England v Denmark

121 posts
Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

Re: England v Denmark

by Ascotexgunner » 20 Jun 2024 18:38

Id have taken Madison personally. Think he was a better option sitting in midfield than TAA. Good box to box player.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 20 Jun 2024 18:39

It's been less bad since Gallagher came on for TAA and even more less bad with Watkins on.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 20 Jun 2024 18:41

22 goal Cole Palmer sits on the bench.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 20 Jun 2024 18:42

Guehi did well there after stitching his team up.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 20 Jun 2024 18:43

Thank god we're not playing Romania or Albania!

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 20 Jun 2024 18:44

St Pauli
Green
St Pauli
Doesn’t look that bad to me. What do you want from a pitch?

I know you're in Wales now but just a reminder the code for today's game is association football.

Ok.

I just get the feeling if England could play football and score goals no one would be complaining about the pitch.

You should see the grass tennis courts at Halle in Germany. This pitch is better than those. They have had so much rain and humidity.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 20 Jun 2024 18:44

Pathetic. Sack him immediately after the game.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 20 Jun 2024 18:46

England have managed a whopping 4 shots on target compared to 7 from Denmark. Pathetic.

Can't recall anything worth the term "shot" from England in the 2nd half.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 20 Jun 2024 18:51

Awful referee.

Awful pitch.

Awful performance.

Awful manager.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 20 Jun 2024 18:53

Sutekh Awful referee.

Awful pitch.

Awful performance.

Awful manager.

Think the ref was pretty lenient on England......Couple of times Denmark broke and were called back.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 20 Jun 2024 18:53

Utter garbage. Pathetic.

tulip
Hob Nob Addict

by tulip » 20 Jun 2024 19:03

Denmark looked more likely to win that one.
England look really really poor.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 20 Jun 2024 19:22

Very unbalanced. Looks like a lot of players unsure of tactics and their role and therefore underperforming. Southgate has always been conservative, but previous tournaments have felt like they had a plan the players were buying into. This doesn't. Question is how long we limp on.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 20 Jun 2024 19:34

Why should we (and particularly the dreadful commentators) be so surprised?
How bad (compared with his normal brilliant self) was Bellingham and Rice whose passing along with Walker's was atrocious.?

I have said all along that our players nearly all look better when playing for their club sides because the likes of City, Arsenal and Liverpool are better than England.
In commentary it was mentioned that our best players are at their best when playing on the front foot and pressing but surely they have enough about them to be able to adjust or have they?

At least Trent only played for 60 minutes so can't be blamed for everything wrong the WHOLE of the game.

Pickford and the goal?
It was a very long way out and wasn't hit that hard.

I did feel that for the last 10 minutes we were playing for the draw which may turn out to have been the right thing to do.

As for Walker-he sounded like Sunak in choosing to ignore what has happened and "we move on" as we have a plan-presumably to bore teams into submission.

Has Cole Palmer said something to upset Southgate?

At least at my age I am one of the few on here to be able to say that I have seen England win a trophy and , although of course we were playing at home, the team was made up of real triers and even though they had 2 genuine world class players (3 if you include Banks) neither could be accused of being a prima donna whereas with some of these players you get the impression that they expect things to just happen rather than give everything to make it happen.

Final grouse-Foden, Saka, Bellingham and , to a lesser extent in this game, Kane just stay on your fcuking feet..

Oh well ,on to the mighty Slovenia (no easy games in the Euros-really?)

Take a look at Darren Farley on Youtube doing his Southgate impressions for a bit of light relief..

