A bit worrying

1418 posts
Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 24 Sep 2007 13:54

What's our highest average attendance in the Championship other than the season we won it?

16K? 17K?

I'm sure building the extention won't bankrupt us but huge swathes of empty seats are not good for morale or atmosphere. Seeing an entire tier closed at Elland Road last time we played there was a depressing sight.

The extention only makes any sense whatsoever if we remain in the Premiership.

Baines
Hob Nob Regular

by Baines » 24 Sep 2007 14:09

A small extension of 5-6,000 makes perfect sense as part of the brick-by-brick building process (literally in this instance) that the club has gone through over the past 15 years.

It enables more fans to attend big games, it gives the club more scope to offer deals to increase attendances at smaller games. It also means that casual fans are more likely to attend as, I know from people I've spoken to, the sell-out crowds of last season, have made several 5 or 6 games a season punters believe that there's no point thinking about attending a game without several weeks planning.

The more fans at big games means more revenue immediately. The other two plus points are important elements in building the club up over the long term.

zac naloen

by zac naloen » 24 Sep 2007 14:11

Schards#2 What's our highest average attendance in the Championship other than the season we won it?

16K? 17K?

I'm sure building the extention won't bankrupt us but huge swathes of empty seats are not good for morale or atmosphere. Seeing an entire tier closed at Elland Road last time we played there was a depressing sight.

You don't think they are still going to expand the stadium if we get relegated do you? :?

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 24 Sep 2007 14:14

Schards#2 extention only makes any sense whatsoever if we remain in the Premiership.

Only?

If we were to get relegated but bounced back well we would frequently get more than 24k in the Championship.

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 24 Sep 2007 14:22

zac naloen
Schards#2 What's our highest average attendance in the Championship other than the season we won it?

16K? 17K?

You don't think they are still going to expand the stadium if we get relegated do you? :?

I don't think we would or should but plenty of others do.

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 24 Sep 2007 14:28

Platypuss
Schards#2 extention only makes any sense whatsoever if we remain in the Premiership.

Only?

If we were to get relegated but bounced back well we would frequently get more than 24k in the Championship.

It's possible but i'm not certain. Last time had an unchartered territory feel about it which wouldn't be there a second time round.

There are very few clubs that sustain attendances above 24K and I wonder if Reading can season in season out. The rest of this season will be telling, we are unlikely to perform as well as last year so the gates will be a good indication of how much of the new support, garnered in the two most successful years in our history, sticks when the going gets tougher.

Dr Hfuhruhurr

by Dr Hfuhruhurr » 24 Sep 2007 14:39

16K? 17K?

No-one likes to see empty seats, but it isnt the end of the world. I just feel a 30k stadium would serve more purpose than a 25k stadium, and Id be prepared to take the sacrifice of a block of empty seats if needs be.

Whatsmore, on a more obtuse note, having the expansion on the agenda [and I dont know whether we're contracted to it or not] gives the Reading Board more incentive to help us stay up.

Spirit of Elm Park

by Spirit of Elm Park » 24 Sep 2007 14:53

My head tells me that relegation would be the end of any expansion, but I think you have to look slightly out of the box. You would not only be talking about increased revenue from the footballing aspect. You have increased revenue from other areas, such as being used for international events on the football and rugby side of things, concerts and other events which could use the stadium.

You only have to look at the results released by Arsenal yesterday to see the effect of increased revenue. OK, so they may have had the fan base to accomodate the increase, but there is no reason to suggest that if pricing, experience and entertainment are all set correctly we could not fill a 38000 seater stadium at least 25% of the time. The difference being, with our lack of spending in the transfer market, there is a good chance that a large percentage of the cost of expansion has already been put to one side allowing us to reap the benefits at an earlier rather than later stage.

At the end of the day, we spend our time on a forum talking codshit about why our club isn't the same, how it used to be, who's shaggin' who etc, while a team of highly motivated, highly skilled proffessionals are very carefully planning the next step of Reading FC's rise into the Elite of the English and eventually world game. If they weren't doing that I would be worried, and the club would be languishing in Div 1 along with the other clubs who are just happy being there.

