Fans buy out?

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Fans buy out?

by Forbury Lion » 23 Aug 2009 13:11

Mr Irascible so let's say we have a core fan base of 20,000...if every one stumps up £5,000 then we make it...can't see that happening...who's next with the bright ideas?
How about we buy Reading Town instead?

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 23 Aug 2009 13:15

Deathy
Ozymandias
Deathy

You involved me in that twatish post why?

Obvious I would have thought.

Football isn't like Championship Manager.

Wonderful. I play Championship Manager? No!

To be fair, you used to and I recall that thread about you complaining that you couldn't do things like expand the carpark or build a hotel.

Z175
Hob Nob Regular

by Z175 » 24 Aug 2009 18:29

Yeah as you show there the correct answer to
"WHERES THE MONEY GONE?" is the 31m we paid to our players to get us relegated.

RFC loses 6m a season in Championship, with a roughly 10m wage bill, as shown by 2004-5 and 2005-6
However in 2008-9 this wage bill must have been at least 20m, even with relegation clauses. So our loss would have been about 16m last season. This is where the parachute payments went.

We also show a 7/8m overdraft on relegation, this was presumably cleared by the sales of Kitson and Shorey.

So now we can start again. Its 2009-10, we have approximately 10m+ of transfer income and 16m of parachute payments
Our wage bill will now be less than in 2005-6.

We will still lose at least 6m a season in running costs, so we can use this 26m windfall to secure the long term future of the club, funding us until 2016! or spend it all tomorrow and demand Sir John Madejski finds 6m a year out of his shrinking fortune to increase that chairmans loan. (Bear in mind he won't live forever!)

So to the fans idea. SJM could use this money to pay back his loan and his investment, and generously sell to the fans for £0.

We could easily make up the 6m a year loss by DOUBLING season ticket prices. An extra £425 each from 12,000 people would give us the £5m necessary to break even! (No more hotel penthouse maintenance or other chairman vanities would save 1m).
Of course there would be no money to buy any players so we would probably be paying £900 a year to watch league 1 or 2!

Lets not forget that without John Madejski there would be no Reading FC. Even if when the next accounts come out in December they show that hes paid back his loan, he'll still be there to fund the next deficit.

So get behind the chairman, back the board, and support their sensible choices. We haven't been outclassed for 90 mins in any match, these youngster can compete, and yes we will spend a few million in the right areas. The tommy smith debacle does not mean that Madejski has withdrawn his support. It might be January or next summer before we're on the up again, but it'll feel better for the strugglers until then.

Z175
Hob Nob Regular

by Z175 » 24 Aug 2009 18:32

Z175 Yeah as you show there the correct answer to
"WHERES THE MONEY GONE?" is the 31m we paid to our players to get us relegated.

RFC loses 6m a season in Championship, with a roughly 10m wage bill, as shown by 2004-5 and 2005-6
However in 2008-9 this wage bill must have been at least 20m, even with relegation clauses. So our loss would have been about 16m last season. This is where the parachute payments went.

We also show a 7/8m overdraft on relegation, this was presumably cleared by the sales of Kitson and Shorey.

So now we can start again. Its 2009-10, we have approximately 10m+ of transfer income and 16m of parachute payments
Our wage bill will now be less than in 2005-6.

We will still lose at least 6m a season in running costs, so we can use this 26m windfall to secure the long term future of the club, funding us until 2016! or spend it all tomorrow and demand Sir John Madejski finds 6m a year out of his shrinking fortune to increase that chairmans loan. (Bear in mind he won't live forever!)

So to the fans idea. SJM could use this money to pay back his loan and his investment, and generously sell to the fans for £0.

We could easily make up the 6m a year loss by DOUBLING season ticket prices. An extra £425 each from 12,000 people would give us the £5m necessary to break even! (No more hotel penthouse maintenance or other chairman vanities would save 1m).
Of course there would be no money to buy any players so we would probably be paying £900 a year to watch league 1 or 2!

Lets not forget that without John Madejski there would be no Reading FC. Even if when the next accounts come out in December they show that hes paid back his loan, he'll still be there to fund the next deficit.

So get behind the chairman, back the board, and support their sensible choices. We haven't been outclassed for 90 mins in any match, these youngster can compete, and yes we will spend a few million in the right areas. The tommy smith debacle does not mean that Madejski has withdrawn his support. It might be January or next summer before we're on the up again, but it'll feel better for the struggles until then.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 24 Aug 2009 18:36

I beg to differ - we HAVE been outclassed in 90 minutes in a match.

Deathy
Hob Nob Regular

by Deathy » 24 Aug 2009 18:55

Forbury Lion To be fair, you used to and I recall that thread about you complaining that you couldn't do things like expand the carpark or build a hotel.

Feck me Forbes, that was 5 years ago :shock:

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 24 Aug 2009 19:03

2 things puzzle me.

Where does the loan to build the ground fall into all this? My understanding is the CLUB borrowed the £30m odd from a 3rd party, which was guaranteed by JM himself?

The bit down the bottom "Players Transfer Fees - Additions" did we really spend £9.4m?

Yellowcoat

by Yellowcoat » 24 Aug 2009 20:26

Not sure we would have taken many loans from elsewhere if the Chairman was willing to provide them on a cheaper basis. I think that a number of years ago he increased his share holdings against a reduction in the outstanding loan balance. This would have increased capital at the time. The figure you question is probably the amortised transfer costs for the year not the actual transfer fees paid out in the year. Trouble is far too many are slating SJM for things he has not done without any proper knowledge or understanding of the finances. The football club is making a loss year on year, except for a minor blip in the Premier seasons, so to expect reductions in ticket or car parking charges as some seem to want is obviously a non starter. Further income streams are required hence the investment in the hotel that RL is so against.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 25 Aug 2009 09:46

Why you keep mentioning me??

The hotel OWES Madejski £17 million in loans - so I can't see how it can "help" the football club - as the football club only owe him half that.

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 25 Aug 2009 10:10

We do have a Premier Media Centre tho.

Yellowcoat

by Yellowcoat » 25 Aug 2009 11:26

In response to RL the Hotel is still contributing around £5 million per annum to the general kitty. Not to be sniffed at considering the reduction in football income.

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 25 Aug 2009 11:29

What a lucky Kitty

Ups and Downs
Hob Nob Regular
Location: the piss artist not formerly known as scutterbucket

by Ups and Downs » 25 Aug 2009 11:41

I'm a bit confused by all this but from what I can gather Reading FC are no better off after 2 seasons in the Prem then they would have been out of it?

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 25 Aug 2009 11:49

Almost correct, our costs were higher as was our income, and we did make £12m from the two seasons, which is better than losses for every year before since JM took over.

ANd we beat Arsenal

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 25 Aug 2009 13:41

Harpers So Solid Crew Almost correct, our costs were higher as was our income, and we did make £12m from the two seasons, which is better than losses for every year before since JM took over.

ANd we beat Arsenal

When did that happen?

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 25 Aug 2009 13:48

Stranded
Harpers So Solid Crew Almost correct, our costs were higher as was our income, and we did make £12m from the two seasons, which is better than losses for every year before since JM took over.

ANd we beat Arsenal

When did that happen?

Reserve league.

Other than that....?

Mr Irascible

by Mr Irascible » 14 Sep 2009 13:09

STAR Liaison
Hob Nob Regular

by STAR Liaison » 14 Sep 2009 17:49

Ups and Downs I'm a bit confused by all this but from what I can gather Reading FC are no better off after 2 seasons in the Prem then they would have been out of it?

Correct - but think how much better off the players are.