A bit worrying

1418 posts
Behindu
Hob Nob Regular

by Behindu » 16 Aug 2007 14:41

royal tee This is fun.

Please carry on as it's always a good laugh watching a Tory make a prat of themselves.

To be fair I don;t think political affiliation has much to do with it, we can't extrapolate from the Schard Family thinking on this to how Boy Dave et al might manage the economy and some point in the future.

Or can we ?????? :shock:

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 16 Aug 2007 14:42

Skyline It's hardly a discussion though, is it? You and RL are just posting up opinions about how the demand has gone, with bog all data to back it up, and everyone else is pointing out to you all the holes in your straw man.

I still haven't had any response to my point that if we've sold fewer season tickets this year than last, and yet yesterday's attendance was higher than the attendance for the equivalent fixture last year, meaning we must have sold more tickets to non-ST holders, how does that indicate that demand has dropped?

Maybe the reason the 'casuals' tickets took longer to sell out this time was because there were more of them?

Last season: All available season tickets sold long before the first game
This season: All available season tickets not sold

Last season: Full allocation for Man Utd away sold out at a high points limit
This season: 500+ tickets left unsold

Last Season: Chelsea home tickets all sold out weeks before the game
This season : Tickets still available two days before the game

Last Season: Everton home tickets sold out long before the game
This Season : As of two days before the game tickets are still available

No evidence at all really is there?

Behindu
Hob Nob Regular

by Behindu » 16 Aug 2007 14:45

Schards#2

Surely point 1 is just wrong - all available ST did sell out

Point 2 is irrelevant to whether expanding our ground is worthwhile, and doesn't factor in the difference in time of year, time of day, day of week and television status of the two games

Point 3 and 4 lack factual content - do you actually know when the respective games sold out last season or are you twisting things to support your 'point' again ?
Last edited by Behindu on 16 Aug 2007 14:48, edited 1 time in total.

sheshnu

by sheshnu » 16 Aug 2007 14:46

What does Schards stand to lose by Reading FC expanding their stadium? He seems dead set against it for no reason I can see.

Does Schards not agree that for some games Reading (and whoever their opponents are) can sell more than 24,000 tickets?

Why is Schards so aggressive towards people who have different opinions from his own?

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 16 Aug 2007 14:46

Schards#2
Skyline It's hardly a discussion though, is it? You and RL are just posting up opinions about how the demand has gone, with bog all data to back it up, and everyone else is pointing out to you all the holes in your straw man.

I still haven't had any response to my point that if we've sold fewer season tickets this year than last, and yet yesterday's attendance was higher than the attendance for the equivalent fixture last year, meaning we must have sold more tickets to non-ST holders, how does that indicate that demand has dropped?

Maybe the reason the 'casuals' tickets took longer to sell out this time was because there were more of them?

No

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 16 Aug 2007 14:53

Behindu
Schards#2

Point 2 is irrelevant to whether expanding our ground is worthwhile

Point 3 and 4 lack factual content - do you actually know when the respective games sold out last season or are you twisting things to support your 'point' again ?

Point 1 - unless they sold out yesterday, that's wrong

Point 2 - goes to demonstrate the falling demand. Skyline suggest there was no evidence of any fall in demand

Point 3 & 4 - Yes, as I was trying to get tickets for friends to both matches.

Whether the stadium should be expanded or not is not a decision that should be made on the basis of the evidence of a few games. I'm sure the club will see how the season progresses and make their decision in due course.

But I simply will not accept the premise that there is no evidence that the demand for tickets has fallen. If you, Woodcote, Hoop Blah et al want to keep arguing that the earth is flat and that if something takes a day to sell out it is in no more demand than if it takes a month to sell out, feel free. I'll keep telling you you're just plain wrong.

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 16 Aug 2007 14:54

sheshnu What does Schards stand to lose by Reading FC expanding their stadium? He seems dead set against it for no reason I can see.

Does Schards not agree that for some games Reading (and whoever their opponents are) can sell more than 24,000 tickets?

