Which side for a Corner ?????

woodley_royal_124

Which side for a Corner ?????

by woodley_royal_124 » 18 Sep 2009 22:13

In my observations of the game, I have yet to work out how the referee decides which side a corner has to be taken from, when a goalkeeper manages to tip a football directly over the bar and out of play, midway between the goal posts ? Obviously if the ball goes either to the left or right hand side then its simple but when the ball appears to go over the bar and remain mid-way behind the goal, well, I would like to know !

Arnie_Pie
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Which side for a Corner ?????

by Arnie_Pie » 20 Sep 2009 20:32

Not sure but interestingly, if a team takes a throw in and the ball goes into their own net without anybody touching it, a corner should be awarded to the other team and not an own goal.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 20 Sep 2009 22:52

Arnie_Pie Not sure but interestingly, if a team takes a throw in and the ball goes into their own net without anybody touching it, a corner should be awarded to the other team and not an own goal.

Cos they are indirect

AbovetheI
Hob Nob Regular

by AbovetheI » 21 Sep 2009 01:09

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18QsjFUquD8

Did Enkleman touch this then? Or should the ref have given a corner?

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 21 Sep 2009 16:10

woodley_royal_124 In my observations of the game, I have yet to work out how the referee decides which side a corner has to be taken from, when a goalkeeper manages to tip a football directly over the bar and out of play, midway between the goal posts ? Obviously if the ball goes either to the left or right hand side then its simple but when the ball appears to go over the bar and remain mid-way behind the goal, well, I would like to know !

He awards it on the side he feels the ball was. In other words, he guesses.

sheshnu

by sheshnu » 21 Sep 2009 16:15

AbovetheI http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18QsjFUquD8

Did Enkleman touch this then? Or should the ref have given a corner?

Should have been a corner, but the ref will tell you that Enkelman's reaction was evidence that he touched it.

by 1960 » 21 Sep 2009 16:40

My beef is with goal kicks. The rule on this changed years ago for some reason. You previously had to take the goal kick from the side it went out, but now you can take it from any side. Cue goalies who take them from the left all game, but when they are winning 1-0 with 5 minutes to go they suddenly fancy taking it from whichever side is furthest from where they are standing or where the ball is in non-multiball games. Referees can do nothing about this, but I see it as blatant time-wasting. Bring back the old rule I say.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 21 Sep 2009 17:09

1960 My beef is with goal kicks. The rule on this changed years ago for some reason. You previously had to take the goal kick from the side it went out, but now you can take it from any side. Cue goalies who take them from the left all game, but when they are winning 1-0 with 5 minutes to go they suddenly fancy taking it from whichever side is furthest from where they are standing or where the ball is in non-multiball games. Referees can do nothing about this, but I see it as blatant time-wasting. Bring back the old rule I say.

Or make it consistant so you can do the same from corners.

Jerry St Clair
Hob Nob Regular

by Jerry St Clair » 21 Sep 2009 19:47

Stranded
1960 My beef is with goal kicks. The rule on this changed years ago for some reason. You previously had to take the goal kick from the side it went out, but now you can take it from any side. Cue goalies who take them from the left all game, but when they are winning 1-0 with 5 minutes to go they suddenly fancy taking it from whichever side is furthest from where they are standing or where the ball is in non-multiball games. Referees can do nothing about this, but I see it as blatant time-wasting. Bring back the old rule I say.

Absobloddyexactly

Deathy
Hob Nob Regular

by Deathy » 21 Sep 2009 19:50

Jerry St Clair
Stranded

Absobloddyexactly

What they said.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 23 Sep 2009 10:33

Referees can do something about it !

Add on time, caution the player.... up to the ref to decide whether the player is deliberately timewasting but in any case the watch can be stopped.

If you returned to the old rule you would still get the same problem - the keeper 'accidently' goes to the wrong side, ref points it out, keeper apologisies....

As for which side do you take the corner from, it's whichever side the ref decides and there is probably one chance in a million that the ball goes exactly across the top of the goal !

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 23 Sep 2009 11:34

I know it's the ref that decides.

I just think that when the ball crosses the goal-line, then the team whose ball it is gets to choose which side they get to take the resultant corner/goal kick from - you either have it for both or neither.

sheshnu

by sheshnu » 23 Sep 2009 13:12

Makes very little difference which side the goal kick is taken from really. The side from which a corner is taken can make a huge difference...

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 23 Sep 2009 13:38

sheshnu Makes very little difference which side the goal kick is taken from really. The side from which a corner is taken can make a huge difference...

Does it really though. Most sides have different takers depending on the side it is on and what they want to do with the corner (in/out swinger).

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 23 Sep 2009 13:46

If the ball goes out on the left side of the goal then the corner taken from the left side and if it goes out on the right hand side then the corner is taken on the right hand side.

If the ball goes over the bar the ref makes a decision as to which side he thought ball was heading

Goalkicks can be taken from anywhere within the 6 yard box - its up to the keeper.

sheshnu

by sheshnu » 23 Sep 2009 14:52

Stranded Does it really though. Most sides have different takers depending on the side it is on and what they want to do with the corner (in/out swinger).

I'd say it matters which side a corner is taken from far more than a goal kick. I see what you're saying and a team full of professional footballers should be able to cope either way; but if I had Beckham in my team I'd want him taking most set pieces, and an in-swinging corner routine is different from an out-swinging one for both attackers and defenders. Usually. Isn't it? Actually I realise now that's just something I've always kinda assumed. Maybe you're right and they should just take them from anywhere :?:

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 23 Sep 2009 15:11

There a massive difference between a corner and a goal kick !

Obviously a corner is an attacking move which frequently leads to a goal. A goal kick is not !

Allowing an attacking side to chose which side they take the kick from could give them a huge advantage, taking a goal kick from one side or the other gives no advantage. All goal kicks are effectively taken from the same place.

Why not extend it and say you should be allowed to take throw ons from either side of the pitch irrespective of where the ball left the pitch ?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 23 Sep 2009 19:39

Sun Tzu There a massive difference between a corner and a goal kick !

Obviously a corner is an attacking move which frequently leads to a goal. A goal kick is not !

Allowing an attacking side to chose which side they take the kick from could give them a huge advantage, taking a goal kick from one side or the other gives no advantage. All goal kicks are effectively taken from the same place.

Why not extend it and say you should be allowed to take throw ons from either side of the pitch irrespective of where the ball left the pitch ?

I'd argue frequently is completely inaccurate. Goal kicks can lead to goals too. Although I agree with the spirit of what you're saying.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 23 Sep 2009 21:12

woodley_royal_124 In my observations of the game, I have yet to work out how the referee decides which side a corner has to be taken from, when a goalkeeper manages to tip a football directly over the bar and out of play, midway between the goal posts ? Obviously if the ball goes either to the left or right hand side then its simple but when the ball appears to go over the bar and remain mid-way behind the goal, well, I would like to know !

Just makes a snap judgement.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 23 Sep 2009 21:12

Arnie_Pie Not sure but interestingly, if a team takes a throw in and the ball goes into their own net without anybody touching it, a corner should be awarded to the other team and not an own goal.

Correct.