Season Tick Renewal - What's Going On!

605 posts
Bob Smith

Re: Season Tick Renewal - What's Going On!

by Bob Smith » 16 Feb 2011 10:20

Drew_3 Just emailed the club with this for what its worth:

Dear Sir/Madam

I have just seen on your website that current season ticket holders have until the 28th of April to renew their ticket, after this date it goes on general sale. As you are well aware in previous years we have had until July to renew our seats, I find this new arrangement quite unacceptable, to expect people to pay for next year before the current season has finished is totally unfair. I do accept that if you want next years ticket at this seasons price then you have to renew before the end of April, but not that if you want your seat at all. Sir John Madjeski keeps reminding fans that we are in a recession and that finances are tight, perhaps he would do as well to remember this himself and realise that it affects us as well as himself!

Yours Faithfully

One disgruntled Loyal Royal

There will be many of you that find this petty and silly but sometimes people feel that strongly about something!

Any reply yet?

RoyalJames101
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyalJames101 » 16 Feb 2011 10:22

Sir Rodger Doyle Mmmm. I smell cash flow problems.

Why would they offer the chance of paying installments then? Surely they wouldn't offer that if they need the money now? :roll:

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 16 Feb 2011 10:33

Personally, I don't object to the club offering renewals at one privce before a certail date and at another afterwards, it's up to them to market their product how they wishes.

What I do object to is my seat being on open sale if I don't renew by 28th April. Like many others, i'm sure, I have sat in the same seat since the stadium was opened, it's next to relatives and I wouldn't want to change. The only way to avoid it changing it seems, is to pay three months or so in advance.

I find it remarkable that some people can't see anything wrong with the club holding a gun to your head in this way.

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 16 Feb 2011 11:17

Schards#2 Personally, I don't object to the club offering renewals at one privce before a certail date and at another afterwards, it's up to them to market their product how they wishes.

What I do object to is my seat being on open sale if I don't renew by 28th April. Like many others, i'm sure, I have sat in the same seat since the stadium was opened, it's next to relatives and I wouldn't want to change. The only way to avoid it changing it seems, is to pay three months or so in advance.

I find it remarkable that some people can't see anything wrong with the club holding a gun to your head in this way.

Have been a season ticket holder just once in my life thanks to work commitments/uni etc so obviously can't fully appreciate where some are coming from.

That being said, if you're so attached to your seat, what is going to change between April 28 and say June 15 that will make you want to buy/not to buy a season ticket.

I do think it's a bit tight of the club, but don't exactly see it as an outrage.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 16 Feb 2011 11:35

Well, maybe people budget their money according to what and when they need to pay out. Stupidly, we assumed that we wouldn't need to pay for our 2 adult and one 17-21 ST until beginning of June to secure our seat. We now have to find all the money a lot earlier. And no, we don't want to pay by instalments and incur another £15 in admin costs, because we're not saving any money on the seat price that way.

If you can't see the problem, fair enough - but it doesn't mean there isn't a problem for some. The main gripe is having to secure your ST seat so soon.

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 16 Feb 2011 11:41

Wimb
Schards#2 Personally, I don't object to the club offering renewals at one privce before a certail date and at another afterwards, it's up to them to market their product how they wishes.

Have been a season ticket holder just once in my life thanks to work commitments/uni etc so obviously can't fully appreciate where some are coming from.

That being said, if you're so attached to your seat, what is going to change between April 28 and say June 15 that will make you want to buy/not to buy a season ticket.

I do think it's a bit tight of the club, but don't exactly see it as an outrage.

Firstly, I'd like to apologise for the appalling typing on the first sentance of my earlier post :oops:

Nothing's going to change for me, I just think it's unfair to force people to pay for a product 3 months in advance of using it.

Financially I can live with but many people will not be able to and be forced out of seats that they consider to be 'theirs' having sat in it for years. My dad sits next to me and my brother, and is a pensioner, he has the choice of paying 3 months in advance or having to sit somewhere else. That just seems wrong to me.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 16 Feb 2011 11:45

It's asking for what is a substantial financial outlay for many (especially considering the traditional demographics of football fans) well in advance of when they might've been budgeting for it.

As much as I disagree with them taking this route I just don't get why the club aere doing it. It again calls into question some of the decisions those in power at the club are making.

