Man City (A) players' gesture

124 posts
Mr Optimist
Hob Nob Regular

by Mr Optimist » 05 Nov 2007 15:45

This isn't meant as a criticsm but this discussion has just brought some memories back of away coach travel back in the 80's...

As a naive teenager going on the coaches in the mid 80s I remember the Coach 1 crowd hanging around the players entrance at away grounds...I would admire their desire to hang around, whatever the weather, and clap the players in to the changing rooms off the coach rather than getting shanted up in the pub like me and my chums...

It was some time later I realised that what they were actually doing was hanging around to try and ponce some "comp" tickets off the players on their way in to the ground.

The needless hour long stop at the services on the way back was also to allow the driver and a few others to have a fry up on expenses, rather than the need for us all to have a pee.

I agree with Schards in that the benefactors are those who would normally be going anyway but other than offering the money off the ticket price, I cannot think of a better way of doing things in this instance.

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 05 Nov 2007 15:52

Reading squad shells out for fans
By David Ornstein

Murty believes the cost of football is hitting the game's roots
Reading players will subsidise the trip for fans visiting Manchester City on 24 November - partly because of the club's inconsistent start to the season.

The Royals squad, currently 12th in the Premier League, have donated £5,000 to supporters heading to Eastlands.

Reading captain Graeme Murty told BBC Sport: "We know that at the moment we are massively inconsistent.

"It's not easy to justify spending so much money to watch us perform and this is giving something back to the fans."

Steve Coppell's side have endured a difficult beginning to their second season in the top flight and following their 3-1 defeat at Fulham on Saturday are only five points clear of the relegation zone.

"I would be lying if I said that the poor start didn't enter certain people's thinking," said Murty, who is in his 10th season at the Berkshire club.

"It can't be good going to places like Fratton Park and coming out after a 7-4 loss wearing a Reading shirt.

"But more than that there has been a growing realisation among the players of how expensive it is, especially for parents who bring their kids to a game."

Reading froze their season-ticket prices for the 2007-08 campaign yet they have to date seen attendances fall slightly. They now intend to recognise those who follow them around the country.

The first 350 fans who book the journey on the official supporters' trust coaches will pay £5 for their travel instead of the normal £20.

The move comes after a week in which the Sports Minister Gerry Sutcliffe claimed sky-high wages and ticket prices in top-flight football are alienating fans.

We feel, not guilty, but that we a have a little bit of responsibility towards that cost.

Murty pointed out that the subsidisation of travel may not become a regular offering but added: "We decided that it would be a nice gesture if we could get behind the fans the way they get behind us and try to alleviate that financial burden.

"The players had the ultimate say-so over whether we did it or not. It's not something we've been ordered to do, it's something that as a group of people we felt was right.

"We feel, not guilty, but that we a have a little bit of responsibility towards that cost. I'm not saying it's getting beyond a joke, the level of cost, but it certainly is almost taking the game away from its roots.

"If that eventuality ever comes to pass then football is going to be the only loser. If you take the game away from the common person in the street then football is going to go downhill from there on."

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Man City (A) players' gesture

by Forbury Lion » 05 Nov 2007 16:45

rob the royal so my thoughts? well firstly it's a nice gesture for the loyal fans who travel every week (as these people will DESERVEDLY be the ones who will get the £5 star coach tickets)
It costs £10 to join STAR so I can see a few new people joining as a result.

rob the royal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Man City (A) players' gesture

by rob the royal » 05 Nov 2007 17:17

Forbury Lion
rob the royal so my thoughts? well firstly it's a nice gesture for the loyal fans who travel every week (as these people will DESERVEDLY be the ones who will get the £5 star coach tickets)
It costs £10 to join STAR so I can see a few new people joining as a result.

i can't

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 05 Nov 2007 19:18

readingbedding Reading squad shells out for fans
By David Ornstein

Murty believes the cost of football is hitting the game's roots
Reading players will subsidise the trip for fans visiting Manchester City on 24 November - partly because of the club's inconsistent start to the season.

The Royals squad, currently 12th in the Premier League, have donated £5,000 to supporters heading to Eastlands.

Reading captain Graeme Murty told BBC Sport: "We know that at the moment we are massively inconsistent.

Reading froze their season-ticket prices for the 2007-08 campaign yet they have to date seen attendances fall slightly. They now intend to recognise those who follow them around the country.

Don't tell Woodcote :roll:

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 05 Nov 2007 19:58

Schards#2 I think discounting the ticket price for the first xxxx would be better and fairer

I suspect, Schards, that this might not actually be legally possible? I'd have thought tickets would need to be sold at face value. Moot point anyway; I have alreayd written to Murts and asked him for a contribution towards my inevitable visit to the buffet car.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 05 Nov 2007 20:08

floyd__streete
Schards#2 I think discounting the ticket price for the first xxxx would be better and fairer

I suspect, Schards, that this might not actually be legally possible? I'd have thought tickets would need to be sold at face value.

I think you're right. RFC would be selling tickets on behalf of Man City, and they have to sell them at the price specified by the home club, so they can't suddenly start discounting all or some of them.

