Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 07 Aug 2007 08:50

Alan Partridge Personally speaking

£39 minimum

+

£20 minimum travelling to get there

+

another £20 or so on programme, beer etc

so around £80, to go to a ground i've been to twice, to see us lose.

Or

Sit in the pub for free and see it and not have to travel 3 hours home after.

yep cya.

What would be the equivalent cost to watch Torquay?

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 07 Aug 2007 08:56

We're going, though I'm not entirely sure what persuaded me. We're going to Sunderland, I expect we'll go to West Ham on Boxing Day, but I really can't see us going to many away games this season. As has been said, the novelty of going to some of these places doesn't have the same meaning second time around and the cost is just getting silly.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 07 Aug 2007 09:03

Decided to take a year out - not renewed and not going to away games. With a young family there is much better FfM to be had elsewhere, although I will try and pick and choose a couple of home games.

royal.badger

by royal.badger » 07 Aug 2007 09:15

Some of the comments on here are pathetic.
Great support from the pub people.
Total bollocks.

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 07 Aug 2007 09:22

After spending nearly £3500 watching Reading last season, I feel I am deserving of a season off. I actually think it is quite pathetic that people feel they can look down on supporters of the same club and ridicule their support. I fully expect this thread to run and run during the season as RFC's away support numbers (odd game excepted) dwindle at grounds around the country

royal.badger

by royal.badger » 07 Aug 2007 09:36

Enjoy your season off.

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 07 Aug 2007 09:40

I'll be at the home games, though they are shit to be honest. Still, I'll sleep happy in the knowledge that my life is not dominated by football and look forward to doing other things at the weekend. Football = too expensive, too much hype and too poor a quality to watch week in week out. The only saviour last season was the drinking

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 07 Aug 2007 10:00

Huntley & Palmer I'll be at the home games, though they are shit to be honest. Still, I'll sleep happy in the knowledge that my life is not dominated by football and look forward to doing other things at the weekend. Football = too expensive, too much hype and too poor a quality to watch week in week out. The only saviour last season was the drinking

I agree with that.............

I won't be watching anywhere near as many away games this season as I did last year......... It is far too expensive. I can't afford to break the bank. The price is becoming prohibitively expensive!

I'm still going to all the home games, but I can't tolerate any further cost increases. Football has become a disgrace these days and its losing its soul.

Clubs and players have lost respect for the fans and that is a very bad situation. English football is no longer a level playing field. Its become predictable and that means its become pointless.

The moment football becomes pointless is the moment its not worth watching. And that time has arrived for many people.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 07 Aug 2007 10:21

royal.badger Some of the comments on here are pathetic.
Total bollocks.

OK I'll bite,

If football is that important to your life that you are happy to give up every weekend traipsing up and down the country getting charged around £30+ to get in, travel costs and then whatever other sundries on top of that then fair enough.

Football is but one part of my life and there are so many other things I can do with the £100 odd quid it costs for the average away game that don't involve spending the majority of the day being sat in a car/train just to go to spend a few hours in a different pub and then go to the game.

Winchester Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Winchester Royal » 07 Aug 2007 10:38

In my opinion, the choice away days this season are Sunderland, Newcastle, Fulham, West Ham, Pompey, Derby and whoever we get away in the FA Cup.

Big clubs are the games when the daytrippers come out and the atmosphere suffers.

Sharpy
Hob Nob Regular

by Sharpy » 07 Aug 2007 10:40

why do people think that football is the be all and end all of peoples lives!!

some people choose to not go away because...

a) they plan other family/friend events for away game dates
b) skint
c) cant be oxf*rd

i got slated so many times last season, i have a home st i think that shows enough loyalty, and as H&P said if it werent for being boozed every game they would of been sheite!!

sheshnu

by sheshnu » 07 Aug 2007 10:44

Sharpy i got slated so many times last season, i have a home st i think that shows enough loyalty, and as H&P said if it werent for being boozed every game they would of been sheite!!

Which team were you watching then??! I think maybe H&P and yourself were in a tiny minority if you didn't enjoy the football Reading played at the Mad last season... :?

(would have, sharpy :wink: )

Skin
Hob Nob Regular
Location: You are now about to witness the strength of street knowledge

by Skin » 07 Aug 2007 14:10

Our opening game of season. Last years champions. A whole day to get pissed.

All the reasons I need.

Hopefully from the sounds of this frankly pathetic thread there will be less families there and consequently more of a proper away day experience will be had. No complaints for swearing, standing, fighting, etc.

OK I joke but seriously now we might not be in the Premiership long term and this is exactly the sort of game I've waited years for. Yes I went last season but this just has me more excited. Each to their own I suppose.

Hope Sky Sports breaks down on the 12th :wink:

Jerry St Clair
Hob Nob Regular

by Jerry St Clair » 07 Aug 2007 15:00

Winchester Royal In my opinion, the choice away days this season are Sunderland, Newcastle, Fulham, West Ham, Pompey, Derby and whoever we get away in the FA Cup.

Big clubs are the games when the daytrippers come out and the atmosphere suffers.

Spot on.

Best away games last year were Wigan and Fulham. I shall go to both again, but the football plays second fiddle now.

I'll also try and make Villa and Birmingham as long as Virgin Trains come up trumps with the cheap advances.

Am not interested in any of the big four. I hear Arsenal away last season was just shite for a lads day out.

Skyline

by Skyline » 07 Aug 2007 15:10

royal.badger Some of the comments on here are pathetic.
Total bollocks.

It's a bugger when puberty bites.

Skin
Hob Nob Regular
Location: You are now about to witness the strength of street knowledge

by Skin » 07 Aug 2007 15:17

Jerry St Clair Best away games last year were Wigan and Fulham. I shall go to both again, but the football plays second fiddle now.

I'll also try and make Villa and Birmingham as long as Virgin Trains come up trumps with the cheap advances.

Am not interested in any of the big four. I hear Arsenal away last season was just shite for a lads day out.

Add to that - West Ham was good last season.

Villa last season was OK (v good pies), Brum in the cup was cracking day out. Arsenal was indeed shite as atmosphere goes, just depends on the lads on your day out whether the whole day was shite, ours was very good all in all.

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 07 Aug 2007 15:34

I'll add to that, the best away days were Villa, Sheff U, Fulham, West Ham, Citeh, Wigan, Charlton, Newcastle and a couple of others

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 07 Aug 2007 16:07

I hope if you go to Derby, you and Mags go by train. :wink:

Coppelled Streets
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Coppelled Streets » 07 Aug 2007 16:13

Platypuss Decided to take a year out - not renewed and not going to away games. With a young family there is much better FfM to be had elsewhere, although I will try and pick and choose a couple of home games.

Just what I have done.

Last year was special and I couldn't miss out after almost 10 years barely missing a home game and catching many away games each season.

This time around I'm moving back to Reading and that takes a huge priority.

I'll still see 6-7 away games and around half of the home games, and I'll hopefully return to season ticketing next summer.

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 07 Aug 2007 22:23

Seems like the smell of the coffee is catching, there is much more to do than football.

I do not miss spending hours of my weekend to see 90 mins of a game, FFS even getting to and from the Madstad takes a fecking age now, and is damned expensive, my dad leaves at one and gets home about 6, so 5 hours to see 90 mins of footy, we used to leave Woodley at 2 and be back by half 5, or at least in the Wheelies, now the club scoops up too much dosh, there is not even any decent pubs nearby that he can walk from.

Money talks and the fans are revolting.

1418 posts