wycombe had a safe standing day a couple of years back. IRRC they had to reduce the capacity of the stand for the match and tickets had to bought in advance. There were enough tickets for each person to have their allocated space per person and you had to be over a certain height as well.

Forget shoulder to shoulder!

Harps stay sharp

by Harps stay sharp » 19 Mar 2007 09:16

Well it appears the RFC stewards did their job in getting the Pompey fans to sit down on Saturday. So it doesn't seem they treat away fans any different to home fans....does it?

Sharpy
Hob Nob Regular

by Sharpy » 19 Mar 2007 11:36

Harps stay sharp Well it appears the RFC stewards did their job in getting the Pompey fans to sit down on Saturday. So it doesn't seem they treat away fans any different to home fans....does it?

only cos they chose to sit....i didnt see tango's going up and down the rows telling people to sit....the few hardcore were stood up the top

Skin
Hob Nob Regular
Location: You are now about to witness the strength of street knowledge

by Skin » 19 Mar 2007 12:09

They didn't hassle them and they didn't hassle us. Fine by me.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 19 Mar 2007 13:44

Sharpy
Harps stay sharp Well it appears the RFC stewards did their job in getting the Pompey fans to sit down on Saturday. So it doesn't seem they treat away fans any different to home fans....does it?

only cos they chose to sit....i didnt see tango's going up and down the rows telling people to sit....the few hardcore were stood up the top

Unlike some previous visitors, the Pompey faithful were very well behaved and seemed happy to use the seats they had paid for. I hardly think the stewards can claim credit for that!

I suspect that had the Pompey fans' behaviour been worthy of the massive (compared to other fixtures) police presence at the game, we would once again have seen dual standards applied to the issue of standing.

Behindu
Hob Nob Regular

by Behindu » 19 Mar 2007 14:00

RoyalBlue I'm not sure what makes you think the Pompey fans behaved !

Plenty were prevented from entering the ground and a fair few were ejected.

They caused trouble in town.

What you see from the comfort of your seat usually bears no resemblance to what actually happens although I guess not having much first hand knowledge of things is never a reason for not voicing an opinion !

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 19 Mar 2007 14:19

Behindu RoyalBlue I'm not sure what makes you think the Pompey fans behaved !

Plenty were prevented from entering the ground and a fair few were ejected.

They caused trouble in town.

What you see from the comfort of your seat usually bears no resemblance to what actually happens although I guess not having much first hand knowledge of things is never a reason for not voicing an opinion !

If you have so much first hand knowledge, perhaps you are privy to the information that Mr Booth and co refuse to provide even to STAR. If so, you're not really in a great position to criticise those who can only voice an opinion on what they see because their club aren't prepared to be open with supporters, preferring to opt for the mushroom treatment.

What I saw from the comfort of my seat was that the Pompey fans were far better behaved than the likes of the visitors from ManU, if only because the vast majority complied with the ground regulations and remained seated for the vast majority of the game.

Behindu
Hob Nob Regular

by Behindu » 19 Mar 2007 14:33

RB, there were ejections and knock backs on Saturday. How I know is irrelevant but it is rather amusing to see people on here who quite clearly have no idea making some of the statements that they do.

Pompey sat and Man Utd stood but in terms of wider behaviour I would suggest Pompey were more trouble than Man Utd.

If you were informed (personally I assume) of the exact numbers of away fans ejected would it make any difference to you ? You have an opinion which seems pretty set and I' rather suspect you would be totally sceptical about any information published and I can see why the club chsoe to not issue reports on operational matters to all and sundry.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 19 Mar 2007 15:01

I think that the fact that Pompey sold out their allocation yet there were clearly a large number of empty seats adds weight to the point that some Pompey fans were either ejected or barred entry in the first place.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 19 Mar 2007 15:04

I saw a couple of Pompey fans who were clearly p*ssed out of their brains being denied entry.

231 posts