It would also fall foul of League rules on ticket prices - which can't be priced differently for the same "standard of accomodation". So there's a couple of cans of worms which could potentially be opened there.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 05 Nov 2007 20:42

Charlton did this - and look what happened to them!!

It sends out negative vibes - softens everyone up knowing we are in serious trouble.

Its a bad move and a bad omen.

peeping_bernal

by peeping_bernal » 05 Nov 2007 21:42

Oh moan moan moan, should of done this, should of done that.
Well at least they realise that the fans pay to go and see them play sh*t away and this is a gesture, yes a gesture to say thanks for coming. By the end of the year the players will get their wives/partners to drive the ever depleating away support to the game foc, may even throw a nights B&B in in their family pad. ( PS I have booked my ride with one of Litas husseys as them seem to put out and let you film it for your mates)

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 05 Nov 2007 21:43

£9 on the train for me and I get to take in the sights of the Peak District. Got to be preferable to a panoramic view of Stoke on Trent from the discomfort of an M6 tailback.

Still, it's a welcome gesture from the players.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 06 Nov 2007 08:25

paultheroyal Charlton did this - and look what happened to them!!

It sends out negative vibes - softens everyone up knowing we are in serious trouble.

Charlton Football Club gave the fans free travel. Reading's players are giving some money towards the cost of travel. If you can't see how that's different then oh well...

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 06 Nov 2007 08:47

It's disappointing that some are criticising the players for, amongst other things, not being generous enough.

They didn't have to do anything and how many other teams (not the club they play for) have done this sort of thing?

As for encouraging more to attend - I thought the spirit behind this donation was to say thank you to those who have travelled to away games on a regular basis this season and had to put up with some pretty dire performances!

Ironic STAR members benefit (although I am one myself and I don't see how else it could have been arranged) when in my experience some of the most vocal boo boys and critics of the players during games are members of STAR and former stalwarts of the old RFSC!

PS Graham: Is there any chance you can run some on-line grammar classes to teach Nobbers the difference between 'should have' and 'should of'?! :wink:

That's 'Education, Education, Education' for you!!

Tart Man
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Tart Man » 06 Nov 2007 09:00

Dirk Gently
floyd__streete

I suspect, Schards, that this might not actually be legally possible? I'd have thought tickets would need to be sold at face value.

I think you're right. RFC would be selling tickets on behalf of Man City, and they have to sell them at the price specified by the home club, so they can't suddenly start discounting all or some of them.

It would also fall foul of League rules on ticket prices - which can't be priced differently for the same "standard of accomodation". So there's a couple of cans of worms which could potentially be opened there.

IIRC a couple of seasons ago Man Utd drew Northamton Town away in the FA CUP. Northamton massively raised their ticket prices for this game, and I believe Man Utd (or a supporter club) subsidised the increased cost of the away tickets to ensure that their fans weren't being ripped off. So it can be done...

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 06 Nov 2007 09:06

I think this rule must apply to the league only as I seem to remember the Reading tickets for Birmingham away being cheaper than the hometickets for some strange reason, and the locals being a tad miffed by it.

If reducing the ticket price can't be done then subsidising coach travel seems the only viable option. It just seems a shame that the way it's done is not going to attract a single person who wasn't going to go to actually go.

rob the royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rob the royal » 06 Nov 2007 11:27

Schards#2 It just seems a shame that the way it's done is not going to attract a single person who wasn't going to go to actually go.

this was the only point i was trying to make really and it's turned into a moaner vs anti-moaner thread as per usual :roll:

sorry my bad

Behindu
Hob Nob Regular

by Behindu » 06 Nov 2007 11:33

Let's be honest, if the players had offered to pay for match tickets, travel (chaffeur driven limo with pick up at your house), unlimited beers and overnight hotel for 3000 fans (or whatever the away allocation is) there would be people moaning that it was allowing people who didn;t go to every away game to benefit.

I'll be going to City but won;t benefit from the gesture. It's a nice gesture though but if they could guarantee a win then I'd happily let then have their £5k back !!

AF1
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Ya got guns, got guns too, what up son, do you wanna battle for cash and see who Sun Tzu?

by AF1 » 06 Nov 2007 11:43

Behindu Let's be honest, if the players had offered to pay for match tickets, travel (chaffeur driven limo with pick up at your house), unlimited beers and overnight hotel for 3000 fans (or whatever the away allocation is)

No brass for the night :?

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 06 Nov 2007 13:25

Stranded

Charlton Football Club gave the fans free travel. Reading's players are giving some money towards the cost of travel. If you can't see how that's different then oh well...

I will stand by my original post as nothing you have said there makes a blind bit of difference.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 06 Nov 2007 13:34

paultheroyal
Stranded

I will stand by my original post as nothing you have said there makes a blind bit of difference.

And nothing in your post suggests that these are negative vibes. You are taking it as such because you wish to.

Behindu
Hob Nob Regular

by Behindu » 06 Nov 2007 13:43

We aren;t in serious trouble.

It's November, we are 12th.

Derby are in a bit of trouble... everyon else is in less trouble

124 posts