A bit worrying

1418 posts
Farnborough Royal

by Farnborough Royal » 07 Aug 2007 22:51

Perhaps if loads of empty seats start appearing at the Madejski it will make the club put the prices down.

Compo's Hat
Hob Nob Regular

by Compo's Hat » 07 Aug 2007 23:03

I think the foreign satalite channels showing the games will have a say on the amount of games i go to.

I shall go to the London games as well as Newcastle (only ground i haven't been to) and Liverpool (birthday weekend!). The others will be hit and miss.

Winchester Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Winchester Royal » 07 Aug 2007 23:12

The 17 Bus Money talks and the fans are revolting.

Yeah, our fans are pretty revolting, aren't they?

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 09 Aug 2007 15:41

Now the club captain is appealing on behalf of the club who will foot the bill should they not sell out;

http://www.readingfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10306~1087994,00.html

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 09 Aug 2007 16:15

What do they expect for those prices on a Sunday when it is on TV. It was the same at Everton last season

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 09 Aug 2007 18:50

RG30 Now the club captain is appealing on behalf of the club who will foot the bill should they not sell out;

why would Reading foot the bill for unsold tickets? Unless we request an extra allocation, tickets are always sale or return.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 09 Aug 2007 20:16

The 17 Bus Money talks and the fans are revolting.

So, how much is a bar of soap these days?

SWLR
Hob Nob Regular

by SWLR » 09 Aug 2007 20:51

If it is any comfort:
I was told today by a Chelsea STH that Chelsea's home tickets are on sale for every game this season - and so far the only one sold out is Arsenal - in previous years only the Bolton, Wigan's etc would be available goiing into the start of the season.

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 09 Aug 2007 22:03

RG30 Now the club captain is appealing on behalf of the club who will foot the bill should they not sell out;

why would Reading foot the bill for unsold tickets? Unless we request an extra allocation, tickets are always sale or return.

But it means Man Utd can't sell the remaining tickets because of segregation issues. Would have been wise for the club to take 1,500 tickets and ask for more had if the demand was there which it clearly wasn't.

The club got caught out with this with Chelsea last year with the game a 12:45pm kick off, on Sky, Boxing Day, no public transport and £45/£48 a ticket, and the majority of factors dictate why there's still tickets available and on general sale to all member card holders.

TheLawnMowerMan
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by TheLawnMowerMan » 09 Aug 2007 23:20

I think you'll find the club RETURN unsold tickets for league games, rather than having to foot the bill.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 10 Aug 2007 08:11

TheLawnMowerMan I think you'll find the club RETURN unsold tickets for league games, rather than having to foot the bill.

Not entirely correct. As mentioned above, stadiums like OT are designed so that the away end can be of varying sizes. Clubs can take the initial smaller allocation on sale or return. Once you take the full amount, the club is liable to pay for those additional tickets as the seats are no longer available to be sold to home fans.

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 10 Aug 2007 09:15

That is correct Stranded, hence why the club only took an initial 1500 last season at OT in the corner and then when these sold took the additional section next to it in the stand down the side.

Rawlie19
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Rawlie19 » 10 Aug 2007 09:42

RG30

But it means Man Utd can't sell the remaining tickets because of segregation issues. Would have been wise for the club to take 1,500 tickets and ask for more had if the demand was there which it clearly wasn't.

The club got caught out with this with Chelsea last year with the game a 12:45pm kick off, on Sky, Boxing Day, no public transport and £45/£48 a ticket, and the majority of factors dictate why there's still tickets available and on general sale to all member card holders.

There really is no pleasing some people. The club were roundly criticised last season for not taking all they could and then them selling out in 3 days. This time they have thought that the demand would still be there (maybe not 3 days but still sell out) and so went for the full allocation straight away. I am one who is surprised that it hasn't sold out yet.

Now, how many tickets are left? Is it about 500? well if we'd only taken the 1,500 then they would have been sold out and we would have had to take more to satisfy demand. They won't just give us 1,000 more, it would be the 1,500 which makes it up to the total we took anyway. So we are at the same place now that we would have been then if we'd only taken the initial amount. The difference is that had we only taken the 1,500 and Man Utd sold all their tickets before we had asked for more then they wouldn't have had any to give us as they would have then put those up for sale for Man Utd fans and we would now have a thread moaning that "I didn't get a Man Utd ticket :cry: :cry: ". Does this make sense to you?

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 10 Aug 2007 09:48

so we have sold 2 500?

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 10 Aug 2007 09:59

Rawlie19
RG30

There really is no pleasing some people. The club were roundly criticised last season for not taking all they could and then them selling out in 3 days. This time they have thought that the demand would still be there (maybe not 3 days but still sell out) and so went for the full allocation straight away. I am one who is surprised that it hasn't sold out yet.

Now, how many tickets are left? Is it about 500? well if we'd only taken the 1,500 then they would have been sold out and we would have had to take more to satisfy demand. They won't just give us 1,000 more, it would be the 1,500 which makes it up to the total we took anyway. So we are at the same place now that we would have been then if we'd only taken the initial amount. The difference is that had we only taken the 1,500 and Man Utd sold all their tickets before we had asked for more then they wouldn't have had any to give us as they would have then put those up for sale for Man Utd fans and we would now have a thread moaning that "I didn't get a Man Utd ticket :cry: :cry: ". Does this make sense to you?

This is the whole point, the ticket office manger has no clue as to trend forecasting. I am sure the club would have preferred to only take the 1500 tickets and sold them out rather than now having to foot the bill for any tickets left over

mini _dariusz

by mini _dariusz » 10 Aug 2007 10:34

People still on there holidays I suspect.

Bill Oddie
Location: By the bamboo bush in the central reservation on the M4

by Bill Oddie » 10 Aug 2007 14:06

Last year I attended 6 away games and that is the lowest amount in the last 20 years. The cost is now horrendus and also you need to plan weeks in advance like a militry exercise. Unfortunatley its not the same anymore and is losing its shine. Sometimes I couldn't decide if I wanted to go to Rotherham away until 10.00 am on a Saturday morning. Oh well corporate modern sport for you, we don't even have supporters numbers on our cards its all "customer numbers" about sums it all up really !

Rawlie19
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Rawlie19 » 10 Aug 2007 15:13

Huntley & Palmer
Rawlie19
RG30

This is the whole point, the ticket office manger has no clue as to trend forecasting. I am sure the club would have preferred to only take the 1500 tickets and sold them out rather than now having to foot the bill for any tickets left over

But then they'd be slated for not taking enough! FFS, never mind the saying you can only please half the folk half of the time, you can't please anybody!

Rawlie19
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Rawlie19 » 10 Aug 2007 15:16

I'm not moaning about people not going to the game btw, that is anyone's own personal choice. I wouldn't have been going to Old Trafford this season myself except that it is the first game of the season and I like to go to those. There will be plenty of games I don't go to this season and one of the reasons is what Bill Oddie says. It's just too expensive. I do work 2 Saturdays every month though, and I have to take a day off for any home games that fall on a work day for me so to do that for away isn't really an option.

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 10 Aug 2007 17:00

Rawlie19 But then they'd be slated for not taking enough! FFS, never mind the saying you can only please half the folk half of the time, you can't please anybody!

But the club wouldn't lose any money, which is ultimately the point. Do you really think they care if there are 1500 or 3000 fans there?

1418 posts