Man City (A) players' gesture

124 posts
rob the royal
Hob Nob Regular

Man City (A) players' gesture

by rob the royal » 04 Nov 2007 18:46

ok i had a good look around on this board and the star one and i can't see a thread about this.

so feel free to lock it and point me in the right direction if i'm just being blind.

so here goes: subsidised travel to man city paid for by the players but only for the first 350 people who sign up.

so my thoughts? well firstly it's a nice gesture for the loyal fans who travel every week (as these people will DESERVEDLY be the ones who will get the £5 star coach tickets)

BUT, with all the talk of dwindling away support would it not have been better had they forked out a bit more so we could actually have a subsidy that would encourage a few more people to go along?

just a thought.

meeky_no9

by meeky_no9 » 04 Nov 2007 19:02

On website now and should be popular with the fans! Might perswade me to go!

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 04 Nov 2007 19:26

I was going by car anyway, but still it's a nice gesture by the players. Strange how they think subsidising 350 people who would have gone anyway will lead to a large away following :?

STAR Liaison
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Man City (A) players' gesture

by STAR Liaison » 04 Nov 2007 19:43

rob the royal ok i had a good look around on this board and the star one and i can't see a thread about this.

so feel free to lock it and point me in the right direction if i'm just being blind.

so here goes: subsidised travel to man city paid for by the players but only for the first 350 people who sign up.

so my thoughts? well firstly it's a nice gesture for the loyal fans who travel every week (as these people will DESERVEDLY be the ones who will get the £5 star coach tickets)

BUT, with all the talk of dwindling away support would it not have been better had they forked out a bit more so we could actually have a subsidy that would encourage a few more people to go along?

just a thought.

Sorry I have been busy with other things today and we agreed to let RFC announce it. The players have offered £5k and as we wanted to spread the benefit we decided to charge £5 rather than the planned £20 for 350 as that is the number of coaches we know we can have, we could have made if free for fewer or £10 for more coaches to find that we cannot book them.

Maybe you think they should have forked out more - lets see how this goes before rushing to judgement. Maybe if it works well we can encourage them to do it again :)

AndyRFC
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by AndyRFC » 04 Nov 2007 19:54

Sorry I have been busy with other things today and we agreed to let RFC announce it. The players have offered £5k and as we wanted to spread the benefit we decided to charge £5 rather than the planned £20 for 350 as that is the number of coaches we know we can have, we could have made if free for fewer or £10 for more coaches to find that we cannot book them.

Thats fair enough I supppse. Especially if STAR couldn't meet demand. I remember the Cardiff trip for the Playoffs and STAR or RFSC as it may have been then? actually sending the old double decker buses up the M4.

That must've been a logistical nightmare. Its not often RFC do things like this, so maybe we should be happy, but I'm sure there may be many who have already booked things, who would've liked to take up the offer.

If they had won yesterday, maybe they would not have given us this!

mini _dariusz

by mini _dariusz » 04 Nov 2007 20:04

"Royals dig deep for fans' travel"

:lol:

Yeah, it's like five minutes wages for them all, f ucking dinlo's. :roll: :lol:

Readingfanman
Hob Nob Regular

by Readingfanman » 04 Nov 2007 20:18

£5000 between them?

So that's a few hundred quid each? Hardly much. It's a gesture , not really much of one if I'm honest. 350 people will benefit , if the players wanted a true large away following , they would lay on enough coaches for 3000 fans and pay for their match tickets as well as the travel.

Sorry if this seems moany moany. But as much as a nice gesture it is , ultimatley it is a bit strange.

STAR Liaison
Hob Nob Regular

by STAR Liaison » 04 Nov 2007 20:19

AndyRFC
If they had won yesterday, maybe they would not have given us this!

No this was all arranged last week but we agreed to announce it after the Fulham game so that we could give our regular travellers a chance to hear about it first on the coaches to Fulham.

mini _dariusz

by mini _dariusz » 04 Nov 2007 20:25

Basically all it means is that the regulars get a bit of discount - won't encourage any extra's to go.

