Standing on the terraces?

Which part of the ground might be returned to terraces?

Lower West
5%
South East corner (from away fans to edge of penalty area)
38%
Reading half of South Stand
13%
North Stand
22%
North east corner (half of North plus two blocks of East)
11%
Other!
13%

Total votes: 111
shadesrwrf
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by shadesrwrf » 03 Feb 2007 22:30

working class hero
There is a momentum behind the campaigns

I am sure Mr Mad is already planning the changes. The momentum of 69 votes will hae swayed him.

Again it is all about choice... as long as people choose to agree with the vociferous posters. If there were to be an area I would like it to be in a traditional behind the goal area and I would want to move my ST. I reckon it should be at pitch side so our increased volume will be maximised. Of course it might not be fair as it would mean many being relocated and this would impinge on their choice.... And if the majority view were for standing then the whole stadium should be standing bar the upper west....

It won't happen and those who are most voluble will need to learn to act as adults and not toddlers...

As always you have to go and spoil an otherwise reasonable post with your pomposity.

Boomer

by Boomer » 04 Feb 2007 01:29

The best terraces are the ones behind the goals IMHO

Skin
Hob Nob Regular
Location: You are now about to witness the strength of street knowledge

by Skin » 04 Feb 2007 10:45

[quote="working class hero"]the whole stadium should be standing bar the upper west....

It won't happen [quote]

What an extreme idea. Of course it will never happen.

Most people are simply discussing a small part of a stadium allocated for standing as although still unrealistic, at least it represents the portion of fans that seem to want to stand.

Farnborough Royal

by Farnborough Royal » 04 Feb 2007 10:48

City were allowed to stand without getting told to sit down :roll:

Deadlock
Hob Nob Regular
Location: There's nothing of value there and the people make very poor slaves.

by Deadlock » 05 Feb 2007 10:29

There is a "debate" going on on 5 Live at this moment. I haven't said anything about a return to terracing yet - mostly because I don't really care and wouldn't stand anyway - but the guy they have on "defending" the idea - some Liberal MP - is oxf*rd hopeless. His argument is purely based on the fact that the safe standing areas would be well policed - not a single word about allocated standing or barriers between each row. The detractors are making mincemeat of him. He has no answer to their points about crowd surge at times of excitement being dangerous (completely solved by the row barriers which I reckon are probably safer than seat backs), I have to wonder if he's actually a plant.

EASTENDER MARKY

by EASTENDER MARKY » 05 Feb 2007 10:47

Farnborough Royal City were allowed to stand without getting told to sit down :roll:

We didn't get told to sit down, it was just that some Reading fans wanted to sit down. :roll:

Skin
Hob Nob Regular
Location: You are now about to witness the strength of street knowledge

by Skin » 05 Feb 2007 12:20

Deadlock There is a "debate" going on on 5 Live at this moment. I haven't said anything about a return to terracing yet - mostly because I don't really care and wouldn't stand anyway - but the guy they have on "defending" the idea - some Liberal MP - is oxf*rd hopeless. His argument is purely based on the fact that the safe standing areas would be well policed - not a single word about allocated standing or barriers between each row. The detractors are making mincemeat of him. He has no answer to their points about crowd surge at times of excitement being dangerous (completely solved by the row barriers which I reckon are probably safer than seat backs), I have to wonder if he's actually a plant.

Listening to that too.
Equally though the reason not to have any sort of standing area always comes back to Hillsborough, which in todays age of technology, policing, and stadium design is a dated arguement but still a very sensitive one. Take emotions out of it, and then it might be a debate where a resolution can be found.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 05 Feb 2007 12:26

Indeed - even more telling in the "emotional" stakes is the fact that Richard Caborn, who is the minister responsible in this area, is a Sheffield MP.

It's very difficult to get past the "I was there the morning after Hillsborough, you weren't" response when trying to discuss this issue with him.

Farnborough Royal

by Farnborough Royal » 05 Feb 2007 16:41

EASTENDER MARKY
Farnborough Royal City were allowed to stand without getting told to sit down :roll:

We didn't get told to sit down, it was just that some Reading fans wanted to sit down. :roll:

Some twat behing me (I was 2 rows from the back) told us to sit down when we had a corner because he couldn't see. OXF*RD STAND UP THEN!!

