Saturdays Game off?

183 posts
Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Saturdays Game off?

by Ian Royal » 06 Jan 2010 18:10

floyd__streete
ankeny The club are going to have to decide soon to stop the Newcastle players coming down,which would be Friday I presume

Oh, f*ck the players - they are paid to be there anyway, the twats. I'd feel a bit sorry for the Newcastle fans so they should make a decision before Saturday morning, although my source tells me that a decision could be made as early as tomorrow.....car parks inaccessible, apparently/unsurprsingly.

Personally, I'd make you all walk and the idea of postponing football when the pitch is fine for fear of some dopey prat slipping over on the way to the ground is just so namby-pamby 21st century H&S nanny-state it's untrue. Put me in charge and the world would be 1000% better.

I'd support that.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 06 Jan 2010 18:12

floyd__streete Put me in charge and the world would be 1000% better.

It would certainly be different !!

weybridgewanderer
Hob Nob Regular

by weybridgewanderer » 06 Jan 2010 19:18

Sun Tzu
ankeny Id love a thaw Sun because we cant get out of the house at the moment and Im running out of booze.The club are going to have to decide soon to stop the Newcastle players coming down,which would be Friday I presume

I wonder who does make the decision.

Presumably the ref (or a local ref) decides about the pitch.

The inside of the stadium is unlikely to be a problem (I guess snow could have accumulated inside the stands ?)

Does the stadium manager have a legal duty to decide if the RFC owned roads are safe ?

Who makes the call if the issue is local roads being unsafe and does that in fact have any role to play ? If the pitch and stadium facilities are safe can they go ahead even if maybe only a few hundred people can physically make it ? I've never heard of a game called off at a ground that itself was fine but surrounding areas were a problem.

Local ref decides on the pitch up to match day, and sometimes even on early moring inspections on match day
The "match commander" would like make a decision about the suitability of the clubs "footprint", the approach areas around the ground

T.R.O.L.I.
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 2 down, far right - Still recovering from the weekend's excesses

by T.R.O.L.I. » 06 Jan 2010 19:22

Sun Tzu
floyd__streete Put me in charge and the world would be 1000% better.

It would certainly be different !!

Yep - it would be a bloody misery :lol:

heathrow royal
Hob Nob Regular
Location: As seen on Soccer AM and somewhere between Heathrow and Southampton airport!!!

by heathrow royal » 06 Jan 2010 19:23

I know for a fact that the Newcastle team are flying down to Heathrow on friday afternoon as i'm dealing with the flight if it happens so watch this space

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 06 Jan 2010 19:44

Uninterrupted sunlight (which is forecasted) for the next couple of days should get the area up to standard.

Jerry St Clair
Hob Nob Regular

by Jerry St Clair » 06 Jan 2010 20:05

winchester_royal Uninterrupted sunlight (which is forecasted) for the next couple of days should get the area up to standard.

Even if the air temperature remains below freezing?

T.R.O.L.I.
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 2 down, far right - Still recovering from the weekend's excesses

by T.R.O.L.I. » 06 Jan 2010 21:47

Jerry St Clair
winchester_royal Uninterrupted sunlight (which is forecasted) for the next couple of days should get the area up to standard.

Even if the air temperature remains below freezing?

Not forgetting that the winter sun doesn't get as high in the sky as it does in the summer so the approaches to the North Stand, Ticket Office and Megastore will be lucky to see any sun at all.

Nobby

by Nobby » 06 Jan 2010 21:59

What would really help would be if the club would give some idea what the thinking is on the official site.

Maybe:

State when a decision will be made.
Show some pics of inside the stadium.
Show pics of the surrounding area and car parks.
Brief interview with Ray Booth would be interesting.

Might be more use than the non-stories on the site at the moment.

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 07 Jan 2010 02:04

As long as a decision is made before I'm due to board my train Saturday morning I'll be relatively happy, although it could be a wasted train fare down the drain :x

Compo's Hat
Hob Nob Regular

by Compo's Hat » 07 Jan 2010 02:26

Thinking back to a couple of weeks ago, the snow machines the club used did an excellent job so i fully expect the game will be on come Saturday.

Just allow yourself extra time for the journey folks and...

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 07 Jan 2010 08:24

Doubt the council will grit the roads so game will deffo be off. I'm still waiting for them to clear the snow around here and grit the road. Still it's only been 40 hours or so since all that snow came down....

Jerry St Clair
Hob Nob Regular

by Jerry St Clair » 07 Jan 2010 09:24

This game could be on if the authorities get their act together and clear the immediate environs of the stadium. Public transport is now running pretty reliably, so no excuse really. If it's off, it'll be because of a lack of will.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 07 Jan 2010 10:17

There's more snow due though - won't that exacerbate problems? And even if it doesn't, the icy conditions predicted from now until middle of next week will mean that walking in vicinity of stadium will be difficult. I don't see why the club can't say a decision will be made by 9.00am tomorrow morning or something (esp as NFC are flying down tomorrow).

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 07 Jan 2010 10:26

The undersoil heating and covers means the pitch will be ok, they have said that the machines will be clearing the car parks and stadium roads yesterday and today. So it appears that they are planning for the game to go ahead.

URZZZZZZZZ
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Long knocks it back in.............IT'S READING WHO TAKE A MASSIVE STEP TOWARDS WEMBLEY!!

by URZZZZZZZZ » 07 Jan 2010 10:35

Just spoken to someone at the ticket office, and he seemed pretty sure that the game will go ahead as normal if that helps?

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 07 Jan 2010 10:51

URZZZZZZZZ Just spoken to someone at the ticket office, and he seemed pretty sure that the game will go ahead as normal if that helps?

Now for folk moaning about getting to the stadium.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 07 Jan 2010 11:04

Royal Lady There's more snow due though - won't that exacerbate problems? And even if it doesn't, the icy conditions predicted from now until middle of next week will mean that walking in vicinity of stadium will be difficult. I don't see why the club can't say a decision will be made by 9.00am tomorrow morning or something (esp as NFC are flying down tomorrow).

Not for Reading there isn't.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 07 Jan 2010 11:23

winchester_royal
Royal Lady There's more snow due though - won't that exacerbate problems? And even if it doesn't, the icy conditions predicted from now until middle of next week will mean that walking in vicinity of stadium will be difficult. I don't see why the club can't say a decision will be made by 9.00am tomorrow morning or something (esp as NFC are flying down tomorrow).

Not for Reading there isn't.

Are you 100% sure about that??

URZZZZZZZZ
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Long knocks it back in.............IT'S READING WHO TAKE A MASSIVE STEP TOWARDS WEMBLEY!!

by URZZZZZZZZ » 07 Jan 2010 11:28

Isn't the next big snowfall on Sunday?

183 posts