Spammed by London Irish

179 posts
total_biscuit

Spammed by London Irish

by total_biscuit » 11 Dec 2009 09:27

Anyone else annoyed by them.

First it was emails, now I'm getting text messages from the tenants. Why would I want to watch people tearing up my football pitch ?

TB

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Spammed by London Irish

by Stranded » 11 Dec 2009 10:03

It's infinitely more fun that watching the football at the minute - at least they win games.

Zammo
Hob Nob Addict

by Zammo » 11 Dec 2009 12:31

London Irish are the bigger club. FACT.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 11 Dec 2009 18:14

I know that an awful lot of people are - rightly or wrongly - getting annoyed by these emails and texts.

royalshaker

by royalshaker » 11 Dec 2009 19:33

i got a text this morning . i would not mind if i had ever been to watch them , but never have and have no intention of doin so

rob the royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rob the royal » 12 Dec 2009 12:40

royalshaker i got a text this morning . i would not mind if i had ever been to watch them , but never have and have no intention of doin so

+1

just cos I've been to the O2 won't mean that I'll want to go and see Jedward if they ever do a gig there...

Muskrat
Hob Nob Regular

by Muskrat » 12 Dec 2009 20:24

Zammo London Irish are the bigger club. FACT.

So big in fact that they have to pay us £250,000 a year to play in our stadium. :roll:

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 16 Dec 2009 10:11

I received a text from the egg chasers as well, and was hacked off for the following reason; at no time have I knowingly given London Irish my mobile phone number, and I have never given implicit permission for Reading FC to give my mobile number to any other organisation. Therefore, there appears to me to be a breach of the Data Protection Act here......

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 16 Dec 2009 11:36

I could be wrong but I believe you would have given your details to the Madjeski Ticket Office which covers all events at the stadium hence why you are getting contacted by LI.

weybridgewanderer
Hob Nob Regular

by weybridgewanderer » 16 Dec 2009 12:38

I have mailed the club and asked them

1/ when have i provided persmission for them to pass my details on to another organisation

2/ how can I withdraw this permission

Rather than whinging on a message board, I suggest everyone else that is unhappy about the situation does the same

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 16 Dec 2009 13:38

Thaumagurist*
Hob Nob Regular

by Thaumagurist* » 16 Dec 2009 14:26

Platypuss
Stranded I could be wrong

IMO you probably are:

http://www.reading.talent-sport.co.uk/PagesPublic/UserControlled/PrivacyPolicy.aspx

Thanks for posting that. I see that it says:

If you have indicated that you wish to hear about other offers, products and services provided by Read or other reputable Reading Football Club third parties; from time to time, they will inform you of these by email, telephone or mail.

Which probably means that they think they have the right to provide LI the information, though I don't remember indicating that I would be happy to receive an email from LI. However, I note:

3. What are your choices?

By law, you are entitled to:

i. object to your personal information being used for marketing purposes. We give you the choice to opt-out of our using, or supplying your personal information to the Club or to other reputable suppliers for these purposes. You can do this during the registration process by simply unticking the box provided.

Hmmmm, I'm fairly sure I unticked that box as is always my habit to say no when I'm filling in any registration forms.

weybridgewanderer
Hob Nob Regular

by weybridgewanderer » 18 Dec 2009 11:17

Dear WeybridgeWanderer,

Thank you for your email. I am very sorry that you received a text from London Irish. This should not have happened, unfortunately due to a technical error some supporters were added to their mailing list. At some stage we have added some Loyalty points to your account, the product code is ‘LOYALTY POINT EXTRA’S’. This product was picked up when we made a database extract to London Irish.

We thought that everyone’s details had been removed, so I apologise and I will pass this email on to London Irish so they can remove you from their database.

Kind Regards

Thaumagurist*
Hob Nob Regular

by Thaumagurist* » 18 Dec 2009 11:37

Good work, looks like it was an accident.

STAR Voice

by STAR Voice » 18 Dec 2009 13:43

This was brought up by STAR at the Senior Management and the club confirmed it shouldn't be happening and that there are two separate databases. They're looking into it to see what's gone wrong.

Tart Man
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Tart Man » 18 Dec 2009 22:21

I'll assume that Readinng FCs data protection officer has reported this breach of the Data Protection Act to the appropriate authorities for thorough investigation....

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 24 Feb 2010 10:02

I've received another spam email from those pesky squatters, something to do with a certain saints day for the Irish. I wonder if anyone else got this as well. I've fired off an email to member services telling them that this is the second time I've unsubscribed myself from their mailing list and asked them to make sure I'm not on it in future.

Waiting for a reply....

Comfortably Numb

by Comfortably Numb » 24 Feb 2010 10:13

Jesus. You get 2 spam emails in 3 months. What a fuss about nothing. I hope you ended your email with "Don't you know who I am?!"

TFF
Hob Nob Addict

by TFF » 24 Feb 2010 10:18

I got that mail, also having tried to unsubscribe previously.

We currently hold some details about you on our database. We'd like to make sure that these are up to date so that you continue to receive news and information from us.

They have my name, email and postal address, home and mobile phone numbers. I didn't give them that information.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 24 Feb 2010 10:20

SpaceCruiser I've received another spam email from those pesky squatters, something to do with a certain saints day for the Irish. I wonder if anyone else got this as well. I've fired off an email to member services telling them that this is the second time I've unsubscribed myself from their mailing list and asked them to make sure I'm not on it in future.

Waiting for a reply....

Wow, keep us informed with how you get on

Which saint's day was it BTW?

179 posts