Stadium Expansion

1747 posts
Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 23 Feb 2007 15:21

Ooo Trevor Morley I am slightly concerned about the media area being at the back of the East Stand as it might possibly lead to a crackdown on rude, sweary songs, which may be picked up rather too clearly on the commentators' microphones. I think, hopefully, the extension of Y25/Y26 will be the loudest, naughtiest and most likely to be allowed to stand, area of the ground, and I hope the club doesn't get too strict due to its proximity to the new media area.

It's perhaps a silly concern to have; I am very excited about expanding to 38,000, as we certainly have a large enough catchment area, and at present the club is unable to benefit from an expansion in our level of support having reached the premiership, due to our limited stadium capacity.

Print and radio media will be in their current place at the back of Upper West - the top of the East will be a "permanent" TV studio (i.e. built in and not on scaffolding stilts), with a gantry for cameras under the roof.

This is bacause the compund for TV lorries etc will be behind the East Stand, where the hillside is being built out more to extend the area there.

Cable-runs under the road, before anyone asks.

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 23 Feb 2007 15:24

The one thing that always baffled me, was they never converted the South East corner behind the glass into the TV studio.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 23 Feb 2007 16:12

Huntley & Palmer The one thing that always baffled me, was they never converted the South East corner behind the glass into the TV studio.

There is no glass in the south/east corner.

Coppelled Streets
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Coppelled Streets » 23 Feb 2007 16:30

Wycombe Royal
Huntley & Palmer The one thing that always baffled me, was they never converted the South East corner behind the glass into the TV studio.

South West corner per chance?

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 23 Feb 2007 16:43

Coppelled Streets
Wycombe Royal

Obviously. :roll:

Coppelled Streets
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Coppelled Streets » 23 Feb 2007 16:44

Wycombe Royal
Coppelled Streets
Wycombe Royal

Obviously. :roll:

You!!! :wink:

Rhys The Royal

by Rhys The Royal » 23 Feb 2007 17:09

John Motson said he liked the angle that the commentators seats are in the Upper West. We should listen to him and keep it there I think. Keep the East Stand for just seats.

Whore Jackie
Hob Nob Regular

by Whore Jackie » 26 Feb 2007 09:57

From what I recall the South West corner was originally going to be another hospitality/bar/restaurant area. But there wasn't the demand, in those days, and they converted it into offices for the marketing department.

It's only been in the last few years that they've changed the North West corner into a proper hospitality area. I'd imagine they'll shift the offices over to the East Stand and reinstigate the hospitality function with the forthcoming stadium expansion.

AJ~
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by AJ~ » 26 Feb 2007 10:31

Dirk Gently
Ooo Trevor Morley I am slightly concerned about the media area being at the back of the East Stand as it might possibly lead to a crackdown on rude, sweary songs, which may be picked up rather too clearly on the commentators' microphones. I think, hopefully, the extension of Y25/Y26 will be the loudest, naughtiest and most likely to be allowed to stand, area of the ground, and I hope the club doesn't get too strict due to its proximity to the new media area.

It's perhaps a silly concern to have; I am very excited about expanding to 38,000, as we certainly have a large enough catchment area, and at present the club is unable to benefit from an expansion in our level of support having reached the premiership, due to our limited stadium capacity.

Print and radio media will be in their current place at the back of Upper West - the top of the East will be a "permanent" TV studio (i.e. built in and not on scaffolding stilts), with a gantry for cameras under the roof.

This is bacause the compund for TV lorries etc will be behind the East Stand, where the hillside is being built out more to extend the area there.

While a silly and pointless thing to "worry" about I hope they'll still keep the hard cam in the West Stand and just have the additional camera in the East like at present. Wouldn't seem right watching games and highlights on TV from the East view after all these years!

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 26 Feb 2007 11:10

AJ~
Dirk Gently

While a silly and pointless thing to "worry" about I hope they'll still keep the hard cam in the West Stand and just have the additional camera in the East like at present. Wouldn't seem right watching games and highlights on TV from the East view after all these years!

That could be interesting for the commentators if they are on the East Stand and the pictures are coming from the West Stand. You can just hear the mess ups as they refer to play going from right to left as we watch it develop from left to right!

AJ~
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by AJ~ » 26 Feb 2007 11:23

West Stand Man
AJ~
Dirk Gently

That could be interesting for the commentators if they are on the East Stand and the pictures are coming from the West Stand. You can just hear the mess ups as they refer to play going from right to left as we watch it develop from left to right!

