New policy in Y26

297 posts
66DD

Re: New policy in Y26

by 66DD » 12 Dec 2008 16:06

Royalshow
1982Royal I sit in Y26, and if people who sit in Y26 went to the game on Tuesday night(Blackpool) and didn't hear the racist abuse aimed at the referee, who I agree wasn't the best at refereeing, need to get their ears checked...Also behind me a group of blokes in their mid 40's calling one of the black stewards a monkey and a n****r.

And before you say 'Well report it to the club'. I have done.

Tbf if these sort of things are going on then the club are certainly right to take action.That last bit is completely unexceptable.

I disagree entirely. Reporting it is the responsible action. Doing nothing is completely unacceptable.

working class hero

by working class hero » 12 Dec 2008 16:41

boycey
working class hero Having sat all round the stadium this season I think it is fair to say that Y26 [and some in Y25] behave like stereotypical racist, bigoted, thick arseholes. The idea that they are indulging in 'banter' is frankly a nonsense. And when their cage is rattled they try to hide behind STAR - who have it seems tried to argue their case. STAR is then abused when the club refuse to change their [pretty reasonable] policy.... What a bunch of numpties.

* There are normal human beings who may sit in Y26 and not wish to be sandwiched between neanderthals.
* The fact that some posters acknowledge this tends to support the Club's stance
* Some decent away fans may end up being sold tickets in this area - and will also be appalled.

My own view is that a standing area in the North would be great. But I cannot support those whose aim is to sit / stand in Y26 just to hurl vile insults at other people.

Perhaps when these youths are a bit more mature they will realise how pathetic they sound...

Neanderthals?
normal human beings?
decent away fans?
youths?
vile insults?
have you ever been in that part of the ground??

you must read the daily mail .

I wouldn't use the Mail to line a kitty litter box...
Try answering the comments instead of just putting ? after certain words.

RFC is a Club. As with any Club the management have the right to refuse entry. Live with it. And yes I have heard 'vile insults' shouted by 'youths' and 'neanderthals' at 'decent away fans' thus upsetting normal human beings' when sitting round there.
In many ways I wish we were back in the 70s when there was no segregation and those who went in certain areas KNEW there was going to be trouble.
The current crop of lads who gesticulate and swear across netting and through safety gates are just little wasters....

1982Royal

by 1982Royal » 12 Dec 2008 16:42

66DD
Royalshow
1982Royal I sit in Y26, and if people who sit in Y26 went to the game on Tuesday night(Blackpool) and didn't hear the racist abuse aimed at the referee, who I agree wasn't the best at refereeing, need to get their ears checked...Also behind me a group of blokes in their mid 40's calling one of the black stewards a monkey and a n****r.

And before you say 'Well report it to the club'. I have done.

Tbf if these sort of things are going on then the club are certainly right to take action.That last bit is completely unexceptable.

I disagree entirely. Reporting it is the responsible action. Doing nothing is completely unacceptable.

To be fair, I think he means the part about the racial abuse towards the steward, not me informing the club.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 12 Dec 2008 16:45

working class hero Having sat all round the stadium this season I think it is fair to say that Y26 [and some in Y25] behave like stereotypical racist, bigoted, thick arseholes. The idea that they are indulging in 'banter' is frankly a nonsense. And when their cage is rattled they try to hide behind STAR - who have it seems tried to argue their case. STAR is then abused when the club refuse to change their [pretty reasonable] policy.... What a bunch of numpties.

I'm afraid the stereotypical racist, bigoted, thick arseholes don't just sit in Y26 so maybe other sections should be cleared out too?!

Sadly there are a fair number of stereotypical racist, bigoted, thick arseholes in our society and I reckon the ratio attending football matches at least matches that in society in general. I sit in Y21 and have heard racist comments made there. They're not just limited to officials, opposing players and stewards either. At least these people are consistent in their bigotry because I've heard a few remarks about our players too!

Unfortunately (or maybe that's fortunately) said bigots appear to move around a bit and this, together with the fact that I am trying to support my team rather than police the crowd, means I have yet to pinpoint one with sufficient accuracy to report them.

The 17 Bus I think it is fair to say that this whole problem is actually the fault of Reading Football club, and the design of the Stadium and policies implemented since it was open.

Why was a proper buffer area not in the original plans? Thye knew of the problems of having the home and away fans next to each other, and if they did not then they never went to EP, or any other ground at the time the Stadium was designed.

Why did the club never encourage the singers into a different area, and make it easier for them to be together??

This whole thing echoes the safety gate, a very rare measure at most grounds, but RFC decided that it was better to piss off many fans, as posted on this very site many times, than create an alternative exit system.

But the club introduced this in the interests of our health & safety. And I have to say that, in doing so, they have assisted my health. Having to run right around the stadium after the game, in order to get back to virtually where I started from, has greatly improved my fitness!

Ironically, I am now so fit that I can run it in no time at all and, were I to be the type who wished to give the visiting supporters a good kicking, arrive fighting fit and in plenty of time to do so!!