Coppelled Streets
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Coppelled Streets » 05 Feb 2007 16:52

Farnborough Royal
EASTENDER MARKY

Some twat behing me (I was 2 rows from the back) told us to sit down when we had a corner because he couldn't see. OXF*RD STAND UP THEN!!

If it's a corner or we're attacking and everyone stands, then bollocks to him.

Jerry St Clair
Hob Nob Regular

by Jerry St Clair » 05 Feb 2007 18:23

There a two page article in this month's When Saturday Comes about standing - specifically looking at standing in Germany (the only major football nation that still allows terracing in it's top division).

Basically, it says that so many fans in Germany see standing as a pre-requisite for them going to games and clubs are shit scared of upsetting them.

Fan power works.

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 05 Feb 2007 19:14

Jerry St Clair There a two page article in this month's When Saturday Comes about standing - specifically looking at standing in Germany (the only major football nation that still allows terracing in it's top division).

Basically, it says that so many fans in Germany see standing as a pre-requisite for them going to games and clubs are shit scared of upsetting them.

Fan power works.

Hillsborough didn't happen in Germany.

Perhaps Hillsborough wouldn't have happened in Germany due to their 'respect' for the fan.

However, if a disaster like that happened there, they would have done exactly what the authorities did here.

working class hero

by working class hero » 05 Feb 2007 19:55

If it's a corner or we're attacking and everyone stands, then bollocks to him.

So speaks the democratic voice. We'll have a vote and if we don't get what we want we'll ignore it....

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Standing on the terraces?

by LoyalRoyalFan » 01 Feb 2012 18:44

Mr Irascible There is a momentum behind the campaigns to get terraces returned to football with David Cameron now including it as prospective future Conservative government policy. Leaving aside any political comment please...if the club were to agree to introducing terraced areas where would be the preferred location? I am assuming on the grounds of safety that the West Upper is excluded along with any proposed stadium extensions.

:lol: Nice to see David Cameron doing this in 2012...

RFCMod

by RFCMod » 02 Feb 2012 07:56

If it ever happened the club would have to liase with us like they should have done when the Madejski was opened asking us where we'd like to sit trying to mirror Elm park,so in other words they should have asked if the South Bank should be in one place...etc
As long as people are'nt un-necessarily moved to accomodate this and the people in this area are happy for standing/seating combo then it'll work
Otherwise you'll get like all bloody away games some people moaning because they want to sit but everyone in front is standing...you know the types

Red
Hob Nob Regular

by Red » 02 Feb 2012 09:47

RFCMod If it ever happened the club would have to liase with us like they should have done when the Madejski was opened

The club would "have to" even though there is a precedent for them not having done so :?:

Doesn't follow.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 02 Feb 2012 09:50

It would almost certainly be North east corner if they were to ever do it I reckon.

As far away from both the away fans and the supposed family sections as they can would be my guess.

Dare to Dr£am
Hob Nob Regular

by Dare to Dr£am » 02 Feb 2012 10:45

South East Corner

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 02 Feb 2012 10:47

Vision It would almost certainly be North east corner if they were to ever do it I reckon.

As far away from both the away fans and the supposed family sections as they can would be my guess.

Ah yes but the shakers and movers and singers think it should be by consultation with them, and they would want it to be near the away end so they can taunt them. Oddly at EP the Southbank was most successful for noise when it was in the centre, prior to the central fence going in, when it moved down to the Reading End of the SB it became more of a flashpoint with the away twats. As the SB sang it often spread both ways from the centre, sometimes you even had the whole SB making a noise, and the same noise, rather than two different chants at the same time, like at the Madstad.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re:

by melonhead » 02 Feb 2012 10:48

Dirk Gently Indeed - even more telling in the "emotional" stakes is the fact that Richard Caborn, who is the minister responsible in this area, is a Sheffield MP.

It's very difficult to get past the "I was there the morning after Hillsborough, you weren't" response when trying to discuss this issue with him.

if hes looked at the new safe standing areas, and still says that, then he is a moron regardless of the emotions