HP parking closing after Arsenal game

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 25 Oct 2006 16:54

The real culprits in this matter are the *rseholes at Reading Borough Council.

More than happy to share the Premiership glory and all the associated commercial/raised profile spin-offs but can't be *rsed to help out with what are becoming increasingly serious parking/transport problems.

Probably far too busy recruiting extra parking attendants for the fantastic business opportunity presented by the Spurs game.

Matt de K

by Matt de K » 25 Oct 2006 16:57

Wycombe: i did see that - but what has come from it?? ok maybe there's 'talks' going on about 250 spaces at courages - but nothing is definate yet is it. Even if they do manage to secure courages that still leaves alot less spaces than before. When did this actually get found out by RFC. That link is 5 days old - I'm sure they had alot more notice than that!

Dirk: a) Do you really think I expect anything free from RFC??? come on don't be silly now. You're making up your own argument there from my post. Read it again, get back in your pram, and maybe try again if you feel the need. My point is that I NEED to drive. And have always parked at HP after my car got broken into near the park on the Basingstoke Road.
b) I know RFC didn't benefit from the HP car park. That is common knowledge. My point is that RFC aren't losing out here - once again it's the supporter that loses out.

MartinRdg

by MartinRdg » 25 Oct 2006 17:09

Matt de K Is nobody else concerned about the lack of RFC involvement with the lack of car parking spaces???

OK so they've pin pointed where season ticket holders live. Wow. I probably could have done that.

They've asked people whether they'd like a bus service put on - @ £5 return each (typical - make as much money as possible at the supporters expense). This is the only communication we have officially from RFC to let us know what they are doing about it. It's not good enough. I'd rather pay the tenner @ the post house than travel to, say, Yateley and pay effectively £15
I live in Bramshill and have travelled with my 2 brothers for the last 5 or 6 seasons, so parking is essential for me. Christ there's not even a normal bus that goes through Bramshill.

I appreciate that the closure of the HP car park 'may' be a blessing in disguise in the long term - but what about now??

It seems just as always; RFC take peoples money then oxf*rd them.

It does seem daft to charge £5. How much is it from the town centre return?

I tend to catch the no. 4 or 6. down Basingstoke Rd for £1.50 each way.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 25 Oct 2006 19:51

Dirk Gently
Matt de K They've asked people whether they'd like a bus service put on - @ £5 return each (typical - make as much money as possible at the supporters expense).

You really expect a free bus service from where you live? If you're having one why can't I have one? And what about the other 20,000+ home fans?
Or do you think there is a fleet of magic busses that don't cost anything to run, with drivers that do it for free?
Or would you rather have ticket prices go up by a fiver a game to compensate?

I don't think he was asking for a free bus. :roll: I believe he was making the very valid point that even though buses are free to run and drivers want paying, the costs don't add up to anything near like £5 per person each way! a mini cab (with 3 or 4 passengers) would work out cheaper than that!

Dirk Gently HP are vacating and so the office will be empty.

That means that get to claim massive rebates off their business rates (or whatever they're called these days), and this rebate will be invalidated if the premises are used for any purposes.

Or not - Reading Borough Council have verbally said that this is not the case and so parking could go on, but as they've not thought this important enough to confirm it in writing HP won't take the risk!

Interesting - see my previous post about the *rseholes at RBC. Maybe Mr M could withold his next donation to the public good until they decide to help the club a bit!

STAR Liaison
Hob Nob Regular

by STAR Liaison » 26 Oct 2006 12:22

Matt de K Wycombe: i did see that - but what has come from it?? ok maybe there's 'talks' going on about 250 spaces at courages - but nothing is definate yet is it. Even if they do manage to secure courages that still leaves alot less spaces than before. When did this actually get found out by RFC. That link is 5 days old - I'm sure they had alot more notice than that!

As someone who actually tried to get more car parking when we were promoted in 2002 I can assure you that not getting more places to park is not the same thing as not doing anything. Heads and brick walls are both in the best summary of what it is like.

