What will we average next season?

What will our average attendance be next season?

Below 16,000
13%
16-17,000
12%
17-18,000
16%
18-19,000
16%
19-20,000
21%
20-21,000
10%
21-22,000
7%
22-23,000
1%
23,000+
3%

Total votes: 89
Winchester Royal
Hob Nob Regular

What will we average next season?

by Winchester Royal » 16 Jun 2008 11:50

I reckon we'll drop to about 18-19,000 average.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: What will we average next season?

by Stranded » 16 Jun 2008 12:32

All depends on how we do...

I can see the Plymouth game struggle to get over 18k. If we do well, and in are in contention come Xmas I can see the majority of games selling out in the 2nd half of the season giving us a 20K+ average.

If we struggle or sit around mid-table for most of the year then we'll struggle to get 18K IMO.

madreadingfan

by madreadingfan » 16 Jun 2008 12:52

I reckon we will still get a fair few from like around the 20,000 mark

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 16 Jun 2008 13:01

I think we'll get around 16,000-17,000.

voice of reason

by voice of reason » 16 Jun 2008 13:26

The season we won the Championship I think there were 13000 home fans and 3000 away fans, roughly, against Plymouth on the opening day. Its probably fair to say our Premiership adventure has picked us up a couple thousand extra prepared to stick around for Championship football.

If we are doing well come October matches might start reaching 20K, but only against teams who can sell out pretty much the whole of the south stand. After Xmas, as already mentioned, if we are doing well and looking good for promotion fans will look to guarentee their seat for Premiership football and get involved with half season tickets and matches will start to sell out.

Given how thickle Reading fans are, and if reports of only 4000 renewals are true at all, and we have a mid-table season then I think anything over 15K would be a bit of a miracle.

Streets

by Streets » 16 Jun 2008 13:28

19-20000 avg.

Not that great away attendances from a handful of clubs and if we're not in the mix for promotion, we'll only pull in 16,500 as the hardcore home support.

voice of reason

by voice of reason » 16 Jun 2008 13:46

Streets 19-20000 avg.

Not that great away attendances from a handful of clubs and if we're not in the mix for promotion, we'll only pull in 16,500 as the hardcore home support.

16,500 hardcore home support? Thats pretty optimistic, borderline ridiculous. Id be amazed if we had 14,000 home fans against say Blackpool if we are lingering around mid-table, expect a few Kids for a Quid and similar promotions next season.

Roger the Rabbit

by Roger the Rabbit » 16 Jun 2008 13:47

a few Kids for a Quid and similar promotions next season.
--------

Like we have every season you mean ?

voice of reason

by voice of reason » 16 Jun 2008 14:48

Roger the Rabbit a few Kids for a Quid and similar promotions next season.
--------

Like we have every season you mean ?

Don't think we have had any Kids for a Quid the last two seasons actually? Last season I think they had one young royal promotion and a "bring a mate for half price" promotion, but nothing the year before.

I was only trying emphasize the point that it could, success depending, be very hard to fill seats next season. Promotions like Kids for a Quid are a clear indicator of how difficult the club is finding it to sell out the ground. Therefore by suggesting there are going to be a lot of promotions, maybe 4 or 5 over the course of the season which is more than in any one of the the previous 3 seasons at least, I was implying the club will find it difficult to sell out the groud.

I therefore stand by my statement.

Roger the Rabbit

by Roger the Rabbit » 16 Jun 2008 15:50

They did a couple of YR promotions last season plus the buy one, get one helf price whatever it was. All in all it seems the marketing was good last year given the consistent sell outs.

You can't do Kid for a Quid in the Prem as I believe it is a Football League initiative which requires all clubs to do it - no chance of getting Man Utd or Liverpool to do it ! As such it doesn;t show how hard it is to sell tickets directly, it's a wider scheme aimed at getting kids to games everywhere.

It will no doubt be the case that we'll do what we've done for years and run promotions as often as we can. To think that selling tickets for games against Barnsley, Blackpool and Burnley might be harder than for Liverpool , Man Utd and Chelsea must be a given. Hopefully we'll have loads of schemes ready to encourage people to keep coming to games, and those who struggled to get tickets should now be able to get along more easily.

It will be an interesting test of how much the club has grown.

And by the way, I believe 4k renewals ia about the same as this time last year so don;t think the word'only' applies.

Row Z Royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: LOLandmarks come and go. There'll only ever be one "Clickety Clique"

by Row Z Royal » 16 Jun 2008 18:37

I reckon we'll "average" below 16,000 for the season.

Such are the fickleties of football.

voice of reason

by voice of reason » 16 Jun 2008 18:50

Roger the Rabbit They did a couple of YR promotions last season plus the buy one, get one helf price whatever it was. All in all it seems the marketing was good last year given the consistent sell outs.