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 24 Sep 2007 15:36

At this moment in time, expanding to 30,000 makes perfect sense regardless of whether we are playing Championship or Premiership football. It shouldn't affect our transfer budget with increased parachute payments for the first 2 seasons in the Championship (should we get relegated). The likelyhood is we're going to lose the likes of Shorey and Lita eventually so in today's transfer market will make a mint on those 2 players in particular.

As others have pointed out and the question that will hang around if whether an expansion to 38,000 is right, which remains to be seen.

But going on current ground capacities in the Premiership, 30,000 would see us match the likes of Birmingham and Blackburn while giving us an advantage over Bolton, Fulham, Portsmouth and Wigan.

30,000 also sees us allow give away teams 3,000 away seats which will easily be sold by at least 6 or 7 away sides. It just remains to be seen if Pat Coyne & his staff can properly market the remaining empty seats on a game by game basis.

SWLR
Hob Nob Regular

by SWLR » 24 Sep 2007 19:10

RG 30 - agreed

Saved me some typing, ta

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 24 Sep 2007 19:37

If we get relegated, just give away fans the entire North Stand and reallocate the Reading fans to the new seats. That should see us with good attendances as we will be a big draw for about a season.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 25 Sep 2007 15:49

Only 10k STHs took up their seats for tonight, having sold 4k to Liverpool fans the other 8K of the 22K attendance must be [mainly] people taking the opportunity to go to a game as they can't normally get a ticket. Is this evidence that the extension is a good idea?

AF1
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Ya got guns, got guns too, what up son, do you wanna battle for cash and see who Sun Tzu?

by AF1 » 25 Sep 2007 15:54

Silver Fox Only 10k STHs took up their seats for tonight, having sold 4k to Liverpool fans the other 8K of the 22K attendance must be [mainly] people living in reading who support Liverpool. Is this evidence that the extension is a good idea?

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 25 Sep 2007 15:59

That was the rebuttal I expected, hence the [mainly] we'll see tonight I guess

AF1
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Ya got guns, got guns too, what up son, do you wanna battle for cash and see who Sun Tzu?

by AF1 » 25 Sep 2007 16:00

If there's not a flurry of 'Liverpool fans in the East Stand' etc threads tomorrow I shall buy a hat and eat it.

Sharpy
Hob Nob Regular

by Sharpy » 25 Sep 2007 16:59

lol at the stadium artist impression computer graphics in pre match video montage :lol:

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 25 Sep 2007 23:44

So, if only 10k STH's took up the option to buy their seats for tonight yet we still came close to selling out a televised cup tie, on top of a similar turn out just a few days earlier for those crowd pullers from Wigan :P ........................should we stop fretting about attendances and concentrate on making sure the builders turn up on time :?

The club decides to remove the charge for member cards and nearly 47k turn up in 4 days..................................not quite general sale but it worked!!!!

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 25 Sep 2007 23:51

Woodcote Royal So, if only 10k STH's took up the option to buy their seats for tonight yet we still came close to selling out a televised cup tie, on top of a similar turn out just a few days earlier for those crowd pullers from Wigan :P ........................should we stop fretting about attendances and concentrate on making sure the builders turn up on time :?

The club decides to remove the charge for member cards and nearly 47k turn up in 4 days..................................not quite general sale but it worked!!!!

While i agree that we should expand and i agree with you Woodcote more than the Schards view, I would say a LOT of people in the home ends tonight were not supporting Reading.

I know many friends who are southern armchair Liverpool fans who went tonight, and the amount of red shirts under coats i saw near me tonight was not pleasing.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 25 Sep 2007 23:57

I didn't notice as many as I expected to but there were bound to be quite a few.

However, in some ways it doesn't matter that much.

Even with a lot of apathy from STH's we still came close to selling out an attractive fixture that people could have watched at home or in the pub................a very impressive turn out regardless that bodes well for the future.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 26 Sep 2007 10:16

YEs, there were Liverpool fans in the home seats but unless they were all very good at sitting on their hands as Torres toyed with us I wouldn't even call them a sizeable minority of the 8K I earlier estimated we sold to non-regulars last night.

I think it's time for this argument to be drawn to a close and book some builders

1418 posts