TSI - The Promises, Policies & Progress Thread

1288 posts
Reading4eva
Hob Nob Regular

Reading FC's False Promises

by Reading4eva » 04 Sep 2013 07:13

Well, did we honestly think we were gonna pull that one off. Another player who as little as a year ago was playing in one of the top teams in Europe! Three signings, one obviously meant to be a striker to compensate a sicknote, a disinterested Russian, a League One 3 goals a season man and someone who is only prolific from 80 minutes onwards?

Why is it Reading, Howe, Hammond etal come out with cuckoo media cliches then fail to live upto them. The man least at blame here is Adkins. He is the manager and (hopefully) he says ok I want Gary Hooper, Momo Sissoko and Mike Havenaar and Hammond and Howe go out to get them. His job is done. Once those players get here he gets involved with them again.

However on the other foot, Hammond, super scrimper himself decides he never wants to pay a player there true value. Now ok I know you need to be sensible and he's good at getting top dollar for outgoing players. Bit has no one alerted him that promotion back to the Premier League is worth over £100million. Sometimes saying "Ok you can have your £45k a week instead of your £30k a week contract but instead of a 3 year deal you get a two". It's not like we are paying any transfer money anyway.

Where to go from here? Well Sissoko would be great, a forward even better and a central defender of quality again I'd been happy with (in fact we could of had Upson if it hadn't been for the same reasons above). However I doubt we will get any, we might get a washed up League One player unwanted by Stevenage or Coventry, or an unknown from Europe (your mate of a mate of a mate says he's good so he must be... How much is he on... £50 fcuk me gently sign him up now) but that'll be no good.

My biggest fear is Adkins, the man who did so well at Scunthorpe with limited resources, dragged Southampton up from the horns in League One to the Prem and has turned round a deflated Reading team after last season to some extent will acknowledge promises haven't been met, and walk. After all he wants the Prem for RFC like us fans. He can probably see though that QPR and Wigan want there £100million paycheque more.

Once were Biscuitmen

Re: TSI - The Promises, Policies & Progress Thread

by Once were Biscuitmen » 04 Sep 2013 10:33

AZ is basically a slightly richer version of SJM, willing to subsidise the business in a limited fashion but not a sugar daddy that is going to throw away his Father’s cash so we can all watch Premiership football every year.

Thems the breaks folks.

If anybody on here wants to buy the club and spend their own money subsiding a loss making business fantastic, if not why not just pipe down a touch?

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 04 Sep 2013 11:54

Once were Biscuitmen AZ is basically a slightly richer version of SJM, willing to subsidise the business in a limited fashion but not a sugar daddy that is going to throw away his Father’s cash so we can all watch Premiership football every year.

Thems the breaks folks.

If anybody on here wants to buy the club and spend their own money subsiding a loss making business fantastic, if not why not just pipe down a touch?

Difference being, if one of us bought the club and didn't have the money to buy in players capable of getting us promoted or whatever, I doubt any of us would pretend that we did.....

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 04 Sep 2013 13:26

Once were Biscuitmen AZ is basically a slightly richer version of SJM, willing to subsidise the business in a limited fashion but not a sugar daddy that is going to throw away his Father’s cash so we can all watch Premiership football every year.

Thems the breaks folks.

Sir John Madejski said he would only sell to people with "deep pockets", who could take the club "to the next level" and that "Millionaire's need not apply" and right now it appears as though someone has pulled the wool over his eyes.

Once were Biscuitmen

by Once were Biscuitmen » 04 Sep 2013 14:35

sandman

Thems the breaks folks.

Sir John Madejski said he would only sell to people with "deep pockets", who could take the club "to the next level" and that "Millionaire's need not apply" and right now it appears as though someone has pulled the wool over his eyes.

There is not an unending line of indulgent Billionaires who want to lose vast amount of money 'investing' in English and Welsh football clubs.

SJM was hamstrung by the impact of the credit crunch on his other businesses and did the best deal he could. Without AZ there would have been no Roberts and, perhaps, no automatic promotion.

When the essential moan is that the owner of a business is not willing to lose enough money to be competitive then I think the problem may be the game itself....

SapperBRoyal

Re: Reading FC's False Promises

by SapperBRoyal » 05 Sep 2013 17:16

Reading4eva Well, did we honestly think we were gonna pull that one off. Another player who as little as a year ago was playing in one of the top teams in Europe! Three signings, one obviously meant to be a striker to compensate a sicknote, a disinterested Russian, a League One 3 goals a season man and someone who is only prolific from 80 minutes onwards?

