Who's more nervous about the siddy takeover?

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Who's more nervous about the siddy takeover?

by soggy biscuit » 03 Sep 2008 15:32

TheMaraudingDog They'll never challenge us for the league but they'll probably win the Carling Cup so we have have to stop with the 32 years stuff.

I have never understood the 32 year stuff anyway. Is there some new rule that means league trophies from outside the top division don't count as trophies anymore?

PlasticRoyale
Hob Nob Regular

by PlasticRoyale » 03 Sep 2008 15:36

soggy biscuit
TheMaraudingDog They'll never challenge us for the league but they'll probably win the Carling Cup so we have have to stop with the 32 years stuff.

I have never understood the 32 year stuff anyway. Is there some new rule that means league trophies from outside the top division don't count as trophies anymore?

It's the taking part that counts

TheMaraudingDog

by TheMaraudingDog » 03 Sep 2008 15:40

soggy biscuit

Only massive cups count.

g

by g » 03 Sep 2008 15:58

I'm glad for City, because of the top 4's domination of the Champions League and the money they receive it was going to require a big investor to break the hold.

Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

by Southbank Old Boy » 03 Sep 2008 16:04

TheMaraudingDog
soggy biscuit I wouldn't say they won't win the league in the next 5 years. 5 years is an awfully long time and many things can change. Chelsea went from obscurity to League winners in 5 years, why can't City?

Chelsea hadn't gone 32 years without winning a trophy.
Pre RA they were recent winners of the FA Cup, League Cup and UEFA Cup. They had already attracted exciting big names such as Gullit, Vialli, Zola and already had Terry and Lampard who went on to become and still are huge players for Chelsea. They are steps ahead of where City are now.

It's true that Hoddle and then Gullit had attracted some big names, albeit mainly aging ones and the club was on the rise, but for Lampard and Terry you can count Richards and Johnson plus countless others coming through who look good

In terms of big name signings they've obviously just nabbed Robinho, but don't forget that over the last 18 months they've also bought in some decent players like Elano, Jo and Petrov

You'll have to remind me of when they won the UEFA Cup though...they did win the Cup Winners Cup in '98 mind!

You're right that City aren't as successful recently as Chelsea were, but I don't think that will have much impact when they start throwing money at players

Bill Oddie's Beard

by Bill Oddie's Beard » 04 Sep 2008 13:44

Southbank Old Boy
TheMaraudingDog
soggy biscuit I wouldn't say they won't win the league in the next 5 years. 5 years is an awfully long time and many things can change. Chelsea went from obscurity to League winners in 5 years, why can't City?

Chelsea hadn't gone 32 years without winning a trophy.
Pre RA they were recent winners of the FA Cup, League Cup and UEFA Cup. They had already attracted exciting big names such as Gullit, Vialli, Zola and already had Terry and Lampard who went on to become and still are huge players for Chelsea. They are steps ahead of where City are now.

It's true that Hoddle and then Gullit had attracted some big names, albeit mainly aging ones and the club was on the rise, but for Lampard and Terry you can count Richards and Johnson plus countless others coming through who look good

In terms of big name signings they've obviously just nabbed Robinho, but don't forget that over the last 18 months they've also bought in some decent players like Elano, Jo and Petrov

You'll have to remind me of when they won the UEFA Cup though...they did win the Cup Winners Cup in '98 mind!

You're right that City aren't as successful recently as Chelsea were, but I don't think that will have much impact when they start throwing money at players

The main difference I'd say is that Chelsea were already in the champs league when Abramovic took over making Chelsea more attractive to big name players. Having said that, but as you say the signing of Robinho and to a lesser extent the others you mentioned proves that city can attract big players without the pull of champ league. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens in January.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 04 Sep 2008 15:00

The main difference I'd say is that Chelsea were already in the champs league when Abramovic took over making Chelsea more attractive to big name players.

Only just, iirc. Scraped 4th on the last day of the season then got taken over within the month.

Have a look at their UEFA cup campaigns of the preceding seasons.

Bill Oddie's Beard

by Bill Oddie's Beard » 04 Sep 2008 15:22

papereyes
The main difference I'd say is that Chelsea were already in the champs league when Abramovic took over making Chelsea more attractive to big name players.

Only just, iirc. Scraped 4th on the last day of the season then got taken over within the month.

My point was that the fact they were in champ league when they got taken over immediately made them more desirable to potential signings.

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 04 Sep 2008 19:50

Bill Oddie's Beard
papereyes

My point was that the fact they were in champ league when they got taken over immediately made them more desirable to potential signings.

There's a lot in that.

I've read that Abramovich was looking for a CL ready team to buy.
Chelsea fitted that bill.
Cheap, but in a great location in London.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 04 Sep 2008 20:29

readingbedding
Bill Oddie's Beard
papereyes Only just, iirc. Scraped 4th on the last day of the season then got taken over within the month.

There's a lot in that.

I've read that Abramovich was looking for a CL ready team to buy.
Chelsea fitted that bill.
Cheap, but in a great location in London.