STAR??? Where are you on this one?

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 16 Feb 2011 12:07

I've emailed the club also now. Will let you know if I get a response.

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 16 Feb 2011 12:26

Well done RL, no amount of chat here will help, but asking why you need to secure your seat so early is the way to get it changed.

If it was my ST and a seat I had been in since the stadium opened and I had paid every season I would be asking more than just customer servies, I would be in contact with N Howe, and just about everyone that should make these decisions and let them know, right up to JM himself. And would do it by email and letter, I think it stinks and am on the side of most on here.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 16 Feb 2011 12:39

This is what I sent:

I note, with some annoyance, that in order to secure our ST seat for the 10th year running, we are having to part with our money by 28 April 2011, when, in the past, it has been in the close season and nearer to first week in June. Can you explain why it is necessary to do it so early this year? Having sat in my seat for years, I’m now given just a few weeks to find the money to pay for it, some 3 months before the NEXT season even starts.

Are some people not still paying off THIS season’s ST, whether by instalments via yourselves or, perhaps they bought it on a credit card and are paying off a certain amount every month?

I know that with the current economic climate, times are hard – but this also extends to the fans. Could you please confirm the reasoning behind this.

I would have suggested, if you need to know that you have a certain amount of income coming in by way of Season Tickets, that you ask your customers (for that is what we are) to pay, perhaps, a non-refundable amount of £50 to secure your season ticket seat by 28 April 2011, with the balance to be paid by early June, as in previous years. You would then have a fairly good idea of how much ST money you are likely to be receiving by this date and can budget accordingly.

I would not be surprised if a number of people did not bother to renew season tickets due to this, as we are being treated rather shoddily, considering that without us, the fans, there would be no football club to speak of.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Somewhat stroppy, I'll grant you - but I think the club need to remember who we actually are!!

TFF
Hob Nob Addict

by TFF » 16 Feb 2011 12:51

Fair play RL

As I said earlier I don't see much to moan about especially as financially this isn't a problem for me personally. I can see how someone that might still be paying for this year might be agrieved by the earlier renewal. The deposit idea is a pretty fair one - though there'll be plenty on here who'd claim to struggle to find the £50 early.

It'll be interesting to hear their reply.

Doubtless this was discussed with STAR at one of the management meetings. I'm surprised by their silence on the issue.

It's just occurred to me that maybe RFC have been particularly astute here. Given the inflation news and the likely rise in interest rates who can blame them for hooking us early?

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 16 Feb 2011 13:00

Pretty much sums up my opinions TFF, that being said fair points Schards, Hoop & RL

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 16 Feb 2011 14:28

Excellent ability to use the word shoddily.

Drew_3

by Drew_3 » 16 Feb 2011 14:29

Bob Smith
Drew_3 Just emailed the club with this for what its worth:

Dear Sir/Madam

I have just seen on your website that current season ticket holders have until the 28th of April to renew their ticket, after this date it goes on general sale. As you are well aware in previous years we have had until July to renew our seats, I find this new arrangement quite unacceptable, to expect people to pay for next year before the current season has finished is totally unfair. I do accept that if you want next years ticket at this seasons price then you have to renew before the end of April, but not that if you want your seat at all. Sir John Madjeski keeps reminding fans that we are in a recession and that finances are tight, perhaps he would do as well to remember this himself and realise that it affects us as well as himself!

Yours Faithfully

One disgruntled Loyal Royal

There will be many of you that find this petty and silly but sometimes people feel that strongly about something!

Any reply yet?

Recieved this response yesterday:

Thank you for your email and for taking the time to write to us with your thoughts on the season ticket renewal period.

Research and experience from other Clubs has indicated that selling Season Tickets earlier maximises chances of success, however, we have ensured that we are providing Season Ticket holders with 11 weeks’ notice and a finance option.

We would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your loyal support and to assure you that all feedback is duly recorded and reviewed regularly by our senior management team.

Kind Regards

Paul Collins

Stadium & Customer Service Supervisor

To which I replied:

Paul,

Thank you for taking the time to reply to my email.

However let me start by asking what you mean by success? Would this be by way of results on the pitch or by way of getting numbers to renew? If indeed it is the later then may I draw your attention to the link provided:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=104032

As you can see there are many more Supporters who share my views on the subject, maybe you need to review that theory on success?

