Reading Reserves

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

Reading Reserves

by floyd__streete » 17 Aug 2006 13:42

Are season ticket holders getting free entry for these matches as usual next season or have RFC got more designs on my money?

fridays child

by fridays child » 17 Aug 2006 13:48

Any one mind if I Dodd this one

bb0118
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by bb0118 » 17 Aug 2006 13:51

fridays child Any one mind if I Dodd this one

Why?? Its a perfectly good question!

Reading Abbey

by Reading Abbey » 17 Aug 2006 13:53

bb0118

That's been asked. You know there is no escaping a Dodd if something has been discussed on here in the past 24 months!

bb0118
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by bb0118 » 17 Aug 2006 13:55

Reading Abbey
bb0118

That's been asked. You know there is no escaping a Dodd if something has been discussed on here in the past 24 months!

You have to remember that Floyd is asking about next season (2007-8 ), not this season! :wink:

Reading Abbey

by Reading Abbey » 17 Aug 2006 13:55

bb0118
Reading Abbey
bb0118

You have to remember that Floyd is asking about next season (2007-8 ), not this! :wink:

I see I see, cunning stunt!

fridays child

by fridays child » 17 Aug 2006 13:57

Reading Abbey
bb0118

Last updated on 12th August

Reading Abbey

by Reading Abbey » 17 Aug 2006 14:02

fridays child
Reading Abbey
bb0118

Last updated on 12th August

Made you look, made you stare, made you lose your underware!

shadesrwrf
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by shadesrwrf » 17 Aug 2006 14:39

Jay, do you really not have anything else to do?

To answer the original question. Yes they are going to charge us. :evil: Can't remember how much though. It's probably on the OS somewhere. (They haven't started charging for access to that, YET).

Reading Abbey

by Reading Abbey » 17 Aug 2006 14:51

shadesrwrf Jay, do you really not have anything else to do?

The topic is there, just read it! :roll:

They have to charge a nominal amount, it helps to give them an idea of how many people are likely to turn up, how many staff to employ and what stands /car parks to open. I think it'll be £3 for adult STH, with accompanied kids free. (Strangely enough, people place more value on more something they have to pay for, even if it's a small amount.)

From what I've been told about it, I think this "family football" is going to be a pretty big thing and the club are doing the right thing with it. It's their answer to the problem of there not being enough tickets available to do things like "kids for a quid" anymore, so it will definitely be aimed at families - hence the 7 pm on a Wednesday start time. It's been discussed that they may need to open more than just the Lower West for the potential numbers, so I don't think that £3 is unreasonable to help them cover staff and power costs. I also believe that the club are looking at a way where families who aren't STHs who come to these family nights will get some kind of enhanced priority when tickets go on general sale.

Don't forget also that this is also the Premier Reserve League - so instead of the likes of Southend Reserves the visitors will be the likes of Chelsea and Arsenal reserves (so probably the very same kids we all saw at Highbury last November).

working class hero

by working class hero » 17 Aug 2006 15:06

£3 will be too much - add in travelling time and parking fees and it will deter many.

Given the massive hike in prices and the reduction in games this is taking the mick. STHs are getting a raw deal. If things go badly this year we will be paying a great deal more for a great deal less satisfaction.

RFC need to think about customer satisfaction rather than purely money grabbing.

Those who reckon £3 is fine will doubtless be those who will not attend games anyway.....
In the past I really appreciated the occasional freeby.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 17 Aug 2006 16:53

working class hero £3 will be too much - add in travelling time and parking fees and it will deter many.

Given the massive hike in prices and the reduction in games this is taking the mick. STHs are getting a raw deal. If things go badly this year we will be paying a great deal more for a great deal less satisfaction.

RFC need to think about customer satisfaction rather than purely money grabbing.

Those who reckon £3 is fine will doubtless be those who will not attend games anyway.....

Really, that's £3 per STH adult and kids go FREE. So 2 kids and it's £1 each. When you take in to account that once there the kids are probably going to want a hot dog or a coke, it's not that much of a difference and certainly not one that would deter people in my book.

Warfield Royal

by Warfield Royal » 17 Aug 2006 20:41

There is a news item on the OS about the Reading FC Open Day which is in combination with the first reserves match against Aston Villa (at home) on Tuesday 29 August with 7pm KO and entry is FREE

ayjaydee
Hob Nob Regular

by ayjaydee » 17 Aug 2006 22:20

Warfield Royal There is a news item on the OS about the Reading FC Open Day which is in combination with the first reserves match against Aston Villa (at home) on Tuesday 29 August with 7pm KO and entry is FREE

There is also a voucher in tonights EP for free entry to certain of the games.

Spotters Badge

by Spotters Badge » 18 Aug 2006 09:57

Stranded
working class hero £3 will be too much - add in travelling time and parking fees and it will deter many.

Really, that's £3 per STH adult and kids go FREE. So 2 kids and it's £1 each. When you take in to account that once there the kids are probably going to want a hot dog or a coke, it's not that much of a difference and certainly not one that would deter people in my book.

As these games are going to be played in the evenings I doubt that too many kids will go.

Dai Brainbocs
Hob Nob Regular

by Dai Brainbocs » 18 Aug 2006 10:05

Very good article in the latest When Saturday Comes about top-flight reserve football - how it was thriving 10 years or so ago but has gone right down the pan as players anywhere near the first team are rarely risked in the reserves, clubs would rather play friendlies behind closed doors at training grounds.

E.g. people assume Shaun Wright-Phillips would have been turning out for Chelsea's reserves when not required, but in fact he played only once.

Apparently the chances of seeing anyone you've heard of are slim and reducing. The author mentioned watching one supposedly big reserve game, I think it was Liverpool v Man Utd, where he had never heard of any of the 32 players on the team sheet.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 18 Aug 2006 11:37

Spotters Badge
Stranded

As these games are going to be played in the evenings I doubt that too many kids will go.

They moved them to 7pm so that kids can go. There will be more going now than at 2pm when they are at school.

earley_royals
Location: I am earley, super earley, i am earley, from Earley.

by earley_royals » 18 Aug 2006 11:39

Stranded
Spotters Badge
Stranded

They moved them to 7pm so that kids can go. There will be more going now than at 2pm when they are at school.

I believe all games in the new reserve league are to be played in the evening.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 18 Aug 2006 12:33

Reading Abbey [i]They have to charge a nominal amount, it helps to give them an idea of how many people are likely to turn up, how many staff to employ and what stands /car parks to open.

Absolute, total baloney.

How many stands to open up? The lower west holds, at a guess, around 4,000..... the crowd would never be any more than that for a reserve game. How many staff to employ? 3 in the refreshment stand, two operating the turnstiles at most.

Why do they "have to charge a nominal amount" exactly? My entry for reserve games last season as a STH was free - why take away about the only privilege we have as a STH?

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 18 Aug 2006 13:12

floyd__streete
Reading Abbey [i]They have to charge a nominal amount, it helps to give them an idea of how many people are likely to turn up, how many staff to employ and what stands /car parks to open.

Absolute, total baloney.

How many stands to open up? The lower west holds, at a guess, around 4,000..... the crowd would never be any more than that for a reserve game. How many staff to employ? 3 in the refreshment stand, two operating the turnstiles at most.

Why do they "have to charge a nominal amount" exactly? My entry for reserve games last season as a STH was free - why take away about the only privilege we have as a STH?

That is, other then the privilege of a guaranteed seat for all league games at a reduced price (compared to the normal ticket price), first option on your seat for all cup games, £5 off a shirt, sufficient Royalty points to give a better than evens chance of away tickets for a few games etc etc.