Fans Forum

188 posts
Green
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Fans Forum

by Green » 31 Jul 2013 14:17

paultheroyal Club looking for a striker.
Options always open, want a player to fit the Reading mould.
Tough team choices for the season ahead starting Saturday.
We will do it the Reading way.
Players adopting to new philosphy.
Want to excite the fans.
I am one of you.
We are on a journey together.
Great togetherness.
Transfer window, still a long way to go.

You get the picture....

Jesus christ.

And the likes of Dirk Gently still claim it's not just a PR opportunity.

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you give us 90 minutes, we'll give you a lifetime

by SPARTA » 31 Jul 2013 14:44

Geekins So Drenthe hasn't grown up then... How long is he going to last.

He just needs to make sure he stays on the straight an narrow. Nothing at all about him not changing.

RoyalinBracknell

by RoyalinBracknell » 31 Jul 2013 15:10

Thanks again for the information.

To put the question a slightly different way - and with thanks to those who have already referred to it - for those who have been to past fans forums, how did Nigel Adkins come across in relation to previous managers? Did he seem any more/less open than others for instance?

And it's good to know that we're still in the market for a striker! Out of interest - if anything can be said - was there any mention made of the likelihood of Alex McCarthy staying?

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 31 Jul 2013 15:26

I saw Cypry in Broad Street a couple of weeks ago. Looked perfectly healthy to me other than he was missing two fingers from his left hand. Apparently he got to keep his membership but he's no longer allowed a window seat on the coaches.

MouldyRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by MouldyRoyal » 31 Jul 2013 15:27

65% of the scarring is emotional.

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 31 Jul 2013 15:32

Maguire I saw Cypry in Broad Street a couple of weeks ago. Looked perfectly healthy to me other than he was missing two fingers from his left hand. Apparently he got to keep his membership but he's no longer allowed a window seat on the coaches.

:lol:

I heard he also gets last choice of packed sandwich.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 31 Jul 2013 15:39

I heard, you wanna know what I heard? This is what I heard. I heard that STAR lobbied RFC to make this season's kit white bed sheets and white hoods and people at the FF used the N word several times last night.
Last edited by sandman on 31 Jul 2013 18:19, edited 1 time in total.

Cypry

by Cypry » 31 Jul 2013 18:12

Green
Maguire I saw Cypry in Broad Street a couple of weeks ago. Looked perfectly healthy to me other than he was missing two fingers from his left hand. Apparently he got to keep his membership but he's no longer allowed a window seat on the coaches.

:lol:

I heard he also gets last choice of packed sandwich.

'tis true - I was the one at the back wearing mittens eating egg and cress sandwiches last night....

Cobi
Hob Nob Regular

by Cobi » 31 Jul 2013 18:17

the club and star can do nothing about fans passing on what's said to their friends. nothing is said that can be damaging to the club (certainly not in the handful i've been to), it's just a star power trip.

Alexander Litvinenko
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Winner - HNA? Music Quiz 2013. The Great Sounds of Polonium 210.

by Alexander Litvinenko » 31 Jul 2013 18:23

Cobi the club and star can do nothing about fans passing on what's said to their friends. nothing is said that can be damaging to the club (certainly not in the handful i've been to), it's just a star power trip.

See the comment in the thread on this in the STAR forum.

People can't be stopped saying what they like, you're right, but it's self-defeating, because the more that people report on what's said, the less interesting stuff will be said in future ones, and they'll all become just like stage-managed pr events. And what's said won't damage the club, but a manager's honest opinion on players (both his own and other clubs') for instance, won't damage anyone, but may well be the sort of thing he'd not want to get out.

One8Seven1

by One8Seven1 » 31 Jul 2013 18:29

Alexander Litvinenko
Cobi the club and star can do nothing about fans passing on what's said to their friends. nothing is said that can be damaging to the club (certainly not in the handful i've been to), it's just a star power trip.

People can't be stopped saying what they like, you're right, but it's self-defeating, because the more that people report on what's said, the less interesting stuff will be said in future ones, and they'll all become just like stage-managed pr events. And what's said won't damage the club, but a manager's honest opinion on players (both his own and other clubs') for instance, won't damage anyone, but may well be the sort of thing he'd not want to get out.