Having spoken at length to the stadium manager on this subject I think most people on here would be hard pushed to come up with an idea he has not already tried and failed to get to happen. If you like if you post a (feasible) idea I will let you know if it has already been tried or pass it on so that he can try it.

There are still several possibilities in the pipeline, some very imaginative, but they all take time (and often money which is not popular with JM) to make happen. It is mainly down to the reputation that football supporters have with the top guys at the relevant organisations so maybe we should combine this thread with the one about banning and try to get all of us to clean up the reputation of football :oops:

Seal
Hob Nob Regular

by Seal » 26 Oct 2006 12:57

Starliason - I know it's a side issue but can I just ask you what the club plan to do when there are potentially 38,000 people attending a game?

As far as I can see from the plans, there are no provisions for more parking, or for that matter any additional road access to the ground. I find it shocking that they are happy to extend the capacity without thinking about the transport implications. Surely a slip road from the M4 or a train station or something would need to be included in the plans!?

p.s. I know this isn't technically the club's problem and they wouldn't want to spend the money on it, but it will be absolute chaos if some planning doesn't go into it.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 26 Oct 2006 14:09

Seal Starliason - I know it's a side issue but can I just ask you what the club plan to do when there are potentially 38,000 people attending a game?

As far as I can see from the plans, there are no provisions for more parking, or for that matter any additional road access to the ground. I find it shocking that they are happy to extend the capacity without thinking about the transport implications. Surely a slip road from the M4 or a train station or something would need to be included in the plans!?

p.s. I know this isn't technically the club's problem and they wouldn't want to spend the money on it, but it will be absolute chaos if some planning doesn't go into it.

When you say there are "no provisions for any additional road access to the ground" why would there be if they aren't making any more parking available at the ground?

Junction 11 will be signiciantly improved in the next couple of years, there will be the station at Green Park and the public transport to the stadium I believe will also be improved.

Car parking away from the stadium is the problem and they are working hard to resolve that.

Matt de K

by Matt de K » 26 Oct 2006 14:31

starliaison
Matt de K Wycombe: i did see that - but what has come from it?? ok maybe there's 'talks' going on about 250 spaces at courages - but nothing is definate yet is it. Even if they do manage to secure courages that still leaves alot less spaces than before. When did this actually get found out by RFC. That link is 5 days old - I'm sure they had alot more notice than that!

As someone who actually tried to get more car parking when we were promoted in 2002 I can assure you that not getting more places to park is not the same thing as not doing anything. Heads and brick walls are both in the best summary of what it is like.

Having spoken at length to the stadium manager on this subject I think most people on here would be hard pushed to come up with an idea he has not already tried and failed to get to happen. If you like if you post a (feasible) idea I will let you know if it has already been tried or pass it on so that he can try it.

There are still several possibilities in the pipeline, some very imaginative, but they all take time (and often money which is not popular with JM) to make happen. It is mainly down to the reputation that football supporters have with the top guys at the relevant organisations so maybe we should combine this thread with the one about banning and try to get all of us to clean up the reputation of football :oops:

So what your saying is that all these "top guys" at organisations think that it's the people who drive cars that are the trouble makers at football matches?? That doesn't make sense (to me anyway) the only trouble makers I've seen in a car was both the games after Cardiff (evening match where we won 2-1) and Swansea (some cup match replay). And (surprise suprise) it was those dam taffs being the trouble makers.....

What about all the offices in Green park - they are quite big & I imagine they have ample car parking spaces to suit their big offices, well they must do as there are always security bods there not letting people through. Can't JM pull any strings with regard to the buildings he built (well, payed to be build)??

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 26 Oct 2006 14:37

Matt de K What about all the offices in Green park - they are quite big & I imagine they have ample car parking spaces to suit their big offices, well they must do as there are always security bods there not letting people through. Can't JM pull any strings with regard to the buildings he built (well, payed to be build)??