Why is Schards so aggressive towards people who have different opinions from his own?

Read the thread

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 16 Aug 2007 14:58

Schards#2
Behindu
Schards#2

Point 2 is irrelevant to whether expanding our ground is worthwhile

Point 1 - unless they sold out yesterday, that's wrong

Point 2 - goes to demonstrate the falling demand. Skyline suggest there was no evidence of any fall in demand

Point 3 & 4 - Yes, as I was trying to get tickets for friends to both matches.

Whether the stadium should be expanded or not is not a decision that should be made on the basis of the evidence of a few games. I'm sure the club will see how the season progresses and make their decision in due course.

But I simply will not accept the premise that there is no evidence that the demand for tickets has fallen. If you, Woodcote, Hoop Blah et al want to keep arguing that the earth is flat and that if something takes a day to sell out it is in no more demand than if it takes a month to sell out, feel free. I'll keep telling you you're just plain wrong.

Re Season Tickets, link to official site story announcing total sell out of available STs (over 18000)

http://www.readingfc.premiumtv.co.uk/pa ... 53,00.html

sheshnu

by sheshnu » 16 Aug 2007 14:59

Schards#2
sheshnu What does Schards stand to lose by Reading FC expanding their stadium? He seems dead set against it for no reason I can see.

Read the thread

I've read all of it, but I can't see why you are so against expansion and I thought since it has now descended into bickering, now would be a pertinent time to ask.

You agree that for some games, more than 24,000 seats will be sold.

I can't see any reason for you outward hostility towards other posters (Woodcote Royal excepted! :wink: )

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 16 Aug 2007 15:09

sheshnu
Schards#2

Read the thread

I've read all of it, but I can't see why you are so against expansion and I thought since it has now descended into bickering, now would be a pertinent time to ask.

You agree that for some games, more than 24,000 seats will be sold.

I can't see any reason for you outward hostility towards other posters (Woodcote Royal excepted! :wink: )

I'm not against the expansion provided there is a demand for it.

It worries me that the decision will be made on the basis of a high water mark for Reading attendances and we will be left with a half full stadium devoid of atmosphere once the novelty of the prem wears off or, worse, we are relegated. If we have sell outs every week with thousands who wanted to go unable to then i'd be happy with the extension.

That opinion has led to a tirade of insults particularly from one particular twat and the debate has moved to whether there is any evidence of a reduction in demand for tickets. It's pretty obvious that there is but others choose to deny this, however, as i've said several times, it's very early days so lets see how the season progresses.

Is that so unreasonable? Apparently, yes.

weybridgewanderer
Hob Nob Regular

by weybridgewanderer » 16 Aug 2007 15:17

would demand increase if there was "more flexibility" in ticket prices that stadium expansion may allow?

Behindu
Hob Nob Regular

by Behindu » 16 Aug 2007 15:21

Schards#2 Point 1 - unless they sold out yesterday, that's wrong.

Do you accept you are wrong on this ?

Schards#2 Point 2 - goes to demonstrate the falling demand. Skyline suggest there was no evidence of any fall in demand .

Classic case of not even comparing apples with pears - you are trying to compare apples with washing machines and failing to recognise the extreme weakness inherent

Schards#2 Point 3 & 4 - Yes, as I was trying to get tickets for friends to both matches..

I would be very surprised if Everton in particular sold out 'weeks' before. It would help if you had evidence, I can;t quote anything one way or the other but don't recall that game (pre Xmas ?) selling out especially fast,

Schards#2 But I simply will not accept the premise that there is no evidence that the demand for tickets has fallen. If you, Woodcote, Hoop Blah et al want to keep arguing that the earth is flat and that if something takes a day to sell out it is in no more demand than if it takes a month to sell out, feel free. I'll keep telling you you're just plain wrong.

Sadly it's you who are wrong.
You definition of 'demand' is wrong and you totally fail to either read, understand or accept points other people have made. You need to move away from inventing hypotheitcal examples constructed to support your predetermined stance and look at the real world.