Having been to a few myself, nothing very interesting is revealed very often any way. I go purely to get away from her indoors and sup a couple of pints before and after, plus I like to know a the clubs intentions. If they scrapped the whole thing then it really wouldn't be a great loss, apart from those at STAR who would take it very personally. Asfor managers revealing their true feelings about players; well I doubt any would be that stupid, because word always gets out in that case. I've only ever heard Brian McDermott joke about how he lied to a few players to get them to sign for him, nothing adverse about anyone. That would be very naive.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 02 Aug 2013 14:44

Alexander Litvinenko

But don't you think that's wrong? Why should paying £10 a year to STAR make you a better fan than anyone else and privvy to anything the Manager has to say, rather than those of us who have paid, literally, THOUSANDS of pounds to RFC over the years in tickets, season tickets, merchandise? You could, quite literally, pay £10 to get to these forums and not even attend any games or anything - how is that "fair" to all supporters? This is one of the reasons I want to stand for STAR, but if I need 10 other STAR members to validate my application, I can't see me getting very far, when my MO is to make STAR all about the supporters and NOT for a few hundred supporters to think they're better than everyone else and certainly NOT to suck up to the club. I'll try and stand if I know I have people backing me, I'm looking at YOU Woodcote et al. So please let me know before the nominations have to be in.

Alexander Litvinenko
Hob Nob Regular

by Alexander Litvinenko » 02 Aug 2013 15:13

Royal Lady But don't you think that's wrong? Why should paying £10 a year to STAR make you a better fan than anyone else and privvy to anything the Manager has to say, rather than those of us who have paid, literally, THOUSANDS of pounds to RFC over the years in tickets, season tickets, merchandise? You could, quite literally, pay £10 to get to these forums and not even attend any games or anything - how is that "fair" to all supporters? This is one of the reasons I want to stand for STAR, but if I need 10 other STAR members to validate my application, I can't see me getting very far, when my MO is to make STAR all about the supporters and NOT for a few hundred supporters to think they're better than everyone else and certainly NOT to suck up to the club. I'll try and stand if I know I have people backing me, I'm looking at YOU Woodcote et al. So please let me know before the nominations have to be in.

Who says it makes anyone a "better fan" - and what's with the apparent obsession with "grading" people and making valkue judgements about them?

And surely the same reasoning could be applied to absolutely anything where someone makes a choice and spends some money (or doesn't!) - are people who go to away games "better" than those who can't afford to, don't have time to or are ill/disabled/carers?

And it's not a £10 admission charge to the FF - it's £10 for all the benefits of membership, including representation, belonging to a mutual organisation, being eligible to stand and vote, as well as travelling on coaches etc.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 02 Aug 2013 15:15

Royal Lady
Alexander Litvinenko

But don't you think that's wrong? Why should paying £10 a year to STAR make you a better fan than anyone else and privvy to anything the Manager has to say, rather than those of us who have paid, literally, THOUSANDS of pounds to RFC over the years in tickets, season tickets, merchandise? You could, quite literally, pay £10 to get to these forums and not even attend any games or anything - how is that "fair" to all supporters? This is one of the reasons I want to stand for STAR, but if I need 10 other STAR members to validate my application, I can't see me getting very far, when my MO is to make STAR all about the supporters and NOT for a few hundred supporters to think they're better than everyone else and certainly NOT to suck up to the club. I'll try and stand if I know I have people backing me, I'm looking at YOU Woodcote et al. So please let me know before the nominations have to be in.

is it cos its a STAR event, for STAR members?

feel free to start your own organisation, make it free for all, and start up your own little regular public chats with the management

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 02 Aug 2013 15:27

Alexander Litvinenko

Clearly by limiting the comments to only be heard from a section of the fan base who belong to STAR, they are giving STAR members preference over every other fan - if that's not "grading" I don't know what is. And Melonhead, I've already been advised by Dirk that the club would have nothing to do with an alternative group to STAR - probably because I wouldn't be kissing the club's arse at every given opportunity!

parky
Hob Nob Regular

by parky » 02 Aug 2013 15:35

Royal Lady
Alexander Litvinenko

I'll back you RL. STAR from what I've seen of it is exactly as you describe it and it needs changing.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 02 Aug 2013 15:36

Royal Lady
Alexander Litvinenko

Clearly by limiting the comments to only be heard from a section of the fan base who belong to STAR, they are giving STAR members preference over every other fan - if that's not "grading" I don't know what is. And Melonhead, I've already been advised by Dirk that the club would have nothing to do with an alternative group to STAR - probably because I wouldn't be kissing the club's arse at every given opportunity!

theyd have to if we had more members than star.

im happy with how its done. & if they published what was said, no one would bloody go

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 02 Aug 2013 15:37

Alexander Litvinenko

You honestly believe the manager will speak his mind, just cos someone stands up at the front before the forum and says "please don't tell anyone what you hear tonight"

Alexander Litvinenko
Hob Nob Regular

by Alexander Litvinenko » 02 Aug 2013 15:39

TBM
Alexander Litvinenko

You honestly believe the manager will speak his mind, just cos someone stands up at the front before the forum and says "please don't tell anyone what you hear tonight"

I know that if there's the right level of trust and everyone there understands it, that it happens spontaneously.

parky
Hob Nob Regular

by parky » 02 Aug 2013 15:39

Although they must be doing something right as I believe tuesdays fans forum had the highest attendence for a while.

188 posts