Hammonds negotiating skills

paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

Hammonds negotiating skills

by paddy20 » 28 Jan 2013 09:16

Is it time to question Nicky Hammond's skills at negotiating? If we believe some of the paper talk we seem to always offer figures either well below or just below the asking price. That seems sensible but on occasions you cant always get a bargain deal. Again if we believe what's reported we have offered £6.5m for Ince when they want £7m. Would 500k make such a difference when compared to staying in this division? We seemed to have lost a number of other targets by not willing sometimes to go that extra mile. Is there an obsession on his or others part of only buying if you get a player at less than their true value? Its clear that we desperately need one or two top quality players in this transfer period to enable us to survive. Lets hope we don't sink the ship for a haporth of tar

The Beardy Man

Re: Hammonds negotiating skills

by The Beardy Man » 28 Jan 2013 09:43

paddy20 Is it time to question Nicky Hammond's skills at negotiating? If we believe some of the paper talk we seem to always offer figures either well below or just below the asking price. That seems sensible but on occasions you cant always get a bargain deal. Again if we believe what's reported we have offered £6.5m for Ince when they want £7m. Would 500k make such a difference when compared to staying in this division? We seemed to have lost a number of other targets by not willing sometimes to go that extra mile. Is there an obsession on his or others part of only buying if you get a player at less than their true value? Its clear that we desperately need one or two top quality players in this transfer period to enable us to survive. Lets hope we don't sink the ship for a haporth of tar

You want to question the negotiating skills of the man who got £5.5 million for Kitson, several million for the likes of Halford and Fae when they achieved nothing with us. From memory a few million for Sonko when we all knew he wasn't the same player after injury. Managed to sell Mills for a few million from memory?

The man who picked up Doyle and Long for a pittance, Alfie and Kitson for not much more, and all at pay rates we can afford?

You want to question those skills?

Who do you imagine would do better?

UpThePrem

by UpThePrem » 28 Jan 2013 09:53

The Beardy Man
paddy20 Is it time to question Nicky Hammond's skills at negotiating? If we believe some of the paper talk we seem to always offer figures either well below or just below the asking price. That seems sensible but on occasions you cant always get a bargain deal. Again if we believe what's reported we have offered £6.5m for Ince when they want £7m. Would 500k make such a difference when compared to staying in this division? We seemed to have lost a number of other targets by not willing sometimes to go that extra mile. Is there an obsession on his or others part of only buying if you get a player at less than their true value? Its clear that we desperately need one or two top quality players in this transfer period to enable us to survive. Lets hope we don't sink the ship for a haporth of tar

You want to question the negotiating skills of the man who got £5.5 million for Kitson, several million for the likes of Halford and Fae when they achieved nothing with us. From memory a few million for Sonko when we all knew he wasn't the same player after injury. Managed to sell Mills for a few million from memory?

The man who picked up Doyle and Long for a pittance, Alfie and Kitson for not much more, and all at pay rates we can afford?

You want to question those skills?

Who do you imagine would do better?

All at a lower level than we are now. Not setting the world alight in the premier league and didn't last time at this level. Arguably the biggest signng this time needed Anton to do the negotiating. Think Paddy may have a point.

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 28 Jan 2013 09:59

A players value is dictated by what someone wants to pay, not by the price tag a club puts on their player.

Presumably you want the club to shell out unrealistic amounts of cash just because the selling club asks for it.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 28 Jan 2013 10:19

worst thread ever

paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

by paddy20 » 28 Jan 2013 10:41

Well lets just see what happens in the next few days. If we get the right people in then I will withdraw any question of his methods. We are not far off having that good team that can stay in the premiership. No I dont want the club to spend unrealistic amounts but how about the realism of going down and losing all our good players again. Because we didnt invest enough (again) at the start of the season its a sellers market. We have to accept that we may have to take a risk and pay over the odds but that has to be weighed up against the loss of Income, support and players that will be the outcome of relegation. Unlike the signings of Kitson, Doyle etc we are in a different place now. We can't look for bargains we need instant support for the rest of the team. Having watched Reading for 50 years I have spent most of my life supporting my team in the lower regions of the football league. We are now in the best place ever. Lets support Brian and give him some more tools to help him make sure we survive. Remember we went down last time by the tightest of margins, 3 more goals or another point was all that was needed. It may be the difference again!