Bear in mind the actual issue is not whether there are a few hundred people not buying tickets but whether expansion is justified, your 'facts' do nothing to show that expansion is not justified because you have delved off into a side show and ignored all the other points made that debunk your line of thinking.

Behindu
Hob Nob Regular

by Behindu » 16 Aug 2007 15:23

Schards#2 That opinion has led to a tirade of insults particularly from one particular twat .

Don't be so hard on yourself, we can see you are upset and will overlook the abusive content :wink:

Skyline

by Skyline » 16 Aug 2007 15:24

Schards#2 Point 1 - unless they sold out yesterday, that's wrong

I don't need to answer this, as someone else has already posted the link to the article on the official site that shows you are wrong.

Schards#2 Point 2 - goes to demonstrate the falling demand. Skyline suggest there was no evidence of any fall in demand

But it doesn't, does it? Demand for home games and demand for away games is two completely different things. A lot of people would have gone to the game last year because it was their first chance to go to see Reading play Man Utd at Old Trafford. For those people this was not a consideration this year, especially as it was on TV at 4pm on the Sunday.

Schards#2 Point 3 & 4 - Yes, as I was trying to get tickets for friends to both matches.

But you cannot take these as good data points, for reasons that have been explained to you on several occasions. Neither game was in the middle of the prime holiday season. It's not just season ticket holders that go on holiday during the first two or three weeks of the season, a lot of potential 'casuals' also do so.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 16 Aug 2007 15:28

For what it's worth Schards, I actually agree with your feelings on demand for all games falling from last season to a lesser level for this and the next couple of seasons, if all other things stay equal that is.

However, I don't agree with some of your statements trying to prove your point though, or the fact that the "falling demand" should stop the expansion as currently planned.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 16 Aug 2007 15:31

I posted 2 pages ago that all season tickets had sold out and still Schards says they haven't.

Why do some people just keep digging even when they have been shown to be conclusively wrong, and this is someone who offers financial advice.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 16 Aug 2007 15:32

Wycombe Royal I posted 2 pages ago that all season tickets had sold out and still Schards says they haven't.

Why do some people just keep digging even when they have been shown to be conclusively wrong, and this is someone who offers financial advice.
What the hell has offering financial advice got to do with anything??? That could be read as a slur on his good name within his field of business and has NOTHING to do with his arguments on here.

Behindu
Hob Nob Regular

by Behindu » 16 Aug 2007 15:32

Hoop Blah For what it's worth Schards, I actually agree with your feelings on demand for all games falling from last season to a lesser level for this and the next couple of seasons, if all other things stay equal that is.

However, I don't agree with some of your statements trying to prove your point though, or the fact that the "falling demand" should stop the expansion as currently planned.

I'd buy into that !
If we sell out every home seat for every home game (Wigan, Fulham, Boro) I'd be very surprised. I do think we'll have very healthy crowds for them all unless we are really struggling on the pitch.

As I've said I think the 'falling demand' arguement is a red herring given that the numbers overall would be pretty tiny and the wider argument for expansion more than outweighs the fact that we may have a couple of thousand spare seats for Wigan. I believe that if we had a 30k stadium this season our average gate would comfortably exceed 24k whereas I would guess Schards would say it would be lower than that.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 16 Aug 2007 15:35

Royal Lady
Wycombe Royal I posted 2 pages ago that all season tickets had sold out and still Schards says they haven't.

What the hell has offering financial advice got to do with anything??? That could be read as a slur on his good name within his field of business and has NOTHING to do with his arguments on here.

oooohhhhhh.....

Calm down dear its only a discussion forum.

Unless he goes by the name of Schards in his business environment I don't see how it could be a slur on his good name within his field of business.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 16 Aug 2007 15:36

Wycombe Royal
Royal Lady

oooohhhhhh.....

Calm down dear its only a discussion forum.

Unless he goes by the name of Schards in his business environment I don't see how it could be a slur on his good name within his field of business.
It might make people think twice before asking his advice in future - and there are plenty on here who know his real name. And do not patronise me please. My comment, unlike yours, was fair to make.

1418 posts