The story I'v heard is that Abramovich first tried to buy Real Madrid or Barcelona, but because they're owned by their supporters that was impossible. He was then in a helicopter over London on his way to either Fulham or Spurs (I've heard both mentioned!) when he looked down at Stamford Bridge and said "What's that?".....

The rest is history.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 04 Sep 2008 21:21

On the plus side though it will only mean that United get pushed even further ahead of Liverpool. City can help plug the gap between us and Liverpool so not all bad.

Never say never.
This news has been wonderful for City fans who have spent so many years in the shadow of their wealthy neighbours who themselves have spent absolute fortunes over the years to buy success.
I would just luv it if City built an even bigger stadium and could hear them chanting as they do the double once more "You're just a small team in Manchester".
Yes it's Man Utd that need to do the worrying as the buses from Croydon and Penzance head up the M6 and head for City's new ground and extra planes zoom into Manchester airport from the Arab States so that Arab fans can get to their new mecca and watch world superstars in action.
Fergie will self combust when for the first time in 25 years or so City finish above them.

Don't think it can't be done-Chelsea did it for nearly 3 years on the trot and if Drogba is fit will probably get there again this season.
So I think it's Man Utd that needs to worry especially as some of the best youth players are already at City as well.
Never mind though you will still have the massive potential of John O'Shea and Darren Fletcher but you might have to get used to being without Ferdinand as he'll probably forget which team he plays for and wander of to City by mistake.

The whole year inn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by The whole year inn » 04 Sep 2008 21:39

I would say TMD is pretty nervous, judging by the sheer volume of posts on the subject. They all seem to have an edge of hysteria to them :|

PlasticRoyale
Hob Nob Regular

by PlasticRoyale » 04 Sep 2008 21:57

Victor Meldrew

On the plus side though it will only mean that United get pushed even further ahead of Liverpool. City can help plug the gap between us and Liverpool so not all bad.

Never say never.
This news has been wonderful for City fans who have spent so many years in the shadow of their wealthy neighbours who themselves have spent absolute fortunes over the years to buy success.
I would just luv it if City built an even bigger stadium and could hear them chanting as they do the double once more "You're just a small team in Manchester".
Yes it's Man Utd that need to do the worrying as the buses from Croydon and Penzance head up the M6 and head for City's new ground and extra planes zoom into Manchester airport from the Arab States so that Arab fans can get to their new mecca and watch world superstars in action.
Fergie will self combust when for the first time in 25 years or so City finish above them.

Don't think it can't be done-Chelsea did it for nearly 3 years on the trot and if Drogba is fit will probably get there again this season.
So I think it's Man Utd that needs to worry especially as some of the best youth players are already at City as well.
Never mind though you will still have the massive potential of John O'Shea and Darren Fletcher but you might have to get used to being without Ferdinand as he'll probably forget which team he plays for and wander of to City by mistake.

And LOLiverpooLOL have spent nothing and fans are 100% scouse. Good luck in the UEFA cup next year

sheshnu

by sheshnu » 04 Sep 2008 23:29

Wow. Nice one.

BR2
Hob Nob Regular

by BR2 » 05 Sep 2008 13:39

PlasticRoyale
Victor Meldrew

Never say never.

And LOLiverpooLOL have spent nothing and fans are 100% scouse. Good luck in the UEFA cup next year

As I said it's Man Utd's nose that's being put out of joint as would be the case with Liverpool if a Mr Super -rich suddenly bought out Everton.
Let's have a few more wealthy Arabs doing a bit of spending which,rather being bad for our game,could be good in making the Premiership more competitive.

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 05 Sep 2008 13:59

Agreed. I use a couple of other forums and there too it would appear that it is Man Utd fans who seem most concerned.

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 05 Sep 2008 14:00

Who would Utd fans prefer to win the league, City or Liverpool? I would guess City

Deathy
Hob Nob Regular

by Deathy » 05 Sep 2008 14:16

"They'll never challenge us for the league but they'll probably win the Carling Cup so we have have to stop with the 32 years stuff."

Us? Ok. Not a Reading supporter it seems. Well then your post smells of stale skid marks. I think you might just have shit your pants there. With the money that crazy arab is happy to throw around, they'll more than challenge Manchester United for the title, they'll also give you some serious competition in the Champions League too. Like it or not, they are now a super power in football. Your neighbours, ritcher than you!

Once were Biscuitmen

by Once were Biscuitmen » 05 Sep 2008 18:29

The city supporters should be more worried about 20,000 mongtards from the homecounties suddenly discovering, "that their Dad supported Man city" and turning up every other week destroying the identity and credibility of the club.

PlasticRoyale
Hob Nob Regular

by PlasticRoyale » 05 Sep 2008 20:44

Deathy "They'll never challenge us for the league but they'll probably win the Carling Cup so we have have to stop with the 32 years stuff."

Us? Ok. Not a Reading supporter it seems. Well then your post smells of stale skid marks. I think you might just have shit your pants there. With the money that crazy arab is happy to throw around, they'll more than challenge Manchester United for the title, they'll also give you some serious competition in the Champions League too. Like it or not, they are now a super power in football. Your neighbours, ritcher than you!

FCUK OFF NEWBIE!!