Qatar Hero - The World Cup 2022 thread

2186 posts
YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Qatar Hero - The World Cup 2022 thread

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 15 Dec 2022 10:56

Stranded
Sutekh
YorkshireRoyal99 Seems like it's going to be a good final, might be a bit of a dry third place play off on Saturday though with two teams that don't score many goals. Credit to Morocco though, they have performed well above expectations all tournament and were unlucky last night against France, quality prevailed.

Do people actually watch a 3rd place play off? Can’t imagine anything more pointless in a tournament.

Completists? Those who want to watch every game it is physically possible to do so.

Game isn't even live on a readily accessible channel over here, tucked away on some random subscription channel, so pretty sure it will attract an audience close to zero. Especially as they have also already played out a rather drab 0-0 in this tournament.

Is it not on at 3pm on ITV/BBC?

I still think people will watch it, it's just not obviously as important as semi-finals or final.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 15 Dec 2022 11:08

leon
Silver Fox Morocco certainly made all the Welsh talk of "nothing to be ashamed of, proud to have got here" seem a bit hollow.

Didn’t have you down as a little Englander.

Didn't have you down as a participation trophy kind of guy

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 15 Dec 2022 11:35

YorkshireRoyal99
Stranded
Sutekh
Do people actually watch a 3rd place play off? Can’t imagine anything more pointless in a tournament.

Completists? Those who want to watch every game it is physically possible to do so.

Game isn't even live on a readily accessible channel over here, tucked away on some random subscription channel, so pretty sure it will attract an audience close to zero. Especially as they have also already played out a rather drab 0-0 in this tournament.

I still think people will watch it, it's just not obviously as important as semi-finals or final.

Yes it is on BBC1, but I don't live in the UK. Imagine it will be a fairly low number of viewers still.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 15 Dec 2022 12:04

Stranded
YorkshireRoyal99
Stranded

Yes it is on BBC1, but I don't live in the UK. Imagine it will be a fairly low number of viewers still.

Do you think it would've been different if Germany were playing in the 3rd place play off?

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 15 Dec 2022 12:06

Silver Fox
leon
Silver Fox Morocco certainly made all the Welsh talk of "nothing to be ashamed of, proud to have got here" seem a bit hollow.

If I knew what that meant I could either agree or disagree.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 15 Dec 2022 12:38

leon
Silver Fox
leon

Reckon that makes us even

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 15 Dec 2022 12:42

Silver Fox
leon
Silver Fox

I doubt that.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 15 Dec 2022 13:17

Hendo
Stranded
YorkshireRoyal99

Do you think it would've been different if Germany were playing in the 3rd place play off?

Not when it comes to the channel no. Was announced ahead of the tournament that Telekom had bought the rights for the WC and the only place you could see all the games was on their Magenta TV platform. In reality, that meant there were only 8 games that were not available free to air (England v Senegal being one) but that included the 3rd place play-off. Just used the VPN and iPlayer/ITV Hub to catch the games that weren't available here that I wanted to catch, which was just the England one tbh.

Even if on free to air, it would only attract a small audience. 3rd place game is a glorified friendly in many ways and the last thing you want to watch if your team has just bowed out at the final hurdle. Should be scrapped but then I'm a fan of the idea of the the teams finished 3rd and 4th in groups going into a World Trophy competition instead of going home, so what do I know.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 15 Dec 2022 13:49

The 3rd place play off game is always more important after the tournament than during it; being able to say you finished 3rd in World Cup is better than saying you finished 4th.

Conservative_dad
Hob Nob Regular

by Conservative_dad » 15 Dec 2022 13:56

Mr Angry The 3rd place play off game is always more important after the tournament than during it; being able to say you finished 3rd in World Cup is better than saying you finished 4th.

'greed! Like when I pipped LUX to 3rd place in the Frimmers Annual Music Comp

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 15 Dec 2022 14:03

Mr Angry The 3rd place play off game is always more important after the tournament than during it; being able to say you finished 3rd in World Cup is better than saying you finished 4th.

Would imagine it'll be huge for Morocco.

tulip
Hob Nob Addict

by tulip » 15 Dec 2022 14:23

Hendo

Would imagine it'll be huge for Morocco.

We have a large Moroccan population here so it will be a popular watch. All of the games have been available here on mainstream tv.

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 15 Dec 2022 15:32

Conservative_dad

'greed! Like when I pipped LUX to 3rd place in the Frimmers Annual Music Comp

lol, I don't recall that.

But I shall henceforth hold it against you (added to the list)

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 15 Dec 2022 16:16

leon
Silver Fox
leon

I doubt that.

Don't be so hard on yourself fella

Ark Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Ark Royal » 15 Dec 2022 22:21

Visiting the US and watched the semi-finals easy enough on Fox Sports. Local mouth-breathing radio jock seriously believed that Fox Sports negotiated with FIFA an early kick off to the World Cup final (9:00 ET) on Sunday so that it does not impact on scheduled NFL games. Total weapon. :roll:

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 16 Dec 2022 08:16

Ark Royal Visiting the US and watched the semi-finals easy enough on Fox Sports. Local mouth-breathing radio jock seriously believed that Fox Sports negotiated with FIFA an early kick off to the World Cup final (9:00 ET) on Sunday so that it does not impact on scheduled NFL games. Total weapon. :roll:

The word Fox was probably the clue, there

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 16 Dec 2022 09:11

Ark Royal Visiting the US and watched the semi-finals easy enough on Fox Sports. Local mouth-breathing radio jock seriously believed that Fox Sports negotiated with FIFA an early kick off to the World Cup final (9:00 ET) on Sunday so that it does not impact on scheduled NFL games. Total weapon. :roll:

As much as there is absolutely no truth in Fox negotiating anything like the sort. I wouldn't put it past FIFA to have considered that when planning the World Cup on their own.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 16 Dec 2022 10:56

Hendo
I wouldn't put it past FIFA to have considered (fill in the blanks) when planning the World Cup.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 16 Dec 2022 11:45

Infantino says that, after the success of Group stages this WC, FIFA will reconsider the intention to reduce Groups to 3 teams in 2026.

Well, there’s a thing.

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 16 Dec 2022 12:45

Yeah, that doesn't sound at all like FIFA fixed the draw of the groups...

2186 posts