Catering at the Madejski

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

Re: Catering at the Madejski

by RoyalBlue » 20 Jan 2008 11:25

66DD Something vegetarian would be a good idea.

Doubt you will find much meat in anything to be honest!!

Kurtz

by Kurtz » 21 Jan 2008 09:38

I was going to mail this to RFC but hope it might filter back to them via this thread.

Beer at the stadium:
I expect the beer to be expensive, and it is.
I expect the bitter to be poor, and it is.
I expect quite a few pints to be short, even thought they shouldn't be.

BUT, when the beer has frothed up over the top of the glass, I do NOT expect the beer server to use her finger to scrape the froth off the top of my pint. Some basic training in bar etiquette would be useful. (And yes she did speak English).

TommyF
Location: sitting on the dock of the bay, watching the royals sail away

by TommyF » 24 Jan 2008 13:53

Always amazed that you have the guys with Fosters before the game who then don't server at half time. Surely this is the best time for them!

I really don't care what food/refreshment is available at half time though as its unobtainable unless your willing to miss the last 5 mins of the first or first 15 of the second.

Chocolate vending machines, Fosters walkers etc would make this much easier.

cheeryoleary

Re:

by cheeryoleary » 24 Jan 2008 19:41

Dirk Gently
papereyes The idea about the zigzag queue should be implemented now.

I agree but I don't think it can be done.

With permanent barriers in place to control the "zig-zag" then there wouldn't be enough concourse width for evacuations etc.

No need for permanent barriers - just paint a zig zig snake on the floor so that people know where to queue. Take it a step further and have a "cashier number 5" system.

That said, the service is so shocking, I have stopped purchasing beer/pies from the club. I'm concerned that whilst the Oyster card idea is good - the low IQ twat behind the counter (no offense) will f*ck things up royally.

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 25 Jan 2008 13:07

I'd like to see more choice for vegetarians, tofu, nut roast, that sort of thing.

NWL Royal

by NWL Royal » 25 Jan 2008 15:09

While we're at it, why don't we have some tables/chairs and waitors (and or/ waitresses) in the concourse :roll:

AndyRFC
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by AndyRFC » 25 Jan 2008 15:14

Meat and Potato Pies

Russell Street

by Russell Street » 25 Jan 2008 16:10

Norfolk Royal I'd like to see more choice for vegetarians, tofu, nut roast, that sort of thing.

How about some carrot sticks?

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 25 Jan 2008 16:12

He could bring his own. If he ever went to more than one home game a season that is! :roll:

RFCMod

Re:

by RFCMod » 25 Jan 2008 22:24

premiership_bound They use this in the Alliance Arena in Munich. Does speed up time at the counters but the queues for the payment machines were huge.

Yeah but they're going to be linked with the Purple Turtle payment card system
So you can by your pie and pint at the ground and still use your card later down the Turtle
They're also thinking of linking the Oyster travel system with this card

Beelzebub

by Beelzebub » 25 Jan 2008 22:39

I want Pasties. Proper Cornish style Pasties. They are better than pies, as with a pie you bite one side and then it squirts brown liquid like filling out the other side all down your £40 Reading top.

I speak from experience. Please introduce Pasties

Beelzebub

by Beelzebub » 25 Jan 2008 22:41

Oh and Bovril. I always used to enjoy Bovril from the stand in the corner of the Tilehurst end.

playoffs or layoffs

by playoffs or layoffs » 26 Jan 2008 13:24

more intelligent pre-pouring of beer would mean less queueing and the club would sell more. I drink bitter and some more variety would be welcome. How about supporting some of our local breweries by putting on some decent ale? At least we'll have more chance of knowing what we're getting. I'm fed up of guessing how much water has been added to my pint each week. Plays havoc with knowing when I'm still safe to drive home :wink:

weybridgewanderer
Hob Nob Regular

by weybridgewanderer » 26 Jan 2008 23:38

Beelzebub Oh and Bovril. I always used to enjoy Bovril from the stand in the corner of the Tilehurst end.

they do bovril

Skin
Hob Nob Regular
Location: You are now about to witness the strength of street knowledge

by Skin » 27 Jan 2008 16:09

Beer vending machines, fill them with plastic bottles full of beer (several brands offer these), vend for £1.60, its half a pint afterall, = another way of cutting down on the extensive ques elsewhere in the concourse, sorted.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 27 Jan 2008 16:22

STAR should write the catering off as a lost cause and look to get the rules relaxed for fans wishing to bring their own drinks into the game..... currently bottles with tops are not permitted, so everyone takes the top off and puts it back on once inside. I believe this is to stop bottles with tops on being used as weopons but I maintain that I would rather be hit on the head with a bottle full of piss that has the lid screwed on than a bottle with no lid!

STAR should also get gaurantees that fans will be allowed to bring food and drink in (albeit in topless bottles) for the long term and not have the right removed in the same way that pubs and other eating outlets prevent you from eating anything not bought on site.

weybridgewanderer
Hob Nob Regular

by weybridgewanderer » 27 Jan 2008 16:52

Forbury Lion I believe this is to stop bottles with tops on being used as weopons

its nothing to do wiith weapons

its a health and safety issue

without the lid it will collapse if trod on

with the lid on it will roll causing the person standing on it to fall and infure themselves

Skin
Hob Nob Regular
Location: You are now about to witness the strength of street knowledge

by Skin » 27 Jan 2008 17:12

Skin Beer vending machines, fill them with plastic bottles full of beer (several brands offer these), vend for £1.60, its half a pint afterall, = another way of cutting down on the extensive ques elsewhere in the concourse, sorted.

OK, seeing as these bottles would be sold with lids if from a vending machine, some other way, eg an area, at half time, where they can be sold and lids removed, quick service, no pouring, basic English req'd, etc. The bookmakers area in the East Stand is an ideal area as its not used for anything at half time. Anything that reduces the ques elsewhere! Especially at HT.

Take the piss with the prices though and this idea wont be anywhere near as effective.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 27 Jan 2008 17:23

NWL Royal While we're at it, why don't we have some tables/chairs and waitors (and or/ waitresses) in the concourse :roll:

That would never work. It may be better, if you had some sort of ticket system, like at doctors surgeries. So, your sitting in the east stand, and you grab a ticket, say number 214. Then when it's read out, you stand up, a waiter comes over, and you say "one pint please". Much more effecient, and it would probably keep the concourse clear.

Skyline

by Skyline » 28 Jan 2008 09:59

Skin OK, seeing as these bottles would be sold with lids if from a vending machine, some other way, eg an area, at half time, where they can be sold and lids removed, quick service, no pouring, basic English req'd, etc. The bookmakers area in the East Stand is an ideal area as its not used for anything at half time.

The bookies area in the UWest (south part) already doubles up as a basic food servery, so I don't see a problem with this idea.