Stadium Expansion

1747 posts
Coppelled Streets
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Coppelled Streets » 14 Mar 2007 15:42

Dirk Gently But would you pay extra to stand?

According to the Green Guide, more space must be allowed for standing spectators than seated ones. So any standing would reduce capacity and therefore reduce income - unless people were prepared to pay more to stand.

I'd be more that happy to pay more!

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 14 Mar 2007 15:48

Coppelled Streets

According to the Green Guide, more space must be allowed for standing spectators than seated ones. So any standing would reduce capacity and therefore reduce income - unless people were prepared to pay more to stand.

I'd be more that happy to pay more!

Me too - but many wouldn't. I've put a poll in General Football to this effect.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 14 Mar 2007 17:35

Hang on a moment though; the Mad Stad offers far more leg room per seat than most stadiums so maybe if we removed seats there would already be enough room available to comply with the Green Guide.

STAR Liaison
Hob Nob Regular

by STAR Liaison » 15 Mar 2007 13:42

RoyalBlue

Hang on a moment though; the Mad Stad offers far more leg room per seat than most stadiums so maybe if we removed seats there would already be enough room available to comply with the Green Guide.

That is the trouble, when standing you need more room shoulder to shoulder and as the steps between rows is wider than on the terraces they would allow fewer standing than sitting as they would only allow one person per step even if they removed the seats. Whether you agree or not that is the way the rules are interpreted at the moment. This is why the FLA are going to insist that next time ManU come to the Mad Stad RFC will have to hold back one seat in 10 (I think that is the number) because their supporters insist on standing and the rules means that the capacity has to be reduced - hence Dirk's comment on it costing more.

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 15 Mar 2007 13:47

Do your shoulders grow in width when standing in front of a seat as opposed to standing without one there? Saying you need more shoulder room seems preposterous

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by RoyalBlue » 15 Mar 2007 13:48

starliaison
RoyalBlue

That is the trouble, when standing you need more room shoulder to shoulder and as the steps between rows is wider than on the terraces they would allow fewer standing than sitting as they would only allow one person per step even if they removed the seats. Whether you agree or not that is the way the rules are interpreted at the moment. This is why the FLA are going to insist that next time ManU come to the Mad Stad RFC will have to hold back one seat in 10 (I think that is the number) because their supporters insist on standing and the rules means that the capacity has to be reduced - hence Dirk's comment on it costing more.

But I wasn't just referring to the removal of seats - I would expect the terracing to be modified too.

Interesting what you say about the FLA and ManU - conclusive proof that standing per se is not more dangerous.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 15 Mar 2007 14:22

RoyalBlue But I wasn't just referring to the removal of seats - I would expect the terracing to be modified too.

I can really see the club doing that having just spent millions on expanding the stadium.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by RoyalBlue » 15 Mar 2007 17:52

Wycombe Royal
RoyalBlue But I wasn't just referring to the removal of seats - I would expect the terracing to be modified too.

I can really see the club doing that having just spent millions on expanding the stadium.

I wasn't suggesting that, rather discussing the principle in theory.

However, have I missed something? The stadium has already been expanded? Looking forward to seeing the results this Saturday!

In other words, could perhaps still be done if there was a change in thinking.

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 15 Mar 2007 18:10

how about they are able to supply 6000 safe standing spaces, at close to pitch level, at £30 a ticket, then start the seats at £35 a ticket?

Supply and demand rules.

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 15 Mar 2007 18:36

Huntley & Palmer Do your shoulders grow in width when standing in front of a seat as opposed to standing without one there? Saying you need more shoulder room seems preposterous
exactly. Anyone saying people take up more room standing than sitting has long since abandoned the realms of rational debate and is just making things up to try and justify their position.

Royal Spangle

by Royal Spangle » 15 Mar 2007 19:05

I like sitting down ......Thats all

roland*

by roland* » 15 Mar 2007 19:45

Royal Spangle I like sitting down ......Thats all

But you can appreciate that some people might want to stand, right? The whole argument is about choice. As someone who wants to stand for the majority, if not all the game, I am being denied my choice. I

f the majority of people in the seated section wanted to stand, then the minority would be denied their choice of being able to sit down AND still see the game.

In order to resolve this situation the only answer I can see is that there are two sections, one for seating, one for standing. I just don't udnerstand why people who don't want to stand need to get involved, such a policy would not affect them so what is the problem?

If anything those who wish to sit for the entire game, like the utter cnuter who sits behind me, should be encouraging a policy of providing an area that caters for those who might toehrwise be getting in the way of their view.

Royal Monk

by Royal Monk » 15 Mar 2007 22:16

Do you guys stand up when watching the tv at home in the evening ?

AbovetheI
Hob Nob Regular

by AbovetheI » 15 Mar 2007 22:30

Yes. When the football is on. I'm not sure what you do when Dancing on Ice is on.

shadesrwrf
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by shadesrwrf » 15 Mar 2007 22:41

Royal Monk Do you guys stand up when watching the tv at home in the evening ?

I'd love you to explain how the two experiences are in any way remotely similar.

Winchester Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Winchester Royal » 15 Mar 2007 23:10

Do you always sit down when you're taking a leak?

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 15 Mar 2007 23:33

This discussion about standing is a complete waste of time.

I am 90% certain that no premiership club will allow/encourage standing in their stadiums.

I am 100% certain that RFC will not allow/encourage standing in their stadium.

And no, I wouldn't pay an extra £50 a season or something similar to stand. As much as I enjoy it, I already pay enough and struggle with that amount as it is.

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 16 Mar 2007 02:55

Winchester Royal

But I don't suppose he takes a leak while watching football - either in the stadium or on TV. Hope that helps?

It is a valid question. Do you stand in the living room to watch footy on the TV?

Rob-Royal

by Rob-Royal » 16 Mar 2007 08:40

West Stand Man
Winchester Royal

But I don't suppose he takes a leak while watching football - either in the stadium or on TV. Hope that helps?

It is a valid question. Do you stand in the living room to watch footy on the TV?

Yep, I have and on various occasions too...

Crystal Palace away last season after we equalised for the last 10 mins or so....England/Argentina friendly in Geneva a year or so ago - I was up & down out of my chair like nobodys business! There are others too I could mention.....

It's called passion, getting involved, excited......does that mean anything to you?

Winchester Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Winchester Royal » 16 Mar 2007 08:47

West Stand Man
Winchester Royal

No, watching on the TV is passive, because you just watch, and watching at the game is active, because you support your team too. Its completely different, and you know it...

1747 posts