Why is it Reading, Howe, Hammond etal come out with cuckoo media cliches then fail to live upto them. The man least at blame here is Adkins. He is the manager and (hopefully) he says ok I want Gary Hooper, Momo Sissoko and Mike Havenaar and Hammond and Howe go out to get them. His job is done. Once those players get here he gets involved with them again.

However on the other foot, Hammond, super scrimper himself decides he never wants to pay a player there true value. Now ok I know you need to be sensible and he's good at getting top dollar for outgoing players. Bit has no one alerted him that promotion back to the Premier League is worth over £100million. Sometimes saying "Ok you can have your £45k a week instead of your £30k a week contract but instead of a 3 year deal you get a two". It's not like we are paying any transfer money anyway.

Where to go from here? Well Sissoko would be great, a forward even better and a central defender of quality again I'd been happy with (in fact we could of had Upson if it hadn't been for the same reasons above). However I doubt we will get any, we might get a washed up League One player unwanted by Stevenage or Coventry, or an unknown from Europe (your mate of a mate of a mate says he's good so he must be... How much is he on... £50 fcuk me gently sign him up now) but that'll be no good.

My biggest fear is Adkins, the man who did so well at Scunthorpe with limited resources, dragged Southampton up from the horns in League One to the Prem and has turned round a deflated Reading team after last season to some extent will acknowledge promises haven't been met, and walk. After all he wants the Prem for RFC like us fans. He can probably see though that QPR and Wigan want there £100million paycheque more.

It is not NH who unilaterally runs the numbers, he has to satisfy the board, the owner and the player's agent. I also suspect he can count, has a short to medium term memory capable of retaining experience from other transfer windows and has his financial limitations and conditions imposed upon him. Blame Hammond if you choose, but he is an employee. I wonder if any of us would have the minerals to disregard our own bosses and spend their money without the necessary permission. Completely agree on Adkins though - would be devastated if he walked.

M Brook
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by M Brook » 06 Sep 2013 22:52

sandman

Thems the breaks folks.

The word on the street is that SJM has still not been paid in full for the 51% share he sold to TSI.

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 07 Sep 2013 00:28

Why did their Everton deal fall through 9 years ago?

Where is Chris Samuelson?
Last edited by Uke on 07 Sep 2013 00:54, edited 1 time in total.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 07 Sep 2013 00:47

Guarded critisism here

When MaccyD was sacked, I was peeved

But, I said on here (somewhere at that time) that AZ had talked the talk, and now it was time for AZ to walk the walk.

Without Maguire sized change it would all be worthless.

AZ is very quiet right now (AS says in an obvious way)

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 07 Sep 2013 09:51

I know there have been different things said over the last 18 months, but the one that stuck in my mind was repeated several times in the early days - that the ethos would not change, yes, we would have more muscle (as evidenced by Pog, Drenthe, etc.) but we would not be spending silly amounts of money on players, and we would no longer HAVE to sell our best players to fill a black hole every season.

AZ then very quickly announced what the priorities were, investment in the infrastructure.

He's said other things that other people have latched onto, but for me, the above set my expectations - I was happy with that at the time, and therefore have not been disappointed at any time over delivery from TSI.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 07 Sep 2013 10:52

Royal Rother I know there have been different things said over the last 18 months, but the one that stuck in my mind was repeated several times in the early days - that the ethos would not change, yes, we would have more muscle (as evidenced by Pog, Drenthe, etc.) but we would not be spending silly amounts of money on players, and we would no longer HAVE to sell our best players to fill a black hole every season.

AZ then very quickly announced what the priorities were, investment in the infrastructure.

He's said other things that other people have latched onto, but for me, the above set my expectations - I was happy with that at the time, and therefore have not been disappointed at any time over delivery from TSI.

Yeah, but you aren't a cretin who only hears what you want to hear.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 07 Sep 2013 11:13

There is that, yes.

Cobi
Hob Nob Regular

by Cobi » 07 Sep 2013 11:23

The Daily Mail were all over Anton when he bought the club. Seems they're looking into his finances again..

