Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Rawlie19 » 17 Jan 2008 07:43

:lol:

shadesrwrf
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by shadesrwrf » 17 Jan 2008 08:04

Mark Longden, from the Manchester United Independent Supporters' Association, said: "It sends out entirely the wrong message about the kind of person Manchester United are taking to games.

"I don't think we are a load of junkies. We are just going there to watch the match and are paying £36 to go into a theatre of entertainment."

Well if you're not a load of junkies you've nothing to worry about have you? Pisses me off this kind of stuff. Liberal do-gooders like Longden whinging about civil liberties are the very reason this country's in the state it is. Search him first say I.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 17 Jan 2008 08:24

Disagree entirely.

Once again football supporters are being branded as the root of most evils. There is probably a far higher percentage of people carrying drugs around the average shopping centre on a Saturday afternoon than there are at the average football match - yet we rarely see sniffer dogs etc. being deployed there.

No doubt drug offences committed in Whitley will now conveniently go down as 'football related'! :evil:

Haven't the club got far more important things to worry about at present?

And even if they are worried about traces of white powder in the bogs, they are probably reaping what they have sown in terms of the class of person (in financial terms) their pricing and marketing policies are attracting!

Unless, of course, (to set the hares running) it's not drugs the dogs will be sniffing for.

Zammo
Hob Nob Addict

by Zammo » 17 Jan 2008 09:13

Don't look at me.

Regards,

Zammo

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 17 Jan 2008 09:13

RoyalBlue Haven't the club got far more important things to worry about at present?

I doubt the club are worrying about it at all. It is the TVP that will be doing all the work, not RFC.

I don't see the issue. A football stadium is a volatile place and the influence of anything that could increase the risks of trouble needs to be removed. That is the reason why I believe alcohol should not be served inside football stadiums.

philM

by philM » 17 Jan 2008 09:14

"..with Reading aiming to deter drug use in and around the ground.."

What absolute bollocks. If people were smoking spliffs we'd smell them, and we don't. If people are doing lines of charlie then that'll be going on in the loo and the dogs won't stop it.

I guess people might be necking pills but I can't imagine many people would want to watch a football match on ecstacy.

If they are doing acid then God 'elp 'em.

Sounds to me like another New Labour style policy without much purpose apart from getting press coverage,.

PurpleTurtle

by PurpleTurtle » 17 Jan 2008 09:42

How out of touch are RFC to even contemplate allowing this?

There is by their own admission no drugs problem at the Mad Stad. If there was even a sniff of one (no pun intended) I would support this, however its the 'ban it' culture gone haywire.

I'll be even more pissed off that I can't get to the bar to get a pint because of god knows how many numpties getting in the way trying to pat some wired up spaniel.

Statistical evidence of hoolies kicking off because they are on Class A's or weed....zero.

Statistical evidence of hoolies kicking off because they are pissed on the very product that RFC sells (slowly) across the bar.....lots

:roll:

(I don't do illegal drugs myself but resent being searched for them in a so-called free country)

Rawlie19
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Rawlie19 » 17 Jan 2008 09:45

philM "..with Reading aiming to deter drug use in and around the ground.."

What absolute bollocks. If people were smoking spliffs we'd smell them, and we don't. If people are doing lines of charlie then that'll be going on in the loo and the dogs won't stop it.

I guess people might be necking pills but I can't imagine many people would want to watch a football match on ecstacy.

If they are doing acid then God 'elp 'em.

Sounds to me like another New Labour style policy without much purpose apart from getting press coverage,.

They should have been in the stadium for the Australia v Jamaica game a few years ago. I came out high and have never even smoked!

Rawlie19
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Rawlie19 » 17 Jan 2008 09:46

PurpleTurtle I don't do illegal drugs myself but resent being searched for them in a so-called free country

It's not a free country when it comes to doing drugs, and generally breaking any other laws. HTH.