That must be some deep sand that your head is buried in. :wink:

Seal
Hob Nob Regular

by Seal » 26 Oct 2006 14:37

Wycombe Royal
Seal Starliason - I know it's a side issue but can I just ask you what the club plan to do when there are potentially 38,000 people attending a game?

When you say there are "no provisions for any additional road access to the ground" why would there be if they aren't making any more parking available at the ground?

Junction 11 will be signiciantly improved in the next couple of years, there will be the station at Green Park and the public transport to the stadium I believe will also be improved.

Car parking away from the stadium is the problem and they are working hard to resolve that.

I was merely illustrating the fact that they don't seem to have taken into account the transport issues in their plans.

My old man lives right by Junction 11 and he can see there being any major beneift in the changes, just complete bedlam whilst they make them.

However, I didn't realise that the Green Park station has been confirmed, and as long as it's ready by the time the stadium increases capacity that should solve a lot of the problems. To be honest if people still want to drive when there's a decent train service then more fool them!

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 26 Oct 2006 14:41

Seal I was merely illustrating the fact that they don't seem to have taken into account the transport issues in their plans. !

That's because they are stadium plans and there is nothing they can do at the stadium to help with that issue. THey are fully aware of the parking and transportation issues and they will be considered as part of the planning application.

There is also a large park and ride to be built just south of Jct 11 and I believe that it will be available for use by football fans on matchdays.

STAR Liaison
Hob Nob Regular

by STAR Liaison » 26 Oct 2006 15:06

Seal I find it shocking that they are happy to extend the capacity without thinking about the transport implications. Surely a slip road from the M4 or a train station or something would need to be included in the plans!?

Agree it would be shocking - but you cannot have read the document on the stadium expansion as otherwise you would have read page 8 which is headed transportation and reads:

The safe and efficient transport of spectators to and from the stadium is a key component of the new extension proposals. In particular increasing traffic immediatley adjacent to the stadium is not feasible with the current capacity of the A33. Therefore the club, together with Reading Borough Council, have investigated other alternative 'greener' modes of transport so that no increased on-site parking will be required.

A Transport Assessment is currently being finalised for submission with the planning application. This will details the proposals for encouraging alternative modes of transport that will include:
increased car sharing through incentivised ticket sales
increased park and ride services
more match-day bus services targeted at areas of existing supporters
concessions on public transport for season ticket holders
improved accessibility to the site

HTH (don't forget to read it knowing that RBC are unlikely to allow further parking even if the club could find more land for it)

STAR Liaison
Hob Nob Regular

by STAR Liaison » 26 Oct 2006 15:13

Matt de K So what your saying is that all these "top guys" at organisations think that it's the people who drive cars that are the trouble makers at football matches?? That doesn't make sense (to me anyway) the only trouble makers I've seen in a car was both the games after Cardiff (evening match where we won 2-1) and Swansea (some cup match replay). And (surprise suprise) it was those dam taffs being the trouble makers.....

What about all the offices in Green park - they are quite big & I imagine they have ample car parking spaces to suit their big offices, well they must do as there are always security bods there not letting people through. Can't JM pull any strings with regard to the buildings he built (well, payed to be build)??

Yes I am saying that. These top guys think anyone who goes to football has the potential to turn into a trouble maker.

It is interesting that you mention Green Park as it was at a couple of offices on Green Park that I had actually agreed parking (with the knowledge of the local manager) when the top guy in London vetoed it. These buildings belong to Prudential and are nothing to do with JM, and everyone who has shown an interest has tried to get them to allow parking on Green Park. Even Andrew Peach on BBCBerks, who thought just as you do and was sure he could sort it, found that when he tried to embarrass them into allowing parking he too failed. All we can hope for is with time we will show that football fans do not trash every place they go to, and that the top guy will move on and his successor is a little more open minded.