Anton Zingarevich is being investigated By the Daily Mail 's Sporting Inteligence team who suspect that the Russian owner does not have enough of his own money, and is using the clubs parachute payments to fund the remaining 49% buyout from Sir John Madejski, which is due to be concluded by the close of October 2013.
The clubs reaction to the supporters dismay over the lack of investment in the summer, and indeed the previous three transfer windows, has lead to the club releasing a statement declaring there isn't much money left in the pot due to the 'competitive' wage bill. With record parachute payments over four years, that must be quite some wage bill.

Wigan's wage bill must be higher than ours, yet they were able to spend as well, and they're a prudently ran football club!

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 07 Sep 2013 13:26

New Training ground being planned, heavy academy investment over the last year to get it up to scratch, Drenthe, Danny Williams, Wayne Bridge, New contracts for Pearce and Hal, Pog still on the wage bill, Guthrie still on the wage bill, Karacan also recently signed a new contract and this is on top of what was already a large wage bill for the championship before promotion.

Sure we got rid of Kebe and Mariappa, but that's ALL we got rid of.

And you lot continue to wonder where the money is?

Fucking hell.
Last edited by ZacNaloen on 07 Sep 2013 13:28, edited 1 time in total.

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 07 Sep 2013 13:27

Cobi The Daily Mail were all over Anton when he bought the club. Seems they're looking into his finances again..

Anton Zingarevich is being investigated By the Daily Mail 's Sporting Inteligence team who suspect that the Russian owner does not have enough of his own money, and is using the clubs parachute payments to fund the remaining 49% buyout from Sir John Madejski, which is due to be concluded by the close of October 2013.
The clubs reaction to the supporters dismay over the lack of investment in the summer, and indeed the previous three transfer windows, has lead to the club releasing a statement declaring there isn't much money left in the pot due to the 'competitive' wage bill. With record parachute payments over four years, that must be quite some wage bill.

Wigan's wage bill must be higher than ours, yet they were able to spend as well, and they're a prudently ran football club!

Wigan sold more players for higher fee's.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 07 Sep 2013 16:41

It's a depressing indictment on the state of financial understanding in the country, is what it is.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 07 Sep 2013 18:19

Ian Royal It's a depressing indictment on the state of financial understanding in the country, is what it is.

You know what, the word "depressing" just came to mind as well.

People bad mouthing their own club for not spending money it doesn't have, for not gambling the future on expenditure that risks the brilliant stuff going on in other areas, for berating an owner for not chucking muti-millions (he may or may not have access to) on overpriced players, and give them a fleeting hard-on, for hanging on words in soundbites that leads them to think he might just spend that kind of money rather than adopt the sound business sense that he was very clear underpinned his long-term intentions for the club, is indeed vaguely depressing.

I think I should just stick to the music thread.

Cypry

by Cypry » 07 Sep 2013 19:11

ZacNaloen
Cobi The Daily Mail were all over Anton when he bought the club. Seems they're looking into his finances again..

Wigan sold more players for higher fee's.

Wigan made over £20M on player sales, and spent a grand total of £6M.....wonder if their fans are asking "where's the money gone"?

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 08 Sep 2013 02:54

Thems the breaks folks.

Oh brilliant! That old chestnut raised again! :roll: And about as convincing as 'if we spend more money we will end up like Portsmouth. Fans may not be able to afford to buy the club but I wager there are a good number who have ploughed higher percentages of their disposable income into supporting the club than either Madejski or AZ and without the perks.

I suppose I should have expected Madejski to have found a successor in his own likeness and it is now looking like AZ is very similar. Only saving graces are that AZ doesn't seek to always be the centre of attention like and his other half is far more attractive!

RoyalTank

by RoyalTank » 08 Sep 2013 10:13

ZacNaloen New Training ground being planned, heavy academy investment over the last year to get it up to scratch, Drenthe, Danny Williams, Wayne Bridge, New contracts for Pearce and Hal, Pog still on the wage bill, Guthrie still on the wage bill, Karacan also recently signed a new contract and this is on top of what was already a large wage bill for the championship before promotion.

Sure we got rid of Kebe and Mariappa, but that's ALL we got rid of.

And you lot continue to wonder where the money is?

Fucking hell.

Finally someone talking some sense. This team is a lot better than the team that won the league 2 seasons ago so promotion is a realistic goal. The academy is producing some great talent - I would rather see our owner investing for the future than watch him spunk away his money on a injury prone midfielder looking for his last big pay check.
Last edited by RoyalTank on 08 Sep 2013 10:48, edited 1 time in total.

1288 posts