Geekins
Hob Nob Regular

by Geekins » 17 Jan 2008 09:48

Who cannot make the game now because of unforseen circumstances? :lol:

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 17 Jan 2008 09:55

Frankly having to stomach Gunnarsson lumbering about the pitch without the stimulus of some Class A is a severe infringement of my Human Rights..

STAR Voice

by STAR Voice » 17 Jan 2008 09:56

I understand that this will be done by a private company - the same one which does the pubs and clubs in Reading town centre. They're quite aggressive in their marketing, and I'd imagine that they've approached the club saying they'll do this for nothing and the club haven't given it much thought before agreeing to it. So I doubt it's costing the club anything, but instead is just something of an "experiment".

The problem I have is that - as always - football supporters are an easy target for such experiments. There is no culture of drugs at football matches - no dealer in their right mind would deal there as it's too crowded, and I've never heard even of the odd joint at matches. So why this now?

If there's any evidence of a specific problem why not target that evidence instead of such a broad-brush, one-size-fits all approach. Instead, it's more of the usual approach that football supporters are an easy target. As an example, there were recently airport-style barriers and body searches at Southampton Station (for their fixture v Leicester), as an initiative to catch supporters with knifes. They found one supporter with a nail in their pocket! Just how prevalent are knife-crime and drug abuse at football matches compared to out on the streets - but where are initiatives like this always directed?

It's one thing after another for a sector of the population which is criminalised just because we choose to spend our leisure time watching football, and I'm very disappointed that the club has agreed to this without considering the impact upon their customers and the very negative message this sends to them and to potential new customers at a time when they're trying to build up attendances.

Ask yourself - do you think the same sniffer dogs will be deployed in the same way the next time London Irish play at the MadStad?

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 17 Jan 2008 09:57

Will this also apply to the players?

Where's Rio gone?

Nezhen

by Nezhen » 17 Jan 2008 10:11

Whilst it's doubtful, there are a number of candidates in the Lower West who could very easily be mistaken for being on something. There certainly seem to be a few strange looking fans in that area any anyway! :lol:

The whole year inn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by The whole year inn » 17 Jan 2008 10:14

Vision Frankly having to stomach Gunnarsson lumbering about the pitch without the stimulus of some Class A is a severe infringement of my Human Rights..

When I see his name on the teamsheet I have to rush to the bogs to shoot up.

Going to have to disguise it as insulin or something now :cry:

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 17 Jan 2008 10:16

Agree with the STAR campaigns post entirely and hope they will take issue with club.

As for the rugby, in the eyes of the police, one football fan's thuggish anti social behaviour is a rugby fans 'high spirits'.

STAR Voice

by STAR Voice » 17 Jan 2008 10:24

To clarify on this, and to give people a better idea of what to expect on Saturday, as people enter through the turnstiles there will be a sniffer dog there.

If the dog detects any signs of drugs on anyone walking past then they will be taken aside and searched - but no-one will be searched as a matter of course.

But although this isn't as intrusive as suggested in the Evening Post story, I still think that the club have been naive in accepting this "free trial" from the suppliers of this service without thinking through the message it sends out to peopel who are their customers.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 17 Jan 2008 10:28

STAR Campaigns To clarify on this, and to give people a better idea of what to expect on Saturday, as people enter through the turnstiles there will be a sniffer dog there.

If the dog detects any signs of drugs on anyone walking past then they will be taken aside and searched - but no-one will be searched as a matter of course.

But although this isn't as intrusive as suggested in the Evening Post story, I still think that the club have been naive in accepting this "free trial" from the suppliers of this service without thinking through the message it sends out to peopel who are their customers.

The post on the OS also refers to "proactive screening of vehicles", so what other activities will be carried out?

royal.badger

by royal.badger » 17 Jan 2008 10:29

Cant:
STAND
SING
SHOUT
SWEAR
DRINK
SMOKE
HAVE AN OPINION
and now we cant even do drugs before a game.
This is the end.

112 posts