You can't do Kid for a Quid in the Prem as I believe it is a Football League initiative which requires all clubs to do it - no chance of getting Man Utd or Liverpool to do it ! As such it doesn;t show how hard it is to sell tickets directly, it's a wider scheme aimed at getting kids to games everywhere.

It will no doubt be the case that we'll do what we've done for years and run promotions as often as we can. To think that selling tickets for games against Barnsley, Blackpool and Burnley might be harder than for Liverpool , Man Utd and Chelsea must be a given. Hopefully we'll have loads of schemes ready to encourage people to keep coming to games, and those who struggled to get tickets should now be able to get along more easily.

And by the way, I believe 4k renewals ia about the same as this time last year so don;t think the word'only' applies.

I would love to see the evidence that last season 5 working days before the deadline only 4k had renewed, as that means over 13k season ticket holders all renewed in the last week? If this was the case pretty sure RFC would have been bricking it at the start of the week and the ticket office unindated for the rest of it.

Regardless, the renewal habbits of STH's last season doesn't go very far in accurately predicting their habbits for this. The hardcore loyal fans are always more likely to renew sooner rather than later its the other 10,000 that should be worried about, chances are more of them are going to decide in the last week to sack it off this season then decided to sack it off last season. This year, logically, people sitting on the fence are surely more likly to opt to not renew than they were last season, therefore making the 4k statistic from last season fairly irrelevant.

And either way of 18,500 season ticket holders, having 4000 renewed (less than a 1/4) with one week available in which to renew it makes pretty poor reading for RFC and certainly justifies the use of the word "only".

I personally question this 4k number being banded around, but if accurate certainly doesnt leave me feeling optimistic.

Roger the Rabbit

by Roger the Rabbit » 16 Jun 2008 19:31

On the basis that we don;t know whether 4k have renewed, we don;t know how many had renewed this time last year and this week will inevitably be the busiest renewal week I'd suggest it's all a bit hypothetical.

Biggest non statement ever is that we'll have fewer STH than last year, we'll see in August what the number is and until then it's not exactly going to cause me to worry in the slightest.

rfcjoe
Hob Nob Regular

by rfcjoe » 16 Jun 2008 20:32

I think we will average around 17,000 tbh.

Roger the Rabbit

by Roger the Rabbit » 16 Jun 2008 20:38

Perhaps some weeks we'll average 17k, good weeks we'll average 20k and midweek against Blackpool we'll only average 14k.

rfcjoe
Hob Nob Regular

by rfcjoe » 16 Jun 2008 20:42

You can't average one attendance one week and something else the next week - the average is a set of figures from a period of time didvided by how many figures there are.

HTH

Royalshow

by Royalshow » 16 Jun 2008 20:46

voice of reason
Roger the Rabbit They did a couple of YR promotions last season plus the buy one, get one helf price whatever it was. All in all it seems the marketing was good last year given the consistent sell outs.

I would love to see the evidence that last season 5 working days before the deadline only 4k had renewed, as that means over 13k season ticket holders all renewed in the last week? If this was the case pretty sure RFC would have been bricking it at the start of the week and the ticket office unindated for the rest of it.

Regardless, the renewal habbits of STH's last season doesn't go very far in accurately predicting their habbits for this. The hardcore loyal fans are always more likely to renew sooner rather than later its the other 10,000 that should be worried about, chances are more of them are going to decide in the last week to sack it off this season then decided to sack it off last season. This year, logically, people sitting on the fence are surely more likly to opt to not renew than they were last season, therefore making the 4k statistic from last season fairly irrelevant.

And either way of 18,500 season ticket holders, having 4000 renewed (less than a 1/4) with one week available in which to renew it makes pretty poor reading for RFC and certainly justifies the use of the word "only".

I personally question this 4k number being banded around, but if accurate certainly doesnt leave me feeling optimistic.

Word on the street is only 345 people have renewed! :shock:

Row Z Royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: LOLandmarks come and go. There'll only ever be one "Clickety Clique"

by Row Z Royal » 16 Jun 2008 21:32

rfcjoe You can't average one attendance one week and something else the next week - the average is a set of figures from a period of time didvided by how many figures there are.

HTH

The average will change each week.

:|

rfcjoe
Hob Nob Regular

by rfcjoe » 16 Jun 2008 21:35

Roger the Rabbit Perhaps some weeks we'll average 17k, good weeks we'll average 20k and midweek against Blackpool we'll only average 14k.

But he said the averages will change dramatically every week which is close to impossible.Your average can't drop and increase this dramatic unless you have very perculiar figures which you don't usually get at Reading as its fairly consistent over a prolonged period of time.
Last edited by rfcjoe on 16 Jun 2008 21:42, edited 1 time in total.

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 16 Jun 2008 21:40

Where does this figure of 4k renewals come from then?

We have had this type of 'rumour' in past seasons - and they have always been wrong.

ps I have renewed, as has my daughter. Oh, and my dad, my nephew and my brother-in-law.