Matt de K

by Matt de K » 26 Oct 2006 15:20

Wycombe Royal
Matt de K What about all the offices in Green park - they are quite big & I imagine they have ample car parking spaces to suit their big offices, well they must do as there are always security bods there not letting people through. Can't JM pull any strings with regard to the buildings he built (well, payed to be build)??

That must be some deep sand that your head is buried in. :wink:

LOL - I must have missed the boat somewhere - I take it that GP is a no no then. I didn't know that :oops:

Matt de K

by Matt de K » 26 Oct 2006 15:21

starliaison
Matt de K So what your saying is that all these "top guys" at organisations think that it's the people who drive cars that are the trouble makers at football matches?? That doesn't make sense (to me anyway) the only trouble makers I've seen in a car was both the games after Cardiff (evening match where we won 2-1) and Swansea (some cup match replay). And (surprise suprise) it was those dam taffs being the trouble makers.....

Yes I am saying that. These top guys think anyone who goes to football has the potential to turn into a trouble maker.

It is interesting that you mention Green Park as it was at a couple of offices on Green Park that I had actually agreed parking (with the knowledge of the local manager) when the top guy in London vetoed it. These buildings belong to Prudential and are nothing to do with JM, and everyone who has shown an interest has tried to get them to allow parking on Green Park. Even Andrew Peach on BBCBerks, who thought just as you do and was sure he could sort it, found that when he tried to embarrass them into allowing parking he too failed. All we can hope for is with time we will show that football fans do not trash every place they go to, and that the top guy will move on and his successor is a little more open minded.

I guess that answers my question

Warfield Royal

by Warfield Royal » 26 Oct 2006 18:54

starliaison Therefore the club, together with Reading Borough Council, have investigated other alternative 'greener' modes of transport so that no increased on-site parking will be required.

Everyone who owns a car just wants to be able drive up to the gates of the ground, park up for free and walk straight in 5 minutes before kick-off. The only reason that so many car owning fans are even prepared to walk as far as HP is because of the horrendous queues to get out of the stadium car parks after a match. And I know because I admit I'm one of them :shock:

There is no way that ''greener' modes of transport' will ever make a difference.

Ian

by Ian » 26 Oct 2006 22:01

I find it strange that the owners of Green Park and similar sites drive round in very large gas guzzling cars but do not want nasty common football supporters in heaven forbid vans cluttering up there posh site.

Reading Borough council hate cars yet we cannot all travel by bus it is just not practical if the bus service is on an hourly basis from where you live. Two of us travel to games in a small fuel efficient car so at least we share transport. If road networks were better and access to the ground improved by even something as simple as getting the traffic light phasing right and considering a back road into Green Park with the owners forced by the planners to allow some car parking even if they let them charge a fair price.

I am sure the Club is trying to get some better parking but they need help to do so. Any ideas anyone?

Royal Monk

by Royal Monk » 26 Oct 2006 22:48

I know RFC didn't benefit from the HP car park. That is common knowledge.

I was talking to one of the car park attendants at HP car park the other day and he said RFC made a mint from the use of the car park

Might be a load of bollox but he told me ....

RFC pay HP £1000 per day for use of the car park
RFC supply car park attendants who get free ticket into the ground as part payment

Now do the maths on the profit for RFC !!!! :shock:

Of course he could have lied :roll:

BenReadingFC
Hob Nob Regular

by BenReadingFC » 27 Oct 2006 00:48

Royal Monk
RFC pay HP £1000 per day for use of the car park

Seems very cheap to me.I'm in the wrong business.
How much do they charge to park at HP.
How many spaces?
Pay a few twats to keep it running £400 a game
£5 @ 500 spaces £2500
£10 @ 500 spaces £5000
x 19 league games + how ever many cup games
= ?££££££

Easy money in the bank

Symposium

by Symposium » 27 Oct 2006 01:06

JM had nothing to do with GreenPark. It was built and is owned by PRUPIM (property arm of Prudential).