Who's more nervous about the siddy takeover?

TheMaraudingDog

Who's more nervous about the siddy takeover?

by TheMaraudingDog » 03 Sep 2008 11:13

Arsenal or Liverpool?

Financially we're not in great shape admittedly but our squad is high quality and deep and the Glazers haven't been shy with the money when it comes to signings. Although I suspect that we could go boom at any time.

Liverpool's squad is very young, lacking quality in depth and they can't afford to build the new stadium.

Arsenal haven't got much money, have to sell their best players every summer to keep the bank happy and their squad lacks depth.

I can't see it being us or Chelsea out of the top 4 and missing out on the Champions League but I can see it being one of those 2 unless DIC come in for the Scousers, so which of the 2 sets of fans are shitting the most?

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

Re: Who's more nervous about the siddy takeover?

by TBM » 03 Sep 2008 11:21

I would say Liverpool simply due to the fact of what Wenger can do with his players....

I dont think Arsenal will challenge Chelsea of Man Utd this season but i think they will finish above Liverpool

TheMaraudingDog

by TheMaraudingDog » 03 Sep 2008 11:22

Can't see City breaking into the top 4 this year as I expect them to be too far away come Jan. Think they may do next year though although they won't win the league in 5 years :roll:

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 03 Sep 2008 11:24

I would say both sets of fans in equal parts, both sets of boards have some big decisions to make regarding their financial futures going forwards. If either of them failed to qualify for the Champions League then you could see there being a large clear out of players on high wages.

TheMaraudingDog

by TheMaraudingDog » 03 Sep 2008 11:30

The rise of City could be the demise of Liverpool.

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 03 Sep 2008 11:37

Since 1990, there's been a MASSIVE decline in Liverpool's fortunes.
They've won relativley sod all really, so another Club challenging in there won't mean that much.
It makes them SICK that they haven't won the League for 19 years.

Perhaps the Clubs that usually wins the trophies in the Country would be concerned about City's fighting talk.
But actions and results, speak louder than words.

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 03 Sep 2008 11:39

it will take a hell of a spend for Citeh to have a squad capable of challenging for a Champions League place. The crunch is going to be whether they can lure players there without the option of that standard of football, certainly this season anyway. I can't see Fabregas and others dumping their clubs to go, even with the money on offer.

Streets

by Streets » 03 Sep 2008 11:40

Both clubs are in a very similar state. Arsenal's is really poop with the financial restraints they have and will have for a good few years to come.
I think for that reason it's going to be Arsenal that suffer the most. Give it 2 years though.
Wenger can't be far off a new challenge either, and then it is poop for the Goonies.

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 03 Sep 2008 11:48

I don't know where you get this financial restraints thing with Arsenal, the only debt they have is the new ground and that is not a problem for them.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 03 Sep 2008 11:48

Plus two clubs with super-rich owners in a financial pissing-war will mean that they both have to pay over the odds for all the players they go for - both transfer fees and salaries. That will drag up costs for Liverpool and Arsenal - and Man Utd too. None of the top players at those clubs will tolerate being paid less than players at other clubs, and so the wage-spiral will go on as much as the increase in transfer fees.

But in the context of this debate it means that the spending power in real terms of what Liverpool and Arsenal have to spend will get lower.

I think it's inevitable that DIC will get Liverpool sooner rather than later now - leaving Arsenal alone in their ivory towers.

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 03 Sep 2008 11:50

Dirk Gently Plus two clubs with super-rich owners in a financial pissing-war will mean that they both have to pay over the odds for all the players they go for - both transfer fees and salaries. That will drag up costs for Liverpool and Arsenal - and Man Utd too. None of the top players at those clubs will tolerate being paid less than players at other clubs, and so the wage-spiral will go on as much as the increase in transfer fees.

But in the context of this debate it means that the spending power in real terms of what Liverpool and Arsenal have to spend will get lower.

I think it's inevitable that DIC will get Liverpool sooner rather than later now - leaving Arsenal alone in their ivory towers.

To be honest, I think it will mean more of the types of transfers that Utd, Liverpool and Arsenal have been trying to make. Cheapish fledgling players that could have the potential to go on and become very good players in the future. They have more room to take a punt on players than the club below them due to the strength of their squads. Of course each of those clubs likes to try and pick up the odd big name player, some will go for money and some will go because of who the club and the manager is. I don't think this will change too much.

Streets

by Streets » 03 Sep 2008 11:51

Huntley & Palmer I don't know where you get this financial restraints thing with Arsenal, the only debt they have is the new ground and that is not a problem for them.

It's not a problem for them as long as they continue to recieve Champions League football payments and fill the place weekly. They're isn't much room for error apparently.

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 03 Sep 2008 11:56

Thats the same for any club though, no Champions League football means a big loss in earnings regardless of whether you are paying for a new stadium or not. Arsenal paid a huge chunk of the money up front, borrowed the balance from banks. They then made a huge amount of money with naming rights and the extra revenue from gate receipts. So in theory, they are in a very good position stadium wise

Streets

by Streets » 03 Sep 2008 11:59

Huntley & Palmer Thats the same for any club though, no Champions League football means a big loss in earnings regardless of whether you are paying for a new stadium or not. Arsenal paid a huge chunk of the money up front, borrowed the balance from banks. They then made a huge amount of money with naming rights and the extra revenue from gate receipts. So in theory, they are in a very good position stadium wise

'greed, but if they were to be pushed out of the top 4...suddenly things are very hard on them. And Wenger wont be there for to much longer and who else will come in with his eye for a bargain? I think Arsenal's glory days are behond them for the foreseable future, but I'm very much looking forward to seeing 5 big big clubs all chasing the championship. It'll be great viewing for the neutral.

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 03 Sep 2008 12:02

I think you mean 3 clubs seems as Liverpool haven't really chased the title for a while and you've just written off Arsenal completely.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 03 Sep 2008 12:15

TheMaraudingDog The rise of City could be the demise of Liverpool.

That has to confuse you aggers!

BTW if you were a Chelsea fan would you not be a bit nervous that now that Roman isn't the biggest boy in the playground he might decide it's not worth it any more and feck off?

Kes

by Kes » 03 Sep 2008 12:20

Citeh will launch bids for the like of Kaka, Messi and Co in January. Watch this space. They could get them too, depending on circumstances at their existing clubs.

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 03 Sep 2008 12:22

Of those 2 clubs I would definately say Liverpool. Wenger doesn't appear to need oodles of money in order to get top class players, Liverpool do.

We used to get 2 CL places, then 3, now 4. I am sure we will get 5 at some point anyway.

I wouldn't say they won't win the league in the next 5 years. 5 years is an awfully long time and many things can change. Chelsea went from obscurity to League winners in 5 years, why can't City?

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 03 Sep 2008 12:24

Kes Citeh will launch bids for the like of Kaka, Messi and Co in January. Watch this space. They could get them too, depending on circumstances at their existing clubs.

Agreed. From the things that have been said so far and with a touch of me getting carried away I think we may well see transfer records broken come the new year.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 03 Sep 2008 12:24

Following on from that I wonder if the CL and PL will exist in their current form in 5 years' time. I'm doubtful, to be honest.