With Regards to offering us 11 weeks notice I can't help but feel you have somewhat missed the point, It is not a matter of notice periods or savings, its asking people to pay for a ticket when their current one has not yet expired, and in the case of some who took out a finance option last year, your asking them to pay for next years when they have not even finished paying off this years

Kind Regards

Andrew

I subsequently recieved the inevitable brush off!

In terms of the season ticket renewals, success means getting a high amount of renewals along with new season tickets.

Thank you for your thoughts and I am sorry that you do not agree with the clubs decision.

Kind Regards

Paul Collins

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 16 Feb 2011 14:33

I feel that if you have a direct email addy for this annoymous gent than it should be posted.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 16 Feb 2011 14:34

:roll:

It's not quite 11 weeks notice anyway.

So, basically, what they are saying is, they just want our money in earlier. Why would getting people to renew BEFORE the end of a pretty "meh" season, mean that they achieve more success in increasing ST sales?

I'm ready with my reply when they bother to answer!

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 16 Feb 2011 14:36

Drew_3

by Drew_3 » 16 Feb 2011 14:37

unfortunately i think its just the general customer services email addy, and this guy has just taken charge of it!

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 16 Feb 2011 15:05

Pretty poor customer service and explanation there.

I'd like to see the evidence of this research though. I'd question the outcome if it proposed that forcing customers into a corner increases their loyalty and makes them more likely to renew.

I've worked for some companies that didn't care too much for their customers, but this is a very strange way to treat your most loyal and dedicated fans.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 16 Feb 2011 15:46

This is how Norwich announced their new ST prices for next season:

City Chief Executive David McNally had this message for the Canary faithful: "Firstly, let me start by thanking you for your incredible support of Norwich City. Week in, week out, home or away, you back your team to the hilt and you are undoubtedly the best supporters in the land.

"My promise to you is that I, along with my colleagues at the Football Club, remain committed to supporting our First Team every step of the way and to serve you, our incredible supporters. We have developed a plan that is designed to ensure we continue to improve as a Club over the seasons, both on and off the pitch, and in this regard we are focusing on climbing the football pyramid whilst giving you best-in-class standards of service.

"We will never underestimate or take for granted your commitment to the Club. As a supporter, one of the best ways in helping the Club financially is to commit to your season ticket and, in return, we will ensure that your season ticket will again offer greater value than tickets purchased on a match-by-match basis. Additionally, we guarantee that every spare penny raised goes towards our football budget and that your price is guaranteed whatever our divisional status.

"Prices have had to increase in most cases and we have addressed a number of anomalies, in an attempt to being fair to everyone. Adult prices have gone up by £1.50 per match and we have had to alter the age at which senior adults receive a concession. This has moved from 60 to 65 to bring the Club into line with other organisations and to reflect a pending legislative change to the national age of retirement for women in Great Britain.

"Equally though, we recognise the pressures families are under in these difficult economic times, and we have decided to freeze the prices for all young people at every age group, Under-21, Under-16 and Under-12. After all, young people are the future of the Football Club.

"Our new prices are an important part of the business plan for next season and so we do hope you back us, once again, in the way that you have this season. Following these changes, we truly believe that the prices paid by you per match still represent terrific value for money.

"Finally, you truly deserve the best and everyone is working really hard behind the scenes as we attempt to continue to improve the fortunes of your great Football Club."

At least their fans are treated with a bit of respect, even if the prices have increased.

Both Newcastle and Norwich offer a 12 month rolling DD for their season tickets - with the proviso that a fan has an ST for at least a year - i.e. you can't just stop paying cos the team are doing badly. THAT is the type of "customer service" that should be offered to us imo.

Conversely, all RFC can offer is:

Importantly, a newly designed entry card will be given exclusively to all 2011/12 season ticket holders, recognising the loyal support our ST holders give to us every single week" :lol: Firstly, what about people who have had an ST for nigh on 30 years, like my good self - all I'm getting is a "newly designed entry card" which will also be given to a brand new ST holder who will be in their first season - what loyal ST support has the new person given then?? I'd rather they saved their money on "newly designed entry cards" and put it towards a dvd on "how to take long corners" for our players to watch. :roll:

605 posts