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 28 Jan 2013 10:58

Have you not heard of haggling?

(BTW Sorry to melonhead for contributing to such an unworthy thread)

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 28 Jan 2013 11:01

If we get the right people in then I will withdraw any question of his methods.

very magnanimous of you

personally i think not paying more than you think someone is worth is pretty much the starting point for any money/player exchange
not paying more than you can afford is the next step

Drew_3

by Drew_3 » 28 Jan 2013 11:14

I would not question his negotiating skills per se. What I would question is the apparent belief that when it comes time to sell our players, we seem to have some devine belief that they are worth top dollar, but when trying to sign othe clubs best players we seem unwilling to pay it.

Now im not saying that you just pay what the selling club wants and be done with it, but every once in a while you do have to do this. You cant always be frightened off by the number of zero's on the end of their valuation.

Now this may not be what do (and I suspect it's not really), but with so little transparency in football you can only call it as you see it.

akranes
Hob Nob Regular

by akranes » 28 Jan 2013 11:28

melonhead worst thread ever

i quite agree good sir

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 28 Jan 2013 11:36

Drew_3 I would not question his negotiating skills per se. What I would question is the apparent belief that when it comes time to sell our players, we seem to have some devine belief that they are worth top dollar, but when trying to sign othe clubs best players we seem unwilling to pay it.

Now im not saying that you just pay what the selling club wants and be done with it, but every once in a while you do have to do this. You cant always be frightened off by the number of zero's on the end of their valuation.

Now this may not be what do (and I suspect it's not really), but with so little transparency in football you can only call it as you see it.

nothing to do with being scared off. for both incoming and outgoing deals
it should always be a case of "this is our valuation of what the player is worth to us- and i wont accept/pay more than that"

like in any negotiation. you should always have your top value in mind, and be willing to walk away if it goes over that

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 28 Jan 2013 11:44

With one 10 minute phone call I managed to reduce the cost of my home insurance by 15%

royaldownunder

by royaldownunder » 28 Jan 2013 11:46

For a guy who's done RFC proud and brought in numerous brilliant signings at the right prices, I would say he's certainly the man for us and has brilliant negotiating skills. Arsenal also rate him highly enough to have made an approach.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 28 Jan 2013 12:00

Royal With Cheese With one 10 minute phone call I managed to reduce the cost of my home insurance by 15%

thats nothing, i reduced my car insurance by 60% with a single phonecall that only took 5 minutes

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 28 Jan 2013 12:00

:|

Who would do a better job?

paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

by paddy20 » 28 Jan 2013 12:01

For a guy who's done RFC proud and brought in numerous brilliant signings at the right prices, I would say he's certainly the man for us and has brilliant negotiating skills. Arsenal also rate him highly enough to have made an approach

It that the Arsenal that won't spend any money and loses all its top stars and haven't won anything for xxxx years?

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 28 Jan 2013 12:04

:|

royaldownunder

by royaldownunder » 28 Jan 2013 12:05

paddy20 For a guy who's done RFC proud and brought in numerous brilliant signings at the right prices, I would say he's certainly the man for us and has brilliant negotiating skills. Arsenal also rate him highly enough to have made an approach

It that the Arsenal that won't spend any money and loses all its top stars and haven't won anything for xxxx years?

Yeah Arsenal… rubbish awful terrible club :shock:

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 28 Jan 2013 12:06

paddy20 For a guy who's done RFC proud and brought in numerous brilliant signings at the right prices, I would say he's certainly the man for us and has brilliant negotiating skills. Arsenal also rate him highly enough to have made an approach

What have Arsenal got to do with anything?

Hammond has done a terrific job here, long may it continue.

royaldownunder

by royaldownunder » 28 Jan 2013 12:07

LoyalRoyalFan

What have Arsenal got to do with anything?

Hammond has done a terrific job here, long may it continue.

+1