Offical campaign to name the stands at reading

114 posts
parky
Hob Nob Regular

Offical campaign to name the stands at reading

by parky » 05 Jun 2009 22:08

Personally I am sick and tired of having four stands named after the points of a compass, and unlike other clubs not having history at our club represented in our stadium. Now I know this wasn't the case either at Elm Park, but It's time for change and the only way this will get done is by supporter action so get out and contact the club to make this change. Oh and any suggestions for names?

Royalshow

Re: Offical campaign to name the stands at reading

by Royalshow » 05 Jun 2009 23:27

I'm sure as the world and his dog are in love with Facebook and twatter at the moment, getting a group requesting a stand naming would get quite far.I reckon "the Copp" for the north stand.Or just the Steve Coppell stand.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 05 Jun 2009 23:28

Even though the club constantly churn out the old guff about sponsorship, I am with you on this.

1. The Terry Bullivant Taxi Rank

Seriously, there needs to be a poll based on the most popular people associated with the club. The only draw back is what happens in say 10 to 20 years when all parts of the stadium are named and we go and do something daft like win a major honour?

I would like to see SSC honoured in such a way. The Evans family want nothing more than a plaque. How about something for Frank Orton? or Sydenham? The guy who got the ball rolling to start with. Why dont we have a hall of fame and induct players into it and once inducted their numbers retired. OK, sounds a bit yank but...

What I would suggest is change the name of the Jazz Club or whatever it is called to Friday's.

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 06 Jun 2009 01:07

The Martyn Booty Stand.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 06 Jun 2009 07:32

Terminal Boardom Seriously, there needs to be a poll based on the most popular people associated with the club. The only draw back is what happens in say 10 to 20 years when all parts of the stadium are named and we go and do something daft like win a major honour?

Good idea - we could have it just like the poll that Man City had when naming stands at Eastlands. Then the supporters of every other club could join in and vote - which is why at Eastlands there is now the (Colin) Bell End.

The WayneWanklyn Stand, anyone? :roll:

fozziebear

by fozziebear » 06 Jun 2009 09:23

I would like to see the east stand named, The Robin Friday Stand,

Sussex exile

by Sussex exile » 06 Jun 2009 11:02

The Bas Savage stand :roll:

Matt de K

by Matt de K » 06 Jun 2009 11:02

North to be renamed "The Copp End"

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 06 Jun 2009 13:14

West Stand - The Roy Tranter Stand (recognising his role in the saving of the club, appropriate since he sat in the West)
South Stand - The Martin Hicks Stand (record apperances, which are unlikely to ever be bettered)
East Stand - The Robin Friday Stand (controversial due to his non footballing issues and general behaviour but for the 'popular' stand our player of the Millenium is the only choice)
North Stand - The JE Sydenham Stand (whether he did start the club or not, a recognition of our long history)

I think those avoid the knee jerk reaction to more recent event and recognise figures from our history.

It's too early to recognise Coppell IMHO but perhaps in the future he deserves something in his honour - when we do the expansion I'm sure something appropriate will be part of it.

Deathy
Hob Nob Regular

by Deathy » 06 Jun 2009 13:21

parky Personally I am sick and tired of having four stands named after the points of a compass, and unlike other clubs not having history at our club represented in our stadium. Now I know this wasn't the case either at Elm Park, but It's time for change and the only way this will get done is by supporter action so get out and contact the club to make this change. Oh and any suggestions for names?

This will always have my vote.

I don't buy into the bollocks that we can't do it because of sponsors and sponsors not liking having for example: The Robin Friday Fosters South Stand.

I hate how we moved to the Madejski Stadium and seemed to want to forget our past. This is a simple little change we can make and it would mean a lot to the supporters. Or I feel it would.

I like Sun's choices. But you have to have something for Steve Coppell, imo.

I don't think anyone would vote for him as his time at Reading was during the war and not all that significant, but lets not forget a certain Sir Matt Busby played for Reading.

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 06 Jun 2009 14:03

It will never ever happen under the current Chairman and Chief Executive.

parky
Hob Nob Regular

by parky » 06 Jun 2009 14:09

RG30 It will never ever happen under the current Chairman and Chief Executive.

Explain why not?

Matt de K

by Matt de K » 06 Jun 2009 14:35

parky
RG30 It will never ever happen under the current Chairman and Chief Executive.

Explain why not?

Because there's no money to be made. It will be deemed an unnecessary expense.

Darren Caskey's Dietician
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Darren Caskey's Dietician » 06 Jun 2009 14:45

I'd back this idea.

Coppell, Friday, Death and Hicks for me.

Row Z Royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: LOLandmarks come and go. There'll only ever be one "Clickety Clique"

by Row Z Royal » 06 Jun 2009 15:26

parky Personally I am sick and tired of having four stands named after the points of a compass, and unlike other clubs not having history at our club represented in our stadium. Now I know this wasn't the case either at Elm Park, but It's time for change and the only way this will get done is by supporter action so get out and contact the club to make this change. Oh and any suggestions for names?

Rubbish idea.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 06 Jun 2009 18:17

If that makes you sick and tired, i dread to think what else does!!

moo
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by moo » 06 Jun 2009 18:44

The Death Stand :) :lol:

Deathy
Hob Nob Regular

by Deathy » 06 Jun 2009 18:55

moo The Death Stand :) :lol:

AKA The Death End :lol:

I think there could be quite a lot of support for this and if a few people went out of their way, they could take it to the football club and see what happens. If enough supporters back the campaign, it's harder for the club to ignore the idea.

Plenty of other clubs mix the naming of a stand with a sponsor as well, so that little gem can be put down as just another excuse.

Maybe someone can take the idea to the local rags for a supporters vote or something. See what the response is like and take it from there...

Baines
Hob Nob Regular

by Baines » 06 Jun 2009 19:39

One of the ends behind a goal should be called the Michael Gilkes stand. The opposite one the Scotty Taylor stand.

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

by Sarah Star » 06 Jun 2009 19:41

Coppell, Friday and Death for me too. Not sure about the fourth name, but it would make the Madejski seem more like a home instead of a soulless stadium.

114 posts