Royalshow

by Royalshow » 12 Dec 2008 17:24

To be fair, I think he means the part about the racial abuse towards the steward, not me informing the club.

yeah sorry should have made that clearer.

working class hero

by working class hero » 12 Dec 2008 18:11

I'm afraid the stereotypical racist, bigoted, thick arseholes don't just sit in Y26 so maybe other sections should be cleared out too?!

Sadly there are a fair number of stereotypical racist, bigoted, thick arseholes in our society and I reckon the ratio attending football matches at least matches that in society in general.

They should be banned wherever they sit. I had one sit behind me who used to slag Omar Daley in a racist fashion. I complained and he disappeared.
I think you are right that there are a similar percentage of bigoted scumbags at the Madstad and in society in general [possibly more at football for historical reasons]. But to allow them to congregate together let's them think they are normal. A bit like folk at a BNP rally think they are part of a mainstream movement....
Split them up, and hopefully others will complain and they can be got rid of. I don't think anyone would miss them.

At a couple of games I have heard our own players described as ni**ers by our fans - I am sure the team does not such passionate support.

Winchester Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Winchester Royal » 12 Dec 2008 19:12

working class hero

Sadly there are a fair number of stereotypical racist, bigoted, thick arseholes in our society and I reckon the ratio attending football matches at least matches that in society in general.

They should be banned wherever they sit. I had one sit behind me who used to slag Omar Daley in a racist fashion. I complained and he disappeared.
I think you are right that there are a similar percentage of bigoted scumbags at the Madstad and in society in general [possibly more at football for historical reasons]. But to allow them to congregate together let's them think they are normal. A bit like folk at a BNP rally think they are part of a mainstream movement....
Split them up, and hopefully others will complain and they can be got rid of. I don't think anyone would miss them.

At a couple of games I have heard our own players described as ni**ers by our fans - I am sure the team does not such passionate support.

Why don't you just report the culprits to the club, rather than moaning about a couple of blocks of fans that is 2000 strong? You must think that Reading fans are collectively the scum of the earth?

working class hero

by working class hero » 12 Dec 2008 20:52

Why don't you just report the culprits to the club, rather than moaning about a couple of blocks of fans that is 2000 strong? You must think that Reading fans are collectively the scum of the earth?

I reckon a very small minority are scum of the earth....And you answer your own question. It is difficult to pick out the miscreants in a crowd [which is why the club are punishing some innocent fans].... Anyway many are not sitting in the correct seats - so even if I decided to ignore the game and spot the racist creeps it might not help anyway.

Do those of you arguing with the club stance really approve of the minority who act like baboons????

Skin
Hob Nob Regular
Location: You are now about to witness the strength of street knowledge

by Skin » 12 Dec 2008 21:26

If you mean 'baboons' who like to stand occasionally, sing and join in with banter, yes. If you mean racist 'baboons' then no. These are 2 completely different issues, but the club seem to ignore the distinction and just use the extreme to try and justify their actiions. Complete joke really.

jonboy29red

by jonboy29red » 12 Dec 2008 23:15

coin throwing not seen

racist chants or words towards stewards n plays not heard

y26 being turned in to a morge no wonder the bkpool fans sang that song on tuesday night

working class hero

by working class hero » 12 Dec 2008 23:57

If you mean 'baboons' who like to stand occasionally, sing and join in with banter, yes

All the above sound like a good and enjoyable part of football to me.

It does depend on how you define banter though. To me banter is a humorous exchange - NOT some knuckle dragging moron screaming 'you f*cking c****' at regular intervals.

Jonboy - I suggest you see a Dr. This selective blindness and deafness must be very inconvenient.

Rex
Hob Nob Addict

by Rex » 13 Dec 2008 03:38

So far i have heard racist sh1te aimed at our own players at Burnley (Kebe), and sadly again at Barnsley for his sending off.
On both occasions this came from behind me and as a result i could not pinpoint any particular offender.
I certainly do not condone this purile abuse by a minority who possibly after a few beers let their personality show. Weeding out the persistant offenders after a period of warning could prove effective if managed in a sensible manner.
Safety stewards are placed pitch side to prevent what(!) pitch invasions. Others are dotted around the entrance / exits to the concourses. Often used as a premice for crowd safety but often used to calm rowdy support. (Sit down /shut up).
Placing a static steward within the crowd instead of on the edge would prove a more effective measure with a particular ticket withheld for such a purpose. As these people are paid to spot potential trouble and are radio linked it is far less confrontational to report and remove at half time. Sadly some see this also as a badge of honour (ala Nottingham Forest), though these men were just drunk and fairly funny for a change.
Introduce a policy of education to supporters making them aware that such behaviour will erventually lead to a season ban or other such punative measures. A straight ban / appeal process doesn't work as effectively. Caution / caution / banning period could work.
Security measures such as photograhpic season tickets can work if the club invested in the correct technology. This would with supporter consent work, and prevent the selling on of a season ticket for a match. As such a banning order could work effectively. Upgrading a season ticket would still work as the club could add the nominated person to the cards database detailing address / age / photgraph. Football shouldn't be used as big brother and if used correctly and sensitively there would only be a minority of possible objectors to such a policy.
Atmosphere is paramount at football - the aim should not be to kill off such a tradition of singing if channelled correctly. Racially agravated chanting should be stamped out as it breeds hatred, incites violence and breeds contempt for an already dwindling breed of people who are struggling financially to attend live matches.

moo
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by moo » 13 Dec 2008 10:55

Well I put it to you that you sucked off a horse

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Hobnob Prediction League Champion 2011/2012, 2020/2021

by LWJ » 13 Dec 2008 11:49

working class hero

I reckon a very small minority are scum of the earth....And you answer your own question. It is difficult to pick out the miscreants in a crowd [which is why the club are punishing some innocent fans].... Anyway many are not sitting in the correct seats - so even if I decided to ignore the game and spot the racist creeps it might not help anyway.