:lol: This is true. Right at the top of the new East stand really doesn't seem the best place for commentators all the same though, that's going to be a hell of a long way up. Won't be as easy for player identifying.

coyrls

by coyrls » 26 Feb 2007 11:42

AJ~
West Stand Man
AJ~
Dirk Gently

:lol: This is true. Right at the top of the new East stand really doesn't seem the best place for commentators all the same though, that's going to be a hell of a long way up. Won't be as easy for player identifying.

Are we talking about the commentator's position here, or are we talking about a replacement for the temporary studio that gets put up in the South Stand? I thought it was the latter, in which case I shouldn't think the commentator's position would need to change.

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 26 Feb 2007 18:06

Being a sad git with some time on his hands I've just read the planning application. I was surprised at how vague, repetitive and in places incoherent it is. My concern was about access when there are 50% more people. Some highlights:

- The club plans to increase bus use from 21% to nearly 50% of supporters, and will make space to park nearly 100 buses (taking over existing parking)

- There is talk of bus subsides to increase bus use but no specific numbers, given the price of current match day buses it needs a quantum change in subsidies. Currently for me and 2 kids it would cost over £10, thats why I drive. STHs will get prebook ticket offers when they renew.

- Incentives for car shares. A good idea but i think most people already do.

- There is no extra provision for people crossing the A33. The current arrangement were put in place when we were averaging 12k gates, I really think they need a tunnel or a bridge as its a real safety issue with too many people not enough pavement, and now more buses.

- They mention using the future train station and putting on special services but there is no mention of access, i.e a rear exit or how long/far the walk would be.

All in all I thought it was too vague, the policy seems to be everyone can get a bus. IMHO a "modal shift" of transport will require a equivalent modal shift in bus fares and service improvements

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 26 Feb 2007 20:48

PieEater - They mention using the future train station and putting on special services but there is no mention of access, i.e a rear exit or how long/far the walk would be.

Obviously not quite enough of a sad git! :wink:

p57:

Green Park Railway Station

Planning permission has been granted for a new railway station at Green Park. The station would be within walking distance of the stadium and is due to open in 2008. The station will be on the Reading to Basingstoke line and will initially be served by a 30 minute service with proposals to increase to a 15 to 20 minute service as demand increases. These services could be used by supporters and subject to capacity, matchday special services could be feasible. Discussions with train operators will be pursued to try and provide these.

Pedestrian and Cycle Facilities

A pedestrian link from Green Park to the stadium provides access between the stadium and the new railway station at Green Park to be completed in 2008. A link between the new railway station and Green Park will be provided by the Kennet Valley Park development. The existing walkway delivers pedestrians to the site entrance at Northern Way. The Club will improve this with a new, more direct, footpath adjacent Foudry Brook that will deliver spectators on site in the vicinity of the Car Park 2.

Coppelled Streets
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Coppelled Streets » 26 Feb 2007 20:59

Excellent news. That train station will make a massive difference!

bb0118
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by bb0118 » 27 Feb 2007 14:38

Finally! The muddy slope to and from GP should go!!

Diamond

by Diamond » 02 Mar 2007 14:51

news re planning application acceptance/rejection due any time now?

ScottishRoyal

by ScottishRoyal » 02 Mar 2007 15:49

Diamond news re planning application acceptance/rejection due any time now?

Late March if I remember rightly. All the information is on the planning site though.

M4 Junction 11
Hob Nob Regular

by M4 Junction 11 » 09 Mar 2007 09:39

The club should be thinking about moving the away support to a corner after the expansion. Anyone know why the bigger grounds do this rather than put the away support behind the goal?

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 09 Mar 2007 10:22

M4 Junction 11 The club should be thinking about moving the away support to a corner after the expansion. Anyone know why the bigger grounds do this rather than put the away support behind the goal?

That would play merry hell with segregation - which needs to be done on the concourses as well as in the stands, of course.

At the moment this is done by a divider that lets them segregate half of the South Stand, with all facilities duplicated across both halves.

Trying to give a corner section and segregate that off would mean two dividers (East & South stands) and there'd be minimal concourse space unless they lost the tunnel access at the East/South junction.

I think it's by historical accident at some grounds, just because of the order that they've built stands, but not easily possible at the MadStad and what would be the advantage of it?

1747 posts