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 20 Jun 2024 19:49

As ever, football isn’t a game of choosing your 11 best overall players but the 11 best suited for the team. There’s a real mismatch of strengths in the team and as a result, there’s little to none cohesion

If the tactic is for our ST to drop deep and to have runners go beyond him, why are we playing a RW who hugs the touchline and a LW who plays to feet. It makes Kane’s role utterly redundant and he’s been a passenger for two straight games

Ditto Trent. What’s his actual purpose in the team? Easily bypassed in midfield, constantly loses the ball and is ever so weak in the challenge (on the occasion he’s actually there). If you play Trent in midfield, you play Gordon, Watkins etc etc, those with the movement in behind

And likewise that left side. Have a real bugbear of playing right footed players at LB, especially when the player in front of you isn’t actually a winger and spends the majority of the game tucked in. Gives Trippier next to no choice other than to pass back inside every time he gets the ball

Course, it’s been a bit of a recurring theme under Southgate that we win our first game before drawing the second so all hope is not lost but he needs a major rethink. Rice, in particular, was so far off it tonight and I’d have hoped Southgate would have seen the transformation in Rice’s game this season when pushed as more of a box to box midfielder rather than the holding midfielder. Scope to give Wharton a start?

karbota
Hob Nob Regular

by karbota » 20 Jun 2024 19:51

[quote="South Coast Royal"]Why should we (and particularly the dreadful commentators) be so surprised?
How bad (compared with his normal brilliant self) was Bellingham and Rice whose passing along with Walker's was atrocious.?

I have said all along that our players nearly all look better when playing for their club sides because the likes of City, Arsenal and Liverpool are better than England.
In commentary it was mentioned that our best players are at their best when playing on the front foot and pressing but surely they have enough about them to be able to adjust or have they?

At least Trent only played for 60 minutes so can't be blamed for everything wrong the WHOLE of the game.

Pickford and the goal?
It was a very long way out and wasn't hit that hard.

I did feel that for the last 10 minutes we were playing for the draw which may turn out to have been the right thing to do.

As for Walker-he sounded like Sunak in choosing to ignore what has happened and "we move on" as we have a plan-presumably to bore teams into submission.

Has Cole Palmer said something to upset Southgate?

At least at my age I am one of the few on here to be able to say that I have seen England win a trophy and , although of course we were playing at home, the team was made up of real triers and even though they had 2 genuine world class players (3 if you include Banks) neither could be accused of being a prima donna whereas with some of these players you get the impression that they expect things to just happen rather than give everything to make it happen.

Final grouse-Foden, Saka, Bellingham and , to a lesser extent in this game, Kane just stay on your fcuking feet..

Oh well ,on to the mighty Slovenia (no easy games in the Euros-really?)

Take a look at Darren Farley on Youtube doing his Southgate impressions for a bit of light relief..[/quote]

Some very good points there, sick to the back teeth of hearing Shearers crap.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 20 Jun 2024 21:04

Good analysis on ITV about England before the Spain game I thought.

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 20 Jun 2024 21:43

Royal Rother Good analysis on ITV about England before the Spain game I thought.

What did they say?

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 20 Jun 2024 22:31

Green
Royal Rother Good analysis on ITV about England before the Spain game I thought.

What did they say?

https://youtu.be/t7KVOevLswQ?si=UqDuzeCW3-h5bd9o

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 20 Jun 2024 22:44

Interesting to see people start to question Kane - it's understandable. He likes to drop deep and has never had pace in behind. The problem is, the same is true for Foden and Bellingham. Even Saka likes to play in front of the defence, though he's quicker than all those guys mentioned.

For great players, the cliche is to "build your team around them", a luxury Kane has always had with Son at Spurs or Sterling for lots of his England career, both of whom complement him well. I remember Kane, Sterling and Rashford tearing Spain a new hole a few years ago playing such a style. But now we have too many talents to "build our team around" and it's not working. I personally think Gordon has to start as an option to give us more in behind, or we do the unthinkable and start Watkins ahead of Kane.

Which subsequently means dropping Foden or asking Bellingham to play deeper and be more disciplined.

Big decisions to make. It feels similar to 2006 when Sven was never brave enough to make the big calls that improved the team. Southgate has a a few games to get it right or his era ends on a real low.

121 posts