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 04 Nov 2007 20:25

for a long time it has been suggested that the club do similar to others and offer cheap/free travel, unfortunately it happens at RFC and a mere 350 will save £15, harsh but true

Readingfanman
Hob Nob Regular

by Readingfanman » 04 Nov 2007 20:38

mini _dariusz Basically all it means is that the regulars get a bit of discount - won't encourage any extra's to go.

So the "large away following" they so wish for becomes a bit pointless really.

Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict
Location: at a cricket ground somewhere around the country........

by Kitsondinho » 04 Nov 2007 21:26

Damn living in Chesterfield, I'm going to have to pay full price for such a long journey.....all £7.50 on the train!

Jerry St Clair
Hob Nob Regular

by Jerry St Clair » 04 Nov 2007 21:52

Are the players going to pay 350 crates of beer to help the intrepid away fans get through another piss poor away "performance" from our heroes?

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 04 Nov 2007 22:31

Would rather have seen the subsidy used for match tickets instead of coach tickets, therefore exiles and ordinary fans who don't use STAR don't miss out, however I applaud the gesture shown.

rabidbee
Hob Nob Regular

by rabidbee » 04 Nov 2007 23:51

Kitsondinho Damn living in Chesterfield, I'm going to have to pay full price for such a long journey.....all £7.50 on the train!

I'll be paying £1.90 on the tram. :-p

rob the royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rob the royal » 05 Nov 2007 02:20

starliaison Sorry I have been busy with other things today and we agreed to let RFC announce it. The players have offered £5k and as we wanted to spread the benefit we decided to charge £5 rather than the planned £20 for 350 as that is the number of coaches we know we can have, we could have made if free for fewer or £10 for more coaches to find that we cannot book them.

Maybe you think they should have forked out more - lets see how this goes before rushing to judgement. Maybe if it works well we can encourage them to do it again :)

completely agree with the way you've got it set up. it's just on the club website i'm sure they threw in something along the lines of 'should encourage a good turnout' or something similar. if the aim was to get more people to go they should have given you more money to play with.

if on the other hand it was simply supposed to be a thank you to the most loyal supporters then i think they've got it spot on.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 05 Nov 2007 08:58

Excellent move from the players, perhaps they should continue to do it until they win a league game away from home..... might help concentrate their minds :D

EASTENDER MARKY

by EASTENDER MARKY » 05 Nov 2007 09:21

Fair play to the players, they didn't have to do it so it is a nice gesture. Although 350 places will just go to the regulars and I doubt it will see loads of extra people decide to travel. Also 5k isn't a massive amount for players to contribute but at least they have contributed something! I'm driving up for this game though, would be tempted if they done the same thing for Boro away!!

gazzer, loyal royal
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Khalifa Cisse sleeps with the light on, not because he is afraid of the dark, but because the dark i

by gazzer, loyal royal » 05 Nov 2007 10:21

its a nice gesture but i don't think they realised that the proportion of RFC don't get the coach to every mcuh but drive or get the train. i know they can't subsidise the travle but thought it would be a nice gesture to the first 350 people to get money off the tickets as well as the most loyalty points are the people who go to the most games

Elm Park

by Elm Park » 05 Nov 2007 10:27

starliaison Sorry I have been busy with other things today and we agreed to let RFC announce it. The players have offered £5k and as we wanted to spread the benefit we decided to charge £5 rather than the planned £20 for 350 as that is the number of coaches we know we can have, we could have made if free for fewer or £10 for more coaches to find that we cannot book them.

I know you can't win on this one as you would get critism from those who do not benefit if the 350 go very quickly and get critism if you made it £10 and then didn't sell enough.

My personal opinion, and I hope I'm proved wrong, is that I won't get a chance to go. When I saw this first on the official site I thought "great, I will go after all (I wasn't going to go to this game as I went last year) and take my wife and kids as well", but as my wife isn't a Star member at the moment (she's only been to one game so far), I can't see that I will get a chance. Which is a shame, especially as the gesture by the players was meant to get more people going not to subsidise those that would be going anyway.

With the cost of travel and tickets I can only afford to go to about 4 away games a season. This was going to be a bonus. Lets just hope that STAR are right and that they won't sell out of the subsidised travel and we will be able to go.

124 posts