Do those of you arguing with the club stance really approve of the minority who act like baboons????

Go support swindon and you will have a taste of a real fan base. All you have said is trying to make us look like the typical 'green street' crew. And it's a load of bollocks.

Rex
Hob Nob Addict

by Rex » 13 Dec 2008 17:53

moo Well I put it to you that you sucked off a horse

I quivver with rage and am truly insulted at this slur on the horses character.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 13 Dec 2008 19:12

SymonsO Does a racist supporter who sits in Y26 become a non racist supporter when he sits in Y25?

Why not open Y26 and take a hard line approach to racism for a few games. Throw in a life ban or two for anyone calling a referee a "ni**er" etc. It would probably get in the evening post or something with a nice mug shot of the offenders. That would send a message IMO.

The fans get Y26 open, the racism disappears/coin throwing dissapears and the atmosphere continues.

Seems pretty simple to me.

But RFC don't seem to like 'pretty simple' solutions! :cry:

working class hero

by working class hero » 13 Dec 2008 20:32

Go support swindon and you will have a taste of a real fan base. All you have said is trying to make us look like the typical 'green street' crew. And it's a load of bollocks.

Grow up junior.

Green street is a sanitised version of what film makers would like to believe hooligans were like. And kids seem to aspire to being that 'hard'.
The peak hooligan years were the late 60s and 70s. No segregation and the away hooligans would pay to go into the home end in an attempt to 'take' it. Knives were a frequent weapon [makes you wonder why the media think knife crime is new!]. Bottles, lumps of wood, knuckledusters, darts - you name it it got used.

Really hard places to go were Stoke, Wolves, Newcastle, Anfield, The Manchester clubs, Brum, any Welsh club, Chelsea, West Ham - and probably Leeds [but as a Leeds fan I saw a different angle].

Y26 might like to think it is hard - but the fans from there would not last 2 minutes in the old style environment.
No I am not glorifying it - life is MUCH better now, but some perspective is needed.... :roll:

madreadingfan

by madreadingfan » 13 Dec 2008 21:57

working class hero

Grow up junior.

Green street is a sanitised version of what film makers would like to believe hooligans were like. And kids seem to aspire to being that 'hard'.
The peak hooligan years were the late 60s and 70s. No segregation and the away hooligans would pay to go into the home end in an attempt to 'take' it. Knives were a frequent weapon [makes you wonder why the media think knife crime is new!]. Bottles, lumps of wood, knuckledusters, darts - you name it it got used.

Really hard places to go were Stoke, Wolves, Newcastle, Anfield, The Manchester clubs, Brum, any Welsh club, Chelsea, West Ham - and probably Leeds [but as a Leeds fan I saw a different angle].

Y26 might like to think it is hard - but the fans from there would not last 2 minutes in the old style environment.
No I am not glorifying it - life is MUCH better now, but some perspective is needed.... :roll:

you are such a boring old fart, i hate it when people completley go off the subject and go ohh back in the 1970s this and this happened we dont give a oxf*rd!! this is about now not about the history f bloody hooliganism!

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 14 Dec 2008 10:16

This might raise a wry smile or two.....

Oh, and their stewards are belligerently partisan. They kept marching up the steps mob-handed to tell our fans right at the back of the stand to sit, but no such enforcement action was taking place away to our right, where Reading supporters (if that is what we must call them) were standing throughout the first half.

http://norwichcity.myfootballwriter.com/full_article.asp?i=4364

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 14 Dec 2008 10:37

Good read PP, so we are seen as little Reading, sh!t fans, and poor stewards, hell we can't even raise 20k against the mighty Canaries, no doubt this fella says similar about Birmingham as well, always had a spot for Norwich, good club well run nice fans, well that spot is now relegation, they can f"ck off and stick their carrots up their rectums. AT least NR will make a few bob that way, we are accused of arrogance, this fella has it in abundance, the once mighty Norwich.

Personally I would rather be third with 20k, than near the botton with 25k.

1956/7 bottom of the league, and twice previously had to apply for re election to the league, we never did.

We won't point out that they had great success under Mike Walker, wonder which other teams he was at.

PS their manager haas gone down in my estimations after seeing this on WK,

He moved from Glentoran to Burnley, a far cry from his native city of London. 'Glenda' as Little became known was a key player in the Burnley side for many years, despite being frozen out during Chris Waddle's spell as the Clarets' manager. Waddle's assistant, Glenn Roeder famously commented that Little 'wasn't fit to lace Waddle's boots'.

297 posts